Forums/Armchair-GM

EK65

Created by: Davioparker
Team: 2023-24 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 10, 2023
Published: Jul. 10, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Open to adjusting these trades- think the NSH-CAR-SJ trade is more of a three-way to get NSH to retain as well, but not sure what that would take from an asset standpoint. Don't love moving Turbo, but not sure how well he does in a 3rd line role. I think Bunting is better there, and Tank helps push him down there. Thoughts?
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$5,000,000
Trades
CAR
  1. Fabbro, Dante
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (NSH)
  3. 2025 1st round pick (NSH)
NSH
  1. Pesce, Brett
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (PHI)
Additional Details:
Three way - they keep $1mil on EK
CAR
  1. Karlsson, Erik ($4,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Actually 3 mil, NSH keeps 1mil
SJS
  1. Drury, Jack
  2. Fabbro, Dante
  3. 2024 1st round pick (CAR)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (NSH)
  5. 2025 1st round pick (NSH)
CAR
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Teräväinen, Teuvo
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (CAR)
CAR
    Part of the EK trade maybe?
    SJS
    1. 2024 2nd round pick (BUF)
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,500,000$81,313,584$450,000$520,000$2,186,416

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 6
    $8,460,250$8,460,250
    C
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $4,820,000$4,820,000
    C
    UFA - 7
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,900,000$2,900,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
    C
    RFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $5,280,000$5,280,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $850,000$850,000
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $839,167$839,167
    C
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 9:47 a.m.
    Goorts
    If I'm Nashville, I don't want to give up a 1st for Pesce... he could be a good fit, and there is lots of buzz around it... but I'd rather keep the first personally.
    villenash and gmgb liked this.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 9:48 a.m.
    Bunch of Jerks
    Quoting: Goorts
    If I'm Nashville, I don't want to give up a 1st for Pesce... he could be a good fit, and there is lots of buzz around it... but I'd rather keep the first personally.

Unless an extension is in place, I get that. Didn't mention that part, but its part of the reason I went with the 25 first instead of the 24
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 9:50 a.m.
    "Go sell ice cream!"
    Quoting: Goorts

I have no idea what Trotz is doing. If I were Nashville, I would be doing a complete rebuild and trading away all quality roster players for futures. But I understand why ownership groups delay that until it is inevitable as well.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 10:01 a.m.
    Quoting: jfkst1
    I have no idea what Trotz is doing. If I were Nashville, I would be doing a complete rebuild and trading away all quality roster players for futures. But I understand why ownership groups delay that until it is inevitable as well.

I'm just speculating, but I think he is just trying to hang on and give youth a good environment to develop in. Milwaukee is doing well in the AHL with development, but NSH has not been well. The swaps of Johansen and Duchene for O'Reilly, Shenn, and Gustav help give some mentorship to a young group that hasn't had it. Most of NSH now is under the age of 26 (Forsberg, McD, and Saros are the only other players over 26). With several prospects about to move up to the NHL in the next year or two like Kemell, Askarov, Evangalista, and Svechkov its more about providing a space for growth rather than going scorched earth.
    villenash liked this.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
    Hurricane Waddell
    I know this isn’t the main point of the post, but I am actually not in love with the idea of Tarasenko any longer.

My understanding standing is that he turned down a ‘multi-year’ deal with an AAV of 5.5m with the Canes. Let’s move on.
    Davioparker and InRodWeTrust liked this.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
    Bunch of Jerks
    Quoting: AEcho
    I'm just speculating, but I think he is just trying to hang on and give youth a good environment to develop in. Milwaukee is doing well in the AHL with development, but NSH has not been well. The swaps of Johansen and Duchene for O'Reilly, Shenn, and Gustav help give some mentorship to a young group that hasn't had it. Most of NSH now is under the age of 26 (Forsberg, McD, and Saros are the only other players over 26). With several prospects about to move up to the NHL in the next year or two like Kemell, Askarov, Evangalista, and Svechkov its more about providing a space for growth rather than going scorched earth.

So does a Pesce trade and extension leave space for the young guys to move up? The only name on that list I know is Askarov, so I'm legitimately asking.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
    Bunch of Jerks
    Quoting: Caniac555
    I know this isn’t the main point of the post, but I am actually not in love with the idea of Tarasenko any longer.

My understanding standing is that he turned down a ‘multi-year’ deal with an AAV of 5.5m with the Canes. Let’s move on.

Yeah theres a bit of a bad taste left in my mouth, but he's a sniper and the Canes need a sniper. If he signs elsewhere, then you keep TT and hope Bunting makes up for it in the top-6
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 10:26 a.m.
    Quoting: Davioparker
    So does a Pesce trade and extension leave space for the young guys to move up? The only name on that list I know is Askarov, so I'm legitimately asking.

Yes, a Pesce deal still makes sense. All of the other players I mentioned are forwards and NSH doesn't have a lot of RD in system who are ready for NHL time as most of NSH's NHL ready defenseman are LD. The closest is Livingstone who played a few games last year and held his own well. He just signed a 2-way deal, so will play most of the season in Milwaukee, but Pesce would be a big upgrade to NSH's right side that NSH has really needed since the departure of Ellis.

Pesce would be a good anchor on that right side who is also a capable skater, and room for him is likely guaranteed as many have speculated (myself included) that NSH will try to move Barrie at the deadline.
    Davioparker liked this.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 10:29 a.m.
    Bunch of Jerks
    Quoting: AEcho
    Yes, a Pesce deal still makes sense. All of the other players I mentioned are forwards and NSH doesn't have a lot of RD in system who are ready for NHL time as most of NSH's NHL ready defenseman are LD. The closest is Livingstone who played a few games last year and held his own well. He just signed a 2-way deal, so will play most of the season in Milwaukee, but Pesce would be a big upgrade to NSH's right side that NSH has really needed since the departure of Ellis.

Pesce would be a good anchor on that right side who is also a capable skater, and room for him is likely guaranteed as many have speculated (myself included) that NSH will try to move Barrie at the deadline.

Gotcha, thanks for the feedback!
    AEcho liked this.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 11:33 a.m.
    DougieWilsonNOT
    3M retention and receiving a 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a 2025 1st + Fabbro + Drury is a pretty nice deal. Yet, I can see Grier asking for more NHL ready prospects than picks.
    Davioparker liked this.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
    Bunch of Jerks
    Quoting: NotDougWilson
    3M retention and receiving a 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a 2025 1st + Fabbro + Drury is a pretty nice deal. Yet, I can see Grier asking for more NHL ready prospects than picks.

That could work for carolina. Suzuki, Rees, and Ponomaryov are all pretty close, maybe one of them instead of a couple of picks.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 11:44 a.m.
    DougieWilsonNOT
    That could work for carolina. Suzuki, Rees, and Ponomaryov are all pretty close, maybe one of them instead of a couple of picks.

I think our ask would be for Morrow, but i wonder when you think he'll be NHL ready? We need a top 4 D prospect in for our right hand side, but I can see the argument that he'll play on the 3rd RHD slot and upgrade to 2nd once Burns' contract is up.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
    Bunch of Jerks
    Quoting: NotDougWilson
    I think our ask would be for Morrow, but i wonder when you think he'll be NHL ready? We need a top 4 D prospect in for our right hand side, but I can see the argument that he'll play on the 3rd RHD slot and upgrade to 2nd once Burns' contract is up.

That's a fair ask, I really like Scott though. I think he'll be on the cusp next season, getting top pair time in the A if he chooses to go pro. With Carolina not having a clear cut AHL Affilate, they might be good with letting him play through his senior year (24-25 I believe) and signing him after that season, which would make it where he steps in for Burns with his contract being up.

Maybe a Honka or Hemosalmi wouldn't take that long? But I don't think they're near the same tier as Morrow.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 11:51 a.m.

Where’d you see that? Asking out of genuine curiosity, not bc I don’t believe you.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.
    Hurricane Waddell
    Larry Brooks reported it…he also said Vlad wanted to go back to the Rags but they can’t make it work.

I have not see anything reported on what he’s finding in the market elsewhere.

I couldn’t support committing multiple years to Vlad myself, but My Cousin Donnie doesn’t always consult me.

Quoting: vikhodush
    Where’d you see that? Asking out of genuine curiosity, not bc I don’t believe you.
    Davioparker and vikhodush liked this.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
    Larry Brooks reported it…he also said Vlad wanted to go back to the Rags but they can’t make it work.

I have not see anything reported on what he’s finding in the market elsewhere.

I couldn’t support committing multiple years to Vlad myself, but My Cousin Donnie doesn’t always consult me.

Yeah most I’d do is 2x4.5 and would really prefer 1 year
    Davioparker and Caniac555 liked this.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 1:08 p.m.
    What makes u think the Sabres would want Teravainen??
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
    Bunch of Jerks
    Quoting: homiedaclown

Shot in the dark tbh. If they don't I'm hoping someone does.
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.
    2285 Stanley Cup Cha
    Buffalo does that
    Jul. 10, 2023 at 11:22 p.m.
    2285 Stanley Cup Cha

Why wouldn't we. Quinn is out until close to New Year, and we need someone to slot into the top 6. Teuvo is a good option to do that for cheap
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 2:47 a.m.
    Quoting: JokiStan
    Why wouldn't we. Quinn is out until close to New Year, and we need someone to slot into the top 6. Teuvo is a good option to do that for cheap

We aren’t winning this year with Levi/UPL anyways
    I’d rather play Kulich/Savoie
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 2:48 a.m.
    Shot in the dark tbh. If they don't I'm hoping someone does.

I’m sure someone will- he’s a decent player
    But i think the Sabres wanna continue playing their youth
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 11:26 a.m.
    2285 Stanley Cup Cha
    We aren’t winning this year with Levi/UPL anyways
    I’d rather play Kulich/Savoie

If Levi UPL really is the plan and it doesn't perform well enough to make the playoffs(it probably won't let's be real) Adams honestly deserves to be on the hot seat next year. Getting close and missing last year with the amount of flaws the roster had was one thing but punting on the subsequent year when u have ample opportunity to improve the roster is tough to stomach
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
    Quoting: JokiStan
    If Levi UPL really is the plan and it doesn't perform well enough to make the playoffs(it probably won't let's be real) Adams honestly deserves to be on the hot seat next year. Getting close and missing last year with the amount of flaws the roster had was one thing but punting on the subsequent year when u have ample opportunity to improve the roster is tough to stomach

If we don’t go “all in” (so to speak) for a goalie like Hellebuyck,
    that’s completely reasonable imo
    Adams has been doing this rebuild slowly, which has shown to be the right way to go so far

And i get fans being impatient & wanting moves like Karlsson or Hellebuyck to be made now, but those type moves are PROBABLY still a bad idea

Of course, the playoffs would be great- but that’s not the goal
    And the thing all our impatient fans are gonna have to realize,
    is that many of these kids STILL NEED TIME TO GROW UP

A LOT of our best players are barely over 20years old
    Levi has played 7 games, & ppl are expecting him to be our “franchise goalie” & play like an AllStar

No offense to you specifically,
    but calling out Adams & saying he should be on the hot seat, etc is just total & utter nonsense
    He’s done a GREAT job with this rebuild
    And Fans’ impatience is their problem- NOT his

And to the specific point of this thread….
    Teravainen is ABSOLUTELY NOT the difference in what makes us a playoff team or not this year anyways
    Jul. 12, 2023 at 10:18 p.m.
    2285 Stanley Cup Cha
    If we don’t go “all in” (so to speak) for a goalie like Hellebuyck,
    that’s completely reasonable imo
    Adams has been doing this rebuild slowly, which has shown to be the right way to go so far

And i get fans being impatient & wanting moves like Karlsson or Hellebuyck to be made now, but those type moves are PROBABLY still a bad idea

Of course, the playoffs would be great- but that’s not the goal
    And the thing all our impatient fans are gonna have to realize,
    is that many of these kids STILL NEED TIME TO GROW UP

A LOT of our best players are barely over 20years old
    Levi has played 7 games, & ppl are expecting him to be our “franchise goalie” & play like an AllStar

No offense to you specifically,
    but calling out Adams & saying he should be on the hot seat, etc is just total & utter nonsense
    He’s done a GREAT job with this rebuild
    And Fans’ impatience is their problem- NOT his

And to the specific point of this thread….
    Teravainen is ABSOLUTELY NOT the difference in what makes us a playoff team or not this year anyways

Fwiw I'm not one who wants a Karlsson / Hellebuyck type of move. However, the bar needs to be raised for Adams at some point. After coming so close last season and having plenty of cap / resources to use, the expectation should be playoffs for this year. Signing Tatar + trading for an ok backup like DeSmith isn't even close to going "all-in", in fact it's improving the roster at pretty much no cost. He's done a good job accumulating talent but also continues to find himself with shaky goaltending tandems year after year. Both can be true. I'm certainly not expecting Levi to look like an All Star this year, and I even think expecting him to start this year is risky. I like what Adams has done largely, but if they don't make the playoffs bc he didn't make a couple smart signings / trading a 2nd or 3rd for someone to subsidize Quinn's production, how can it not be seen as a failure? We already have maybe the best prospect pool in the league, not every one of them will see the roster. Moving one of those prospects, such as Ostlund or Rosen, to improve goaltending / forward core isn't going to completely nuke our future

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll