SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Los Angeles Kings signed Anze Kopitar (2 Years / $7,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 6, 2023 at 7:36 p.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: tkecanuck341
The first two years of Malkin's extension would have carried a $7M AAV as well. He took a longer term with the later years falling off in salary.

Unlike Kopitar's extension, Malkin's contract DOES have all the 35+ drawbacks because it his front loaded. So while the Kings can still buyout Kopitar's contract if necessary or get full cap relief if he retires, Malkin's contract stays on the books no matter what.

So no, I would have taken this exact deal over Malkin's exact deal.

Nah, still prefer Malkins deal. Your argument focuses too much on the buyout aspect. I could argue the rebuttal here is that Malkins deal is easier to move as he’s owed less money at the back end. So whilst the cap hit remains the same, he’s actually paid less at the end as compared to Kopitars deal.

Malkin 4x6.1mil > Kopitar 2x7mil
Jul. 6, 2023 at 7:43 p.m.
Quoting: McRanteskog
Nah, still prefer Malkins deal. Your argument focuses too much on the buyout aspect. I could argue the rebuttal here is that Malkins deal is easier to move as he’s owed less money at the back end. So whilst the cap hit remains the same, he’s actually paid less at the end as compared to Kopitars deal.

Malkin 4x6.1mil > Kopitar 2x7mil

Not buyout, just risk assessment. The Kings signed a shorter term deal for a slightly higher premium on the AAV up front to not have to suffer the 35+ contract drawbacks. They're also not going to have to a 40-year old Kopitar with a $6M AAV on the books. If Kopitar agrees to the exact same salary as Malkin for years 3 and 4, they'll get him for a very reasonable $5.2M AAV. That's when guys like Brandt Clarke are going to be looking for their big paydays. Hopefully they structure that deal the same way instead of front-loading it.
McRanteskog liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 9:04 p.m.
No regretzkys
Matthews to LA is off the table..
Jul. 6, 2023 at 10:08 p.m.
Overpay he is aging already over 35 his play will decline quickly and it will be a really bad contract
Jul. 6, 2023 at 11:45 p.m.
He scored 74 points last season, so $7 million isn't an overpay. Two years isn't a real issue, because the only way he falls off a cliff, is if he's injured, and then he's on LTIR for the rest of his career. It's kind of risk free in that regard.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:09 a.m.
pmb
It’s just a game (forum), why do you have to be mad?
Crazy_Eddie liked this.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:13 a.m.
Quoting: Wqrrior
Solid extension that is friendly for both the player and the team. With the cap rising this is nice value for a 2C with a very strong two way game.

A 2C???? OMG. Have you watched Kopitar play in the last couple years or ever in his career?! I understand if you’re saying this based off where he’ll be in 3 years. But dude is STILL elite and man was he good last year
OldNYIfan and Crazy_Eddie liked this.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:26 a.m.
Quoting: pavelisgoat
A 2C???? OMG. Have you watched Kopitar play in the last couple years or ever in his career?! I understand if you’re saying this based off where he’ll be in 3 years. But dude is STILL elite and man was he good last year

He is a 1C now, but in 2 years he will be playing a more defensive role under dubois... most likely as a 2C. That's not a knock on him at all.
pavelisgoat liked this.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 5:34 a.m.
ButIActLikeIDid
Quoting: JackForHart
its a bit of an overpay but its there captain so i assume its fine

Overpay, how?
Jul. 7, 2023 at 7:12 a.m.
Sadness
Quoting: tkecanuck341
For all intents and purposes, this is not a 35+ contract due to the way it was structured.

Fair enough, but 7M on a guy that age is still a bit of a gamble
Jul. 7, 2023 at 8:16 a.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
I would think that's more of being a face of the franchise thing/length of time there than Dionne being better than Gretzky no?

Gretzky had the most points in the league over those 7 seasons by over 80 points
He won a Hart and was top 5 a few times. He was first or second all star like 5 of the seasons.

Dionne never had those accomplishments. But he was a face of kings hockey

I think it depends on how you phrase the question. If you say, “who was the greatest player ever to play for the Kings?”, it has to be Gretzky, but if you ask, “who was the greatest King of all time?”, then it’s open for debate.

Although Gretzky was still the best player in the league for most of his time in LA, I’ll eliminate him because he’s still thought of as an Oiler first. Between Dionne and Kopitar, I don’t think Dionne ever won the Hart, but unlike Kopitar he did win the Art Ross, and he was closer to being considered the best player in the league than Kopitar was. However, Dionne never won the Stanley Cup, and he was already a star in Detroit before he went to LA (he was a free agent signing, but they worked out a trade rather than taking the prescribed compensation), so I’d lean toward Kopitar because he broke in with LA and stayed for his whole career (so far), and he was the leader of the two cup teams.
BCAPP and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
Quoting: jr400
I think it depends on how you phrase the question. If you say, “who was the greatest player ever to play for the Kings?”, it has to be Gretzky, but if you ask, “who was the greatest King of all time?”, then it’s open for debate.

Although Gretzky was still the best player in the league for most of his time in LA, I’ll eliminate him because he’s still thought of as an Oiler first. Between Dionne and Kopitar, I don’t think Dionne ever won the Hart, but unlike Kopitar he did win the Art Ross, and he was closer to being considered the best player in the league than Kopitar was. However, Dionne never won the Stanley Cup, and he was already a star in Detroit before he went to LA (he was a free agent signing, but they worked out a trade rather than taking the prescribed compensation), so I’d lean toward Kopitar because he broke in with LA and stayed for his whole career (so far), and he was the leader of the two cup teams.

Yeah for the Gretzky part you explained what I was trying to say in my first paragraph. I like your wording. The greatest king not the greatest player to play for the king's.

If you know basketball: I'm a raptors fan, and there is an argument to be made that kawhi was the greatest player to play for the raptors (and he led us to a championship). But he was a one and done. He can't be the greatest raptor. That's either Kyle Lowry or Vince Carter (and probably the former because of how the latter left)
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 9:37 a.m.

Also as an aside I'm surprised it's only Kopitar getting in the discussion for this generation and not doughty. But I guess doughty did decline some in his early 30s to just a good first pairing defender not the super star he was for his 20s so I guess that may take away a bit
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 12:21 p.m.
I was laughing my ass off while reading this really mature "conversation" about who is right and who is wrong on a CF Forum grin grin grin grin grin
Jul. 7, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: Wqrrior
He is a 1C now, but in 2 years he will be playing a more defensive role under dubois... most likely as a 2C. That's not a knock on him at all.

That's what everyone said when Byfield was drafted.

I see no reason why Kopitar can't bring the same level of play for the next 3 years. His game doesn't rely on speed.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 9:55 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
Also as an aside I'm surprised it's only Kopitar getting in the discussion for this generation and not doughty. But I guess doughty did decline some in his early 30s to just a good first pairing defender not the super star he was for his 20s so I guess that may take away a bit

Yeah, I feel like Kopitar's been at the top of his game longer than Doughty, as was Dionne, but maybe he should be in the conversation too. Did he ever win the Norris? Hard to believe he's only 33. Seems like he's been around forever.

I must admit I don't really follow the Kings though, so I should probably defer to somebody who's closer to the team on this question, but it's still fun to look at it as an outsider who's seen all of the guys we're talking about play.
BCAPP liked this.
Jul. 7, 2023 at 10:42 p.m.
Yeah, I feel like Kopitar's been at the top of his game longer than Doughty, as was Dionne, but maybe he should be in the conversation too. Did he ever win the Norris? Hard to believe he's only 33. Seems like he's been around forever.

I must admit I don't really follow the Kings though, so I should probably defer to somebody who's closer to the team on this question, but it's still fun to look at it as an outsider who's seen all of the guys we're talking about play.

I thought he had won more

He has 1 Norris
Twice second place in Norris voting and once third

Similarly he was on the first all star team twice and second twice.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 12:36 a.m.
Where does Byfield get traded to so he can actually play Center anytime in the next 3 seasons?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit