SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion - The Treleafs

Oct. 9, 2023 at 12:31 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
https://twitter.com/NickDeSouza_/status/1711391861170982965?s=19

Let's give this a shot:

Season MVP: Mitch Marner
Biggest Pleasent Surprise: Noah Gregor (🤞)
Biggest Disappointment: John Klingberg
Defenseman of the Year: Morgan Rielly
Best Value: Joseph Woll / Max Domi

MVP: Matthews
Good Surprise: Woll / Liljegren, darkhorse Minten if he can stick
Disappointment: Klingberg (not that I have high hopes)
D: Rielly
Value: Woll
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 12:35 p.m.
Amirov Forever
So happy Minten made the team. He deserves it so much and will be an excellent 3C (something we haven't really had in quite some time to start a season). Would expect a Gregor signing sometime today too.

Kinda stinks Robertson is on the outside looking in yet again. Wouldn't shock me if he was moved at the TDL, but I really hope I'm wrong about that. He's still so young and so good.

Gotta think Holmberg will be back eventually too. If Minten only sticks around for 9 games, I'm fairly certain Holmberg will slot in
Oct. 9, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
Yeesh, McElhinney as Director of Goaltending Development and Scouting. Seems like a heavy/important role for someone who was playing just two years ago.
Trickster liked this.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So happy Minten made the team. He deserves it so much and will be an excellent 3C (something we haven't really had in quite some time to start a season). Would expect a Gregor signing sometime today too.

Kinda stinks Robertson is on the outside looking in yet again. Wouldn't shock me if he was moved at the TDL, but I really hope I'm wrong about that. He's still so young and so good.

Gotta think Holmberg will be back eventually too. If Minten only sticks around for 9 games, I'm fairly certain Holmberg will slot in

To me Robertson needs to play a full season somewhere AHL he hasnt nor NHL.. I want to see him dominate in the AHL in a full season and stay healthy than in 2024-2025 come up and shine and there will be a pretty good shot for him if they give someone 10m.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Kind of had a feeling Leafs would go with a vet NHL goalie to lead the department to bad its not who I thought it was but hey will take McElhinney

As for Muzzin wish he could have been the development guy for defense. But hey under him should see some potential nice Dman come out of his scouting
Oct. 9, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Considering the Avs and TBL situation really surprised Jones passed through

But hey W for us as if Woll or Sammy get hurt he is good insurance
Oct. 9, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.
average joe
Looks like the Leafs made it under the Cap. With $8,551 to spare.
Timmins on LTIR.
Easton Cowan, Fraser Minten, Ryan Reaves, and Bobby McCann made it. 13F, 6D, 2G. 21 man roster.

Cowan definitely, and Minton probably, won't see more than a 5 or 6 games. Taking their AAVs out of the equation does NOT allow Timmins and 1 other player.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 8:44 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Messier99
Timmins on LTIR.
Easton Cowan, Fraser Minten, Ryan Reaves, and Bobby McCann made it. 13F, 6D, 2G. 21 man roster.

Cowan definitely, and Minton probably, won't see more than a 5 or 6 games. Taking their AAVs out of the equation does NOT allow Timmins and 1 other player.

Cowan will probably be reassigned prior to Wednesday. Minten will probably see all 9 games, and beyond that we will likely see Holmberg in the lineup. Gregor will get signed, so it's going to be real tight. Not sure how long Timmins is out for, but I wouldn't rule out a Jarnkrok trade that sees Robertson take his spot

In Pridham we trust.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 9:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 9, 2023 at 9:51 p.m.
Quoting: Messier99
Timmins on LTIR.

Why you putting Ryan Reaves on the list lul

There was no way he wasnt making it as Brad wouldnt waive him they signed him to play. Others were 50/50 but unless he got hurt he was making it.

Timmins is probs gonna get waived or traded as they dont got the cap space to keep him. And by doing that they can field a 21 man team with a 930k extra
Oct. 9, 2023 at 9:46 p.m.
Cowan will probably be reassigned prior to Wednesday. Minten will probably see all 9 games, and beyond that we will likely see Holmberg in the lineup. Gregor will get signed, so it's going to be real tight. Not sure how long Timmins is out for, but I wouldn't rule out a Jarnkrok trade that sees Robertson take his spot

In Pridham we trust.

I have a feeling the Leafs will give Minten every opportunity to grab a role for the year if he keeps it up. Not sure they would've moved Lafferty otherwise.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 9:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 9, 2023 at 10:27 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
I have a feeling the Leafs will give Minten every opportunity to grab a role for the year if he keeps it up. Not sure they would've moved Lafferty otherwise.

Funny enough they better pray he works as unless Willy goes back 3c could become an issue as we got nobody else for it.

Dont seem to want Kampf there nor Holmberg, Gambrell aint it. Now there is Domi but they seem to want him at LW

Gonna be interesting to watch as yea if they didnt view him as the full time solution moving Lafferty makes 0 sense
Oct. 9, 2023 at 11:07 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: leafs101

Which makes the rush to sign Kampf before FA all the more confusing. We know they talked about Nylander at 3C, now you have Minten there, and possibly Holmberg there if Minten doesn’t last past 9 games.

And when you look ahead, like next year and beyond, really want Kampf at 4C. Didn’t like the signing then and still don’t like it now
Trickster liked this.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 11:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 9, 2023 at 11:33 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Which makes the rush to sign Kampf before FA all the more confusing. We know they talked about Nylander at 3C, now you have Minten there, and possibly Holmberg there if Minten doesn’t last past 9 games.

And when you look ahead, like next year and beyond, really want Kampf at 4C. Didn’t like the signing then and still don’t like it now

Why not have 4 good centers lul

As we saw with VGK in their cup run having 4 good Centers down the middle is a good thing

Whether its Minten or Willy at 3C having 4 good Centers is not an issue

Matthews 1c, JT 2c, Minten or Willy 3c, Kampf 4c is good for this team sure neither of those 2 is ROR but as we saw having weapons down the middle on all 4 lines helps

But yea I like the lineup and man it looks better than last years especially the top 9

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Tavares-Nylander
Knies-Minten-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves

vs.

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Malgin-JT-Willy
Engvall-Kerfoot-Jarnkrok
ZAR-Kampf-Kubel
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 11:40 p.m.
Amirov Forever
It's going to be so refreshing seeing homegrown rookies take to the ice for the Leafs this season. Feels like it's been forever. Hope Minten stays for more than 9 games, granted that seems unlikely. Genuinely pumped for this season
Saskleaf and leafs101 liked this.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 11:51 p.m.
Go leafs go
It's going to be so refreshing seeing homegrown rookies take to the ice for the Leafs this season. Feels like it's been forever. Hope Minten stays for more than 9 games, granted that seems unlikely. Genuinely pumped for this season

Knies and Minten is going to be such a fun pairing

Any chance Cowan gets his 9 games too? I assume not but maybe him being on the roster is more than a paper transaction.
Oct. 9, 2023 at 11:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 10, 2023 at 12:09 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Knies and Minten is going to be such a fun pairing

Any chance Cowan gets his 9 games too? I assume not but maybe him being on the roster is more than a paper transaction.

I think he gets 1 or 2. I think they are keeping him to get the full use of LTIR for now.

The interesting thing will come when everyone's healthy as they cant carry more than 20 if Timmins comes back

So 2 options

11-7 with no 3c

or

You do what you did with Lafferty and trade Timmins allowing for a 21 man team and up to a 930k extra player

And for those who go why move Timmins well there is someone still available who yes is still hurt but is pretty good replacement option Ethan Bear

If they can get him for 930k x 1 year allows for a 21man team

If not who knows maybe thats reserved for Kane lul

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Kane
Domi-JT-Marner
Knies-Nylander-Jarnkrok
Gregor-Kampf-Reaves
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 10, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 10, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
Cowen is going back to London today to make room for Gregor and his 775k

Bobby McMann is getting waived

Leafs can carry a 21 man team till Timmins gets back in which they can then go to 20 (11-7)

Got a feeling like Lafferty, Timmins is next as by moving him they can have a 930k extra player and 21 man team. Now they may try to pass him through waivers but to avoid losing a guy for nothing take what you can

Keeping flexibility gonna be important for us. As for who to use the 930k on

3 interesting free agents available (Bear, Bailey, Kane)

Other options (internal) Kokkonen, Robertson, Abruzzese, etc.
Oct. 10, 2023 at 4:28 p.m.
There it is. Gregor officially a Leaf.
Oct. 10, 2023 at 5:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-vancouver-canucks-grant-conor-garland-permission-talk-nhl-teams-trade

hmmmm
Oct. 10, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: aadoyle
https://canucksarmy.com/news/report-vancouver-canucks-grant-conor-garland-permission-talk-nhl-teams-trade

hmmmm

Oh man so many Canucks fans got super mad at me for saying stuff like this.

I should go get banned laughing at them
Oct. 10, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 10, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Oh man so many Canucks fans got super mad at me for saying stuff like this.

I should go get banned laughing at them

Honestly I think there is a potential mega deal to be had but im waiting for a while

As if any team could overpay for a big rental its Van
Oct. 10, 2023 at 6:26 p.m.
Amirov Forever

hmmmm

I still really want the guy in Toronto, but we can't fit it into our cap structure
Oct. 10, 2023 at 10:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I still really want the guy in Toronto, but we can't fit it into our cap structure

Well depending on how negotiations go and the offer Van gives could see a mega deal but im waiting

Cause honestly I feel there's gonna be a desperate team out there whose gonna throw the biggest offer seen for a rental if there's no deal done by January

Like im talking bigger than PLD or Eichel but lots of time to wait and see.
Oct. 11, 2023 at 12:30 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Well depending on how negotiations go and the offer Van gives could see a mega deal but im waiting

Cause honestly I feel there's gonna be a desperate team out there whose gonna throw the biggest offer seen for a rental if there's no deal done by January

Like im talking bigger than PLD or Eichel but lots of time to wait and see.

A team like Buffalo or Detroit make sense, but I just can't see Toronto working money wise.

A thing to note though, Garlands money owed is 17 Mil over 3 years, which will lower his value ever more. Could help ret wise. Idk. If jarn doesn't work out some kind of cap neutral swap might make sense (how that would work is an ENTIRELY different question)
Oct. 11, 2023 at 12:51 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
A team like Buffalo or Detroit make sense, but I just can't see Toronto working money wise.

A thing to note though, Garlands money owed is 17 Mil over 3 years, which will lower his value ever more. Could help ret wise. Idk. If jarn doesn't work out some kind of cap neutral swap might make sense (how that would work is an ENTIRELY different question)

I think something is there but its kind of a not now thing more later thing. Injuries could happen and stuff

Its a wait and see for me but I could see something happen

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll