Forums/Armchair-GM

Thrift shopping

Created by: GiggywithGibby
Team: 2023-24 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 15, 2023
Published: Jul. 28, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Taking a look at what's still out there for free.99 (i.e. late round pick cap casualties)

All picked up players are listed under scratches in likelihood of the trade turning into reality.

Important to note, not all of these trades would happen, just trying to pinpoint players I think could be available for not a lot of investment due to their teams cap constraints and what I think they are trying to do.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
8$7,500,000
8$7,750,000
2$950,000
Trades
BOS
  1. Vaakanainen, Urho
Additional Details:
The classic Forbort for Vaakainen swap.

Yes, I could also make this a 7th round pick, or FC, but Vaaks could be cheap depth for the Bruins, and he was looking like he could start doing things in the NHL when he was healthy.

There's really no point to squabble on the price since it's going to be low one way or another, For pet is just one of the guys I've identified as a likely cap casualty.
VAN
  1. 2024 7th round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
This one's as old as dirt, been talked about for ages.

Only happens if Vancouver is in on Dumba (possible, given their coach and desire to be less soft) or finds another young RHD to give up a first for.
VGK
    I don't even begin to know what the value would be here, as it's entirely dependant on what the hell is going on with Lehner. If he stays on LTIR they're fine, if he doesn't though, they're in a tight spot and could have to pay to dump him, look at a buyout, or look at moving other cap.

Martinez would hurt to loose on their depth, but they got over the hill, so who knows.
    ANA
    1. Gudbranson, Erik ($1,000,000 retained)
    CBJ
    1. 2024 5th round pick (ANA)
    Additional Details:
    This one's mostly/totally dependant on what Jiricek does at camp. If he's ready to go, one of Peeke or Gudbranson has to go.

While CBJ is retaining which isn't ideal for them, they are still freeing up 3 million in space and it should be looked at that way. With the additions they made this FA, I think Guddy's 4 mil AAV is too rich a luxury to keep on the third pairing or riding pine.
    LAK
    1. McGinn, Brock ($750,000 retained)
    2. 2024 3rd round pick (PIT)
    Additional Details:
    This one's difficult to peg as LA is running 13-6-3 right now and is over the cap by a single Dave Rittich.

The reason Roy might be available is that LA has plenty of organizational depth at RHD and If one of them takes a step this training camp such as Clarke or Spence, it would be a more natural pairing with Anderson on the 2nd pairing, at which point you are shoving Roy down to third pairing, which he seems rather expensive for.

However, the only depth upgrades I think LA would be interested in making is bottom 6 F or goaltending, and given they are running some combo of Copley-Talbot-Rittich already, I think they're standing pat.

While this trade likely doesn't happen, Roy isn't a big enough name to get caught up on the "LA and Anaheim don't trade" discussion.
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    25$83,500,000$85,995,417$0$3,425,000-$2,495,417

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 3
    $7,500,000$7,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 7
    $1,456,250$1,456,250
    LW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 4
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    RW, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $1,295,000$1,295,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $425,000$425,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $6,400,000$6,400,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $950,000$950,000
    G
    RFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
    $3,150,000$3,150,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Special Teams

Penalty Kill 1

Penalty Kill 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
    VGKNation702
    Lehner is going to stay on LTIR or be moved to a team where he can get a fresh start. Don’t see the later happening tho, regardless. Marty stays
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 7:52 p.m.
    not a he )
    What Gudbranson brings to the team is irrelevant to if he’s actually playing or not. He’s too important in the room and on the bench with a roster of kids, not to mention a coach who may need checked every so often. You know, the role he played in Calgary, basically.

Maybe in another year. It won’t hurt Jiricek to keep dominating the AHL a little longer, or to let a market for Peeke and/or Boqvist to develop.
    CaseyFlyman liked this.
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 7:54 p.m.
    Matt Roy is not available. If he were to be traded, he would cost a 1st round pick and more. Similar return to Gavrikov in March.
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 7:56 p.m.
    Dolzhenkov Is Coming
    In a vacuum, it's great to clear up that cap space from moving out Gudy. In reality, his voice is going to be pretty important in the room over the next few years. He had no problem being vocal about how poorly practices were being run by Larsen and I expect he would have no issue calling out Babcock if things are going awry as well. Add on that he still provides a level of physicality that the team lacks and will need with how many young, skilled players are in the lineup and I don't believe the Jackets will be trading him away any time soon. He was also given a certain amount of security for his new family to put down roots in Columbus with the contract and trade protection he got so I think he'd be putting as many teams as possible that could realistically fit his contract in on his no trade list. Anaheim would certainly be one of those teams.
    CaseyFlyman and Lactic_Flaccid liked this.
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 8:06 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Quoting: squashmaple
    What Gudbranson brings to the team is irrelevant to if he’s actually playing or not. He’s too important in the room and on the bench with a roster of kids, not to mention a coach who may need checked every so often. You know, the role he played in Calgary, basically.

Maybe in another year. It won’t hurt Jiricek to keep dominating the AHL a little longer, or to let a market for Peeke and/or Boqvist to develop.

Yeah, I could see that, and it's not that you guys are hurting for cap space at the moment either, unless you need the money for a big swing you can afford to stash him if need be. Just on last year's injury luck alone I could see Columbus hanging onto all it's current D.
    squashmaple and CaseyFlyman liked this.
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 8:07 p.m.
    All pretty accurate and reasonable, only one I would say not likely is the LAK as they have no desire/need for McGinn and all he would do is block a prospect from a lineup spot and would probably much rather have the cap space then him

Can see CBJ fans saying they would rather keep E.G than trade him for that, which I guess I understand but he isn’t worth much so if they were to trade him then I would say this or touch more would be the return
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 8:11 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Quoting: tkecanuck341
    Matt Roy is not available. If he were to be traded, he would cost a 1st round pick and more. Similar return to Gavrikov in March.

Oh right, I forgot, every Kings player is worth a first.....

Roy and Gavrikov are not on the same level and you know it. Gavrikov is a bonafide top pairing D, Roy is a 2nd pairing guy.

And you seem to be forgetting the "and more" part was a third, for which you got Korpisalo and dumped Quick off the books for.
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 8:20 p.m.
    Quoting: GiggywithGibby
    Oh right, I forgot, every Kings player is worth a first.....

Roy and Gavrikov are not on the same level and you know it. Gavrikov is a bonafide top pairing D, Roy is a 2nd pairing guy.

And you seem to be forgetting the "and more" part was a third, for which you got Korpisalo and dumped Quick off the books for.

Gavrikov is not a top pairing defender. He's a 2nd pairing defenseman. He might have played on the top pair in Columbus, but only because Werenski was hurt.

Matt Roy and Vlad Gavrikov are actually very good comparables. Both are top quality #3 defensemen that can play on the top pair when needed (Roy was the Kings #1 defenseman in 2022 when Doughty went down with an injury).

The return for Gavrikov was at the trade deadline, you're wanting an entire season of Roy. That's why Roy costs the "and more". If you want him at the deadline, then you can leave the "and more" part out.
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 9:15 p.m.
    LosPatos
    Quoting: tkecanuck341

Matt Roy is not worth a 1st +
    Jul. 28, 2023 at 9:50 p.m.
    Quoting: LosPatos
    Matt Roy is not worth a 1st +

That's what it will take to pry him away from the Kings. I expect his long-term extension to be announced any day now.
    Jul. 29, 2023 at 11:35 a.m.
    Bahstun
    The only way I see Forbort being traded now is if there is a plan to clear cap to get a 'Bergeron' replacement. Otherwise, his PK skills and shot blocking will be needed. Unless some blockbuster happens or the arbitrators for Swayman and Frederic give out unusually high payouts, I think the Bruins run with what they have until the trade deadline.
    Jul. 29, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
    Kings are sending 1 goalie, most likely Rittich, to the AHL.

ZERO reason for the kings to do this trade.
    Jul. 29, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Quoting: KINGS67
    Kings are sending 1 goalie, most likely Rittich, to the AHL.

Gee wiz mister, figured that one out on your own did you?

Read the explanation I laid out as to why it could happen. The two biggest suspects on the Kings roster this year is goaltending and bottom 6 depth. Anaheim doesn't have any goalies we'd be willing to send to LA, but we have upgrades on bottom 6 forward. Add to that 1.25 million in additional cap space for further upgrades, or carrying more than a 21 man roster. If one of the young RHD pushes themselves onto the roster in camp, then Roy is excess goods.
    Jul. 29, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
    Quoting: GiggywithGibby
    Gee wiz mister, figured that one out on your own did you?

Read the explanation I laid out as to why it could happen. The two biggest suspects on the Kings roster this year is goaltending and bottom 6 depth. Anaheim doesn't have any goalies we'd be willing to send to LA, but we have upgrades on bottom 6 forward. Add to that 1.25 million in additional cap space for further upgrades, or carrying more than a 21 man roster. If one of the young RHD pushes themselves onto the roster in camp, then Roy is excess goods.

“This one's difficult to peg as LA is running 13-6-3 right now and is over the cap by a single Dave Rittich.”

They aren’t over the cap.

Get off your rag little one.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll