Forums/Armchair-GM

Grabbing the low hanging fruit

Created by: GiggywithGibby
Team: 2023-24 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 3, 2023
Published: Aug. 5, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Revisiting my "Low hanging fruit" ACGM idea, this time we pay a visit to the nations capital and accept a trade of Matha for Vatrano, the cost, RHD prospect Vincent Iorio

The deal opens up an additional 2 million in cap space to continue roster improvements and gives them a solid, durable middle 6 scoring winger with grit. The Ducks can try to rehab Mantha's game for a season, and if he's healthy (I know, its a long shot) can see what he will fetch at the TDL for 50% retained. For their troubles they pick up Vincent Iorio, who will start the year in the AHL.

Rutta from Pitt, I think he is a fine third pairing guy, but Pitt just needs the cap space to make moves, and with Guentzel out, they need to acquire a scoring winger. Maybe there's a match for a 50% retained Mantha to start the year? Would be cap neutral. Would cost something decent to pique Verbeek's interest. I'll throw it in anyway, let the Pitt fans yell at me for it. Pitt would be taking on 100k in salary (maxed out the retention) but Mantha is a physically big guy with plenty of skill, and I don't know who else they could try and get that wouldn't put them in a major bind later in the year when Guentzel is back. Might be willing to take Carters contract the other way if he could be convinced to hang them up, but then all trade protection comes off the 2024 1st.

Vladar from Calgary, while the GM probably leaves Wolf in the AHL another season and uses him as the third goalie, lets pretend that Wolf is NHL destined to play alongside Markstrom and Calgary has to move Vladar or loose him to waivers. Vladar is brought in to be the second punching bag to shelter Dostal if the Defense isn't up to snuff. Maybe there's an opportunity for a TDL flip at 50% retention.

Joseph from Ottowa: Damn, does every Ottowa fan want this guy gone. I get it, they are in a cap bind, the need to sign Pinto, and he is standing in their way while having had an aweful season last year. He's one of Verbeek's good old boys from Tampa, He'll take his contract, for a price. That price is Egor Sokolov and Maxence Guenette. Well send Brett Leason back the other way so that Ottowa can have a warm body that sits on the bench and is cheap.

Lastly, I am sure I am going to get asked why I put Max Jones on the top line. I liked what I saw last year from the Jones-McTavish-Terry line. If nothing else, they were exciting to watch. This team isn't going to be good this year, but it at least has to keep fans in the building.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
8$7,825,000
Trades
ANA
  1. Rutta, Jan
  2. 2024 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
First is conditional on Mantha playing more than 60% of the regular season games and 75% of playoff games.

If conditions not met, drops to 2024 2nd and 2024 5th
PIT
  1. Mantha, Anthony ($2,850,000 retained)
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (PIT)
ANA
  1. Vladar, Daniel
Additional Details:
Yeah, that's all he's worth. Don't believe me? Aiden Hill is a direct comparable, only difference is Aiden hill has better numbers, both last season and career.
CGY
  1. 2025 5th round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Vladar brought in to be the punching bag behind Gibson. Maybe he rebounds to form under a heavier workload (some goalies do that, if they get bored back there they loose focus)

More than likely, he gets killed, and Anaheim burned a pick, but kept Dostal from getting his head bashed in instead. Dostal, Iorio, Mintyukoz, Zellweger, and Carlsson go for a Calder cup run with San Diego, the Vibes are Immaculate.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$73,500,417$0$3,482,500$9,999,583
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,295,000$1,295,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 7
$7,825,000$7,825,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 4
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$855,000$855,000 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,456,250$1,456,250
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
C
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
C, RW
UFA - 1
$425,000$425,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
RFA - 3
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 5, 2023 at 1:05 a.m.
Personally I believe Vladar gets a bad rap and is worth more but lowest I'd go is a fourth.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 1:18 a.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
Unlike Hextall, Dubas appears to actually listen to Sullivan's input on players. Sullivan HATES players like Mantha. I could see them trading Rutta for FCs, but they don't view him as a liability. Tatar would be a far more likely addition to PIT.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 2:03 a.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
I don’t think mantha is fetching a first with 50% retention. Even if you’re taking rutta back.

As for the caps trade, I’d hate to lose Iorio, but the caps probably make this deal. Very fair.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 2:09 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: brady_t12
I don’t think mantha is fetching a first with 50% retention. Even if you’re taking rutta back.

As for the caps trade, I’d hate to lose Iorio, but the caps probably make this deal. Very fair.

It's a first for third swap, and it's conditional based on Manthas health/games played. Pitts in a bit of a bind with Guentzle out to start the year, but they also need to not be in a cap bind when he comes back.

That said, I'd be happy to sit on Mantha to the TDL and pass on the Ottawa trade all together.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 3:02 a.m.
pens1991
Holy overpayment on Mantha batman.... absolutely not. Doesn't fit the system anyways.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 6:47 a.m.
Would you do Joseph + Sokolov + 2025 3rd instead of Guenette? I like Guenette in his spot in Belleville and figure with the amount of good D prospects you have, a 3rd might work better for both teams?
TCMonkey liked this.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 6:56 a.m.
Ioriomilkshake
I think Caps would do it! Will try it from their perspective.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 8:17 a.m.
Hockey 1st Sens 2nd
If ANA insists on that return OTT should look for another landing spot.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 11:23 a.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
It's a first for third swap, and it's conditional based on Manthas health/games played. Pitts in a bit of a bind with Guentzle out to start the year, but they also need to not be in a cap bind when he comes back.

That said, I'd be happy to sit on Mantha to the TDL and pass on the Ottawa trade all together.

First for third swap is still significant value that mantha won’t return, otherwise the caps would eat the 50% and trade him for a first lol.

That being said, a second round pick may be the return for retaining 50% and taking back salary. Health isn’t really the concern for mantha - it’s his effort and hard stats/results.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 1:33 p.m.
Quoting: Mike7856
Would you do Joseph + Sokolov + 2025 3rd instead of Guenette? I like Guenette in his spot in Belleville and figure with the amount of good D prospects you have, a 3rd might work better for both teams?

This is bad as well

Leason is a pretty bad hockey player, Joseph is a pretty decent bottom-6 forward and Top PKer, he was just overpaid based on last season but not overpaid at all based on 2021-22

Sens save 2,175,000$ AAV with this move but get a MAJOR downgrade in Leason, who's AAV is close to Joseph's overpayment...

I wouldn't pay Sokolov + Guenette OR Sokolov + 3rd for that

I would instead trade Kubalik for a pick (2nd?) as PP time will be very hard to share. Joseph has a better ES scoring rate than him the last 2 years, is better defensively and is the most important PK forward on the team
Aug. 5, 2023 at 1:48 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: Xspyrit
This is bad as well

Leason is a pretty bad hockey player, Joseph is a pretty decent bottom-6 forward and Top PKer, he was just overpaid based on last season but not overpaid at all based on 2021-22

Sens save 2,175,000$ AAV with this move but get a MAJOR downgrade in Leason, who's AAV is close to Joseph's overpayment...

I wouldn't pay Sokolov + Guenette OR Sokolov + 3rd for that

I would instead trade Kubalik for a pick (2nd?) as PP time will be very hard to share. Joseph has a better ES scoring rate than him the last 2 years, is better defensively and is the most important PK forward on the team

Leason is just a warm body, he's not meant to have any positive value to the trade. This would be the cost for Anaheim to take on the cap space. I don't think you'll find much value for Kubalik out there, you'd need to find someone who thinks he is the missing piece to the roster this late in the season, and most teams have got their rosters fairly well set. Maybe the Pens would buy him, but the clock is also ticking to get your last RFA signed.

Whether or not Joseph is overpaid or is frankly irrelevant, it's a matter of those who have the cap space, and those who need it, and what buying it will cost.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
Leason is just a warm body, he's not meant to have any positive value to the trade. This would be the cost for Anaheim to take on the cap space. I don't think you'll find much value for Kubalik out there, you'd need to find someone who thinks he is the missing piece to the roster this late in the season, and most teams have got their rosters fairly well set. Maybe the Pens would buy him, but the clock is also ticking to get your last RFA signed.

Problem is Dorion already signed Kelly to a 1-way contract for this year and MacEwen for 3 years... Sens already have two 13th forwards, Leason would make it 3... Chances would be that 2 of them play every game, which would be a big detriment

Kubalik can score 20/20+ easily and only makes 2.5 AAV for 1 year... very low risk. A 2nd or 3rd + prospect wouldn't be a huge price to pay for a good rental (that you could always re-sign). I don't know who could fit him but yeah, the Pens seem like a good candidate now

Whether or not Joseph is overpaid or is frankly irrelevant, it's a matter of those who have the cap space, and those who need it, and what buying it will cost.

That is exactly why you don't FORCE it and trade Joseph. He's not a bad hockey player at all (like Zaitsev) or always injured (like Murray). It would cost much more than it usually would because of the current cap crunch market. Heck, outside of that flat cap market, Joseph probably returns a pick, even after a down year.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
That is exactly why you don't FORCE it and trade Joseph. He's not a bad hockey player at all (like Zaitsev) or always injured (like Murray). It would cost much more than it usually would because of the current cap crunch market. Heck, outside of that flat cap market, Joseph probably returns a pick, even after a down year.

Yeah, but it is a flat cap world, and right now Ottowas got 895k in cap space with an 11/7/2 roster, and Pinto is left unsigned, as is Sokolov. Maybe you can get Pinto to take 895k for one year on the promise of a big raise next year, maybe you piss him off trying to get him to sign that and he blazes his way out of town at the first opportunity. I wouldn't drop a defenseman given Chychrun being supremely injury prone unless you want one of your guys to try and beat Fowlers I've time record from last season.

So, your in a tough spot, what's going to give?

Kubalik can score 20/20+ easily and only makes 2.5 AAV for 1 year... very low risk. A 2nd or 3rd + prospect wouldn't be a huge price to pay for a good rental (that you could always re-sign).

Yes, he can, but he's also a defensive liability, so for a team with a solid defense but a lack of scoring, they might give you something, but again, who has the space AND needs Kubalik? We've already seen earlier this summer that moving cap is a nightmare.
Aug. 5, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
Yeah, but it is a flat cap world, and right now Ottowas got 895k in cap space with an 11/7/2 roster, and Pinto is left unsigned, as is Sokolov. Maybe you can get Pinto to take 895k for one year on the promise of a big raise next year, maybe you piss him off trying to get him to sign that and he blazes his way out of town at the first opportunity. I wouldn't drop a defenseman given Chychrun being supremely injury prone unless you want one of your guys to try and beat Fowlers I've time record from last season.

So, your in a tough spot, what's going to give?

Yes bridge Pinto only 1 year as 2 years would be more expensive. It would be a 1 year "prove it" contract that could reward him a pretty nice long-term contract. If he feels he should "bet on himself" another year before the long-term contract, then bridge him another year but next year it'll be up to him.

IMO the only move that should be done is trade Kubalik for a pick

Sokolov is not a worry, him or Kelly will be in the AHL. The other guy will be 12th-13th with MacEwen

Yes, he can, but he's also a defensive liability, so for a team with a solid defense but a lack of scoring, they might give you something, but again, who has the space AND needs Kubalik? We've already seen earlier this summer that moving cap is a nightmare.

I wouldn't say a defensive liability even though that's not his strength

Moving players who are barely worth their AAV is not easy but Kubalik's contract allows this possibility. If he had 4.0 (closer to what he's worth) then yeah that would be hard but at that price, it's doable. Sens could even retain a little to facilitate the trade and even get a better return

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll