SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Feb. 10 at 10:04 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: IconicHawk
So what you ****s are telling me is you condone attempting to injure your opponent

If this is the community of biased assholes I’m apart of, I’m clearly in the wrong community

This is an extremely weird hill to die on. This isn't new in the sport of hockey, or even in the real world for that matter. You f*** around, you find out. Also weird to see a Blackhawks fan take the moral high ground and say they're in the "wrong community" despite everything that teams culture has enabled...
Feb. 10 at 10:06 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Not even remotely comparable, Grieg clearly disrespected the Leafs and he knew exactly what was coming to him. Scheifele running Evans after Evans did literally nothing was uncalled for. Grieg is a little b**** for that, have some class at the end of a game your team clearly won

Quoting: Leafsfan98
Yeah, bc you don't f****g do what Greig did...

It's a sign of disrespect...

Doesn’t mean you go over and intentionally cross check a guy in the face

If that happened to Matthews we all know how Leafs fans would be reacting. That should be a lengthy suspension for Rielly
IconicHawk, Hurricanes_WPG, Eissportclub and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 10 at 10:06 p.m.
So what you ****s are telling me is you condone attempting to injure your opponent

If this is the community of biased assholes I’m apart of, I’m clearly in the wrong community

Are you new to hockey? There is literally fighting allowed in this sport.

Like this is so far from out of the ordinary... Greig acted like a dipsh*t. Mo came over to give him the business and the stick got up a little high.
Feb. 10 at 10:07 p.m.
WentWughes
- Play is dead
- Game is over
- Interference

Should be at minimum 5 games. Rielly got his feelings hurt and felt embarrassed. Similar to Perron's hit, but less severe.
Bedard23
Quoting: mv21227

If that happened to Matthews we all know how Leafs fans would be reacting. That should be a lengthy suspension for Rielly

Thank you, but these little kids are too blinded by bias to realize that ****
mv21227 liked this.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: LeafsForLife
It's a moot point because the DoPeS are everything but consistent, however even if they were, it would just be a fine (similar to what Marchment did to McCabe the other night) or another example, in last year's playoffs: nothing at all (Bennett on Knies)

5-seconds on clock...headshot/CTE-radar alert
It's 2-games.
Best he just enjoy the popcorn and meet the new coach when back from the break...
Feb. 10 at 10:09 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
He sent the guy off on a stretcher of course he was gonna get suspended

Pinto was up and moving. Dops will look at how bad officiating was and probs fine him

As bad officiating leads to **** like this as refs can't to their jobs it seems

I don't care how unpopular this opinion is, but I think it's hard to deny at this point that the intimidation factor of 70s and 80s enforcers was much more effective than the refs and Bettman. In addition, enforcers gained respect and were held accountable for their actions, whereas Bettman's petty functionaries have neither.
Feb. 10 at 10:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quote:
didn’t have a record and the refs were pretty questionable in the Canucks-Wings game today and he still got 2 games

Considering Rielly’s was very clearly intentional he should get at least 2, probably more. But the DOPS is extremely inconsistent so who knows

Zadorov had close calls numerous times throughout his career though

Not comparing but often it seems physical Dman get this punishment which sucks as what we want no hits and ****

Rielly retaliated for Pinto being cheesy. With officiating and that probs a game but if Parros does his famous leafs tax might be more but that be him proving should not have job
Feb. 10 at 10:10 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Thank you, but these little kids are too blinded by bias to realize that ****

This being the Leafs literally has nothing to do with this. If any other team did what the Sens did, I would wholeheartedly expect the same outcome
Feb. 10 at 10:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 10 at 10:22 p.m.
I don't care how unpopular this opinion is, but I think it's hard to deny at this point that the intimidation factor of 70s and 80s enforcers was much more effective than the refs and Bettman. In addition, enforcers gained respect and were held accountable for their actions, whereas Bettman's petty functionaries have neither.

Bettman and Parros basically 2 guys who should be unemployed but Board and owners love em as they need scapegoat

It's the same for all sports
LeafsForLife liked this.
Feb. 10 at 10:12 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: McGruff
5-seconds on clock...headshot/CTE-radar alert
It's 2-games.
Best he just enjoy the popcorn and meet the new coach when back from the break...

If I remember correctly (I might be wrong, but I don't think so), my example on Bennett on Knies was very similar. Not only was it a headshot, it took Knies out for the rest of the season
Feb. 10 at 10:12 p.m.

Yes, we'd be pissed and wanting a suspension - I don't think anybody is saying Rielly shouldn't be suspended or that what he did was morally "right"

But hockey is a game where sh*t like this happens and I'm not going to sit on my high horse and pretend it didn't feel good to see the Leafs on the flip side of the coin.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Feb. 10 at 10:14 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Yes, we'd be pissed and wanting a suspension - I don't think anybody is saying Rielly shouldn't be suspended or that what he did was morally "right"

But hockey is a game where sh*t like this happens and I'm not going to sit on my high horse and pretend it didn't feel good to see the Leafs on the flip side of the coin.

Exactly. I fully expect Rielly to get suspended and I think it's fully deserved
Feb. 10 at 10:15 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Zad

Zadorov had close calls numerous times throughout his career though

Not comparing but often it seems physical Dman get this punishment

Rielly retaliated for Pinto being cheesy. With officiating and that probs a game but if Parros does his famous leafs tax might be more but that be him proving should not have job

An intentional cross check to the face is far worse than what Zadorov did. Rielly deserves a lengthy suspension. But with how inconsistent the DOPS is I wouldn’t be surprised if Rielly gets less than he deserves
Feb. 10 at 10:16 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Who gives a ****, that **** isn’t hard to forget unless you have dementia, point still stands

It does... It's for the following teams so they know not to mess with TO
Feb. 10 at 10:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
An intentional cross check to the face is far worse than what Zadorov did. Rielly deserves a lengthy suspension. But with how inconsistent the DOPS is I wouldn’t be surprised if Rielly gets less than he deserves

Also it's more of a punch as if he cross checked would have been more the middle then back of stick in the hand. As he does drop the middle before hitting. The second is a shove in the back. But if they think its that we see guys cross eachother up high and often it's 5k fine to 1-2 games. Just ask Marchment

After what Pinto did, SN panel talking about it, and officiating probs a game if at all
Feb. 10 at 10:18 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Those leafs players have the mental toughness of a gym bag

You don’t go over and attempt to injure players over a ****ing slapshot, that play didn’t have the slightest to do with hockey

Grieg got what was coming to him. This kind of response is exactly what the Leafs have been missing for years, especially in the playoffs. You're complaining now, but I guarantee that if Rielly had not done it, the narrative would be that the Leafs were too soft (again).
Feb. 10 at 10:19 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
If I remember correctly (I might be wrong, but I don't think so), my example on Bennett on Knies was very similar. Not only was it a headshot, it took Knies out for the rest of the season

Maple Leafs' Auston Matthews suspended two games for cross-checking Sabres' Rasmus Dahlin
The check occurred during the third period of Sunday's Heritage Classic

By Chris Bengel
Mar 14, 2022 at 3:23 pm ET
Feb. 10 at 10:21 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

1rst, Matthews wouldn't do it in the 1rst place

2nd, there have been so many questionable hits on Matthews with no reactions from Leafs fans

3rd, yeah, you don't disrespect the opponent at the end of the game
Feb. 10 at 10:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Maple Leafs' Auston Matthews suspended two games for cross-checking Sabres' Rasmus Dahlin

By Chris Bengel

That was direct to the mouth and everyone agreed was to much considering similar plays got fined and or 1 game suspension.

If you rewatch it Rielly drops the middle of his stick and more so punches Greig with the first hit holding the back part

Matthews was a crosscheck rielly more sk a punch holding the stick. Both will probs get more than they should as Parros be hard for them. Anyone blue and white when he wakes up
Leafsfan98 liked this.

By Chris Bengel

And at the time the two games for Matthews was severe. So many comparable plays were just fines...

Remember the Buchnevich crosscheck to Mantha's(?) face in the fallout of the Tom Wilson/Panarin debacle? 1 game.

3 should be the max here based on history
Go Habs Go
Edited Feb. 10 at 10:51 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Not even remotely comparable, Grieg clearly disrespected the Leafs and he knew exactly what was coming to him. Scheifele running Evans after Evans did literally nothing was uncalled for. Grieg is a little b**** for that, have some class at the end of a game your team clearly won

I don't know what's up with Ottawa, maybe just immaturity, maybe because I only see them in division, maybe bias, but they always seem to be whining or gooning rather than winning.

Am I just not watching them enough, or is that how others are seeing them as well?
Lifelong Leafs Fan

By Chris Bengel

I remember that, and that's a fair point. It was actually one of the first things that came to mind. However, given my 2 examples, doesn't that mean there's an obvious double standard here? Here's the link to Bennett on Knies: https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1654270011156963328?ref_url=
Feb. 10 at 10:28 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
I remember that, and that's a fair point. It was actually one of the first things that came to mind. However, given my 2 examples, doesn't that mean there's an obvious double standard here?

Can't go back however...
I'm looking at Monday this week.
And I see 2-games.
THAT's THE CALL in the here & now.

IF it was viewed as just "Scrub Player X on Beerleaguer Player Y" the 2-G suspension take would get 95% approval rating...
Feb. 10 at 10:29 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I remember that, and that's a fair point. It was actually one of the first things that came to mind. However, given my 2 examples, doesn't that mean there's an obvious double standard here? Here's the link to Bennett on Knies: https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1654270011156963328?ref_url=

There always has been...

Bunting on Cernak, Spezza on Pionk, even the Matthews on Dahlin was considered severe...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll