Forums/Armchair-GM

lowbs

Created by: lowblocksniper
Team: 2023-24 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 19, 2023
Published: Jun. 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I could see Pittsburgh bringing back Dumoulin but, I thought shaking things up might make things better for them so I went with a younger player in Graves.
I think Pittsburgh will be interested in either Bertuzzi or Bunting and have a good chance of landing one of them, I went with Bertuzzi since I think he`s the better player in my opinion.
I traded for Fleury, who despite his no trade, I think would wave it to go back and probably end his career in Pittsburgh and the Wild are pinching pennies for the next two years so clearing 1.7mil, getting a backup and a pick helps them a lot.
I traded for Blackwood instead of RFA signing him since it would cost the Pens a little less. Blackwood needs a fresh start after all the injuries he`s been through recently and battling Fleury for the starting job would be good for him and the team.
I don`t mind not trading DeSmith and Resigning Jarry, I just think Pittsburgh needs some change.
The Penguins might be worried about taking on too much of a Cap hit with Guentzel needing to resign but, even after signing these guys they should have enough to keep him long term if he wants to stay.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
2$1,100,000
3$2,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,250,000
1$1,750,000
3$2,250,000
4$4,500,000
1$1,250,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Fleury, Marc-André
  2. 2023 6th round pick (MIN)
MIN
  1. DeSmith, Casey
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (NJD)
PIT
  1. Blackwood, Mackenzie [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 7th round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. 2023 5th round pick (PIT)
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (VGK)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$76,193,925$0$0$7,306,075
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,125,000$3,125,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
UFA - 6
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 19, 2023 at 12:29 p.m.
I’d do that
Jun. 19, 2023 at 12:42 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
So the problems with goaltending and forward depth appear to be the exact same as all recent seasons.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
MNBassman
The Wild would/should take that and run!!
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
The Wild would/should take that and run!!

The hell they do. DeSmith isn't any better, and the supposed cap savings doesn't help. Or do you want to keep Reaves? Because that's all they'll be able to afford with their newfound *cap savings*.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
Pretty bad goaltending moves - in my opinion at least. Desmith is as good as Fleury and better than Blackwood. And cheaper than both.

No improvements to the 3rd line really either - which was the biggest issue for this team last season in my eyes.
LFG and jfkst1 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
So, here's the major plot hole in your plan.

You think Fleury waves because it's the Pens.

Here's the reality.

Flower has stated unequivocally in multiple interviews that he has ZERO desire to play anywhere else and have to move his family again. So even IF it was Pittsburgh calling, I think he turns it down. At this point, the only way he retires a Penguin is if they sign him to a one day contract when he's ready to retire.
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:10 p.m.
Devils say yes
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:11 p.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: RazWild
The hell they do. DeSmith isn't any better, and the supposed cap savings doesn't help. Or do you want to keep Reaves? Because that's all they'll be able to afford with their newfound *cap savings*.

I don’t think DeSmith is much better either…I just like the upgrade from a 6th to a 3rd.
Caerii liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
LBS

Wild still need to bring back Gustavsson he`ll probably ask for around 4mil, need to replace Dumba on the Top 4 could cost them another 4mil and even with Rossi making the jump to the NHL they need 2 more forwards just to get 12 and only have 9mil in space, not counting the scratches in which every team usually carries at least 2 guys. Freeing up 1.7mil does help.
I never said the Wild getting DeSmith makes them a better team in net btu, gives them more cap flexibilty and a higher pick.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
LBS
So, here's the major plot hole in your plan.

You think Fleury waves because it's the Pens.

Here's the reality.

Flower has stated unequivocally in multiple interviews that he has ZERO desire to play anywhere else and have to move his family again. So even IF it was Pittsburgh calling, I think he turns it down. At this point, the only way he retires a Penguin is if they sign him to a one day contract when he's ready to retire.

That`s fine, did he say that before or after he lost the starting job to Gustavsson? Anyway, I did say the Pens bringing back Jarry would work too.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:22 p.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
I don’t think DeSmith is much better either…I just like the upgrade from a 6th to a 3rd.

Maybe so.

But, we're very likely going to get at least a 2nd for Addison's rights anyway for this years draft. So I don't see the point of trying to pressure to move a guy who DOESN'T want to move to get yet another high pick.
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:26 p.m.
LBS
Quoting: JSEB93
Pretty bad goaltending moves - in my opinion at least. Desmith is as good as Fleury and better than Blackwood. And cheaper than both.

No improvements to the 3rd line really either - which was the biggest issue for this team last season in my eyes.

Blackwood has been injury prone the last few years but, I would still consider him better than DeSmith and he is 5 years younger.
I might be taking Fleury for the story\nostalgia but, it doen`t make the Penguins worse and keeping DeSmith and Jarry is something I`dbe fine with if Jarry can bounce back.
You could skip the big name signing and go for more balance, I wouldn`t personally.
3rd and 4th lines are going to need guys to step up.
JSEB93 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:29 p.m.
LBS
Quoting: jfkst1
So the problems with goaltending and forward depth appear to be the exact same as all recent seasons.

Unfortunately, yes. Unless you ignore the big name Guys like Bertuzzi and go for more balance and Goaltending is always hit or miss outside of the Elite guys that Pitt can`t really afford
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:31 p.m.
Quoting: lowblocksniper
That`s fine, did he say that before or after he lost the starting job to Gustavsson? Anyway, I did say the Pens bringing back Jarry would work too.

He's stated it both before and after that happened. Specifically, the last time it was brought up is while he was giving his exit interviews after the playoffs ended. So he'd lost his starting job to Gustavsson long before then.

According to our two local beat writers Michael Russo and Joe Smith. Flower is more than willing and comfortable with the idea of being the backup for Gustavsson next season, as he's quite proud of the way Gustavsson played this past year.

Conversely, Gustavsson credits a lot of his improvements this year to being able to learn from Fleury. So there is a lockerroom aspect that can't be ignored either.
lowblocksniper and MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:33 p.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Unfortunately, yes. Unless you ignore the big name Guys like Bertuzzi and go for more balance and Goaltending is always hit or miss outside of the Elite guys that Pitt can`t really afford

If they go for a big name UFA forward I hope it is Bunting. He is 27 and might still have better years ahead. Bertuzzi has major durability issues. Goaltenders are inconsistent, which is why I wouldn't bring in an old expensive one like Fleury or a more expensive unproven backup like Blackwood.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
Blackwood has been injury prone the last few years but, I would still consider him better than DeSmith and he is 5 years younger.
I might be taking Fleury for the story\nostalgia but, it doen`t make the Penguins worse and keeping DeSmith and Jarry is something I`dbe fine with if Jarry can bounce back.
You could skip the big name signing and go for more balance, I wouldn`t personally.
3rd and 4th lines are going to need guys to step up.

Sure - but injury prone is just another negative. And he's been worse nearly his entire career outside of one season. I just don't think there's any reason to take that risk.

Idk - Id argue it makes them worse compared to other available options. I get the nostalgia though. It doesn't have to be Jarry and Desmith - while I think they're a fine tandem I'm okay with moving on. I just want it to be for an upgrade.

That's fine if you wouldn't - just going to run into the same issues from last season though.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 1:59 p.m.
LBS
Quoting: jfkst1
If they go for a big name UFA forward I hope it is Bunting. He is 27 and might still have better years ahead. Bertuzzi has major durability issues. Goaltenders are inconsistent, which is why I wouldn't bring in an old expensive one like Fleury or a more expensive unproven backup like Blackwood.

It`s fair to want Bunting over Bertuzzi, I just think right now Bertuzzi is the better player but, not a ship I willing to die on.
3.5 a lot and I`m probably hoping more for the story\nostalgia of the move and Blackwood is fairly proven 3 good years on a bad team but, he`s just had a bad string of injuries the last 3 years, as Pittsburgh I`m betting he bounces back, and my dollar value might not be what he`s worth, they could get him for cheaper
Jun. 19, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
Wild still need to bring back Gustavsson he`ll probably ask for around 4mil, need to replace Dumba on the Top 4 could cost them another 4mil and even with Rossi making the jump to the NHL they need 2 more forwards just to get 12 and only have 9mil in space, not counting the scratches in which every team usually carries at least 2 guys. Freeing up 1.7mil does help.
I never said the Wild getting DeSmith makes them a better team in net btu, gives them more cap flexibilty and a higher pick.

The expectation on both sides currently are that it's only a matter of when not if Gustavsson gets resigned by Minnesota. So yes a lot hangs in the balance until that is done and taken care of.

But as far as replacing Dumba goes. It's already in the Minnesota system on a ELC and it's name is Brock Faber. The kid was an absolute stud since turning pro after losing the NCAA Championship finals and playing out the final week of the NHL and in the Playoffs. The heavy expectation is that Faber will replace Dumba in Minnesota's top four next year. Even though it was a small sample size, he was unfazed by the jump from college to NHL hockey and played fantastic. So... 🤷‍♂️.

As for the rest of the roster. It's tricky to say the least. Shaw will get a courtesy contract at league minimum as a sign of good faith while he comes back from ACL injury, his 4th, but the kids battled back from 3 already and STILL managed to make it to the NHL after the fact. So not counting him out. Aside from that there's only Duhaime and potentially Reaves to bring back. Neither should break the bank, but Reaves is stated to want some term and money enough for what could be his likely last NHL contract.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
In a vacuum or on NHL 23 this is an absolute no brainer for the Wild.

But in reality where Guerin loves Fleury (and is helping him secure more records for his HoF bid) and Fleury has a NMC, it's DoA.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 2:15 p.m.
LBS
Sure - but injury prone is just another negative. And he's been worse nearly his entire career outside of one season. I just don't think there's any reason to take that risk.

Idk - Id argue it makes them worse compared to other available options. I get the nostalgia though. It doesn't have to be Jarry and Desmith - while I think they're a fine tandem I'm okay with moving on. I just want it to be for an upgrade.

That's fine if you wouldn't - just going to run into the same issues from last season though.

DeSmith played for a better team, and Blackwood had 2 for sure, maybe 3 better years than DeSmith before his injuries on a ****ty young Devils team and I really think he`ll bounce back.
The options for improvement are slim, maybe Korpisalo, Andersen or Raanta (if he`s healthy). Trading for guys like Gibson or Hellebuyck is out of the question since they need to keep their picks and have no prospects.
Also the caphit I have for Blackwood could be lower, they could maybe get him in the lower 2mil, high 1mil range and add depth up front.
JSEB93 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
DeSmith played for a better team, and Blackwood had 2 for sure, maybe 3 better years than DeSmith before his injuries on a ****ty young Devils team and I really think he`ll bounce back.
The options for improvement are slim, maybe Korpisalo, Andersen or Raanta (if he`s healthy). Trading for guys like Gibson or Hellebuyck is out of the question since they need to keep their picks and have no prospects.
Also the caphit I have for Blackwood could be lower, they could maybe get him in the lower 2mil, high 1mil range and add depth up front.

To be fair, Desmith played for a worse team this past season though and put up significantly better numbers. Desmith has had terrible defensive play in front of him for years. 2 better years maybe - 3 is a definite no for me. But those 2 better years were 4 and 5 years ago. If you want to take a risk that's fine - I don't think this team is in a position to be taking fliers on players hopefully bouncing back. Maybe that's just me - that could just be personal preference. It's not just the AAV though - you're giving up assets for him too. I'm not trying to crap on your team or anything haha - I just think you have a downgrade at the goalie position and you gave up assets to do so. That's the way I'm looking at it.

The options for improvement over Jarry are slim sure - but I would say there's a decent amount of options that would be an improvement over this. Jarry, Anderson, Varlamov are definitely better. The you got Korpisalo and probably Hill would also be better. Could trade for Hellebuyck, Ullmark, or Samsonov. Gibson is definitely out of the questions - I wouldn't say Hellebuyck is though. Even at like 2mil I still think you're better off just keeping Desmith than trading for Blackwood - unless you got a top tier starter like Hellebuyck or Ullmark. Then having Blackwood wouldn't bother me as much.

Getting better depth up front would be a big help - and could alleviate the goaltending worries as well. If Carter is still the 3C this team is in big trouble - unless he has 2 fantastic wingers around him. To me I just think it's a downgrade in net, and no real improvement at forward(specifically the 3rd line). You brought in Graves which is nice so the defense should be better - but that means at best I see this team being equal to last season overall.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.
LBS
To be fair, Desmith played for a worse team this past season though and put up significantly better numbers. Desmith has had terrible defensive play in front of him for years. 2 better years maybe - 3 is a definite no for me. But those 2 better years were 4 and 5 years ago. If you want to take a risk that's fine - I don't think this team is in a position to be taking fliers on players hopefully bouncing back. Maybe that's just me - that could just be personal preference. It's not just the AAV though - you're giving up assets for him too. I'm not trying to crap on your team or anything haha - I just think you have a downgrade at the goalie position and you gave up assets to do so. That's the way I'm looking at it.

The options for improvement over Jarry are slim sure - but I would say there's a decent amount of options that would be an improvement over this. Jarry, Anderson, Varlamov are definitely better. The you got Korpisalo and probably Hill would also be better. Could trade for Hellebuyck, Ullmark, or Samsonov. Gibson is definitely out of the questions - I wouldn't say Hellebuyck is though. Even at like 2mil I still think you're better off just keeping Desmith than trading for Blackwood - unless you got a top tier starter like Hellebuyck or Ullmark. Then having Blackwood wouldn't bother me as much.

Getting better depth up front would be a big help - and could alleviate the goaltending worries as well. If Carter is still the 3C this team is in big trouble - unless he has 2 fantastic wingers around him. To me I just think it's a downgrade in net, and no real improvement at forward(specifically the 3rd line). You brought in Graves which is nice so the defense should be better - but that means at best I see this team being equal to last season overall.

Andersen would most likely cost more than both Goalies I proposed put together, Varlamov and Korpisalo could work. No chance they get Hellebuyck or Gibson unless they decide that to have ZERO prospects and Picks of which they are already low. Samsonov would cost close to a 1st rounder, so would Ullmark.
The Hill hype train is ridiculous, the guy played well on a good team but, Quick, Brossoit and Thompson play and they win anyway. Taking him makes less sense than Blackwood IMO.
That 3rd season I talk about Blackwood's stats might be worse than DeSmith but, NJD was ranked 13th in the conference and Pitt was Top 5, so I'd argue 3 for sure and his 3 bad years since have been injured and hard to build consistency.
Again the goaltending is up for debate, I just went with a young-ish Goalie and a Vet that can split time. If a goalie like Martin Jones can have a bounce back season so could Blackwood and Fleury.
I also have no faith in DeSmith since he lost me money every time he played and I bet on Pitt lol.
JSEB93 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 6:28 p.m.
Andersen would most likely cost more than both Goalies I proposed put together, Varlamov and Korpisalo could work. No chance they get Hellebuyck or Gibson unless they decide that to have ZERO prospects and Picks of which they are already low. Samsonov would cost close to a 1st rounder, so would Ullmark.
The Hill hype train is ridiculous, the guy played well on a good team but, Quick, Brossoit and Thompson play and they win anyway. Taking him makes less sense than Blackwood IMO.
That 3rd season I talk about Blackwood's stats might be worse than DeSmith but, NJD was ranked 13th in the conference and Pitt was Top 5, so I'd argue 3 for sure and his 3 bad years since have been injured and hard to build consistency.
Again the goaltending is up for debate, I just went with a young-ish Goalie and a Vet that can split time. If a goalie like Martin Jones can have a bounce back season so could Blackwood and Fleury.
I also have no faith in DeSmith since he lost me money every time he played and I bet on Pitt lol.

I would think Anderson comes in the low 4s. Just my opinion. But yeah - obviously he would be a pricier option. Sometimes you have to pay for quality. You have the cap space though. I agree - Gibson shouldn't even be looked at. The rest of the guys you mentioned though should. I agree about your Hill take as well - I'd take him over MAF and Blackwood though. That 3rd year Blackwood was way worse than Desmith though - regardless of where the team finished. He played a factor in that team being so bad. The Devils actually had a lower expected goal total than the Penguins that year, they were top 10, and Desmith still cleared Blackwood by a wide margin.

Injured and hard to build consistency over 3 years isn't an excuse though - that's just a negative point. Of course it's up for debate - we're all just throwing around our opinions here. I just think this is a clear downgrade in net, and for a team that is on it's final years of trying to compete, they need to do better. There's an argument to be had that if the skaters are super good the goaltending wouldnt matter as much - like the Avalanche - but I don't see that here.

When did Jones bounce back? Ah, there it is haha, makes sense lol
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:00 p.m.
LBS
I would think Anderson comes in the low 4s. Just my opinion. But yeah - obviously he would be a pricier option. Sometimes you have to pay for quality. You have the cap space though. I agree - Gibson shouldn't even be looked at. The rest of the guys you mentioned though should. I agree about your Hill take as well - I'd take him over MAF and Blackwood though. That 3rd year Blackwood was way worse than Desmith though - regardless of where the team finished. He played a factor in that team being so bad. The Devils actually had a lower expected goal total than the Penguins that year, they were top 10, and Desmith still cleared Blackwood by a wide margin.

Injured and hard to build consistency over 3 years isn't an excuse though - that's just a negative point. Of course it's up for debate - we're all just throwing around our opinions here. I just think this is a clear downgrade in net, and for a team that is on it's final years of trying to compete, they need to do better. There's an argument to be had that if the skaters are super good the goaltending wouldnt matter as much - like the Avalanche - but I don't see that here.

When did Jones bounce back? Ah, there it is haha, makes sense lol

He just won 27 games and helped get Seattle to the playoffs. the save percentage might not be great but, he was technically the starter in Reg. Season starting 42 and playing in 48 games. I'd definitely consider it a bounce back for Jones
Jun. 20, 2023 at 9:11 a.m.
He just won 27 games and helped get Seattle to the playoffs. the save percentage might not be great but, he was technically the starter in Reg. Season starting 42 and playing in 48 games. I'd definitely consider it a bounce back for Jones

I'm sorry, but having an .886 sv% - the worst of his entire career - cannot be considered a bounce back season in any way, shape, or form. He was one of the worst goalies in the entire league

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll