SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(EDM/DET) - Kostin, Yamamoto for Future considerations

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 30, 2023 at 11:10 p.m.
Quoting: TheWolfe
Anyone who's posting on this site regularly is pretty glued in to what's going on in the hockey world right now. And not 1 person can explain what the heck the point of this was. It's absolutely perplexing. I wasn't thrilled with that draft interview either.

I know Steve has a lot of runway here, but at some point this team needs to take off.

He had another not so hot quote yesterday about not wanting to spend against the cap for the sake of having the means to do so. And considering the cap is expected to moonshot in the next year or two, this would absolutely be the time to splurge being one of only a handful of teams who can afford to. I'm so hesitant to put him on the hot seat but Yzerman is wearing out his welcome mat.
Jun. 30, 2023 at 11:14 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
Another fleecing in the books.

Detroit wins the trade.

Quoting: Bestgoalie33
Common Stevie Y W

Quoting: Babatunde
KEN HOLLAND COMMON FLEECED

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I don't think either player has much value, both were going to UFA, so there's nothing bad here for Edmonton

Quoting: Rooney
Wow, what is Edmonton doing? I get the need cap space but this is a steal for Detroit, I love it!

Quoting: Brian_O_Blivion
Common Oilers L.

36 hours later... Yamamoto got bought out and Kostin wasn't qualified. Both are now UFA's. Detroit is left with nothing except Yamamoto's buyout cap hit.

Ken Holland just won a trade where Future Considerations was all he received.

tears of joy
oilersguy and Rolfadinho liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 5:08 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: CD282
36 hours later... Yamamoto got bought out and Kostin wasn't qualified. Both are now UFA's. Detroit is left with nothing except Yamamoto's buyout cap hit.

tears of joy

Unlike you, I don't evaluate trades based on hindsight bias.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:41 a.m.

tears of joy

Unfortunately for you, this take doesn’t age well, Kostin has resigned in Detroit…
sensonfire, Rooney, Andy_Dick and 4 others liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:41 a.m.

HockeyNerdDetroit liked this.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 10:33 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Unfortunately for you, this take doesn’t age well, Kostin has resigned in Detroit…

As a UFA, for more money than he's proven to be worth. So my take stands. Yzerman traded for two players and then set them both free, leaving him with nothing but a buyout cap hit for his troubles.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Unlike you, I don't evaluate trades based on hindsight bias.

That's just dumb. The whole point of any move (trade, signing, etc) is to help the team. We won't be able to properly evaluate ANY summertime trade until later.

The fact is Yzerman traded for two players under team control and then let both go to unrestricted free agency within 36 hours. WTF was he thinking? He certainly didn't fleece anyone. All he got from it was a $500k x 2 cap charge.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 10:40 a.m.
sensonfire
That's just dumb. The whole point of any move (trade, signing, etc) is to help the team. We won't be able to properly evaluate ANY summertime trade until later.

The fact is Yzerman traded for two players under team control and then let both go to unrestricted free agency within 36 hours. WTF was he thinking? He certainly didn't fleece anyone. All he got from it was a $500k x 2 cap charge.

IMO, Yzerman should not have bought out Yamamoto.

But he did end up getting Kostin under contract.

It is what it is.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
IMO, Yzerman should not have bought out Yamamoto.

But he did end up getting Kostin under contract.

It is what it is.

And what it is is a bad move for Detroit. Holland was about to do exactly what Yzerman did (buyout Yamamoto, not qualify Kostin) and found a sucker to eat Yamamoto's buyout cap hit and it cost Holland NOTHING. Edmonton won the trade.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.
As a UFA, for more money than he's proven to be worth. So my take stands. Yzerman traded for two players and then set them both free, leaving him with nothing but a buyout cap hit for his troubles.

He did not sign as a UFA, UFA's can't be signed yet as it's not 12:00 ET so free agency hasn't opened yet
Jul. 1, 2023 at 11:01 a.m.
He did not sign as a UFA, UFA's can't be signed yet as it's not 12:00 ET so free agency hasn't opened yet

They didn't qualify him, he's a UFA.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 11:03 a.m.

He was slated to be a UFA once free agency started, since FA hasn't started yet, he's not a UFA yet
Jul. 1, 2023 at 11:03 a.m.

Pending UFA's can be signed by the team that holds their rights prior to 12:00. This has always been the case.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Hollands_missing_brain
I won't go as far as to say he is the most overrated GM bc he has built a rather good farm system and all of his 1st rd drafts have been hitting, with the anticipation of edvinsson coming up this year and possibly Kasper. His picks don't bother me bc he was crucified for seider at the time so I'll give him benefit there. But I will admit that if you look at his recent transgressions they are not W's like previously thought. Trade for Ned was great... for all of one year. Vrana trade was great... for all of one year. Yama trade was "interesting"... for all of one day.

Don't get me started on his draft night interview claiming to still be in a rebuild. I just hope it's all camera fluff and he's doing some voodoo stuff in the background.

Today didn’t help. Giving a career 30 point third line Center 5m AAV over 5 years after the same deal to the same player in Copp last offseason
Detroit will need to rebuild their own rebuild in the vain of the Eichel Sabres.

Awful draft and free agency for the Wings. This is being realistic sorry Yzerplan bots.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 7:53 p.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Today didn’t help. Giving a career 30 point third line Center 5m AAV over 5 years after the same deal to the same player in Copp last offseason
Detroit will need to rebuild their own rebuild in the vain of the Eichel Sabres.

Awful draft and free agency for the Wings. This is being realistic sorry Yzerplan bots.

This off-season has certainly been problematic as nobody truly knows where the direction of the team is going. I'll reiterate that the people he took in the draft, I will give Stevie benefit of the doubt since his 1st rounds picks are hitting or on expected pace. But him not using all the draft capital to make a significant splash was frustrating as all hell.

I'll admit FA has been underwhelming to put in lightly. I have a feeling that a trade is coming bc he picked up multiple bottom 6 fwds.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 7:56 p.m.
Banned
Edited Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:01 p.m.
Quoting: Hollands_missing_brain
This off-season has certainly been problematic as nobody truly knows where the direction of the team is going. I'll reiterate that the people he took in the draft, I will give Stevie benefit of the doubt since his 1st rounds picks are hitting or on expected pace. But him not using all the draft capital to make a significant splash was frustrating as all hell.

I'll admit FA has been underwhelming to put in lightly. I have a feeling that a trade is coming bc he picked up multiple bottom 6 fwds.

I’m sorry but passing on Matthew Savoie last year and now Zach Benson is criminal. Yzerman is a complete fraud. Sabres fans must love this guy!

Danielson looks like at best a 2c. Pellikka is undersized maybe top4 puck mover. Should have traded the picks to Arizona and drafted Michkov. He clearly loves these enigmatic Russians and they could have made it work, very easily. There is no plan here. He’s a chicken and never puts any skin in the game. His comments in interviews and what pundits say do paint a clear picture now.

I understand you’re frustration and even as a division rival fan I’m frustrated at his incompetence.
Jul. 1, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
I’m sorry but passing on Matthew Savoie last year and now Zach Benson is criminal. Yzerman is a complete fraud. Sabres fans must love this guy!

Danielson looks like at best a 2c. Pellikka is undersized maybe top4 puck mover. Should have traded the picks to Arizona and drafted Michkov. He clearly loves these enigmatic Russians and they could have made it work, very easily. There is no plan here. He’s a chicken and never puts any skin in the game. His comments in interviews and what pundits say do paint a clear picture now.

I understand you’re frustration as a division rival I’m frustrated at his incompetence.

The jury is still out on all of this though. If anyone said during or right after the 2020 draft that Lucas Raymond was going to be a better NHL player than Lafreniere, it would have mocked. Kasper fit the mold for what type of center wings needed when drafted so I won't crucify the pick yet.

I agree with the latter statement though, he's too afraid to go all in. And it is certainly frustrating. Don't get me started on his draft interview...
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 8:20 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
This is the most baffling trade I've ever seen. Detroit buys out Yamamoto and doesn't qualify Kostin, so they're left with nothing but half a million dollars in dead cap for two years. Fortunately Yamamoto was young enough that the buyout was cheap, but why in the world would they do this for nothing? Am I missing something or is Holland laughing his head off at Yzerman's stupidity?

When I wrote this, it was after they announced that Kostin hadn't been qualified but before they announced that he had signed. I'm guessing that what happened was they reached an agreement on Friday but didn't file the paperwork until Saturday, so there was no need to qualify him because he wasn't going to get to free agency anyway. That means the trade is what I had thought initially -- Detroit took Yamamoto's cap dump to get Kostin. I'm no longer baffled.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
Hockeytown!
And what it is is a bad move for Detroit. Holland was about to do exactly what Yzerman did (buyout Yamamoto, not qualify Kostin) and found a sucker to eat Yamamoto's buyout cap hit and it cost Holland NOTHING. Edmonton won the trade.

Hilarious take Bro. Do you actually watch hockey. SY got exclusive negotiation with Kostin and inked him to a solid 2 year deal before the rest of the league got a sniff of him. You making believe that the procedure of him not being qualified has any bearing on the deal is definitely a take.
Jul. 10, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyNerdDetroit
Hilarious take Bro. Do you actually watch hockey. SY got exclusive negotiation with Kostin and inked him to a solid 2 year deal before the rest of the league got a sniff of him. You making believe that the procedure of him not being qualified has any bearing on the deal is definitely a take.

I don't think Kostin is worth the $2.5M x 2 cap hit allotted to him. Like, at all. So it doesn't change my take on the deal.

Bottom line: Holland was going to buyout Yamamoto and let Kostin go to free agency, he got someone to take Yamamoto's buyout cap hit and it cost him nothing.
Jul. 10, 2023 at 6:55 p.m.
Bottom line: Holland was going to buyout Yamamoto and let Kostin go to free agency, he got someone to take Yamamoto's buyout cap hit and it cost him nothing.

I agree it's a great deal for Edmonton, but if Kostin went to free agency, there's no guarantee Detroit would have got him. Yamamoto's buyout was cheap because of his age, so it was a small price for Detroit to pay to make sure they got their man. I don't know Kostin well enough to have an opinion on whether he was a good signing, but given that they wanted to sign him, the trade was a good way for Detroit to do that.
Nov. 28, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyNerdDetroit

That's a solid deal all right. So solid that it's immovable without retention already. Nevermind Yamamoto's buyout cap hit is on the books for 2 years too.
Mar. 17 at 11:48 a.m.
Wow, has this thread really ended bad.

From everyone voting Holland L, it's obviously now who really lost, poor Stevie Y and his followers. You lost this trade.
Mar. 17 at 11:51 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Wow, has this thread really ended bad.

From everyone voting Holland L, it's obviously now who really lost, poor Stevie Y and his followers. You lost this trade.

I don't think either player has much value, both were going to UFA, so there's nothing bad here for Edmonton

One of the few, and I got ****ted on for this opinion
Mar. 17 at 11:57 a.m.
Edited Mar. 17 at 12:10 p.m.
One of the few, and I got ****ted on for this opinion

Yea the end result was Det got a buyout contract, Yamamotto (worth $1 million in cash), an over paid, bound for UFA Ahler, Simek (almost $2 million in real cash), handed SJS a Kostin ($2 million) under contract for another season (who is already playing better) and a 7th Rd pick for FC.

Ya, the 100th comment post !!!
KSIxSKULLS liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit