Forums/Armchair-GM

Why are people trading for Seth Jones

Created by: T0R
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 1, 2023
Published: Dec. 1, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
He isn’t bad by any stretch of the imagination & is a 1D but like 9 mil, still young for Chicago, Full NMC, he wouldn’t be a horrible addition cause he has some great upside but wtf has happened to convince people he wants a trade?

Like I doubt Chicago wants to move a 28yr old RHD who was a former all-star
Trades
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,500,000$83,006,450$0$0$493,550
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,550,000$3,550,000
G
UFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 1, 2023 at 6:26 a.m.
Can you explain your logic in thinking he'd be satisfied wasting his prime on one of the worst teams in the league, when he already requested a trade out of CBJ for that exact reason? Your thinking here is hilariously backwards...

Keeping in mind Chicago is rebuilding, and has already traded Hagel, Dach, Debrincat, McCabe, Domi, Kane, basically any player of any value whatsoever?
Dec. 1, 2023 at 6:30 a.m.
Quoting: Affectionate_Side_64
Can you explain your logic in thinking he'd be satisfied wasting his prime on one of the worst teams in the league, when he already requested a trade out of CBJ for that exact reason? Your thinking here is hilariously backwards...

Keeping in mind Chicago is rebuilding, and has already traded Hagel, Dach, Debrincat, McCabe, Domi, Kane, basically any player of any value whatsoever?

But now they have someone to build around in Bedard & a crap ton of Cap Space, so if they want to be competing by next year, they can be
GMBL and exo2769 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 6:35 a.m.
Quoting: T0R
But now they have someone to build around in Bedard & a crap ton of Cap Space, so if they want to be competing by next year, they can be

You truly believe that eh? Rather than going through the mental gymnastics of creating a narrative that supports your naiive stance, try to apply some basic common sense here. This should be an easy one...

He has a much better chance at a cup with Toronto while he's in his prime than with Chicago, Bedard is far from the final piece and they're in the early stages of arguably the most severe scorched rebuild the league has ever seen. All you need to do is look at their roster and their record....
Dec. 1, 2023 at 6:36 a.m.

Imagine if they win the Draft Lottery this year or even stay at 2.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 6:41 a.m.
You truly believe that eh? Rather than going through the mental gymnastics of creating a narrative that supports your naiive stance, try to apply some basic common sense here. This should be an easy one...

He has a much better chance at a cup with Toronto while he's in his prime than with Chicago, Bedard is far from the final piece and they're in the early stages of arguably the most severe scorched rebuild the league has ever seen. All you need to do is look at their roster and their record....

If Jones became available, there would be multiple teams after him that will likely pay more, he also has multiple years left Chicago just got Bedard who looks like a stud, give it 1-2 years & I believe they’ll be in a great spot
SociallyHawkward liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 6:47 a.m.
If Jones became available, there would be multiple teams after him that will likely pay more, he also has multiple years left Chicago just got Bedard who looks like a stud, give it 1-2 years & I believe they’ll be in a great spot

I don't think this is a small package by any means and I think the Leafs would be among the teams who should be willing to win a bidding war. When you say 1-2 years I can't tell if you're being disingenuous or if you're just completely delusional, but there is plenty of precedence to prove how hopelessly naïve that statement is. Again, it should be as simple as looking at their roster and their current place in the standings.

Sorry, but you're wayyyy off with this take....
Dec. 1, 2023 at 6:51 a.m.
I don't think this is a small package by any means and I think the Leafs would be among the teams who should be willing to win a bidding war. When you say 1-2 years I can't tell if you're being disingenuous or if you're just completely delusional, but there is plenty of precedence to prove how hopelessly naïve that statement is. Again, it should be as simple as looking at their roster and their current place in the standings.

Sorry, but you're wayyyy off with this take....

I think you’re making too many assumptions for your take, Chicago is loaded with young talent plus another high pick this year is likely, even more if they move Hall, I see 0 purpose for Jones to move, he has 0 expectations or pressure, yeah he isn’t competing but he also has 7 more years plus some guys prefer to play in the states
Garak liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 6:59 a.m.
I think you’re making too many assumptions for your take, Chicago is loaded with young talent plus another high pick this year is likely, even more if they move Hall, I see 0 purpose for Jones to move, he has 0 expectations or pressure, yeah he isn’t competing but he also has 7 more years plus some guys prefer to play in the states

If he was resistant to pressure and expectations then why would he have requested a trade from CBJ? He is a professional athlete who got to this level because of his competitive nature. Bedard is their best forward currently and he's still not even a top forward in the league yet. 1-2 years is not even close to being realistic and I think you probably know that as well. He'd be requesting a move for the same reason guys like Karlsson, Chychrun, Eichel and even Seth Jones when he was with CBJ requested trades, they are top tier players in their prime looking for a chance at a cup while they're at the peak of their careers. If you can't figure that out then this conversation is a waste of time. The playing in the states bit is a hail mary and is completed unsubstantiated. I've answered your question and clearly this conversation is going nowhere, so agree to disagree I guess.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 6:59 a.m.

Do you think Jones is the final piece for the Leafs? Toronto hasn't had any playoff success yet, and perhaps if Jones joined them this year, they would win the cup, but moving forward they just going to be trying to navigate the cap, for two years. So, his addition would probably be a hindrance more than anything beyond this one year. The prospect of Matthews possibly walking in 4-years is probably not very appealing either. By that time Bedard and the Hawks are probably competing, and Jones would have two years left on his deal still in Toronto. If he leaves Chicago, for a chance at a cup in his prime it's probably not going to be for Toronto. Dallas was one of two locations that he wanted to go to originally, if they want him then he would probably rather go there than Toronto. They some solid pieces up and down the roster, and the pathway to the Finals is much easier through the West than it is through the East via the Atlantic.

Why does he need to win a cup in his prime? If he wins later in his career it makes no difference. If they get the rebuild done right, then Chicago could be in a position to win multiple cups during Bedard's career. Today, their roster looks bad and they are at the bottom of the league, they will draft top 5, and if they wanted to they could move towards ending the rebuild by using their cap to sign good free agents. I'm sure that's what they will do if they win the draft lottery.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 7:03 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Do you think Jones is the final piece for the Leafs? Toronto hasn't had any playoff success yet, and perhaps if Jones joined them this year, they would win the cup, but moving forward they just going to be trying to navigate the cap, for two years. So, his addition would probably be a hindrance more than anything beyond this one year. The prospect of Matthews possibly walking in 4-years is probably not very appealing either. By that time Bedard and the Hawks are probably competing, and Jones would have two years left on his deal still in Toronto. If he leaves Chicago, for a chance at a cup in his prime it's probably not going to be for Toronto. Dallas was one of two locations that he wanted to go to originally, if they want him then he would probably rather go there than Toronto. They some solid pieces up and down the roster, and the pathway to the Finals is much easier through the West than it is through the East via the Atlantic.

Why does he need to win a cup in his prime? If he wins later in his career it makes no difference. If they get the rebuild done right, then Chicago could be in a position to win multiple cups during Bedard's career. Today, their roster looks bad and they are at the bottom of the league, they will draft top 5, and if they wanted to they could move towards ending the rebuild by using their cap to sign good free agents. I'm sure that's what they will do if they win the draft lottery.

To answer your question, yes I believe these additions could be the final pieces to a cup win. He's more likely to win a cup in his prime for obvious reasons, being the player that he is. When Chicago is ready to compete and he's being paid 9.5 mil as he declines he would be much more of a hindrance than he would be to the Leafs right now. I think you're underestimating what a good rebuild requires, so lets leave it at that.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 7:08 a.m.
To answer your question, yes I believe these additions could be the final pieces to a cup win. He's more likely to win a cup in his prime for obvious reasons, being the player that he is. When Chicago is ready to compete and he's being paid 9.5 mil as he declines he would be much more of a hindrance than he would be to the Leafs right now. I think you're underestimating what a good rebuild requires, so lets leave it at that.

I think you have a very poor understanding of the Blackhawks prospect pool
JK74 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 7:13 a.m.
I think you have a very poor understanding of the Blackhawks prospect pool

No, I don't. It is solid of course, but not only are you overrating it, they are also years away from being game changers in the NHL. As in, more than 1-2. I think you have a very poor understanding of the timeline a scorched earth rebuild sets, and this is not so much an opinion as it is common knowledge. I appreciate your self-assuredness, but I promise you that you're smart enough to step back and figure this out yourself. I'm out, best of luck with your journey of learning.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 7:44 a.m.
No, I don't. It is solid of course, but not only are you overrating it, they are also years away from being game changers in the NHL. As in, more than 1-2. I think you have a very poor understanding of the timeline a scorched earth rebuild sets, and this is not so much an opinion as it is common knowledge. I appreciate your self-assuredness, but I promise you that you're smart enough to step back and figure this out yourself. I'm out, best of luck with your journey of learning.

You have no clue what you are talking about. Our prospect pool is fantastic, and with five 1st round picks and eight 2nd round picks in the next 3 drafts, it is only going to get better. We have no reason to move Jones. Your proposed return wouldn't be enough for him WITHOUT RETENTION, let alone with it. Just stop. If you want him, pay up or look elsewhere.
JK74, Hawksguy81 and T0R liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 7:47 a.m.
Why are "people", meaning @Affectionate_Side_64, trading for Jones... Over and over again. How many proposals does this guy have to create around a single trade in the span of an hour before it is enough? Were you up all night doing cocaine or something?
T0R and Affectionate_Side_64 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 7:59 a.m.

It's not like Jones' is the type of player that just needs to be in the playoffs and he'll give the team a chance to win. So, like any other good player or player in general, while they are more likely to make a significant contribution to a Stanley Cup win in their prime, that doesn't mean they are more likely to win a cup in their prime. He just needs to still be good enough to play on a Cup-winning team, and they could win the cup for him.

Chicago is probably going to keep their team pretty void of prime-aged talent so that they can get the best deals on guys like Korchinski, Vlasic, and the other guys on the roster who are currently burning their ELCs. They have the opportunity to potentially get some pretty good deals, so Jones' 9.5M would probably not be much of a hindrance. By the time, their 2024 1st round selection is eligible for an extension Jones will be 32, or 33 when he burns it. They do need to spend to the cap floor and they have over 50M available in cap space, the good thing is that they have a bunch of RFAs on their current roster that they need to sign. They will end up with some pretty good players with good deals, and before you know it they would be competing.
Hawksguy81 liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 8:15 a.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Leafs decline to add a defender making more then riellys 7.5
Dec. 1, 2023 at 8:54 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Dec. 1, 2023 at 9:02 a.m.
Hawks are keeping Jones. I don't see anything going to the Hawks above, so technically I can't comment on the trade. He's exactly what the Hawks need for tbe next few years. Big mobile RD that can help mentor the young kids. They've got A LOT of up and coming LD. He and Vlasic should be Dpartners for the next 7 years imo. They've been outstanding on a team currently with a lot of holes. Even if Jones wants a trade...that would require a tough conversation with him and his agent basically saying in the most polite way ever...you mean more to us than another team can offer, you're stuck whether you like it or not. We have a contract.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: Garak
Why are "people", meaning Affectionate_Side_64, trading for Jones... Over and over again. How many proposals does this guy have to create around a single trade in the span of an hour before it is enough? Were you up all night doing cocaine or something?

I mean I saw it & was like, did I miss something?, did he request a trade?, did someone say he was unhappy

Like there is 0 reason for the Hawks to move Jones unless they get a substantial payment
Garak and SociallyHawkward liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 10:01 a.m.
Edited Dec. 1, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
I mean I saw it & was like, did I miss something?, did he request a trade?, did someone say he was unhappy

Like there is 0 reason for the Hawks to move Jones unless they get a substantial payment

Yeah. I get being fixated on a player sometimes, but that was like 4 or 5 posts in one night from the same person around the same player. A bit of overkill. haha

I agree, though. Davidson would have to 1. Not like Jones on this roster enough to take a big loss, 2. Have targets already in mind or in the works, either in free agency or through trades, and/or 3. Have a plan for getting over the floor next season. But, for almost the entirety of his contract, Blackhawks should have very little concern with creating cap space, and even at that point he would have to either be playing pretty bad or they would have to REALLY need the cap space for them to consider taking so little and retaining. At which point, they might as well retain the full 50% and maximize the return.

Edit: Which, if the plan is sound, I wouldn't mind them just moving on from guys quickly and possibly taking some losses. But, I don't see a lot of options out there that would lead me to believe that is an option right now, and I highly doubt CHI is trying to fast track the rebuild. And we wouldn't know any of that for at least a year or two. So, CHI fans would probably be screaming about it until they see the finished product.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll