Forums/Armchair-GM

Potential prospect swap

Created by: Rags21
Team: 2023-24 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 16, 2023
Published: Aug. 16, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is assuming Gus beats out Zac Jones and they trade Jones. Hell definitely be claimed on waivers and he won’t let him sit in the press box as the 7th defenseman
Trades
NYR
  1. Livingstone, Jake
  2. Prokop, Luke
Additional Details:
Not sure the value of other team’s prospects. Just looking at RHD
NYR
  1. Dvorak, Jakub
  2. Spence, Jordan
Additional Details:
Once again, i don’t know the value of these prospects, who has to add, or if the Kings even have a need for Zac Jones
LAK
    Zac jones
    NYR
    1. Cormier, Lukas
    2. Korczak, Kaedan
    Additional Details:
    i don’t know the value of these prospects, who has to add, or if the Knights even have a need for Zac Jones
    VGK
      Zac Jones
      NYR
      1. Evans, Ryker
      Additional Details:
      i don’t know the value of these prospects, who has to add, or if the Kraken even have a need for Zac Jones
      SEA
        Zac Jones
        NYR
        1. Poirier, Jérémie
        Additional Details:
        i don’t know the value of these prospects, who has to add, or if the Flames even have a need for Zac Jones
        CGY
          Zac Jones
          NYR
          1. Struble, Jayden
          2. Trudeau, William
          Additional Details:
          i don’t know the value of these prospects, who has to add, or if the Habs even have a need for Zac Jones
          MTL
            Zac Jones
            Buyouts
            DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the DAL
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the MIN
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the NYR
            Logo of the VAN
            ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
            31$83,500,000$88,724,916$610,892$1,095,000-$5,224,916
            Left WingCentreRight Wing
            Logo of the New York Rangers
            $11,642,857$11,642,857
            LW
            NMC
            UFA - 3
            $8,500,000$8,500,000
            C
            NMC
            UFA - 7
            $2,100,000$2,100,000
            RW
            RFA - 1
            $6,500,000$6,500,000
            LW
            NMC
            UFA - 4
            $5,625,000$5,625,000
            C, RW
            NMC
            UFA - 6
            $800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
            RW
            NTC
            UFA - 1
            $4,437,500$4,437,500
            C, LW
            UFA - 4
            $800,000$800,000
            RW, LW
            UFA - 2
            $3,641,667$3,641,667
            C, LW
            M-NTC
            UFA - 4
            $787,500$787,500
            RW
            UFA - 1
            $800,000$800,000
            C, LW
            UFA - 1
            $775,000$775,000
            C, RW
            UFA - 2
            Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
            $3,872,000$3,872,000
            LD
            RFA - 2
            $9,500,000$9,500,000
            RD
            UFA - 6
            $5,666,667$5,666,667
            G
            M-NTC
            UFA - 2
            $3,000,000$3,000,000
            LD
            RFA - 1
            $8,000,000$8,000,000
            RD
            NMC
            UFA - 3
            $825,000$825,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
            G
            M-NTC
            UFA - 1
            Logo of the Nashville Predators
            $775,000$775,000
            RD
            RFA - 2
            $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
            RD
            RFA - 1
            Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
            $820,000$820,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
            RD
            RFA - 1
            Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
            $789,167$789,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
            RD
            RFA - 1
            $825,000$825,000
            LD
            UFA - 1
            Logo of the Nashville Predators
            $793,333$793,333
            RD
            RFA - 2
            Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
            $900,000$900,000
            LD
            RFA - 3
            Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
            $793,333$793,333
            LD
            RFA - 2
            Logo of the Seattle Kraken
            $897,500$897,500
            LD
            RFA - 2
            Logo of the Calgary Flames
            $823,333$823,333 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
            LD
            RFA - 2
            Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
            $856,667$856,667 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
            LD
            RFA - 2
            $775,000$775,000
            LD
            UFA - 1
            Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
            $867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
            LD
            RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
            • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 11:07 a.m.
            King's aren't interested they have a fight for the bottom pair between: Brandt Clarke (does not need waivers), Jordan Spence (does not need waivers), Tobias Bjornfot, and Andreas Englund (unlikely to be claimed off waivers).

They just drafted Dvorak and are high on Spence, who are both prospects who don't require waivers.
            OldNYIfan liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 11:11 a.m.
            Quoting: tryger
            King's aren't interested they have a fight for the bottom pair between: Brandt Clarke (does not need waivers), Jordan Spence (does not need waivers), Tobias Bjornfot, and Andreas Englund (unlikely to be claimed off waivers).

They just drafted Dvorak and are high on Spence, who are both prospects who don't require waivers.

Fair enough. It’s hard to look at other teams and see their needs and how they value their prospects. Sadly Jones requires waivers which is why I traded for waivers exempt players
            OldNYIfan liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 11:21 a.m.
            The problem here is that you are trying to sell an undersized, waivers-eligible defenseman who hasn't been able to earn an NHL spot for younger players who don't have to pass through waivers.

The real question is which team has a place(and a need) for him? Most of the teams you picked seem to have pretty congested blue-lines already so I doubt they have much interest in Jones. From the outside I'd say Vancouver, San Jose, Arizona or Chicago could maybe have some interest but I doubt they feel like giving much up for him.

In general I think you should probably temper your expectations about the value this player should return given his lack of track record in the NHL and now waivers-eligible status.
            VGKNation702 and OldNYIfan liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 11:25 a.m.
            Quoting: LumberJacques
            The problem here is that you are trying to sell an undersized, waivers-eligible defenseman who hasn't been able to earn an NHL spot for younger players who don't have to pass through waivers.

The real question is which team has a place(and a need) for him? Most of the teams you picked seem to have pretty congested blue-lines already so I doubt they have much interest in Jones. From the outside I'd say Vancouver, San Jose, Arizona or Chicago could maybe have some interest but I doubt they feel like giving much up for him.

In general I think you should probably temper your expectations about the value this player should return given his lack of track record in the NHL and now waivers-eligible status.

I mean he was one of the better defenseman in the whole AHL. Yea he loses value because he isn’t waiver exempt but he’s signed for cheap for 2 years.

As for not making the nhl lineup, that’s all on gallant. He’s an old school coach who didn’t believe in undersized defensemen. He would rather play Harpur who isn’t that good over Zac Jones simply because Harpur is 6’6 lol
            OldNYIfan liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 11:28 a.m.
            Nashville would need to pass. Our LHD is packed at the NHL level and with the inclusion of Molendyk after this draft the LHD pipeline is a fair amount stronger than our RHD.
            gmgb liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.
            Quoting: Rags21
            Fair enough. It’s hard to look at other teams and see their needs and how they value their prospects. Sadly Jones requires waivers which is why I traded for waivers exempt players

The Kings will likely be starting the season with one extra skater only rather than 3, we understand where you are coming from. The good news is lots of players pass through waivers, it's an incredibly rough to have a player make the roster out of camp only to be sent down for a guy who didn't on another team. He has the upside, but might squeak through waivers due to his size.
            Rags21, LumberJacques and OldNYIfan liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 11:36 a.m.

The Kings will likely be starting the season with one extra skater only rather than 3, we understand where you are coming from. The good news is lots of players pass through waivers, it's an incredibly rough to have a player make the roster out of camp only to be sent down for a guy who didn't on another team. He has the upside, but might squeak through waivers due to his size.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.
            I mean he was one of the better defenseman in the whole AHL. Yea he loses value because he isn’t waiver exempt but he’s signed for cheap for 2 years.

As for not making the nhl lineup, that’s all on gallant. He’s an old school coach who didn’t believe in undersized defensemen. He would rather play Harpur who isn’t that good over Zac Jones simply because Harpur is 6’6 lol

Gallant is far from the only coach to favour the big lads, the thing is that the NHL as a whole doesn't value undersized defencemen much unless they are absolutely elite. While he is signed for cheap, his role to this point doesn't suggest this is likely to be an underpay.

The fact that he is waivers-eligible means that any acquiring team needs to have a very high level of certainty that he will take a regular spot on their defence and be a better option than their current lineup. If that is the case then how much of an upgrade is he? Does he simply improve on your 6th Dman, or your 5th or do you believe he has a very strong chance of being an upgrade in your top 4? Given his lack of experience at the NHL level it would be incredibly optimistic to assume he would feature among a team's 4 best defencemen.

Following my reasoning above most teams would likely view him as at best a bottom-pair upgrade. This begs the question: what would you pay for a possible bottom-pair upgrade who might also never be more than a 7th Dman at the NHL level?
            rollie1967 and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 12:37 p.m.
            Of the teams listed here, the only trade that I could see happen is with Vegas, the other teams already have a difficult numbers game and Jones doesnt help, he just muddies it more.
            Rags21 and LumberJacques liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 1:05 p.m.
            VGKNation702
            Quoting: rollie1967
            Of the teams listed here, the only trade that I could see happen is with Vegas, the other teams already have a difficult numbers game and Jones doesnt help, he just muddies it more.

Why would Vegas trade their own prospects for that? I’m definitely not making the trade for either one of those guys…Cormier and Jones are very similar but Cormier is younger and under team control longer. KK is a physical presence that will be replacing McNabb sooner than later
            Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
            Quoting: VGKNation702
            Why would Vegas trade their own prospects for that? I’m definitely not making the trade for either one of those guys…Cormier and Jones are very similar but Cormier is younger and under team control longer. KK is a physical presence that will be replacing McNabb sooner than later

None of the players are top prospects, but I would rate Jones the best of the 3, and more importantly the closest to NHL ready, and for a team competing now- Jones would have more value, so thats why it could work. the other deals suggested dont do much for the acquiring team.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
            Quoting: VGKNation702

None of the players are top prospects, but I would rate Jones the best of the 3, and more importantly the closest to NHL ready, and for a team competing now- Jones would have more value, so thats why it could work. the other deals suggested dont do much for the acquiring team.

Rangers could probably throw in a pick if needed. Like I said above, it’s hard to see other teams’ needs and value their prospect when you don’t really follow them

Plus I also picked teams not in the East besides Montreal
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
            VGKNation702

KK is definitely NHL ready. We’re just absolutely stacked on the blue line….
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.
            Zac Jones has struggled to consistently crack the Rags lineup, Nash has to pass here
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
            Quoting: Ennis
            Zac Jones has struggled to consistently crack the Rags lineup, Nash has to pass here

Yea that’s all because of the coach’s preference. Preferred Harpur over Jones. That says it all
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
            I don’t see the Flames being interested. Only way would be if Kylington isn’t able to bounce back or we decide to move Zadorov, but either way we wouldn’t be trading a prospect like Poirier for him
            OldNYIfan, Rags21 and rollie1967 liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 4:50 p.m.
            Gallant is far from the only coach to favour the big lads, the thing is that the NHL as a whole doesn't value undersized defencemen much unless they are absolutely elite. While he is signed for cheap, his role to this point doesn't suggest this is likely to be an underpay.

The fact that he is waivers-eligible means that any acquiring team needs to have a very high level of certainty that he will take a regular spot on their defence and be a better option than their current lineup. If that is the case then how much of an upgrade is he? Does he simply improve on your 6th Dman, or your 5th or do you believe he has a very strong chance of being an upgrade in your top 4? Given his lack of experience at the NHL level it would be incredibly optimistic to assume he would feature among a team's 4 best defencemen.

Following my reasoning above most teams would likely view him as at best a bottom-pair upgrade. This begs the question: what would you pay for a possible bottom-pair upgrade who might also never be more than a 7th Dman at the NHL level?

Jones's value to a team would be as a PP QB
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
            Quoting: busters99
            Jones's value to a team would be as a PP QB

Ok, he's played 38 total NHL games and has 1goal and 7 assists. That hardly screams "guy who'll quarterback my powerplay this season".

Beyond this the recent trade returns of Gostisbehere, Petry, DeAngelo, Barrie and Durzi (who actually have a proven track record of NHL level play and offensive production) doesn't showcase a very big market for that skillset. If a team was truly looking for a young PP QB guys like Addison (who MIN don't seem enamoured with) or Heinola (who seems lost in the numbers game in WPG) would likely be far more promising options. For more experienced options Barrie, Kylington, Gostisbehere and Erik Gustafsson could likely be had for a decent price around the deadline.

All this to say that I doubt any team looks at Jones and believes he could be a solution for their PP at the NHL level as things stand.
            Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
            Ok, he's played 38 total NHL games and has 1goal and 7 assists. That hardly screams "guy who'll quarterback my powerplay this season".

Beyond this the recent trade returns of Gostisbehere, Petry, DeAngelo, Barrie and Durzi (who actually have a proven track record of NHL level play and offensive production) doesn't showcase a very big market for that skillset. If a team was truly looking for a young PP QB guys like Addison (who MIN don't seem enamoured with) or Heinola (who seems lost in the numbers game in WPG) would likely be far more promising options. For more experienced options Barrie, Kylington, Gostisbehere and Erik Gustafsson could likely be had for a decent price around the deadline.

All this to say that I doubt any team looks at Jones and believes he could be a solution for their PP at the NHL level as things stand.

I mean he only plays 15 minutes and 0 powerplay time lol You just named guys who were actually given a chance

Dallas traded a 1st for Lundkvist who wasn’t a proven NHLer besides having good SHL stats
            Aug. 16, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
            I mean he only plays 15 minutes and 0 powerplay time lol You just named guys who were actually given a chance

Dallas traded a 1st for Lundkvist who wasn’t a proven NHLer besides having good SHL stats

That's a fair point and it's not impossible that Jones has a fan in another team's management or coaching staff that pushes for them to acquire him. I would however point out that Lundqvist's 1st round pedigree and right-handedness likely boosted his perceived potential and price. This is similar to Lias Andersson who would never have returned a 2nd based on his play if he wasn't a former 7OA pick.

As for opportunity you are 100% right it's a Catch-22, if they aren't given the opportunity they can't prove themselves and attract other teams' interest. But the truth is that the NHL is an extremely competitive environment and if he can't leave no doubt about being one of the 6 best defencemen on his team it makes it hard for another team to believe he will be a meaningful upgrade on their own roster worth paying for.

To create a post please Login or Register
            Question:
            Options:
            Add Option
            Submit Poll