SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Habs give also 2nd if Nylander signs

Created by: Habsby
Published: Dec. 12, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Salary Cap: $83,500,000
Season Days: 128/192 (67%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Monahan, SeanMontreal CanadiensNHL-$1,985,000011---288816--
Savard, DavidMontreal CanadiensNHL-$3,500,000011---6022--
Allen, JakeMontreal CanadiensNHL-$3,850,000011-------3.580.901
Harris, JordanMontreal CanadiensIR-$1,400,000011---16033--
2025 1st round pick (Logo of the Montreal CanadiensMTL)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Giordano, MarkToronto Maple LeafsIR-$800,000011---20145--
Nylander, WilliamToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$6,962,366011---25132134--
Samsonov, IlyaToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$3,550,000011-------3.290.884
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$3,457,5002346734916
Change-$577,366-1-1-1-100
Final$2,880,134 (↓)22 (↓)45 (↓)72 (↓)3 (↓)91661218

Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsToronto Maple Leafs

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Giordano, MarkToronto Maple LeafsIR-$800,000011---20145--
Nylander, WilliamToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$6,962,366011---25132134--
Samsonov, IlyaToronto Maple LeafsNHL-$3,550,000011-------3.290.884
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Monahan, SeanMontreal CanadiensNHL-$1,985,000011---288816--
Savard, DavidMontreal CanadiensNHL-$3,500,000011---6022--
Allen, JakeMontreal CanadiensNHL-$3,850,000011-------3.580.901
Harris, JordanMontreal CanadiensIR-$1,400,000011---16033--
2025 1st round pick (Logo of the Montreal CanadiensMTL)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$1,459,9992247632315
Change$577,366111100
Final$2,037,365 (↑)23 (↑)48 (↑)64 (↑)3 (↑)315-6-12-18
Dec. 12, 2023 at 5:23 p.m.
Canucks sorta homer
How to tell everyone you are a Habs homer, without telling everyone you are a Habs homer. This is terrible.
mokumboi and EatMyScoobySnack liked this.
Dec. 12, 2023 at 6:38 p.m.
Quoting: Hitagi_Senpai
How to tell everyone you are a Habs homer, without telling everyone you are a Habs homer. This is terrible.

Sorry, but this trade is just absolute nonsense from a _Habs_ perspective if Nylander is not signed. We'd get two useless players and a rental which we don't need, for the value of roughly 3 first rounders...
EatMyScoobySnack liked this.
Dec. 12, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.
Quoting: CD25
Sorry, but this trade is just absolute nonsense from a _Habs_ perspective if Nylander is not signed. We'd get two useless players and a rental which we don't need, for the value of roughly 3 first rounders...

Spoken like a true homer.

That's only 1 first rounder. Savard and Allen are cap dumps. Monahan and Harris aren't worth another 1st or even enough to pay for the cap dumps.
Hitagi_Senpai liked this.
Dec. 12, 2023 at 8:06 p.m.
Quoting: MoxNix

That's only 1 first rounder. Savard and Allen are cap dumps. Monahan and Harris aren't worth another 1st or even enough to pay for the cap dumps.

Could you please stop just throwing "homer" here and "homer" there and try substantiating what you have to say? Allen is better than Samsonov and his cap + that of Giordano (which we don't need nor want) is larger than that of Allen. So you cannot talk of a cap dump here.

And if you don't want Savard, a stay at home D with larger playoff experience than most Leafs will have ever have, it's perfectly ok. But saying that he's a cap dump just shows you don't really know much about players' value. I am not saying he is worth a first, and I am not saying that Monahan, a good 3C on a bargain deal, is individually worth a first to the Leafs. But Savard and Monahan together at the trade deadline, to an actual contender, they're definitely worth a first.

Now, given how clever you are, I am sure you know that the odds of a first-round draft pick **making** the NHL are roughly 75%, and a second round, roughly 35%. Jordan Harris IS a 22-yo NHL defenseman with top-4 potential. So if you have one of those that you'd trade for a second-rounder, good for you. I wouldn't trade him for less than a first-rounder.

We can disagree. But please either do you homework, talk about comparable trades and actual analyses, or just shut up. Calling people "homer" as if it were the cleverest insult of the century... not very interesting.
Dec. 12, 2023 at 8:21 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Could you please stop just throwing "homer" here and "homer" there and try substantiating what you have to say? Allen is better than Samsonov and his cap + that of Giordano (which we don't need nor want) is larger than that of Allen. So you cannot talk of a cap dump here.

And if you don't want Savard, a stay at home D with larger playoff experience than most Leafs will have ever have, it's perfectly ok. But saying that he's a cap dump just shows you don't really know much about players' value. I am not saying he is worth a first, and I am not saying that Monahan, a good 3C on a bargain deal, is individually worth a first to the Leafs. But Savard and Monahan together at the trade deadline, to an actual contender, they're definitely worth a first.

Now, given how clever you are, I am sure you know that the odds of a first-round draft pick **making** the NHL are roughly 75%, and a second round, roughly 35%. Jordan Harris IS a 22-yo NHL defenseman with top-4 potential. So if you have one of those that you'd trade for a second-rounder, good for you. I wouldn't trade him for less than a first-rounder.

We can disagree. But please either do you homework, talk about comparable trades and actual analyses, or just shut up. Calling people "homer" as if it were the cleverest insult of the century... not very interesting.

Existing on the bottom pair of a horrific rebuilding team doesn't give you the value of a 1st rounder.

Nikita Ohoktiuk is 6 months younger than harris, playing 18 minutes a night. Is he also worth a 1st?
Dec. 12, 2023 at 8:23 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

Savard and Allen cost 7.5 million dollars combined and aren't particularly good. I'll be generous and go net 0 value on them for Samsonov swap

For a contender, Giordano has more value than Harris.

Monahan has been horrific 5v5 and the only thing keeping his stats respectable is the fact that the habs give him 4 minutes a night on the power play.
Rhea and penguinswin liked this.
Dec. 12, 2023 at 9:48 p.m.

If you don't want to be called out for posting homer trades then stop posting homer trades. I'm not going to respond to every BS rationalization from homers trying to justify why cap dumps are actually valuable players, low end prospects are top prospects or why overpaid washed up vets are worth anything at all.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 12:41 a.m.
mokumboi
FYI: conditional re-signing picks are no longer allowed.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 3:33 a.m.
Canucks sorta homer

You're joking right? Buddy this isn't NHL 24. Turn off your xbox bro.

Allen is not as good as you claim he is, I'd take Sammy over Allen 9 times out of 10. Savard is not a first rounder He ticks the big RHD box yes, but other than that, he's a middle pairing guy at best. Let me put this in perspective. I'd rather have Myers than him on my roster right now. And Myers is worth almost nothing. You don't pay a bottom pairing guy much more than 2.5m+ and he's got 3.5 for 2 more years. Monahan is probably the most valued asset not named Harris or 2025 first round pick (MTL). But Monahan + Allen + Savard + Harris isn't worth a first combined.

Insulting others because you are getting called out for hilariously over valuing your teams assets, and when called out you lash out, is kinda sad buddy.

Let me put it clear for you.

Allen probably fetches at best a 6th round pick, likely a cap dump instead.
Savard probably only would return a 6th rounder to late 5th round pick (AT BEST). Look at Bortuzzo, a slighty worse version of the same player, fetched a 7th.
Monahan being the only one worth anything of note, I can see him fetching a 3rd.

Sorry but those 3 there aren't worth a first.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 7:15 a.m.
If you don't want to be called out for posting homer trades then stop posting homer trades. I'm not going to respond to every BS rationalization from homers trying to justify why cap dumps are actually valuable players, low end prospects are top prospects or why overpaid washed up vets are worth anything at all.

I didn't post the trade. I just said that it made no freaking sense for a rebuilding team to **rent** Nylander. If that's too much for you to comprehend, no my bad.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 7:16 a.m.
You're joking right? Buddy this isn't NHL 24. Turn off your xbox bro.

Allen is not as good as you claim he is, I'd take Sammy over Allen 9 times out of 10. Savard is not a first rounder He ticks the big RHD box yes, but other than that, he's a middle pairing guy at best. Let me put this in perspective. I'd rather have Myers than him on my roster right now. And Myers is worth almost nothing. You don't pay a bottom pairing guy much more than 2.5m+ and he's got 3.5 for 2 more years. Monahan is probably the most valued asset not named Harris or 2025 first round pick (MTL). But Monahan + Allen + Savard + Harris isn't worth a first combined.

Insulting others because you are getting called out for hilariously over valuing your teams assets, and when called out you lash out, is kinda sad buddy.

Let me put it clear for you.

Allen probably fetches at best a 6th round pick, likely a cap dump instead.
Savard probably only would return a 6th rounder to late 5th round pick (AT BEST). Look at Bortuzzo, a slighty worse version of the same player, fetched a 7th.
Monahan being the only one worth anything of note, I can see him fetching a 3rd.

Sorry but those 3 there aren't worth a first.

When did I insult anyone? I just told him to back up what he has to say.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 8:56 a.m.

YES MONAHAN is worth a 1st, and more. wit a minute and youll see (seriously, you think a top 6 center rental at 2mil is worth a 3rd? this isnt the ahl kid)

no, savard isnt a cap dump. dmen his age with a cup ring are never 'cap dumps' 'look at.. this guy and this guy'
shut it.
look at chiarot! how does that guy get 1st, 4th, ++

those make beleafs are tainited with the *stench of eternal first round exists*
willy Ny is worth 0. he will sign somewhere for free when he LEAFS as ufa.

ps: watch a couple more years of hockey. you may get it someday!
Habsby and Dadoudelidou liked this.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 9:28 a.m.
Quoting: my_name_is_Fil
YES MONAHAN is worth a 1st, and more. wit a minute and youll see (seriously, you think a top 6 center rental at 2mil is worth a 3rd? this isnt the ahl kid)

no, savard isnt a cap dump. dmen his age with a cup ring are never 'cap dumps' 'look at.. this guy and this guy'
shut it.
look at chiarot! how does that guy get 1st, 4th, ++

those make beleafs are tainited with the *stench of eternal first round exists*
willy Ny is worth 0. he will sign somewhere for free when he LEAFS as ufa.

ps: watch a couple more years of hockey. you may get it someday!

No Monny isn't worth a 1st.
yes savard is a cap dump. A few years ago he was pretty good but not now he isn't.
Chiarot was just coming off a Cup finals run where he was a big reason why his team went so far.

What's all this about the Leafs? Do you have -me- confused with a Leafs fan? That's too funny!
Dec. 13, 2023 at 9:39 a.m.
Nhlfan1
Edited Dec. 13, 2023 at 10:12 a.m.
The only cap dump is Giordano. Slowest def in the league.
Leafs lack of defensive defensemen. Savard has proven to be a reliable defender. Harris already better defensively than Klingberg. Samsonov is 0.884 this season...
Allen>Samsonov
Harris or Savard>Giordano (he's young and NHL ready)
Then you get 1st, 2nd, Monahan and Savard or Harris for Nylander, which he would not resign with Toronto anyway.
I don't think a team would be ready to give a 1st for Monahan or Savard, but both together for the playoffs...clearly teams would say yes.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 9:40 a.m.
No Monny isn't worth a 1st.
yes savard is a cap dump. A few years ago he was pretty good but not now he isn't.
Chiarot was just coming off a Cup finals run where he was a big reason why his team went so far.

What's all this about the Leafs? Do you have -me- confused with a Leafs fan? That's too funny!

i guess time will tell.

ill see you when monahan gets traded for A LOT MROE THAN YOU THINK.

expect me.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
Edited Dec. 13, 2023 at 12:52 p.m.

And you spoke like a true Habs hater.

The first is a top 10 again this year + at deadline Monahan would be trade for an first round pick for sure. Savard is around two second round value if Habs retain.

So value combined is pretty much that 3 first round.

If you really think that Savard is an cap dump go look what Tampa Bay player have think of him when to won the cup Stanley. He may not be an superstar but he's one of the good elements to have on an competitive roster.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 12:57 p.m.
For this trade I don't see why would Montreal want to trade asset aways for an player they could try to talk with this summer.

The most value would be to trade vets for asset them when summer come talk with free agent to add but even them Gorton have already say that he's not very interested into free agent market as there always overpayment to get an player so maybe there won't have any action this way.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 1:40 p.m.
Or Mtl wait for the free agent and sign Nylander without loosing anything
Dadoudelidou liked this.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 2:40 p.m.
Canucks sorta homer
i guess time will tell.

ill see you when monahan gets traded for A LOT MROE THAN YOU THINK.

expect me.

The big reason many assume he was never moved last year, when he was playing better than he is right now, was because the Habs ask was too high. And the ask was a freaken second or a B grade prospect dude. Seriously check yourself, you are so disgustingly over valuing your teams assets. That bunch of garbage above is BARELY a first and a second. And funny there is a first round pick in there already...

Honestly this whole thread has made me really dislike habs fans... You lot are adding a hyper inflated value to your players for reasons that DO NOT APPLY to them.

A league average 3C on a contender is not worth a 1st rounder, and that's what Monahan is. He's a 3rd at best.
Savard is only got being a big RHD with a bit of experience going for him. But he's looked bad in Montreal. He's a late pick or a cap dump.
Allen is on the wrong side of 33, and posting subpar numbers.
The 3 of these guys are not worth a first rounder combined, let alone you lot claim they are worth TWO, 2, II flippin 1st rounders combined.

Seriously here, the only one on the planet claiming these guys are prime assets, are you daft habs fans. Check yourself. You're making you all look like monkeys.
MoxNix liked this.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
The big reason many assume he was never moved last year, when he was playing better than he is right now, was because the Habs ask was too high. And the ask was a freaken second or a B grade prospect dude. Seriously check yourself, you are so disgustingly over valuing your teams assets. That bunch of garbage above is BARELY a first and a second. And funny there is a first round pick in there already...

Honestly this whole thread has made me really dislike habs fans... You lot are adding a hyper inflated value to your players for reasons that DO NOT APPLY to them.

A league average 3C on a contender is not worth a 1st rounder, and that's what Monahan is. He's a 3rd at best.
Savard is only got being a big RHD with a bit of experience going for him. But he's looked bad in Montreal. He's a late pick or a cap dump.
Allen is on the wrong side of 33, and posting subpar numbers.
The 3 of these guys are not worth a first rounder combined, let alone you lot claim they are worth TWO, 2, II flippin 1st rounders combined.

Seriously here, the only one on the planet claiming these guys are prime assets, are you daft habs fans. Check yourself. You're making you all look like monkeys.

you sweet summer child

monahan wasnt traded last year...becasue.... semin drumroll..... he was injured

i dont put much value in whatever you think. and therfore, well have to agree to dissagree.
and wait till it happens.

then well chat here about it.

see you in.. a few weeks? max
Dec. 13, 2023 at 4:09 p.m.
Canucks sorta homer
you sweet summer child

monahan wasnt traded last year...becasue.... semin drumroll..... he was injured

i dont put much value in whatever you think. and therfore, well have to agree to dissagree.
and wait till it happens.

then well chat here about it.

see you in.. a few weeks? max

Before the injury there was major talks, and even while he was injured teams still asked. But the ask was a 2nd+ Sorry but Mony isn't a second+

Ofc you wont put value in a proper opinion, because it doesn't cater to your HABS ASSETS BEST MONAHAN WORTH FIRST
ALLEN IS EASY 3RD
Savard PRIME ASSET 2 seconds EASY

Take your homer blinders off.

I am a homer, but even I have my limits lmfao
Dec. 13, 2023 at 4:12 p.m.
Before the injury there was major talks, and even while he was injured teams still asked. But the ask was a 2nd+ Sorry but Mony isn't a second+

Ofc you wont put value in a proper opinion, because it doesn't cater to your HABS ASSETS BEST MONAHAN WORTH FIRST
ALLEN IS EASY 3RD

cool aneurysm bro

see you in a few. with a first+ in tow
Dec. 13, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
Canucks sorta homer
cool aneurysm bro

see you in a few. with a first+ in tow

lmao sure you believe that
Dec. 13, 2023 at 6:44 p.m.
Edited Dec. 13, 2023 at 7:04 p.m.

ALLEN IS EASY 3RD

17 pts in 25 game for 0.68% with 55.1% faceoff win ratio
16 pts in 28 game for 0.57 % with 57.1% faceoff win ratio

This is Monahan stats for both season play with Montreal.
As term of faceoff capacity Monahan is #14 on the list ( https://hockeyeloratings.com/players/faceoffratings ) funny enough people say Dvorak is an bad player yet he's #8 on this same list for best faceoff stats for this season. You could even argue that Montreal have 3 of there center in the top 15 best faceoff in the defensive zone. ( #7 Monahan, #10 Suzuki and #12 Dvorak. )

You have say that is 5vs5 stats is not good and I would agree with you on this but at same time how can you expect alot of points coming on 5vs5 time when he play with Pearson, Gallagher or Anderson which all of them look for offense as they have lost them somewhere. Of course Monahan produce more on Power play as he play with better player on this minutes. You could argue them point of Monahan playing second center with Montreal because they don't have some else yet he still prove that he's able to do the job at this spot. It's more real when you watch what Suzuki was able to do last season when Monahan was the second center and after when mony got injured what happen.

If it was not for Dach injured in the second game of the year, Monahan would have play with Suzuki and Caufield which would have show more points for all involved. But as Dach got injured and Dvorak was still recovering he was force to stay as second center with less then desirable winger.

Add in this the fact that he's pay 2m which is not alot ad could interest alot of competitive team to add him for playoff. At deadline there around 60% of the season that have gone which mean -60% of the 2m Monahan is pay which leave him with an cap around 800k and that is a real value.

So the question for you what is the value of an center able to:

Produce between 0.58% to 0.68%, have an average faceoff of 57% (top 15 league wise) that can play PK , PP and on 5vs5 on the second or third line which is pay 800k. And bring the intangible that he bring as vets.

Also add the fact that on deadline there may be more then one team who want him which mean action house and team try to overpay to get what they wanted.

But this is only on the condition that he stay healthy, otherwise I would say that he's value nothing because of injury history. I would also warry to even offer him another contract except of this on one or two year basis.
Dadoudelidou and Habsby liked this.
Dec. 13, 2023 at 7:40 p.m.
Jmaxx
Didn't Calgary pay a first to get rid of Monahan like a year ago . Don't get me wrong I like the player but realistically he's a third line center on a competing team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll