SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #3: After Further Review...

Jan. 29 at 7:13 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Anyone else miss Nhl on Nbc

Caps vs Pens Wednesday Night Hockey

bring me back man
Jan. 29 at 7:32 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
"It's not that people don't want to play in Cbus, players don't want to play in Cbus for this mgmt group."

I guess frank Seravilli said this. Twitter said he did.

I wonder if he’s referring to jarmo, to the coaching, to the ownership, or what combo of that.

I’ve always thought jarmo was legit.

And decided to revisit his trade history here, for funsies.

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/staff/jarmo-kekalainen

There are sooo many big deals I forgot about. So many deals…I feel this is too many deals maybe? This seems like a lot when I go look at other gms. There’s the current stuff and it keeps going Duschene, Saad, Panarin, Seth jones it just never ends. The dude needs to have a chill season every once in awhile.

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Wouldn’t surprise me if part of it is coaching, considering how Torts is a known hard coach, then you had Larsen, Babcock and Vincent all of them not seeming to work (or not lasting Babcock should’ve never had a job to begin with). I think Jarmo is a good GM but probably past his expiration date in Cbus

It was on his recent podcast episode and he said ..."this management and coaching group" to imply Jarmo and the coaching the staff, not either/or.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Jan. 29 at 8:18 p.m.
Go Habs Go
"It's not that people don't want to play in Cbus, players don't want to play in Cbus for this mgmt group."

I guess frank Seravilli said this. Twitter said he did.

I wonder if he’s referring to jarmo, to the coaching, to the ownership, or what combo of that.

I’ve always thought jarmo was legit.

And decided to revisit his trade history here, for funsies.

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/staff/jarmo-kekalainen

There are sooo many big deals I forgot about. So many deals…I feel this is too many deals maybe? This seems like a lot when I go look at other gms. There’s the current stuff and it keeps going Duschene, Saad, Panarin, Seth jones it just never ends. The dude needs to have a chill season every once in awhile.

It might be that the management is more focused on the business than the culture aspects.
When players feel like assets and decisions are focused on maximizing value, your culture is bound to suffer.
Players will be more focused on what's best for them than buying into the team.

JK has never signed an 8 year contract for a player.
Jenner and Merzlikins are the only current players that were drafted by Columbus and given a contract once they reached UFA status.
Players are frequently disgruntled and shipped out for a variety of reasons.
Some players may want to stay or can at least be convinced, but they are traded before the team loses control.

It doesn't help that the team has had limited success, but good asset management and success are normally different paths.
CantStopWontStop and McGruff liked this.
Jan. 29 at 8:22 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Jenner and Merzlikins are the only current players that were drafted by Columbus and given a contract once they reached UFA status.

stunning facts considering he's GM of Columbus since 11 years
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 29 at 9:28 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
It might be that the management is more focused on the business than the culture aspects.
When players feel like assets and decisions are focused on maximizing value, your culture is bound to suffer.
Players will be more focused on what's best for them than buying into the team.

Players are frequently disgruntled and shipped out for a variety of reasons.
Some players may want to stay or can at least be convinced, but they are traded before the team loses control.

It doesn't help that the team has had limited success, but good asset management and success are normally different paths.

Good points ^ ^
IMO & under the 50,000ft view it IS JK...
Jan. 29 at 9:42 p.m.
What the heck is up with the Kings lately?
Jan. 29 at 10:00 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts
Quoting: NHLfan10506

I’m still processing the fact that they lost to the sharks not long ago.
Jan. 29 at 10:11 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Doughty said it was people more concerned with personal stats than team contributions (paraphrasing).
Maybe having a dozen pending RFA/UFAs isn't great planning.
Too much insecurity across the roster?
Jan. 29 at 10:54 p.m.
Doughty said it was people more concerned with personal stats than team contributions (paraphrasing).

Often, that is a good thing (see Florida Panthers)
Jan. 29 at 11:08 p.m.
So it appears that three teams may not have All-Star representation

CHI (Bedard)
NJD (Hughes)
VGK (Eichel)
zk97 liked this.
Jan. 29 at 11:09 p.m.
Go Habs Go

It can be but LA is mostly RFAs trying to find and secure their place. Florida's players are further along and have a hope of a cup before some big changes.
Jan. 29 at 11:23 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG

This is about TEAM and on-ice play/selfishness, allegedly.
DD as a grizzled VET, should keep this kind of play-matter locked in the ROOM and deal with it face-to-face 110%! And not be the 'guy' driving a bus over teammates in the media [period].
NHLfan10506, HockeyScotty, ricochetii and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 29 at 11:44 p.m.
Quoting: McGruff
DD as a grizzled VET, should keep this kind of play-matter locked in the ROOM and deal with it face-to-face 110%! And not be the 'guy' driving a bus over teammates in the media [period].

I think that it was face-to-face a long time ago and it wasn't getting corrected so it went public.

The Kings fanbase is in love with Clarke and Spence and some of their young players and it's them and guys like PLD and Fiala that were being called out because they started counting their own stats instead of focusing on cleaning up the details to play good winning hockey when their puck luck ran out.

The team defense started slipping and then the goaltending couldn't bail them out anymore and then it just snowballed from there
Jan. 29 at 11:47 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Definitely, but it's something that offers an insight we may not normally have when it does leak out.
Coaches will publicly call out issues once they have failed to get their point across internally.
Not Doughty's place to do it. Guys don't mind holding each other accountable, but if you embarass your teammates it's more likely to cause friction than solve the problem.
McGruff liked this.
Jan. 29 at 11:52 p.m.
Definitely, but it's something that offers an insight we may not normally have when it does leak out.
Coaches will publicly call out issues once they have failed to get their point across internally.
Not Doughty's place to do it. Guys don't mind holding each other accountable, but if you embarass your teammates it's more likely to cause friction than solve the problem.

I think Doughty was doing it on purpose because Todd MacLellan is under intense scrutiny
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 29 at 11:56 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I think that it was face-to-face a long time ago and it wasn't getting corrected so it went public.

The Kings fanbase is in love with Clarke and Spence and some of their young players and it's them and guys like PLD and Fiala that were being called out because they started counting their own stats instead of focusing on cleaning up the details to play good winning hockey when their puck luck ran out.

The team defense started slipping and then the goaltending couldn't bail them out anymore and then it just snowballed from there

Thanks for the info...
Where this bites LA is as follows: If I'm Vegas etc. - next game against LA, we dump every puck available into DD's corner and go pound the be-#$%&% out of him each time/turnover etc.. The guys he "called out" will be smirking/'told-u-so types' (not great of course) but 'Vegas' will be the victors and broke their teams-will...

Tee time in the morning...
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 30 at 12:07 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I think Doughty was doing it on purpose because Todd MacLellan is under intense scrutiny

The trap is nobody's favorite way to play. It's up to the coach to keep the players motivated and on task.
The older players with the experience that have had success and are getting paid, are more disciplined and easier to manage.
Selling it to younger players can be difficult. It's up to the coaching staff and the vets to get everyone to buy in to the system.
That's a delicate balance of carrot and stick. They may just be leaning too hard on some players who aren't mentally prepared.
I doubt calling them out will have the intended effect. (Doesn't seem to be so far.)
Jan. 30 at 12:38 a.m.
The trap is nobody's favorite way to play. It's up to the coach to keep the players motivated and on task.
The older players with the experience that have had success and are getting paid, are more disciplined and easier to manage.
Selling it to younger players can be difficult. It's up to the coaching staff and the vets to get everyone to buy in to the system.
That's a delicate balance of carrot and stick. They may just be leaning too hard on some players who aren't mentally prepared.
I doubt calling them out will have the intended effect. (Doesn't seem to be so far.)

I hope not, one less contender in the West! cool
Jan. 30 at 3:15 p.m.
WentWughes
Now that the 5 are confirmed, No team was interested in Comtois, that's very surprising.
zk97 liked this.
Jan. 30 at 3:17 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Now that the 5 are confirmed, No team was interested in Comtois, that's very surprising.

Vegas did give Comtois a tryout at the star of training camp, I guess he didn't impress anyone in that tryout
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jan. 30 at 3:18 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Vegas did give Comtois a tryout at the star of training camp, I guess he didn't impress anyone in that tryout

Near PPG in the AHL, Clearly he's better than the AHL. Surprised a team like Toronto wouldn't give him a minimum deal contract. He'd be perfect there.
Jan. 30 at 3:33 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Has it been known to be 5 for the whole time? I can’t recall when that number started.

I wonder if he were thought of as possibly involved.
Jan. 30 at 3:34 p.m.
WentWughes
Has it been known to be 5 for the whole time? I can’t recall when that number started.

I think it was 5 for a long time.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Jan. 30 at 3:36 p.m.

The initial number was 8 people (most but not all 2018 WJC players which means there could be more names in the case however, those names are likely not recognizable names)
CantStopWontStop and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 30 at 4:27 p.m.

He didn't name anybody, and it clearly has been discussed behind closed doors first.

I don't have any problem with it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll