Published: Nov. 7, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
BOS
  1. Campbell, Jack
  2. Holloway, Dylan
  3. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
This package will be redirected to San Jose.
EDM
  1. Boqvist, Jesper
  2. Ullmark, Linus
Additional Details:
Holloway and a first is a price to pay to upgrade to Ullmark.
BOS
  1. Hertl, Tomas
  2. Kähkönen, Kaapo ($1,375,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Hertl gets freed from San Jose and fills a void with the Bruins. Kaapo comes as a cheaper backup this year. If Bussi is ready, he’ll beat him out
SJS
  1. Campbell, Jack
  2. Geekie, Morgan
  3. Grzelcyk, Matt
  4. Holloway, Dylan
  5. Merkulov, Georgi
  6. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
San Jose takes Campbell for a haul including two young forwards with a lot of upside in Holloway and Merkulov. That Edmonton pick could be really appealing if it’s not just a goalie.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$81,315,834$4,500,000$580,000$2,184,166
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$6,750,000$6,750,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 3
$11,250,000$11,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 7
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$3,475,000$3,475,000
G
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$1,375,000$1,375,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 7, 2023 at 9:45 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Yeah I think those are very reasonable
Nov. 7, 2023 at 9:59 a.m.
If you're sending Edmonton a vezina winning goalie and taking back a 5 mil cap hit for the next 3 seasons you need to be getting a lot more then Holloway and a first.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:13 a.m.
Ully NTC says no.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:14 a.m.
Pete
Celtics21 seems to be a secret Sharks fan.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:15 a.m.
Pop Pop
Look at Boston they don't need to rush out and make moves, they can be calm and let the market come to them.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:29 a.m.
The bruins are playing excellent hockey, doing anything this drastic right now would be dumb. Not to mention, Edmonton probably has to give up a 1st and Holloway just to get rid of Campbell and his contract, so you're really not getting much for Ullmark.

Also, Gryz is still better than Lohrei. I know he's played pretty damn well, but you can still see some holes in the kid's game. Need depth as the season goes on
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:35 a.m.
Quoting: dugg133
If you're sending Edmonton a vezina winning goalie and taking back a 5 mil cap hit for the next 3 seasons you need to be getting a lot more then Holloway and a first.

Campbell is going to San Jose in this deal. The question for San Jose is the rest of the package good enough to take on that contract. I believe it is for them.

Holloway is a good young forward with a lot of upside. That first round pick should be later if they acquire Ullmark, but the risk is that Ullmark doesn’t fix Edmonton and the pick is higher than anticipated.

Quoting: Gofnut999
Ully NTC says no.

16 teams in the league he has said he wouldn’t want to be traded to at the beginning of the year. My assumption is there are 16 worst situations in the league. Playing with two of the top 5 players in the league is interesting. Not sure what his parameters are.

Quoting: Pete
Celtics21 seems to be a secret Sharks fan.

Nah. My perspective is you have to give to get. I do think you could make arguments on the inclusion of Merkulov and is it necessary

Campbell is a dumpster fire and I wouldn’t want his contract at full price. I don’t believe Boston would do a deal without the inclusion of San Jose.

That said, I do like Hertl a great deal. He’d be a plug and play fit in between DeBrusk and Marchand. Boston keeps Lysell whose talent is very valuable. After a slow start, he’s close to a PPG player right biw.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
Quoting: Celtics21
Campbell is going to San Jose in this deal. The question for San Jose is the rest of the package good enough to take on that contract. I believe it is for them.

Holloway is a good young forward with a lot of upside. That first round pick should be later if they acquire Ullmark, but the risk is that Ullmark doesn’t fix Edmonton and the pick is higher than anticipated.

16 teams in the league he has said he wouldn’t want to be traded to at the beginning of the year. My assumption is there are 16 worst situations in the league. Playing with two of the top 5 players in the league is interesting. Not sure what his parameters are.

Nah. My perspective is you have to give to get. I do think you could make arguments on the inclusion of Merkulov and is it necessary

Campbell is a dumpster fire and I wouldn’t want his contract at full price. I don’t believe Boston would do a deal without the inclusion of San Jose.

That said, I do like Hertl a great deal. He’d be a plug and play fit in between DeBrusk and Marchand. Boston keeps Lysell whose talent is very valuable. After a slow start, he’s close to a PPG player right biw.

Location, location, location. Just like real estate when it comes to NTC and desirability the 3 biggest factors are location, taxes, rebuild/compete.

16 is a lot of teams and Edmonton fails 2 of the 3.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:51 a.m.
Location, location, location. Just like real estate when it comes to NTC and desirability the 3 biggest factors are location, taxes, rebuild/compete.

16 is a lot of teams and Edmonton fails 2 of the 3.

NTC’s can be driven by a lot of factors. A lot of players exclude all teams from Canada. Others exclude bad teams. The reality is his likelihood of getting an extension in Edmonton is considerably higher and at the beginning of the year, they were considered a Stanley cup contender

Quoting: LPProductions
The bruins are playing excellent hockey, doing anything this drastic right now would be dumb. Not to mention, Edmonton probably has to give up a 1st and Holloway just to get rid of Campbell and his contract, so you're really not getting much for Ullmark.

Also, Gryz is still better than Lohrei. I know he's played pretty damn well, but you can still see some holes in the kid's game. Need depth as the season goes on

Lohrei isn’t as good as Grz right now, but he’s probably in a position to be an upgrade during the playoffs. I get why there is an argument not to touch this team and just ride the two goalie system for the next two years. I’m OK with that to, but I do like Hertl a great deal and feel he could help with a championship run
Nov. 7, 2023 at 10:54 a.m.
NTC’s can be driven by a lot of factors. A lot of players exclude all teams from Canada. Others exclude bad teams. The reality is his likelihood of getting an extension in Edmonton is considerably higher and at the beginning of the year, they were considered a Stanley cup contender

Lohrei isn’t as good as Grz right now, but he’s probably in a position to be an upgrade during the playoffs. I get why there is an argument not to touch this team and just ride the two goalie system for the next two years. I’m OK with that to, but I do like Hertl a great deal and feel he could help with a championship run

With 16 teams he has the ability to do both.

He’ll get an extension wherever he is moved to, if not UFA. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Nov. 7, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
Edited Nov. 7, 2023 at 11:32 a.m.
This is a bad trade for the Sharks because Holloway is not as strong a prospect as his draft position suggests. Despite his 1st round pedigree, he's scored 9 points in 62 NHL games so far. That's not to say he has no NHL future, but I imagine the Sharks would rather trade for a prospect with more upside. As for Merkulov, he seems to be trending up, but he's undersized and is under a point per game in the AHL. I honestly don't think he moves the needle much at all.

The Sharks won't accept taking on Campbell without at least a 1st in return. Others have suggested the price of offloading Campbell might be a 1st plus a good prospect. Even if this package were dangled, I don't know if Grier accepts it because he's looking for cap flexibility in 25-26 (see the Karlsson trade).

I can see why you need to include Grzelcyk to balance salaries, and he's a real NHL player, but again doesn't really move the needle.

In terms of reasons why the Sharks might like this package, the 24 Edmonton 1st might be juicy if Ullmark doesn't turn the team around. Geekie is a good NHL player on an affordable contract, so he boosts the trade package value.

Honestly, this package is lacking a 2nd 1st from a Sharks perspective because currently it's more like Morgan Geekie and Holloway for Tomas Hertl, which is an underpay. Grzelcyk helps with cap balance, but doens't entice the Sharks. Campbell and a 1st for Kahkonen is not enough. Sharks have little interest in Merkulov.

If Hertl demands a trade to Boston, then we lose leverage and can't demand the 2nd 1st. A straight swap of Geekie, Grzelcyk, and a high pick or prospect, without Campbell might do it.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 11:17 a.m.
With 16 teams he has the ability to do both.

He’ll get an extension wherever he is moved to, if not UFA. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The scenarios were examined in the offseason.

Pretty easy to make a list 15-20 teams that were not going to trade for him. Pretty easy to make a list of 8-10 places of little desire to go to and use the rest on teams most likely to trade for him.

In short pretty easy to make a list to guarantee he does not get traded unless he is willing to waive.

The only scenario in which EDM is not on that list.

1-he wants to be traded (he doesn’t)

2-he truly loves Edmonton - i can’t answer that.

Even then he can still put them on his list as one of the more likely teams looking for an upgrade, and decide if/when the time comes if the situation is right for him.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: pavelski_tip_in
A straight swap of Geekie, Grzelcyk, and a high pick or prospect, without Campbell might do it.

The reality is the trade was the return for Ullmark, Grzelcyk, Geekie, and Merkulov for Hertl and Kaapa partially retained.

From my perspective, you can work on whatever package with Edmonton you’d want. I could see Campbell at 50 percent retention and less draft capital.

I find most prospects struggle, which is why when you have a kid like Poitras, you embrace him. I like Holloway more than you. I think he’s worth a late first, but I can understand the hesitation
pavelski_tip_in liked this.
Nov. 7, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
The only scenario in which EDM is not on that list.

1-he wants to be traded (he doesn’t)

2-he truly loves Edmonton - i can’t answer that.

Even then he can still put them on his list as one of the more likely teams looking for an upgrade, and decide if/when the time comes if the situation is right for him.

You can infer and guess. No one knows.

I do believe that securing a contract extension next year is of value to Ullmark, but I can see wanting to stay here this year as important
Nov. 7, 2023 at 5:53 p.m.
Edited Nov. 7, 2023 at 6:15 p.m.
You can infer and guess. No one knows.

I do believe that securing a contract extension next year is of value to Ullmark, but I can see wanting to stay here this year as important

It’s numbers and common sense.

It’s also having him say he when he was in Buffalo he considered leaving the NHL and going back to Europe due to depression.

Knowing how happy he is now, his relationship with Sway, pretty easy to say his first choice is to stay despite a move being inevitable.

As far as the extension goes, who cares? Nobody is giving him 8 years so how is negotiating with 1 team better than negotiating with multiple teams in free agency and choosing his best option? Unless he feels his value will never be higher or less in 2 years which is a possibility.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll