Forums/Armchair-GM

Unconventional Thinking

Created by: Steven_Stamkos
Team: 2023-24 Tampa Bay Lightning
Initial Creation Date: May 28, 2023
Published: Jun. 17, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Just experimenting. Several angles and theories regarding this team. In this scenario I'm trying to get a hold on the cap situation for the next couple years. Stamkos and Hedman will be making less money for their next contracts so that creates some wiggle room in addition to the cap going up.

Again, this is me just experimenting with possible fits in the lineup, which direction to go in, and how to reshape the team around the core.

Sprong and Kartye flourished this season in Seattle so the inclination to move either of them is likely low. However maybe they consider getting heavier while not completely giving up the goal scoring Sprong had. Colton still has a ceiling to hit, although I don't think it's as insane as some people may have you think. Seattle gets a bottom 9 two way forward who is highly physical and has potential to bury plenty of biscuits for them. Also probably a more reliable option than Sprong since Sprong has been labeled a dud up until his performance last season. Tampa gets a guy who can contribute offensively through his shot.
Realistically, I wouldn't do this trade as Seattle since it's more risk than reward. But let me know what you think as far as value goes. Not whether or not Tampa or Seattle says no or if there is a fit, I just want a straight up value analysis.

Prospect swap with Colorado who also really has no inclination to trade a guy who they just signed in March. But I'm a Pavel fan so sue me.

I really don't want to see Maroon in the lineup. Perry can play 12th with Maroon behind him.

Kiviranta brings speed and skill to the bottom 9. Maybe a change of scenery allows him to unlock a new level in his play. I think it's a possibility.

Balcers in the minors. If Kartye is struggling then send him down as he's exempt and bring up Balcers or ABB.

Jeannot and JBB will have lots of eyes on him this season to determine his future. I wouldn't be opposed to flipping him back to a team that would want him. Would we "lose" the initial Jeannot trade? Yes. But if that's the case then we may be able to recoup a need within the roster even if on paper we get less value than what we traded him for.

These are all just ideas, not exactly what I think we should do. No one is king forever, and eventually the well will run dry. I don't think pinching penny's for the next 3-5 years is a good plan given how shallow the pool is.

I don't expect there to be this much overhaul of the roster. I think we see guys make the team out of camp. I doubt we sign or trade for 4+ new faces.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,200,000
2$900,000
2$815,000
3$2,400,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
1$775,000
2$1,000,000
Trades
TBL
CHI
  1. Myers, Philippe
  2. Seabrook, Brent
  3. 2023 7th round pick (ANA)
  4. 2024 4th round pick (CHI)
SEA
  1. Colton, Ross [RFA Rights]
  2. Fortier, Gabriel [RFA Rights]
  3. 2024 3rd round pick (TBL)
  4. 2025 4th round pick (TBL)
COL
  1. Capone, Nick [Reserve List]
  2. 2023 7th round pick (TBL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TBL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$83,071,667$0$57,500$428,333

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 8
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$2,400,000$2,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$859,167$859,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
UFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 8
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,200,000$5,200,000
RD
UFA - 8
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 17, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
Miss YA Killer
Clearly I am one of the people you referred to. Just think this would be trading away Marchessault or Verheaghe again and not worth it.
Jun. 17, 2023 at 6:26 p.m.
i wont sue ya, we all should be pavel fans. he'll get a shot pretty quickly with the Avs, i think.
Steven_Stamkos and TJTwolf liked this.
Jun. 17, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
Quoting: Boltsradynasty
Clearly I am one of the people you referred to. Just think this would be trading away Marchessault or Verheaghe again and not worth it.

No I'm not man. I agree, I wouldn't trade him either, these are just ideas/alternatives to keeping him. I love Colton. I hope that's not the case. Colton has the tools, but he has a long way to go. He has the shot power, but he's not great at shooting off the rush unless he is completely free of pressure (2 on 1 or 3 on 1 scenario), his one timer (while lethal) needs lots of work. His stickhandling is significantly worse than that of Marchy or Verhaeghe, as well as several other members currently on the roster. Point, Kuch, Hagel, Stamkos, Eyssimont, Paul. When you get to a certain point, it becomes part of your game. Very rare for someone in their late 20s or 30s to suddenly turn into Brayden Point with their ability to put the puck on a string and be comfortable in the middle of the ice. He has great puck protection, but he's very 1 dimensional with how he moves with the puck. He can cut back/buttonhook and skate linearly with the puck, but he has poor control moving laterally and cutting between defenders to get to the middle of the ice, which is his biggest problem. He's a perimeter, netfront, and below the goal line player. He's only 26 and I really don't see him in any place other than Tampa next year, but this is just a possibility to consider.
Boltsradynasty and zibby805 liked this.
Jun. 17, 2023 at 6:36 p.m.
Quoting: swissmontana
i wont sue ya, we all should be pavel fans. he'll get a shot pretty quickly with the Avs, i think.

I agree. I mean there's no harm in giving him a look over guys who have already proven they aren't ready or "worthy" of a regular roster spot. Ben Myers, Sampo Ranta, Gally, Maltsev, Hudon. I'm not speaking very accurately about their capabilities, as I am not that familiar with those players except Galchenyuk, but it seems like they plugged in a TON of guys into that bottom 6 last year and almost all them failed to put something together. A teams locker room stability due to injuries obviously plays a factor in that, but Pavel plays like Shaq, which speaks volumes about how easily he could make the jump to playing with men
swissmontana and TJTwolf liked this.
Jun. 17, 2023 at 6:40 p.m.
Miss YA Killer
Quoting: Steven_Stamkos
No I'm not man. I agree, I wouldn't trade him either, these are just ideas/alternatives to keeping him. I love Colton. I hope that's not the case. Colton has the tools, but he has a long way to go. He has the shot power, but he's not great at shooting off the rush unless he is completely free of pressure (2 on 1 or 3 on 1 scenario), his one timer (while lethal) needs lots of work. His stickhandling is significantly worse than that of Marchy or Verhaeghe, as well as several other members currently on the roster. Point, Kuch, Hagel, Stamkos, Eyssimont, Paul. When you get to a certain point, it becomes part of your game. Very rare for someone in their late 20s or 30s to suddenly turn into Brayden Point with their ability to put the puck on a string and be comfortable in the middle of the ice. He has great puck protection, but he's very 1 dimensional with how he moves with the puck. He can cut back/buttonhook and skate linearly with the puck, but he has poor control moving laterally and cutting between defenders to get to the middle of the ice, which is his biggest problem. He's a perimeter, netfront, and below the goal line player. He's only 26 and I really don't see him in any place other than Tampa next year, but this is just a possibility to consider.

I however disagree it's worse than Verheaghe or Marchessault's were while they were here. TB has a track record of guy improving more in their mid-late 20's
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Jun. 17, 2023 at 6:41 p.m.
I agree. I mean there's no harm in giving him a look over guys who have already proven they aren't ready or "worthy" of a regular roster spot. Ben Myers, Sampo Ranta, Gally, Maltsev, Hudon. I'm not speaking very accurately about their capabilities, as I am not that familiar with those players except Galchenyuk, but it seems like they plugged in a TON of guys into that bottom 6 last year and almost all them failed to put something together. A teams locker room stability due to injuries obviously plays a factor in that, but Pavel plays like Shaq.

You pretty much nailed it, except for Meyers. Just insanely unlucky finishing, but his underlying metrics were pretty decent. He'll get an offer to stick around and might even start the season in the 4C.

Pavel will get some time for sure, I'd expect maybe a 20-40 game season to start.

Galchenyuk had a good AHL year. Sounds like he learned how to play some D. There's some local chatter that he might get a real look in training camp but I'm holding my breath. The rest, you're correct.
Steven_Stamkos and TJTwolf liked this.
Jun. 17, 2023 at 6:43 p.m.
I however disagree it's worse than Verheaghe or Marchessault's were while they were here. TB has a track record of guy improving more in their mid-late 20's

I didn't mean when they were here, I meant currently. I know that
Jun. 17, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
Pavel won't get traded like that. It leaves a nasty smell to sign a guy out of college and then trade him immediately. Especially for some bits and pieces.
Jun. 17, 2023 at 6:59 p.m.
I really wouldnt want to give up colton unless hes asking for like 3.75 or more but if we did have to I do really like this return. I also really like the idea of kiviranta. Perry looks like he is testing Free Agency which means he wont be returning and as far as jeannot goes they have to be willing to at least give him 2 mil considering what they gave up and his potential. I completely agree about maroon, he is not an NHL caliber player anymore and we need to start giving some of the prospects a shot considering how raddysh is playing in chicago, we know that we still have talent down in syracuse, they just need a chance. Would love to see goncalves get some time but I also would not be opposed to trying out some hidden gems that could be found. I really wanted fredrik olofsson but colorado picked him up, I really hope we pick up Matthew Phillips. He has tons of speed and good stick handling but wasnt given a chance in Calgary because he is undersized.
Jun. 17, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Blackhawks
I think the Hawks are hoping to get better picks for taking on any kind of cap. But if teams aren’t willing to part with their 1sts/2nds this year to dump cap, I could see the Hawks doing something like this, or something close to it. Maybe up the pick to a 3rd, rather than a 4th + 7th.

I appreciate an ACGM with this much thought + explanation put into it
Jun. 17, 2023 at 7:20 p.m.
Quoting: Patches
I think the Hawks are hoping to get better picks for taking on any kind of cap. But if teams aren’t willing to part with their 1sts/2nds this year to dump cap, I could see the Hawks doing something like this, or something close to it. Maybe up the pick to a 3rd, rather than a 4th + 7th.

I appreciate an ACGM with this much thought + explanation put into it

I appreciate the civil, and insightful response
Jun. 17, 2023 at 7:42 p.m.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sprong available as a UFA. I don't think Seattle tenders him since he has arbitration rights (If my memory is working correctly). With him not being tendered they have some space for either Kartye, Lind, or Geekie at wing.
Steven_Stamkos and zibby805 liked this.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.

Those players don’t turn into what they are today if they remained on Tampa. There is simply not enough playing time available for them to fully develop their game. That is a problem I am ok with having as our top 6 is still one of the best in my opinion. Trade colton, get younger and faster. Let him thrive somewhere else and make a career for himself
Jun. 18, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.
Miss YA Killer
Quoting: Jukinators
Those players don’t turn into what they are today if they remained on Tampa. There is simply not enough playing time available for them to fully develop their game. That is a problem I am ok with having as our top 6 is still one of the best in my opinion. Trade colton, get younger and faster. Let him thrive somewhere else and make a career for himself

No give him Cirelli and Stamkos he becomes that guy!!
Jun. 18, 2023 at 7:51 p.m.
Miss YA Killer
I didn't mean when they were here, I meant currently. I know that

But he's better than they were when they left at the similar age let's not develope him for another team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll