Forums/Armchair-GM

StL responds to Alleged Kapanen aggravated DUI

Created by: CantStopWontStop
Team: 2023-24 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 7, 2023
Published: Sep. 7, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Stl follows the exact path Arizona took and within the next 48 hours places Kapanen’s 3,200,000 AAV cap hit on waivers for termination.

St. Louis, upon vetting the information, can argue the situation is identical to Galchenyuk: a player on their own free time committed a serious alcohol related crime. If they cannot vet the information then they cannot proceed.

With the 3,200,000 in cap space STL does what? They’d have many options.

Pretty sure the Union f-Ed up when they let galchenyuks contract be terminated.
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$80,006,429$20,000$0$3,493,571
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 8
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 8
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$2,625,000$2,625,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,571,429$3,571,429
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$816,667$816,667
C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$835,833$835,833
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 4
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$775,000$775,000
G
RFA - 2
$3,275,000$3,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 7, 2023 at 5:45 p.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Galchenyuk's was worse iirc because he said some pretty nasty things
Sep. 7, 2023 at 5:49 p.m.
Beargold
Grab Kubalik out of Ottawa. Buy low, sell high at the deadline for a cheap scoring winger.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 6:01 p.m.
Puckhead
Leafs offer...

Jarnkrok and Liljegren
for
Bortuzzo, MacEachern, 2cd and 3rd

...you can flip Jarnkrok to Nashville for profit as they don't have a guy who scored 20 last year, or keep and put in Kapanen's spot...Liljegren can be good if paired correctly, big upgrade on Rosen

Deal?
Sep. 7, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: GM_SZK
Leafs offer...

J
Certainly makes the Leafs worse. Just give Jarnkrok away to team that is not on NTC. I'm amazed that folks are so enamoured with 6th/7th Dmen from non playoff team for the Leafs.
CD282 liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 6:32 p.m.
Puckhead
Quoting: palhal

Ummm...Cap...losing guys to waivers...Jarnkrok was a playoff no show...etc
Sep. 7, 2023 at 7:03 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Galchenyuk’s deal was terminable since he just signed it, committed a crime and said some incredibly nasty things, I’m not sure Kapanen’s deal gets terminated, especially since he didn’t just sign it and didn’t say anything nasty to add fuel to the fire, if anything happens, it will be Kapanen going to the NHLPA help program imo
Sep. 7, 2023 at 7:38 p.m.
mokumboi
From what I understand, the case won't be settled until February. Either way, I highly doubt the Blues rush out to spend his cap hit on another winger. They'd probably hold it in order to finally fix the the top pairing LD problem.
xercuses liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 7:42 p.m.
Kap didn’t thread to end anyone’s bloodline, gally did.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
Cap space this time of year isn’t really all that valuable.

We have enough internal options that there’s no need to jump out and search for a replacement.
mokumboi and CantStopWontStop liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 7:51 p.m.
Leafs offer...

Jarnkrok and Liljegren
for
Bortuzzo, MacEachern, 2cd and 3rd

...you can flip Jarnkrok to Nashville for profit as they don't have a guy who scored 20 last year, or keep and put in Kapanen's spot...Liljegren can be good if paired correctly, big upgrade on Rosen

Deal?

There’s no reason for the Blues to do that lol. We have internal options. Don’t see why Liljegren would be of much interest with Faulk and Parayko on the roster.
mokumboi liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.
Puckhead
Quoting: AC14
There’s no reason for the Blues to do that lol. We have internal options. Don’t see why Liljegren would be of much interest with Faulk and Parayko on the roster.

I don't think Liljegren replaces Faulk or Parayko but easily Rosen.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 9:21 p.m.
mokumboi

Rosen is a depth D-man.
GM_SZK liked this.
Sep. 7, 2023 at 9:50 p.m.
Xercuses
I doubt it
Sep. 8, 2023 at 2:21 a.m.

What’s the point of that? Yeah he’d definitely replace him, but I don’t see where the reasoning is for the Blues to do it. I don’t think Jarnkrok is a bad player, but if anything I’d rather give the ice time to Blais/Neighboes depending on how the lines end up.

Blues just aren’t in a position to make a knee jerk trade, nor do we really need to upgrade our 3rd pair. We have a lot of depth options that are cheap. Should add good competition in camp. No reason to move a 2nd and a 3rd.
Sep. 8, 2023 at 2:36 a.m.
Puckhead
What’s the point of that? Yeah he’d definitely replace him, but I don’t see where the reasoning is for the Blues to do it. I don’t think Jarnkrok is a bad player, but if anything I’d rather give the ice time to Blais/Neighboes depending on how the lines end up.

Blues just aren’t in a position to make a knee jerk trade, nor do we really need to upgrade our 3rd pair. We have a lot of depth options that are cheap. Should add good competition in camp. No reason to move a 2nd and a 3rd.

Otay…chill…the post asked what St Louis does with the Kapi Cap,..so I gave my best option…what do you do with the 3.2M?
Sep. 8, 2023 at 9:16 a.m.
Cap space this time of year isn’t really all that valuable.

We have enough internal options that there’s no need to jump out and search for a replacement.

You make the best point.

Didn’t really think…sure nobody has any cap space but…as much as people would like some, there isn’t anything to do with it except facilitate something in the future.
Sep. 8, 2023 at 9:18 a.m.
I wonder if this occured if STL would look to Kuznetsov.

I bet that’s a fairly affordable acquisition and could possibly have some retention.

I def prefer Schenn on the wing. He’s getting older and center Schenn, who I adore, will become a liability, if he is not already.
Sep. 8, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I wonder if this occured if STL would look to Kuznetsov.

I bet that’s a fairly affordable acquisition and could possibly have some retention.

I def prefer Schenn on the wing. He’s getting older and center Schenn, who I adore, will become a liability, if he is not already.

Kuznetsov has never really been a rock in the dzone either. Issue with Kuznetsov is that Washington can’t really throw in the towel, we have good center depth already, and to make cap work there are a lot of hoops to jump through. I haven’t done the math, but Kuznetsov is 7. Something, Kap is 3.2. We’re very limited in cap space as is Washington. Kuz has an additional year as well. Only way it really works is if it’s a Hayes situation and Scandella goes back the other way.

Then we need to look at the benefits as does Washington. But I’ll leave Washington out because they’d almost assuredly need a Neighbors/Bolduc someone close with room to grow considering I don’t foresee them wanting to burn it down with Ovi still there. Kuznetsov is still a great offensive weapon. But, the Blues have had alot of issues in terms of compete level or I guess expectations of what it is to be a pro off the ice (this is coming from a few of the end of the season pressers) and also coming together as a team (also from pressers). I think it’s why you saw them target a guy like Hayes who’s always been a character type of guy, and Sundqvist who is pretty beloved here. I’m not sure Kuznetsov helps with what our issues were last year as a team turning a new page
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Sep. 8, 2023 at 2:33 p.m.
Edited Sep. 8, 2023 at 2:39 p.m.
Kuznetsov has never really been a rock in the dzone either. Issue with Kuznetsov is that Washington can’t really throw in the towel, we have good center depth already, and to make cap work there are a lot of hoops to jump through. I haven’t done the math, but Kuznetsov is 7. Something, Kap is 3.2. We’re very limited in cap space as is Washington. Kuz has an additional year as well. Only way it really works is if it’s a Hayes situation and Scandella goes back the other way.

Then we need to look at the benefits as does Washington. But I’ll leave Washington out because they’d almost assuredly need a Neighbors/Bolduc someone close with room to grow considering I don’t foresee them wanting to burn it down with Ovi still there. Kuznetsov is still a great offensive weapon. But, the Blues have had alot of issues in terms of compete level or I guess expectations of what it is to be a pro off the ice (this is coming from a few of the end of the season pressers) and also coming together as a team (also from pressers). I think it’s why you saw them target a guy like Hayes who’s always been a character type of guy, and Sundqvist who is pretty beloved here. I’m not sure Kuznetsov helps with what our issues were last year as a team turning a new page

You bring up a good point about his character. I did not consider that.
I’m not sure I’d want this to happen.

But with 2 years you can probs get Washington to retain a million? I dunno how their owners feel about that. Assume they do.

I’m thinking something like also dump Scandella and then send some value for Washington.

I’m not sure what Washington would be able to even ask for after how Kevin hayes was dealt. It wouldn’t be some gigantic value going back their way, but I feel Kuznetsov and his contract/age in this cap climate in a vacuum is worth more than nothing. I think he has value. Just not much.

I mean to take scandella for the year and retain 1 mil on Kuznetsov - maybe that costs stl a bit?

I think from STL’s perspective, If this extremely unlikely event occured, they’d be fairly risk free and stacked for about 2 years with both hayes and kuznetsov behind Thomas. After that they could take any next option without any sunk cost feelings. Plus injuries happen.

Idk. I really like how the team is built but I’d really like one more center if possible. I’m down with alexandrov getting as much exposure as he can get, but I’d rather schenn on the wing and somebody else centering him. Maybe the Buchnevich at center experiment can continue. I’m okay with that. I don’t hate schenn, just rather him be an option, not the default.
AC14 liked this.
Sep. 8, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
You bring up a good point about his character. I did not consider that.
I’m not sure I’d want this to happen.

But with 2 years you can probs get Washington to retain a million? I dunno how their owners feel about that. Assume they do.

I’m thinking something like also dump Scandella and then send some value for Washington.

I’m not sure what Washington would be able to even ask for after how Kevin hayes was dealt. It wouldn’t be some gigantic value going back their way, but I feel Kuznetsov and his contract/age in this cap climate in a vacuum is worth more than nothing. I think he has value. Just not much.

I mean to take scandella for the year and retain 1 mil on Kuznetsov - maybe that costs stl a bit?

I think from STL’s perspective, If this extremely unlikely event occured, they’d be fairly risk free and stacked for about 2 years with both hayes and kuznetsov behind Thomas. After that they could take any next option without any sunk cost feelings. Plus injuries happen.

Idk. I really like how the team is built but I’d really like one more center if possible. I’m down with alexandrov getting as much exposure as he can get, but I’d rather schenn on the wing and somebody else centering him. Maybe the Buchnevich at center experiment can continue. I’m okay with that. I don’t hate schenn, just rather him be an option, not the default.

I don’t disagree with you in regards to Schenn. I think this is his last year on center with us though. I’d have to imagine our center group next season will be Thomas/ Dvorsky and Hayes and then possibly a guy like Dean or a vet pk guy like Brodziak when we brought him in. Wouldn’t really be shocked at all either if we see a line of Schenn - Hayes - Saad this year as a 2nd line this year either.

I don’t think we’re serious about competing this year, but I also don’t think we’re wanting to miss the playoffs or have another terrible year. I really like what Doug has done. Our whole season is contingent on the defense rebounding. If they don’t, I think we see a lot of changes to our veteran group and a more clean transition to our young guys for better or worse.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll