Forums/Armchair-GM

Jets buy at the deadline

Created by: Howie
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 22, 2023
Published: Nov. 25, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Going to get flamed by both fan bases for this one. Monahan is great but he has massive health concerns mtl fans which can't be denied. Monahan at this exact moment is worth a 2nd to me and would need to stay healthy and keep on the defensive play and get more offense to be worth a 1st
Trades
WPG
  1. Monahan, Sean
  2. Savard, David
Additional Details:
Jets get Monahan who at the time of creation is borderline worth a first atm with major injury concerns which definitely hurts his value as who wants to pay a 1st for a guy that doesn't play for you. Mtl fans have to realize sure he's been amazing when he plays but that's when he's actually healthy and keeps up the pace he's at. For this trade he goes for the first but the jets also swap Schmidt for Savard who is a stanley cup champ and physical rhd.
MTL
  1. Schmidt, Nate
  2. 2024 1st round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
First is conditional on jets making the playoffs and Monahan playing more than 50% of games (no condition on making next round similar to the riley nash trade to Toronto a couple years ago)

Canadiens get a first round pick for Monahan which he definitely could be or couldn't be come deadline. Schmidt goes back to mtl as a veteran replacement for Savard who is a great locker room guy and could be a great partner for kovacevic.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$83,500,000$81,267,858$0$865,000$2,232,142
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 3
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,437,500$3,437,500
RW, C
RFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 25, 2023 at 2:37 p.m.
Losing Savard hurts too much MTL defensive core
The trade proposal above is more than fair, but the fact that Savard is a good mentor, great locker room guy and the only RHD who can play tough minutes makes it hard for Hughes too accept. Matheson-Guhle-Harris-Xhekaj-Schmidt, this is a tons of LHD while thin on RHD
Nov. 25, 2023 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: CBA
Losing Savard hurts too much MTL defensive core
The trade proposal above is more than fair, but the fact that Savard is a good mentor, great locker room guy and the only RHD who can play tough minutes makes it hard for Hughes too accept. Matheson-Guhle-Harris-Xhekaj-Schmidt, this is a tons of LHD while thin on RHD

Schmidt can play both sides as well and provides a similar role as Savard but more offensive and less physical defensively (blocks, hits, etc) I feel it's fair as Savard is a better playoff player than Schmidt but aren't too far off but Savard has lower cap. Monahan is doing worse than last year at this time so I don't think he's worth a first unless the market for him expands drastically
Nov. 25, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
What makes me bullish on Monahan returning a 1st (if healthy obviously) is that he would be either the best or second best (if Lindholm is made available by Calgary) centre option at the TDL. Contending teams are always keen on adding centre depth and especially if that player is as versatile as Monahan who can play just as ably on the wing of skill players like Suzuki and Caufield or centre a hard-nosed checking line with the likes of Gallagher and Pearson. I don't see anything but a 1st or equivalent prospect being enough to make MTL sell unless there is truly no market (which would be a surprise).

The second part I dislike about that trade is adding Schmidt for Savard. MTL aren't looking to add LHD whether veteran or otherwise and subtracting a RHD for a LHD on top of adding $2.5m in cap nest season just isn't appealing in the least.
CBA liked this.
Nov. 25, 2023 at 2:47 p.m.
Tony Ferguson Fan
Quoting: Howie
Schmidt can play both sides as well and provides a similar role as Savard but more offensive and less physical defensively (blocks, hits, etc) I feel it's fair as Savard is a better playoff player than Schmidt but aren't too far off but Savard has lower cap. Monahan is doing worse than last year at this time so I don't think he's worth a first unless the market for him expands drastically

I think the Jets would need to pay assets to get rid of Schmidt.

I dont watch the Jets a lot so maybe he is great defensively and i dont know, but 6 mil AAV for a guy with 1 point in 17 games, thats a lot of money.
Caufield and CBA liked this.
Nov. 25, 2023 at 2:47 p.m.
Quoting: LumberJacques
What makes me bullish on Monahan returning a 1st (if healthy obviously) is that he would be either the best or second best (if Lindholm is made available by Calgary) centre option at the TDL. Contending teams are always keen on adding centre depth and especially if that player is as versatile as Monahan who can play just as ably on the wing of skill players like Suzuki and Caufield or centre a hard-nosed checking line with the likes of Gallagher and Pearson. I don't see anything but a 1st or equivalent prospect being enough to make MTL sell unless there is truly no market (which would be a surprise).

The second part I dislike about that trade is adding Schmidt for Savard. MTL aren't looking to add LHD whether veteran or otherwise and subtracting a RHD for a LHD on top of adding $2.5m in cap nest season just isn't appealing in the least.

I doubt he'll be the 2nd best center as teams don't exactly have people available now vs at the deadline. Monahan may get a 1st but it's not just Monahan would have to include something else as well as the pick obviously conditional on Monahan healthy for playoffs
Nov. 25, 2023 at 2:49 p.m.
Quoting: Aaron_Dell_Pickle
I think the Jets would need to pay assets to get rid of Schmidt.

I dont watch the Jets a lot so maybe he is great defensively and i dont know, but 6 mil AAV for a guy with 1 point in 17 games, thats a lot of money.

Well Monahan ain't worth a first so the first gets added to swap Schmidt for Savard who also has injury history. If you want a 1st for Monahan it isn't 1 for 1 lol
Nov. 25, 2023 at 2:57 p.m.
I doubt he'll be the 2nd best center as teams don't exactly have people available now vs at the deadline. Monahan may get a 1st but it's not just Monahan would have to include something else as well as the pick obviously conditional on Monahan healthy for playoffs

Who do you expect to be available that's a better fit for a contender than Monahan?

Outside of Lindholm the likely options are guys like Laughton, Wennberg, Kuznetsov, Pageau, Frost, Henrique, Tyler Johnson and Dickinson. Its not a massive list and none of those guys has a lower cap hit than Monahan or as complete a game.
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
Sennecke is a gem
MTL definitely declines. replace Schmidt for a pick and its more reasonable. Say what you want about Monahan's value, if MTL don't receive a 1st minimum, MTL resigns him
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:05 p.m.
Hopefully Chevy is smart enough to steer clear of that. Both players aren't worth anywhere close to a 1st to Winnipeg. Neither player is a difference maker. Especially with Winnipeg paying a premium to downgrade a defenseman they don't need to move.

Just because of Chiarot fluking a 1st doesn't mean all Montreal marginal players are worth a 1st
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
Quoting: Caufield
MTL definitely declines. replace Schmidt for a pick and its more reasonable. Say what you want about Monahan's value, if MTL don't receive a 1st minimum, MTL resigns him

Resign the injury prone guy then not worth a first whatsoever
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:12 p.m.
Who do you expect to be available that's a better fit for a contender than Monahan?

Outside of Lindholm the likely options are guys like Laughton, Wennberg, Kuznetsov, Pageau, Frost, Henrique, Tyler Johnson and Dickinson. Its not a massive list and none of those guys has a lower cap hit than Monahan or as complete a game.

Monahan ain't worth a 1st. I'd rather add a prospect and something else to get lindholm at that point. In no way is Monahan worth a 1st straight up
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Monahan ain't worth a 1st. I'd rather add a prospect and something else to get lindholm at that point. In no way is Monahan worth a 1st straight up

Oh look, the Lehkonen/Chiarot trashtalk again.

A top 6 player, top of the league in faceoffs with a next to mothing caphit? Of course Monahan is worth a 1st.

It's Monahan for a 1st. MTL wants nothing to do with taking on Schmidt .
LumberJacques liked this.
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:26 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
Oh look, the Lehkonen/Chiarot trashtalk again.

A top 6 player, top of the league in faceoffs with a next to mothing caphit? Of course Monahan is worth a 1st.

It's Monahan for a 1st. MTL wants nothing to do with taking on Schmidt .

Okay get a 1st elsewhere, as much as you say he's worth a 1st you forget the most important aspect, no team is going to trade a 1st for him with his injury history which can't be ignored. A team has to be WILLING to trade a 1st and if the do it's not 1 for 1 (mtl adds a 3rd, another player, etc) and will be very conditional as why pay a first for a guy that is a walking injury at this point.
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:31 p.m.
Habs 7th round 1983

If it's not WPG it will be TOR. Or EDM. Or BOS. Or NYR. Or NJD. Or WSH.

Do you see a pattern here?
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:32 p.m.
Quoting: VladislavTretiak
If it's not WPG it will be TOR. Or EDM. Or BOS. Or NYR. Or NJD.

Do you see a pattern here?

Not winnipeg at that price lol he's teams back up option that will have heavy conditions on a lasting health of a walking injury known as Monahan
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
Habs 7th round 1983
Not winnipeg at that price lol he's teams back up option that will have heavy conditions on a lasting health of a walking injury known as Monahan

Of course. Montreal is wishing you all the best on your SC run.
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.

That's a perfectly reasonable position.

The problem is that we don't know if Lindholm will even be available, he might re-sign with Calgary before the Deadline or he might not. If Lindholm is available then WPG will be in competition with at least half a dozen teams for his services and there can only be one winner. Those who don't get Lindholm will turn to the next best option which is Monahan. With at least TB, FLA, BOS, NYR, COL, DAL, VGK and VAN in positions to be aggressive buyers I estimate it as likely that Monahan finds a suitor willing to pay the asking price even if the Jets are not.
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
Quoting: VladislavTretiak
Of course. Montreal is wishing you all the best on your SC run.

I hope Monahan stays healthy but can't deny the risk in paying such a high price for a guy who could not play a single game. If a 1st is needed I'd rather pay extra for a legit center like lindholm who also have elite faceoffs. Jets need a top 4 rhd more tho
Nov. 25, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
That's a perfectly reasonable position.

The problem is that we don't know if Lindholm will even be available, he might re-sign with Calgary before the Deadline or he might not. If Lindholm is available then WPG will be in competition with at least half a dozen teams for his services and there can only be one winner. Those who don't get Lindholm will turn to the next best option which is Monahan. With at least TB, FLA, BOS, NYR, COL, DAL, VGK and VAN in positions to be aggressive buyers I estimate it as likely that Monahan finds a suitor willing to pay the asking price even if the Jets are not.

How many of those teams have/ can afford to trade another first. BOS, FLA, TB and PIT all have traded their 2024 first and have below average prospects. If lindholm is available which is likely jets have a 1st which half the teams you mentioned don't and the other half don't a hole at center (nyr have zib and trocheck, Colorado has Mackinnon and Johanson, Dallas has hintz and segiun) so jets have the best chance of everyone you mentioned lol and that took 5 minutes to look into at most
Nov. 25, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Edited Nov. 25, 2023 at 5:09 p.m.
Okay get a 1st elsewhere, as much as you say he's worth a 1st you forget the most important aspect, no team is going to trade a 1st for him with his injury history which can't be ignored. A team has to be WILLING to trade a 1st and if the do it's not 1 for 1 (mtl adds a 3rd, another player, etc) and will be very conditional as why pay a first for a guy that is a walking injury at this point.

Like you said, MTL will get a 1st somewhere. Only need one.

Conditionnal to be healthy? Obviously.

+ a 3rd? Not gonna argue argue about such low value difference.

Not from Winnipeg? Well dont blame me for the idea, this isnt my AGM, it's yours...
LumberJacques liked this.
Nov. 25, 2023 at 4:32 p.m.
How many of those teams have/ can afford to trade another first. BOS, FLA, TB and PIT all have traded their 2024 first and have below average prospects. If lindholm is available which is likely jets have a 1st which half the teams you mentioned don't and the other half don't a hole at center (nyr have zib and trocheck, Colorado has Mackinnon and Johanson, Dallas has hintz and segiun) so jets have the best chance of everyone you mentioned lol and that took 5 minutes to look into at most

My point wasn't that WPG have no chance of getting Lindholm. It was that if Lindholm is available only one team can get him and subsequently those who did not get him will turn to Monahan as the best option, which makes him a sought after commodity and supports a high valuation IMO.

It's true that most contenders don't have highly rated prospect pools but that doesn't mean they don't have any noteworthy prospects, it simply means they don't have many of them and likely no elite ones (which a team likely wouldn't trade anyways). TB could make Howard or Gauthier available to offset the lack of a 2024 pick and BOS could use Lohrei or Lysell in the same capacity while PIT could use Yager. GMs who believe they are close to a cup often find ways of being creative to improve their team.

LA having Kopitar and Danault didn't prevent them from adding Dubois nor did Toronto having Matthews and Tavares prevent them from targeting O'Reilly and Acciari. Boston's great blueline didn't prevent them from adding Orlov nor did Carolina having Slavin and Skjei on the left and Burns and Pesce on the right prevent them from signing Orlov and DeAngelo. A team doesn't require a hole at a certain position to be interested in upgrading their roster for a trip to the playoffs.
Nov. 25, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.
Prime Primeau
I would do Monahan for Winnipeg’s second that turns into a first if he stay healthy. Schmidt cost a second to dump. Savard cost a second to acquire. So you are missing 2 seconds here
Nov. 25, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
Quoting: GuyGuyGuy
I would do Monahan for Winnipeg’s second that turns into a first if he stay healthy. Schmidt cost a second to dump. Savard cost a second to acquire. So you are missing 2 seconds here

Jets don't have their own first would need to be something else as we have your 2nd which is going to be a late 1st already. I'd rather go for different players that fit the need better anyway so if the price is that high it's a no go

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll