SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Ottawa Senators signed Vladimir Tarasenko (1 Year / $5,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 28, 2023 at 8:09 a.m.
Don't worry sweetie. You can resign with the Rangers next year, when we have the CAP space.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 8:11 a.m.
Shane Pinto YOU are a Boston Bruin
Jul. 28, 2023 at 9:52 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
So they have five goalies, one who started last season on the IR and another who ended the season on LTIR, plus three AHLers who have a combined 26 NHL games in their careers. If they just had average goaltending, then they would be a playoff contender.

Their goaltending is a question mark for sure. Injuries were a problem last season. It forced them to play Sogaard more than he was ready for. They got very average goaltending from Talbot and Forsberg. I wouldn't say bad, but certainly not good.

Had they acquired Korpisalo at the deadline, and had he played like he did for Columbus/LAK, they would have made the playoffs.

Korpisalo might not be the solution. He is a gamble. I doubt there were any legitimate options available via trade who either wouldn't cost more than the Senators are in a position to give up after burning so many 1st round assets on Chychrun+Debrincat, or who would agree to waive to go to Ottawa. Dorion claimed they inquired about a different goalie, but Ottawa was on their no trade list, which is fairly common.
CSStrowbridge and sensonfire liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: jpetes250
Shane Pinto YOU are a Boston Bruin

He is a 10.2(c) RFA who only has one pro season under his belt due to getting hurt early in the 21-22 season. We're talking both NHL and AHL. Garrioch reported that the Senators want to move Joseph. That makes me think the only reason Pinto isn't signed yet is because there are so many moving parts. If they can attach assets to Joseph, they can clear enough space to sign Pinto for 2-3 years instead of 1. They likely have a 1 year deal already agreed as a backup plan. A 1 year deal for a 10.2(c) RFA with very little pro experience should not be difficult to figure out. Pinto has no leverage, it it isn't outlandish for a 10.2(c) RFA to sign a cheap 1 year deal.
CD282, rollie1967 and majormoose007 liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.
Evans truther
Everyone claiming Joseph's as good as gone, what's his value? A guy that has a 3M cap hit with backloaded money in his deal hasn't played a full season in his career and can't break 20 points per season, sounds like future considerations to me.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: ColonelX
Everyone claiming Joseph's as good as gone, what's his value? A guy that has a 3M cap hit with backloaded money in his deal hasn't played a full season in his career and can't break 20 points per season, sounds like future considerations to me.

He has negative value.

If the Sens can move him without retaining or putting in a 2nd round pick, that's a huge plus.

Maybe they bundle Sokolov with him as well, since they clearly are at an impasse with him. He is still unsigned.

There are only a few possible destinations because very few teams can add 3M in cap. Out of the dozen or so who can, a chunk may be budget teams like Arizona. So cap space doesn't mean they can add.

San Jose would make sense as a destination if PO Joseph is coming back to them in a Karlsson trade with Pittsburgh. Unite the brothers, and maybe it creates a good atmosphere and they both play harder to make it work.

Sens may need a replacement on the PK if they move out Joseph. They could do a Joseph for Sturm swap with San Jose where Ottawa includes Sokolov or a pick as a sweetener. That frees up 1M for Ottawa, which if they sign Pinto to a cheap 1 year contract would then give them enough to dress a 22 player roster.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Quoting: budgeteam
I doubt there were any legitimate options available via trade ...

This is an understatement. I got into an argument over another team that needs goaltender help and they argued they could just sign or trade for another goalie. The youngest UFA goaltender who played more than 10 games last year is Michael Hutchinson, who is 33 and had a save percentage of .875, so he's not going to help. And there are more teams who are weak at goalie than there are goalies available through FA or trade, so the price would be high.
Jul. 29, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
Low risk for Ottawa, props to Dorion
Allan13 liked this.
Jul. 30, 2023 at 11:07 p.m.
This is an understatement. I got into an argument over another team that needs goaltender help and they argued they could just sign or trade for another goalie. The youngest UFA goaltender who played more than 10 games last year is Michael Hutchinson, who is 33 and had a save percentage of .875, so he's not going to help. And there are more teams who are weak at goalie than there are goalies available through FA or trade, so the price would be high.

Yep, the goalie carousel has wound down. Pretty much comes down to:

Trade market:
Connor Hellebuyck
John Gibson
Dan Vladar

Maybe:
Jack Campbell
Robin Lehner

Waiver candidates:
Nedeljkovic or DeSmith
Reimer or Lyon
Luukkonen or Comrie (if Levi makes the roster)
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 4:58 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Yep, the goalie carousel has wound down.

And of those, only Hellebuyck would be an exciting add for any team. However, if you look at what the Jets got for Pierre-Luc Dubois, I bet you would have to pay a LOT to get Hellebuyck.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 11:38 a.m.
And of those, only Hellebuyck would be an exciting add for any team. However, if you look at what the Jets got for Pierre-Luc Dubois, I bet you would have to pay a LOT to get Hellebuyck.

When you say "pay a LOT", do you mean what they would have to give to Winnipeg in a trade, or what it would take to sign Hellebuyck beyond this season? I can see both being costly. Winnipeg doesn't want a rebuild, so as we saw with Dubois, I think they prefer younger players who are already NHL starters over a package of draft picks. (They didn't say no to including a 2nd in the Dubois package, but I wouldn't be surprised if they flip that for another player.)

Hellebuyck has been one of the 3-5 most reliable goalies over most of his career, so signing him looks like a safe bet, but the question for me is, how much term would you be willing to give him at age 31? Some goalies continue to play at a high level well into their late 30s, while others fizzle out while still in their 20s, and it doesn't seem very predictable. If there's at least one team that's willing to gamble on his longevity, like Florida did when they signed Bobrovsky, that's what I think it'll take to land him.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
When you say "pay a LOT", do you mean what they would have to give to Winnipeg in a trade, or what it would take to sign Hellebuyck beyond this season?

The first one.
Aug. 1, 2023 at 9:28 p.m.
I love it for OTT on a one year deal but I wonder what the Canes offer was.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit