SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Feb. 1 at 11:55 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I guess that's subjective. Most teams don't have the cap space to take on players for multiple years which is why UFA's are the ones dealt for ransoms, and guys with term aren't usually dealt. Monahan will absolutely get a 1st (or equal to one) and Henrique likely won't.

It's not, the 3 biggest hauls teams got at the TDL last year were: Chychrun (Term), McCabe and Lafferty (Term) and Horvat (signed an extension immediately after, term)

Monahan isn't getting a 1st, stop pretending like he is, not enough teams are interest in a middle 6 (3rd line most likely, expect for COL) centre with injury history and is a pending UFA who gets the majority of his point via the PP
Feb. 1 at 11:56 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Leafsfan98
It's not, the 3 biggest hauls teams got at the TDL last year were: Chychrun (Term), McCabe and Lafferty (Term) and Horvat (signed an extension immediately after, term)

Monahan isn't getting a 1st, stop pretending like he is, not enough teams are interest in a middle 6 (3rd line most likely, expect for COL) centre with injury history and is a pending UFA who gets the majority of his point via the PP

Well we shall see, unless KH gets desperate and wants to dump him (makes no sense) then he will get a 1st. History shows that we will.
Feb. 1 at 12:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 1 at 1:52 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
We are on day #54 of Jesse Puljujarvi's player try-out with Pittsburgh....

Oh yea hes still there

How he not on 775k yet lul
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Feb. 1 at 12:56 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I’d suggest Monahan is going to get a large return.

Lars eller last year, 4 years older, much worse stats, returned a 2nd.

Arguably orielly returned a first plus. Granted that deal had accairi and some other picks/prospects. Orielly was having an awful season in stl.

There’s usually just 2-3 centers available.

The price is simply how bad they’re needed. Monahan at 29 and his current performance puts him up the list. I’d ask for stastny value - 1st and b tier prospect.

ROR was better than Monahan is... Based on the Selke defence alone

Eller has better production 5v5 last year
CantStopWontStop and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 1 at 12:57 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Well we shall see, unless KH gets desperate and wants to dump him (makes no sense) then he will get a 1st. History shows that we will.

History says otherwise
Feb. 1 at 1:10 p.m.
WentWughes
History says otherwise

Scott Laughton actually has interest and the Flyers are asking for a 1st round pick in return. Monahan is easily getting a 1st.
Feb. 1 at 1:14 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
History says otherwise

History has shown time and time again rentals can and will get 1sts even when they arguably shouldn't, whether it's Ben Chiarot, Nick Foligno, David Savard, etc. History also shows rental centers (especially when there aren't many on the market), return 1sts, Kevin Hayes did, Paul Stastny did, Martin Hanzal did, Antoine Vermette did, etc
KSIxSKULLS and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 1 at 1:43 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Scott Laughton actually has interest and the Flyers are asking for a 1st round pick in return. Monahan is easily getting a 1st.

Just like Joel Edmunson?

I could name countless under 1st round guys that had interest

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
History has shown time and time again rentals can and will get 1sts even when they arguably shouldn't, whether it's Ben Chiarot, Nick Foligno, David Savard, etc. History also shows rental centers (especially when there aren't many on the market), return 1sts, Kevin Hayes did, Paul Stastny did, Martin Hanzal did, Antoine Vermette did, etc

For every Nick Foligno trade, there are Domi, Namestikov, Bonino, Bjugstad, Granlund, Blueger, etc. who didn't go for 1st+
Feb. 1 at 1:45 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

Especially this year when the rental market is pretty much dead. Especially with Lindholm already gone. You have Henrique, Monahan and that's pretty much it. Monahan is better at faceoffs, and Henrique isn't even playing center right now. Monahan is best center available.
ricochetii liked this.
Feb. 1 at 1:47 p.m.
WentWughes
Just like Joel Edmunson?

I could name countless under 1st round guys that had interest

For every Nick Foligno trade, there are Domi, Namestikov, Bonino, Bjugstad, Granlund, Blueger, etc. who didn't go for 1st+

Joel Edmundson had a major injury and was traded before the season even started. That isn't trade deadline....
Feb. 1 at 1:47 p.m.
WentWughes
For every Nick Foligno trade, there are Domi, Namestikov, Bonino, Bjugstad, Granlund, Blueger, etc. who didn't go for 1st+[/quote]

It's almost like Max Domi's GM is a moron and is one of the worst GM's in the league.
Feb. 1 at 1:48 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Joel Edmundson had a major injury and was traded before the season even started. That isn't trade deadline....

He wasn't supposedly garnering interest from a couple team (Like Monahan) at TDL... But didn't go for the 1st+ MTL fans thought
Feb. 1 at 1:48 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

It's almost like Max Domi's GM is a moron and is one of the worst GM's in the league.[/quote]

GM?
Feb. 1 at 1:54 p.m.
Go Habs Go

It's understood (speculated) that Hughes has a handshake agreement with Monahan to move him to a contender at the deadline.
Desperation would have nothing to do with it, but he may take less than the highest bid in order to send Monahan to a preferred destination.
Hughes will do right by the player in this case as long as a minimum standard is met in the return.

I believe the price set for Monahan is currently set at a 1st round pick. The variance will be in conditions, additions, or pieces sent back to soften the value if necessary.

For example, if 3 teams field offers involving a 1st:
1. Unconditional 1st
2. 1st with conditions + a 4th
3. Unconditional 1st and Montreal sends back a 4th

Doesn't necessarily mean #1 will get Monahan.
They may take offer #3 if it's preferable to the player, even though the value is lower.
If #2 is Monahan's preference of the three, Hughes may ask them to remove the conditions and the 4th to match either of the other offers, or at least bring their offer closer in order to justify sending Monahan to that team instead.
These are just examples. There might be different offers involving a strong prospect/younger player and/or lower picks that are worthy of consideration.
If Hughes requires a 1st round pick to be involved, it may eliminate some suitors, but there's other ways to receive a 1st round pick without necessarily receiving full 1st round pick value.
He'll get as close as he can while sending the player to a good destination. (Pittsburgh isn't likely to pursue, but if they did offer a 1st, it may get turned down due to their position in the standings.)
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Feb. 1 at 2:10 p.m.
I think Monahan could get a 1st.
I would not say it is a lock....but he could.

Did some Monahan Trade Comps here
Saskleaf and CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 1 at 2:34 p.m.
WentWughes
He wasn't supposedly garnering interest from a couple team (Like Monahan) at TDL... But didn't go for the 1st+ MTL fans thought

He was indeed garnering interest, but got hurt and therefore teams did not have interest.
Feb. 1 at 2:34 p.m.
WentWughes
It's almost like Max Domi's GM is a moron and is one of the worst GM's in the league.

GM?[/quote]

General Manager. Kyle Davidson. He's clueless.
Feb. 1 at 3:08 p.m.
The more I think about it the more I love it:

Canucks top the standings

They make the first deal and they take the top guy off the available players list.

This is how you do it.
Feb. 1 at 3:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Got a feeling Hanifin gonna get extended

So CGY just gonna move Tanev

But man they have been odd. Why not utilize the ret spots to upgrade on TDL adds probs could have got a 3rd or something more if they ret on Lindholm
Feb. 1 at 3:36 p.m.
Bedard23

It's almost like Max Domi's GM is a moron and is one of the worst GM's in the league.[/quote]

Respect Kyle Davidson
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 1 at 3:49 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: IconicHawk

Respect Kyle Davidson[/quote]

He'll earn my respect when he does something to deserve it. He's done nothing but let valuable assets leave for nothing and overpay veterans to multi year deals. Dude's lucky he won the draft lottery, that's all I can say.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 1 at 4:12 p.m.
Should the Wild go in a "blow it up" direction?

I honestly think they kind of should. When the offseason comes, they should move Spurgeon (can't do it know, he's LTIR until season's end), move JEE and Kaprizov. They won't win a thing with this core.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 1 at 4:13 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Got a feeling Hanifin gonna get extended

So CGY just gonna move Tanev

But man they have been odd. Why not utilize the ret spots to upgrade on TDL adds probs could have got a 3rd or something more if they ret on Lindholm

It would be very dumb to extend Hanifin. They could get quite a decent haul for him IMO.
Feb. 1 at 4:13 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I think Monahan could get a 1st.
I would not say it is a lock....but he could.

Did some Monahan Trade Comps here

If I were the GM of a team interested in him, MTL would either have to add another minor player or like a 2024 4th rounder for me to move a first for a likely rental
Feb. 1 at 4:28 p.m.
Bedard23
Respect Kyle Davidson

He'll earn my respect when he does something to deserve it. He's done nothing but let valuable assets leave for nothing and overpay veterans to multi year deals. Dude's lucky he won the draft lottery, that's all I can say.

-Traded Debrincat for the pick that became Kevin Korshinski

-Traded Dach at the perfect time to land the Frank Nazar pick

-Traded for Jason Dickinson

-Managed to get 2 firsts out of Hagel (one of those firsts was Oliver Moore)

We’re trying to avoid the mistake we made last “rebuild” attempt, by not rushing it for no reason
capsfan2121 and Leafsfan98 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll