Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$825,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
1$2,000,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Gudbranson, Erik ($1,000,000 retained)
  2. Roslovic, Jack ($2,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Gudbranson was good here in PIT. Not saying he is worth his contract, but I would rather have him on the third pair to help shelter/protect some of our smaller defenseman (like COL did with Girard and Byram with Manson and Johnson)
CBJ
  1. Carter, Jeff
  2. 2025 4th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. 2024 5th round pick (ANA)
ANA
  1. DeSmith, Casey
  2. Rutta, Jan
  3. 2024 7th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. 2025 4th round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. Petry, Jeff ($1,250,000 retained)
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Karlsson, Erik ($4,500,000 retained)
SJS
  1. Blomqvist, Joel
  2. Granlund, Mikael
  3. Smith, Ty [RFA Rights]
  4. Zaitsev, Nikita
  5. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
  6. 2026 2nd round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$78,391,842$0$0$5,108,158
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,125,000$5,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$0$0
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,450,000$2,450,000
C
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$6,100,000$6,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,375,000$5,375,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$825,000$825,000
LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 8, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
You could give me Prime Crosby, Malkin and Letang, along with Carter and I would still say no.
When it happened, now and forever, **** Jeff Carter. He single handily set the Columbus Blue Jackets back almost a whole decade.
gpmack95, OldNYIfan, GuentzelvaniaUSA and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 3:50 p.m.
Quoting: BlueJacketsandBuckeyes
You could give me Prime Crosby, Malkin and Letang, along with Carter and I would still say no.
When it happened, now and forever, **** Jeff Carter. He single handily set the Columbus Blue Jackets back almost a whole decade.

Yeah i forgot you guys hate him…
Jul. 8, 2023 at 3:53 p.m.
Ill tough out the one year with Carter instead of 3 with Gudbranson. Also doubt he waives.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Imagine for a moment that you're Mike Grier. You get a telephone call from the Pittsburgh front office alerting you to the imminent issue of what they consider is an attractive offer for Erk Karlsson. You sit down at your computer and read the incoming e-mail transmitting the offer shown here.

Tell me which element of that offer makes you say, "Wow!"

Then tell me what element of that offer you think would compensate San Jose, a small-market team, for retaining $18 million.
Billy739 liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Imagine for a moment that you're Mike Grier. You get a telephone call from the Pittsburgh front office alerting you to the imminent issue of what they consider is an attractive offer for Erk Karlsson. You sit down at your computer and read the incoming e-mail transmitting the offer shown here.

Then tell me what element of that offer you think would compensate San Jose, a small-market team, for retaining $18 million.

1st round pick, a 2nd round pick two years from now that will basically be another 1st, Ty Smith, and a solid goalie prospect with SJS lacks. On top of that, flipping granlund gets you more picks and assets.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Pengweenies
Lmao Carter to CBJ. I LOVE it
OldNYIfan and AndrewPawlack liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: BlueJacketsandBuckeyes

That was Jarmo Kekalainen 100% as he was the facilitator in blindsiding Carter.
He acquired someone who was being blindsided by his GM Paul Holmgren

He signed a 11 year deal at just 272k upgrade on his previous 5m contract he had signed at 24 with the promise of being PHI Future.
122 days later he was traded to a non playoff team after making the playoffs with deep runs in 5 of his 6 first years.
My friends a diehard PHI fan , been to games in 17 different arena's to see them so far and he said the Carter trade was suppose to bring them closer to the Cup
He said its pretty pathetic when the closest 1/3 pieces they got has made it to a cup was Nick Cousins with FLA and they shoulda kept Carter /
Instead Carter went on to win 2 with LAK while Vorachek will retire Cupless and Couturier is looking to be following suit.

If your GM wasnt a complete Fool he wouldnt have helped blindside a player.
Ours did it to in a shady situation like that and got lambasted for it with the John Scott Trade , but i digress
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
Billy739

Dont really have to
Just have to say 1 name "Brent Burns"
Trust me i argued this about Burns till my hands cramped.
But he RS of 3m almost for 3 years on Burns 8 days after being hired and got nothing but Quantity for it with no real Quality.
That 1st and 2nd alone by that logic should open up the conversation

Based on his history as a GM
I think he'd at least take a hard look a this deal
That i think they'd want PIT to RS on their cap dumps otherwise they have to pay other teams to RS for them to find value in the market place.
1m on Granlund and 3m on Zaitsev

It may suck Short term but long term it saved them 8m over the final 2 years
gpmack95 liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: gpmack95
1st round pick, a 2nd round pick two years from now that will basically be another 1st, Ty Smith, and a solid goalie prospect with SJS lacks. On top of that, flipping granlund gets you more picks and assets.

Seriously?

A second-round pick in 2026 that won't turn into an NHL player until the 2028-2029 season is going to make Mike Grier's fingers twitch? The yet-to-impress Ty Smith is on Mike Grier's blackboard of Ten Targets We Should Trade For?

I have some news for you: Joel Blomqvist is not a better goalie prospect than Magnus Chroma, and if Mikael Granlund can so easily be flipped for picks, you guys would have seen the last of him by now.

The bottom line is that this offer doesn't come close to getting Erik Karlsson without $18 million in retention, which issue I note you failed to address.

This ACGM isn't up to your usual standards.
Billy739 liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:12 p.m.
Seriously?

A second-round pick in 2026 that won't turn into an NHL player until the 2028-2029 season is going to make Mike Grier's fingers twitch? The yet-to-impress Ty Smith is on Mike Grier's blackboard of Ten Targets We Should Trade For?

I have some news for you: Joel Blomqvist is not a better goalie prospect than Magnus Chroma, and if Mikael Granlund can so easily be flipped for picks, you guys would have seen the last of him by now.

The bottom line is that this offer doesn't come close to getting Erik Karlsson without $18 million in retention, which issue I note you failed to address.

you’re right. pittsburgh shoukd trade their next 10 1st round picks for Karlsson.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:12 p.m.
Billy739

They have a thing about Acquiring Goalies at its bit them in the butt too often
Especially when a Young Goalie Piece was one of the main returns from Burns and it hasnt worked out as hoped.(Rather then step forward he stepped backwards developmentally)
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:16 p.m.
Billy739
Seriously?

Again before HIS CHOICES i argued the same
But i cant ignore the ACTUAL GM's history to impose my own will stating it as fact.
I mean Would I as a ACGM do it ? No F'n Way
But im not SJS GM

Again dont take this as an endorsement for this trade.
More a criticism of an inexperienced GM

But i failed to address nothing , the whole comment was based around the fact you say Grier wouldnt do 4m x4 years
But he's already done 3m x 3 years for nothing but warm bodies and a 3rd round pick
Burns had a good last season in SJS too and coulda got more if lets say either of our Current GM's were making the deal for Grier
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:18 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
you’re right. pittsburgh shoukd trade their next 10 1st round picks for Karlsson.

I didn't say that. I said that this is a pie-in-the-sky offer unlikely to interest (let alone convince) a team that is under no pressure to move their biggest trade chip (unlike St. Louis or Vancouver earlier this year) without getting useful value back. You know better than to suggest that a 2026 second-round draft pick has any near-term impact, or that Ty Smith would ever be considered a major element in an Erik Karlsson trade, or that Mikael Granlund constitutes a significant potential benefit to San Jose.
Billy739 liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:21 p.m.
Billy739

I get what he's saying
If Karlsson was a Penguin, King, Islander or Canadien
Or Gm's would get a lot more out of Karlsson then Friedmans 31 thoughts buddy Jeff something is saying people are offering.

Only way i see Value happening is if lets say SJS takes Darnell Nurse in a deal for Karlsson RS 2m x 4 years to sweeten the pot.
That would be a deal Kent Hughes would craft but wouldnt be anything like what Rob Blake would do .
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
Billy739
I didn't say that. I said that this is a pie-in-the-sky offer unlikely to interest (let alone convince) a team that is under no pressure to move their biggest trade chip (unlike St. Louis or Vancouver earlier this year) without getting useful value back. You know better than to suggest that a 2026 second-round draft pick has any near-term impact, or that Ty Smith would ever be considered a major element in an Erik Karlsson trade, or that Mikael Granlund constitutes a significant potential benefit to San Jose.

Again not with Grier, his history proves it.
We cant simply ignore that

But you're 100% right about Karlssons value
But look at it from another POV
Burns deal was on Grier's timetable and he got a couple bottom 6 NHL /AHL call up types and a 3rd for RS 3m x 3 years.

Now Karlsson's put a clock on it
Has a full 100% NMC and completly cut your Balls off
How is a GM like Grier expected to respond?

I think its like expecting Rudy to play in the NFL
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Billy739
Again before HIS CHOICES i argued the same
But i cant ignore the ACTUAL GM's history to impose my own will stating it as fact.
I mean Would I as a ACGM do it ? No F'n Way
But im not SJS GM

Again dont take this as an endorsement for this trade.
More a criticism of an inexperienced GM

But i failed to address nothing , the whole comment was based around the fact you say Grier wouldnt do 4m x4 years
But he's already done 3m x 3 years for nothing but warm bodies and a 3rd round pick
Burns had a good last season in SJS too and coulda got more if lets say either of our Current GM's were making the deal for Grier

To begin with, your figures are a little off, in the wrong direction on both sides: the retention on Burns was $2.7 million, and the retention on Karlsson here isn't $16 million but $18 million.

Second, the Burns trade was made nine days before Mike Grier was officially named San Jose's manager, so maybe he shouldn't be tagged with it, but even if he is, he might have learned from the experience of being gulled and be a little leery of falling for a bad offer a second time.

My point is that whatever Karlsson's trade value is, and I think that it's high, it will be increased substantially by the amount of retention San Jose is willing to absorb, making the acquisition cost even higher. And every cap dump, like Mikael Granlund or Jeff Petry or whomever, included in the package will only raise the cost even higher.

But then again, I continually insisted that there was no way Los Angeles was going to acquire Pierre-Luc DuBois.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:34 p.m.
not a he )
That was Jarmo Kekalainen 100% as he was the facilitator in blindsiding Carter.
He acquired someone who was being blindsided by his GM Paul Holmgren

He signed a 11 year deal at just 272k upgrade on his previous 5m contract he had signed at 24 with the promise of being PHI Future.
122 days later he was traded to a non playoff team after making the playoffs with deep runs in 5 of his 6 first years.
My friends a diehard PHI fan , been to games in 17 different arena's to see them so far and he said the Carter trade was suppose to bring them closer to the Cup
He said its pretty pathetic when the closest 1/3 pieces they got has made it to a cup was Nick Cousins with FLA and they shoulda kept Carter /
Instead Carter went on to win 2 with LAK while Vorachek will retire Cupless and Couturier is looking to be following suit.

If your GM wasnt a complete Fool he wouldnt have helped blindside a player.
Ours did it to in a shady situation like that and got lambasted for it with the John Scott Trade , but i digress

Jarmo had less than zero to do with the Carter trade, considering it happened two years before he was hired. Howson was a fool, sure, but let’s not blame Jarmo for things he did. Fact check yourself before you go on a digression like this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Billy739
To begin with, your figures are a little off, in the wrong direction on both sides: the retention on Burns was $2.7 million, and the retention on Karlsson here isn't $16 million but $18 million.

Second, the Burns trade was made nine days before Mike Grier was officially named San Jose's manager, so maybe he shouldn't be tagged with it, but even if he is, he might have learned from the experience of being gulled and be a little leery of falling for a bad offer a second time.

My point is that whatever Karlsson's trade value is, and I think that it's high, it will be increased substantially by the amount of retention San Jose is willing to absorb, making the acquisition cost even higher. And every cap dump, like Mikael Granlund or Jeff Petry or whomever, included in the package will only raise the cost even higher.

But then again, I continually insisted that there was no way Los Angeles was going to acquire Pierre-Luc DuBois.

"Almost 3m" clarified in the start of the comment
Im not writing almost 3m every times
Those like yourself will understand it 9/10

Grier hired July 5th 2022, Burns traded July 13th 2022
Tell me , does the 5th come before or after the 13th, i forget lol
Im just kidding around im sure you just read it quickly and inversed the numbers.
For a minute i was like "fu** , he's right." then i remember going "what a moron" when i heard about the Burns trade(i still stand by that Grier's a bad GM)

Value as a player 100% from a business POV he's got a NMC he hasnt waived but asked to be traded.
I mean that's the bigger issue even more so then his Cap hit and how much they have to RS on just to get value out of him
He signed a bad contract, it happens to many people . If Josh Anderson was making 2.75m instead of 5.5m we'd have a line up of teams paying for him
But at 5.5m without RS we cant get enough value to justify moving him

IF Karlsson is to get the Value you're insisting on it'll only come in the final 1-2 years of his term once Grier has been fired and replaced with a competent GM
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:50 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
"Almost 3m" clarified in the start of the comment
Im not writing almost 3m every times
Those like yourself will understand it 9/10

Grier hired July 5th 2022, Burns traded July 13th 2022
Tell me , does the 5th come before or after the 13th, i forget lol
Im just kidding around im sure you just read it quickly and inversed the numbers.
For a minute i was like "fu** , he's right." then i remember going "what a moron" when i heard about the Burns trade(i still stand by that Grier's a bad GM)

Value as a player 100% from a business POV he's got a NMC he hasnt waived but asked to be traded.
I mean that's the bigger issue even more so then his Cap hit and how much they have to RS on just to get value out of him
He signed a bad contract, it happens to many people . If Josh Anderson was making 2.75m instead of 5.5m we'd have a line up of teams paying for him
But at 5.5m without RS we cant get enough value to justify moving him

IF Karlsson is to get the Value you're insisting on it'll only come in the final 1-2 years of his term once Grier has been fired and replaced with a competent GM

I'm pretty sure that Grier was officially named the San Jose GM on July 22, but I'm in agreement with the rest of your points not only in this comment but your earlier ones on this topic.
Billy739 liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 4:59 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: squashmaple
Jarmo had less than zero to do with the Carter trade, considering it happened two years before he was hired. Howson was a fool, sure, but let’s not blame Jarmo for things he did. Fact check yourself before you go on a digression like this.

Really ? it feels like Jarmo's been there forever
Its really only been like 10 years? Wow
I mean not that it takes away from CBJ Failure as an organization and Fanbase for blaming Carter for not letting them force an unwanted situation onto him.
Ok it wasnt Jarmo it was Howson

Whats that Change about my Statement ?
A Single name
Fact still remains the same . . . You're mad at Carter because after you Victimized him he didnt want to play for you.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.
Billy739
I'm pretty sure that Grier was officially named the San Jose GM on July 22, but I'm in agreement with the rest of your points not only in this comment but your earlier ones on this topic.

My bad, NHL must be wrong on this one
Ill call them right away and let them know you said it didnt happen hahahaha
I may overlook the odd thing or mix something up but if you call me on it the first thing ill do is fact check it
Im faliable like anyone but ill check myself by verifying my beliefs 10/10
But dont take my word for it

https://www.nhl.com/news/mike-grier-hired-by-san-jose-first-black-gm-in-nhl-history/c-334806842
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:13 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
My bad, NHL must be wrong on this one
Ill call them right away and let them know you said it didnt happen hahahaha
I may overlook the odd thing or mix something up but if you call me on it the first thing ill do is fact check it
Im faliable like anyone but ill check myself by verifying my beliefs 10/10
But dont take my word for it

https://www.nhl.com/news/mike-grier-hired-by-san-jose-first-black-gm-in-nhl-history/c-334806842

No, you're right, I checked the article which was the source of my impression and it was dated July 5, 2022, not July 22, 2022 as I originally thought. I must have gotten "22" on the brain, as it was the jersey number of my favorite NY Islander.
Billy739 liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:53 p.m.
Billy739
No, you're right, I checked the article which was the source of my impression and it was dated July 5, 2022, not July 22, 2022 as I originally thought. I must have gotten "22" on the brain, as it was the jersey number of my favorite NY Islander.

It happens
Like i was saying though Grier = crap GM
Fire him and i think the next guy gets bank for Karlsson
Dont fire him and SJS wont get squat until his final years (assuming Griers gone organically by them)

Karlsson though deserve more and to go to a team that can afford to spare it and contend.
If im TBL i think about what it takes to unite Hedman and Karlsson
If Grier's that bad at evaluating assets then TBL has a real shot

Grier needs a real Mentor as his ASGM
Jul. 9, 2023 at 12:57 a.m.
18 lotteries, 0 wins
Carter would literally slap Dubas across the face if he heard the request to waive
Jul. 9, 2023 at 1:06 a.m.
18 lotteries, 0 wins
Really ? it feels like Jarmo's been there forever
Its really only been like 10 years? Wow
I mean not that it takes away from CBJ Failure as an organization and Fanbase for blaming Carter for not letting them force an unwanted situation onto him.
Ok it wasnt Jarmo it was Howson

Whats that Change about my Statement ?
A Single name
Fact still remains the same . . . You're mad at Carter because after you Victimized him he didnt want to play for you.

force an unwanted situation? yeah it's hockey, that can happen. guys get traded in their sleep or sometimes find out over twitter. that's probably the biggest reason he has the clauses he has now. and it's not like he didn't try, he did, we've had worse cases of guys who didn't want to be here and stopped trying (Dubois, Foote...).

Problem is you can't blame people for being mad at a guy who hates the city you live in and wants to leave the second he can. There is added hate due to the fumbling by Howson, but you're acting like Carter deserves no hate from Columbus for his hatred of Columbus. Even if we had nothing to do with his plans or future, it's not rocket science to hate a guy who hates you

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll