LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$813,333$813,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
G
RFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Leafs have 0 need for Vladar

Samsonov/Woll is the tandem
mferraro, MitchMafia and RipNasty liked this.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I'm not sure Anderson, Gavrikov and Hanifin isn't an overload on the left side, but it's hard to argue over the value in that deal.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
Birddog
Vladar doesn’t have any value to Toronto with Samsonov playing better and Woll showing more potential.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Leafs have no need for Vladar or to move Muzzin.
RipNasty liked this.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
Flyers take that. Sanheim has a NTC kicking in on July 1st. Even still, I think Calgary is a sure bet he’s waive to go to since he’s from there
GMDannyB liked this.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:53 p.m.
Cowan Season
Leafs say no. They’re not trading a great looking prospect for a goalie they have little use for
RipNasty liked this.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 5:12 p.m.
Danny B is here
Flyers easily accept
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Newtown
Vladar doesn’t have any value to Toronto with Samsonov playing better and Woll showing more potential.

Woll played better than both.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
Leafs have 0 need for Vladar

Samsonov/Woll is the tandem

Hell I am fine with Woll/Murray if Samsonov wants more than 3.5 million or if it costs too much to move Murray. Woll's better than Samsonov.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: RipNasty
Hell I am fine with Woll/Murray if Samsonov wants more than 3.5 million or if it costs too much to move Murray. Woll's better than Samsonov.

Yeah no. Way to risky

Samsonov has every right to ask for more than 3.5mill and has earned it

Unless your doing a 1 year deal anything more as mentioned its gonna be more

Villie Husso had a very similar season signed 4.75m x 3 years. If your gonna use Georgiev and Vanacek dont both had worse numbers when they signed those deals. Sammy's numbers are very similar to Husso's when he signed his deal.

Sammy is probs gonna sign a 4-4.75mill x 3-4 year deal here
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:19 p.m.
Rip
Yeah no. Way to risky

Samsonov has every right to ask for more than 3.5mill and has earned it

Villie Husso had a very similar season signed 4.75m x 3 years

Sammy is probs gonna sign a 4-4.5mill x 3 year deal here

Then I would trade him. Samsonov is not the guy. Sure he had some good games in the playoffs but man did he have some stinkers as well and he wasn't often the best goalie in a game. Woll was and he didn't let in a bad goal all year. Samsonov was terrible in game 1. He was terrible in game 5 vs Tampa and he was the reason we lost game 2 vs Florida. Why pay a guy 4+ million if he can't do it when it counts? Murray has proven he knows how to handle playoff pressure when healthy at least.

Too many people on here ignore the very visible warts in Samsonov's game and just point to his regular season. That is not wise.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:30 p.m.
Birddog
Woll played better than both.

Woll has potential. He looks more technically sound than Sammy but it’s still a very short sample size. The true test of any goalie is how he handles adversity and the mental side of the game. That’s still TBD with Woll, but he looks promising.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Then I would trade him. Samsonov is not the guy. Sure he had some good games in the playoffs but man did he have some stinkers as well and he wasn't often the best goalie in a game. Woll was and he didn't let in a bad goal all year. Samsonov was terrible in game 1. He was terrible in game 5 vs Tampa and he was the reason we lost game 2 vs Florida. Why pay a guy 4+ million if he can't do it when it counts? Murray has proven he knows how to handle playoff pressure when healthy at least.

Too many people on here ignore the very visible warts in Samsonov's game and just point to his regular season. That is not wise.

We cant just keep going from one starter to another within 4 years its been

Anderson
Campbell
Mrazek
Murray
Samsonov

Enough is enough. Samsonov did very well here and got them to the second round and wasnt even 100% healthy. Its time for stability not oh he wants to much lets go gamble again
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:32 p.m.
Rip
Woll has potential. He looks more technically sound than Sammy but it’s still a very short sample size. The true test of any goalie is how he handles adversity and the mental side of the game. That’s still TBD with Woll, but he looks promising.

I don't know how his playoff performance hasn't answered those questions. Comes in for game 4 when the team is down 3-0 and plays unreal. Was also terrific in game 5, the game winner was blatant interference on Gudas. Woll is the real deal and his mental game is better than Samsonov by a huge margin. Sammy loses his confidence and swims around. He had a lot of nervous moments in the playoffs. Woll didn't.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
Rip
We cant just keep going from one starter to another within 4 years its been

Anderson
Campbell
Mrazek
Murray
Samsonov

Enough is enough. Samsonov did very well here and got them to the second round and wasnt even 100% healthy. Its time for stability not oh he wants to much lets go gamble again

Did he get us there? Seemed like Matthews willed the team there and JT as well. Samsonov had loads of nervous moments. He literally is a gamble. He was the 2nd best goalie in almost every game of the playoffs. The leafs got lucky vs Tampa. He doesn't deserve the credit he's getting.

I am sick of seeing subpar goaltending. Woll's mental game is just superior to Sammy's. Sammy is a 1B not a starter
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:40 p.m.
Birddog
I don't know how his playoff performance hasn't answered those questions. Comes in for game 4 when the team is down 3-0 and plays unreal. Was also terrific in game 5, the game winner was blatant interference on Gudas. Woll is the real deal and his mental game is better than Samsonov by a huge margin. Sammy loses his confidence and swims around. He had a lot of nervous moments in the playoffs. Woll didn't.

You don’t answer those questions in a couple games. Interference or not, that shot was still stoppable. He does look very promising and the true test isn’t a couple games or one goal but how he responds. We’ve seen goalies post good backup numbers and then falter when they were handed the reigns. We’ve seen goalies play well in the regular season and then falter in the playoffs like Anderson. We’ve seen goalies be all-stars and then be trash like Campbell. We’ve seen young goalies come in and look all-world and then be meh like Oettinger. Maybe Vegas had it right — get 5 and hopefully one will pan out. Hill really was Vegas’ 4th string goalie with only Quick behind him.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:53 p.m.
Did he get us there? Seemed like Matthews willed the team there and JT as well. Samsonov had loads of nervous moments. He literally is a gamble. He was the 2nd best goalie in almost every game of the playoffs. The leafs got lucky vs Tampa. He doesn't deserve the credit he's getting.

I am sick of seeing subpar goaltending. Woll's mental game is just superior to Sammy's. Sammy is a 1B not a starter

Sammy in game 6 was a big reason they won the series yes and wasnt 100% healthy. Heck u can argue the same games 3 and 4 as even though he lets 2 or 3 in he then shut the gate. He and Woll are the guys to use for 2023-2024 and going tandem is the future. Ask Boston, Carolina, Pittsburgh, VGK, ETC
Jun. 18, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
Rip
You don’t answer those questions in a couple games. Interference or not, that shot was still stoppable. He does look very promising and the true test isn’t a couple games or one goal but how he responds. We’ve seen goalies post good backup numbers and then falter when they were handed the reigns. We’ve seen goalies play well in the regular season and then falter in the playoffs like Anderson. We’ve seen goalies be all-stars and then be trash like Campbell. We’ve seen young goalies come in and look all-world and then be meh like Oettinger. Maybe Vegas had it right — get 5 and hopefully one will pan out. Hill really was Vegas’ 4th string goalie with only Quick behind him.

And yet Samsonov has answered all the questions? Is he mentally tough enough? His horrible goals he let in during the playoffs is an answer to those questions.

My question for Samsonov was is he going to let in softies in the playoffs. Just killers that absolutely kill your confidence. He did, several of them. That's enough for me. We let go of Campbell because he was the 2nd best goalie in every round he played for TO. Same with Andersen. Sammy is the same.

I just don't have confidence in Sammy
Jun. 18, 2023 at 7:22 p.m.
Birddog
And yet Samsonov has answered all the questions? Is he mentally tough enough? His horrible goals he let in during the playoffs is an answer to those questions.

My question for Samsonov was is he going to let in softies in the playoffs. Just killers that absolutely kill your confidence. He did, several of them. That's enough for me. We let go of Campbell because he was the 2nd best goalie in every round he played for TO. Same with Andersen. Sammy is the same.

I just don't have confidence in Sammy

I didn’t say Sammy answered all the questions. My post didn’t even mention Sammy, so I’m not sure what you are getting at. What I said is there are always questions, especially with young goalies and it’s better to have a couple good ones just in case.
RipNasty liked this.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 8:52 p.m.
Rip
I didn’t say Sammy answered all the questions. My post didn’t even mention Sammy, so I’m not sure what you are getting at. What I said is there are always questions, especially with young goalies and it’s better to have a couple good ones just in case.

I agree, but I think Murray mentoring Woll and being a 1B to Woll the 1A is going to be good I think. How Woll played in the playoffs, he's going to play next year. Sammy certainly didn't give me confidence that he's the answer, so how much do we pay him? 4+ million? I don't like that deal if Woll ends up taking the top spot which I think he will. So if Samsonov wants more than 3.5, (my personal choice would be 2x2.5) then I would trade him and hope Murray can stay healthy enough to play 30-37 games. Woll the rest. Won't cost us more and I am more confident in that that I was with Murray/Samsonov the year before.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 12:18 a.m.
I think Calgary can get way more for Hanifin but just not for LA. But if you're looking at Arvidsson than a deal for Zadorov and Vladar would work better for LA. It gives Calgary better opportunity to sign Hanifin long-term or trade him for a higher value return
Jun. 19, 2023 at 12:54 a.m.
Birddog
I agree, but I think Murray mentoring Woll and being a 1B to Woll the 1A is going to be good I think. How Woll played in the playoffs, he's going to play next year. Sammy certainly didn't give me confidence that he's the answer, so how much do we pay him? 4+ million? I don't like that deal if Woll ends up taking the top spot which I think he will. So if Samsonov wants more than 3.5, (my personal choice would be 2x2.5) then I would trade him and hope Murray can stay healthy enough to play 30-37 games. Woll the rest. Won't cost us more and I am more confident in that that I was with Murray/Samsonov the year before.

Murray has issues. He lost his composure more than a few times this season. Seems to be an ongoing issue going back to his days in Pittsburg. He doesn’t handle adversity well. When he won in Pittsburg he was young, with nothing to lose. He hasn’t been a good goalie for a long time and wouldn’t be my first choice to mentor a young goalie.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:54 a.m.
Rip
Murray has issues. He lost his composure more than a few times this season. Seems to be an ongoing issue going back to his days in Pittsburg. He doesn’t handle adversity well. When he won in Pittsburg he was young, with nothing to lose. He hasn’t been a good goalie for a long time and wouldn’t be my first choice to mentor a young goalie.

You don't win the cup twice if you can't handle adversity. He just can't stay healthy. But as a backup, he'd be better. Less pressure and less mileage on the body.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 10:03 a.m.
Birddog
You don't win the cup twice if you can't handle adversity. He just can't stay healthy. But as a backup, he'd be better. Less pressure and less mileage on the body.

There are plenty of examples of young rookie goalies coming into the league, lighting it on fire and then turning into sieves. Jordan Binnington is the biggest name that comes to mind. St. Louis is in the playoffs if he isn’t this bad. Leaf fans should be familiar with Andrew Raycroft. Corey Schnieder went to the cup finals his rookie year. Cam Ward won a cup as a rookie and in the next 14 years only made the playoffs once.

With all the video and advanced stats, sometimes the league figures you out. Murray’s weakness is his glove. Not high glove where most players shoot, but low glove. He was one of the first goalies to show this weakness because it just wasn’t common to shoot low glove, but a high % of his goals allowed were there. Now it’s not uncommon for shooters to shoot low glove and sneak one in under the arm. An inability to adjust, plus injuries which have hampered his athleticism have turned Murray into a below average goalie.

Murray won both cups as a rookie. He played so few games his first year he was still considered a rookie in his second year. The league started to figure hin out shortly after that.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 10:15 a.m.
Rip
There are plenty of examples of young rookie goalies coming into the league, lighting it on fire and then turning into sieves. Jordan Binnington is the biggest name that comes to mind. St. Louis is in the playoffs if he isn’t this bad. Leaf fans should be familiar with Andrew Raycroft. Corey Schnieder went to the cup finals his rookie year. Cam Ward won a cup as a rookie and in the next 14 years only made the playoffs once.

With all the video and advanced stats, sometimes the league figures you out. Murray’s weakness is his glove. Not high glove where most players shoot, but low glove. He was one of the first goalies to show this weakness because it just wasn’t common to shoot low glove, but a high % of his goals allowed were there. Now it’s not uncommon for shooters to shoot low glove and sneak one in under the arm. An inability to adjust, plus injuries which have hampered his athleticism have turned Murray into a below average goalie.

Murray won both cups as a rookie. He played so few games his first year he was still considered a rookie in his second year. The league started to figure hin out shortly after that.

He did have the single best performance as a goalie in a game this past season. From a goals saved above expected in a game. It was the one vs Dallas where he was absolutely crazy good on the game. That whole part of the season was lights out. Then he hurt his ankle and struggled. Which happens. However, he has proven he can win, was good for stretches last year and as your 2nd goalie, you can do a lot worse.

Samsonov proved he can have good stretches as well but he also struggled in the playoffs. Woll was unbeatable in the AHL, lights out in the regular season on the leafs and was stellar in the playoffs when he played. He's also less than a million for 2 seasons! He's a part of the equation no matter what. If Sammy is cool to sign a 2 year deal at 3.5 or less, then keep him. If he wants 5 years at close to 5, trade him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll