Forums/Armchair-GM

Rasmus Andersson

Created by: Lactic_Flaccid
Team: 2023-24 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 3, 2023
Published: Nov. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Building off my post the other day... My thoughts on what it would take to get Rasmus Andersson on the team

Using the Hronek trade as a reference and referencing this draft pick value table (https://soundofhockey.com/2022/06/06/examining-the-value-of-nhl-draft-picks/)

Hronek + 105th Pick (10.50)
FOR
17th Pick (260.15) + 43rd Pick (81.79) = 341.94 (-10.50) = 331.44

So net loss of 331 draft value score to acquire Hronek.

Vancouver gets a year and a half of Hronek who at the time of trade was seen as a capable top 4, 25 year old RHD at a fair cap hit.

Rasmus Andersson is a capable top 4, 27 year old RHD at a very similar cap hit, but who is locked up for an extra year. Play styles are totally different, but I think they are rated fairly similarly across the league. You could give the slight edge to Andersson, but not by a significant margin. Strangely they were both taken with the 53rd overall pick in consecutive drafts, just interesting to see the similarities. At the time of trade, Detroit was seen as winning the deal, but looking at Vancouver and Hronek's performance this year I would say its so far aging pretty well for both teams. So here are a few packages I propose to bring in Andersson:

Andersson + a fourth (roughly 12 pts)
FOR
Ducks 1st (300-350) AND Boston 2nd (40-60)
= Andersson for a net loss of 330-400 draft value

Andersson
FOR
Zellweger + Ducks 2nd (70-85)
= For same value as the above trade, this values Zellweger at 280 (roughly equal to a 15th overall pick)
Similar vibe to the Fiala for Faber and 19th overall trade

I feel like both these trades are more than fair value to get him here. However, Andersson and Weegar are the only two defensemen on Calgary signed past this year, so I am sure Flames fans will be resistant to this, but picking up either a couple of high picks, or an electric and promising young defenseman who can be PPQB could be exactly what they need to kick start a retool or rebuild.

Obviously, we need to wait a bit to see how this season unfolds, and to see where we settle in the standings before we know if a deal like this would make sense, but this is the type of deadline deal I would love to see Pat make if the boys are buzzing and still fighting for a playoff spot at the deadline. Buying a top pairing defenseman to play with Mintyukov for a few years to show the team that you are buying into what we are seeing from them, gives them the chance to play meaningful hockey through the end of the season, which I think has understated value for a young team that has finished at the bottom of the league for a long time now. But at the same time, you aren't leveraging the future too much and you are getting two and a half prime years out of a guy who can play on this defense until what is looking to be an insane 2026 offseason for the Ducks (and he will be young enough to justify resigning for a few more years dependent on how he works out with the team). My preference is the trade with Zellweger, we get to keep our first rounder, only losing a second rounder which could be brought back easily in a Henrique trade. So the only major loss is Zellweger, who I do love but he will be hard pressed to find a roster spot if Lacombe and Mintyukov continue the development path they are on, and if Fowler rides out the remainder of his contract.
Trades
ANA
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (CGY)
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. Henrique, Adam
  2. Lyubushkin, Ilya
Additional Details:
Out at the deadline, anywhere. Silf seems to have negative value with his contract and aging play. Not sure any team is going to want him
ANA
  1. Andersson, Rasmus
  2. 2024 4th round pick (CGY)
CGY
  1. 2024 1st round pick (ANA)
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (BOS)
ANA
    Rasmus Andersson
    CGY
    1. Zellweger, Olen
    2. 2024 2nd round pick (ANA)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the ANA
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$83,500,000$70,920,000$0$7,225,000$12,580,000

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 3
    $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,250,000$3M)
    C
    RFA - 3
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 7
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 4
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    RW, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,295,000$1,295,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    C
    RFA - 1
    $425,000$425,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW
    UFA - 3
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$550,000$550K)
    LD
    RFA - 3
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $4,550,000$4,550,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $6,400,000$6,400,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $2,300,000$2,300,000
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $812,500$812,500
    G
    RFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $850,000$850,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
    mokumboi
    Those aren't getting Andersson, brother.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
    Ras isn't available but he will coat a fortune to acquire. Zellweger and a 2nd isn't getting it done
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
    Quoting: mokumboi
    Those aren't getting Andersson, brother.

Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
    Ras isn't available but he will coat a fortune to acquire. Zellweger and a 2nd isn't getting it done

If this doesnt get it done, then what does?
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
    Kinda interesting data, I only really skimmed it, but take this into your valuation. Rasmus is Calgarys best defenseman and Hronek was buried beneath Mo.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
    mokumboi
    Quoting: TrevorsZebras

He's almost certainly not available, but yeah he'd cost big. The whole premise is way off, he's worth a good bit more than Hronek was at the time of the trade
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
    Quoting: oilfire
    Kinda interesting data, I only really skimmed it, but take this into your valuation. Rasmus is Calgarys best defenseman and Hronek was buried beneath Mo.

That's a fair point. But Detroit was also not really entering rebuild territory, I think if the Flames decide to go full rebuild then they have a little bit of an easier time not filling Andersson's spot and embracing the tank for a couple years. Without Andersson though, their defense core is pretty rough
    oilfire liked this.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
    He certainly would be a fun add but he is going to cost way more than we should pay to acquire
    LosPatos liked this.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Feels like too early an add and too old an individual. I'd rather leverage our cap space to pull off a Dougie Hamilton move.

2024 is supposed to be a RHD heavy draft on the first round, would rather stick to the plan.
    Lactic_Flaccid liked this.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:21 p.m.
    I think the Hronek comp is legit. Hronek was buried in Detroit but now clealry showing he is a first pairing RHD. The clear differnce between the two players is Anderssons contract that is outstanding and where he is far better than Hronek (Hronek will likely get $7M per (likely) at the end of this season, While Rasmussen will have two more years after this one at approx $4M). Consequently there will likely need to be a sig premium to get Andersson, over what Van paid. Likely 2 -firsts, or a First and a top prospect. In the Canucks case this would likely involve Willander.
    It would also assume that Calgary's season has been a disaster for them to consider selling off assets like Rasmussen, which is far too early at this point to tell. If there is a sell off at the TDL, then its possible that Calgary considers a rebuild and starts selling.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
    LosPatos
    I would advise not to move our 1st until we really know what our team looks like (30-40 games in) and I definitely would advise to not move Zellweger
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:37 p.m.

It will cost more than Chychrun. Chychrun asked for a trade so he was on the block, that's not the case with Calgary and Ras. You would have to blow them out of the water
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
    First round bust

The only way I see Andersson traded this year is for a 1st line forward with term to get Huberdeau going. I mentioned in another thread that someone like Tuch comes to mind. I doubt you'd be willing to part with Terry, or McTavish.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 4:02 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    Quoting: Bast
    The only way I see Andersson traded this year is for a 1st line forward with term to get Huberdeau going. I mentioned in another thread that someone like Tuch comes to mind. I doubt you'd be willing to part with Terry, or McTavish.

You assume correctly.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
    Quoting: Dickie_Dunn
    I think the Hronek comp is legit. Hronek was buried in Detroit but now clealry showing he is a first pairing RHD. The clear differnce between the two players is Anderssons contract that is outstanding and where he is far better than Hronek (Hronek will likely get $7M per (likely) at the end of this season, While Rasmussen will have two more years after this one at approx $4M). Consequently there will likely need to be a sig premium to get Andersson, over what Van paid. Likely 2 -firsts, or a First and a top prospect. In the Canucks case this would likely involve Willander.
    It would also assume that Calgary's season has been a disaster for them to consider selling off assets like Rasmussen, which is far too early at this point to tell. If there is a sell off at the TDL, then its possible that Calgary considers a rebuild and starts selling.

Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
    It will cost more than Chychrun. Chychrun asked for a trade so he was on the block, that's not the case with Calgary and Ras. You would have to blow them out of the water

Quoting: Bast

Quoting: GiggywithGibby
    Feels like too early an add and too old an individual. I'd rather leverage our cap space to pull off a Dougie Hamilton move.

2024 is supposed to be a RHD heavy draft on the first round, would rather stick to the plan.

Quoting: LosPatos
    I would advise not to move our 1st until we really know what our team looks like (30-40 games in) and I definitely would advise to not move Zellweger

Alright, alright... All fair points, I think I may be undervaluing Andersson's value a bit here, so thanks for keeping me honest. If he costs more than these proposals, then it is probably not worth it with the Ducks current trajectory. Will be interesting to see how the season goes for both Calgary and Anaheim because I think there could be a middle ground there depending on their seasons. If Andersson gets frustrated with the Flames direction and asks for a trade, the Ducks should be calling immediately
    Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
    Quoting: LosPatos

What is the plan for him though? Play Lacombe on the right side until Fowler's contract expires to make space? I don't know that his value will ever be higher than it is right now
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 4:50 p.m.
    If Calgary starts shedding dmen in a sell-off…Zadorov, Hanifin, Tanev are likely the guys to go first. Once their replacements are in place, then ask about Andersson. Maybe if they extended a couple of those guys, but even then they may need Rasmus at his low AAV to keep things balanced. Also…without Lindholm extended…it’s hard to imagine they move a guy like Andersson (unless it’s some Johansen for Jones type whooper to replace Lindholm).

In short, probably bad time to ask for Andersson.
    Nov. 9, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
    LosPatos
    What is the plan for him though? Play Lacombe on the right side until Fowler's contract expires to make space? I don't know that his value will ever be higher than it is right now

The only scenario I see Zellweger traded is if it’s for a top line winger

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll