Forums/Armchair-GM

3 Way Trade for Zegras

Created by: Shanesaw9
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 14, 2024
Published: Jan. 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The net trade value is essentially Matheson + CGY 2025 1st round pick for Zegras. Anaheim has no need for Matheson but Edmonton could use an upgrade on Kulak, so maybe MTL could potenially leverage Matheson into assets that Anaheim might be interested in?

If I'm off on the cost to dump Campbell add it into the return for Matheson which is flipped for Zegras. I'm also assuming Anaheim is ok with taking on Campbell's contract.

Could something like this work, even if the value is off is there a decent enough framework?

Thought process for MTL is they need a top 6 forward. I think Zegras' playmaking could compliment Caufield and he is another C option in case Dach has trouble with his injury recovery. I believe Guhle can replace Matheson and Xhekaj can be called up to play in the top 4. Barron, Guhle, and Xhekaj would see increased powerplay time until Hutson is ready.
Trades
MTL
  1. Campbell, Jack
  2. Holloway, Dylan
  3. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
ANA
  1. Campbell, Jack
  2. Holloway, Dylan
  3. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
  4. 2025 1st round pick (CGY)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$78,760,416$1,170,000$4,267,500$4,739,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 2
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 15 at 11:50 a.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
Take out campbell before ANA fans notice
Their Goalie Situation is stocked already with term, its a non starter for them
They'll riot. They wont even take Primeau without getting angry about not needing a goalie
OldNYIfan and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 15 at 11:50 a.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Why does Anaheim want Campbell? Why are we moving 1sts out the door? Zegras fits with Boston, NYR, or even Detroit but not Montreal.
OldNYIfan and Billy316 liked this.
Jan. 15 at 11:54 a.m.
The package you put together is just a hair more than the price to dump Campbell alone. You'd need to add another 2 1sts + young roster player if you want Zegras coming back
Jan. 15 at 11:55 a.m.
Habs 2010
Edited Jan. 15 at 12:21 p.m.
Quoting: HabsFan61
Why does Anaheim want Campbell? Why are we moving 1sts out the door? Zegras fits with Boston, NYR, or even Detroit but not Montreal.

Anaheim doesn't want Campbell. No one wants Campbell, but in this hypothetical 3-way trade it would be necessary to make the cap work for Edmonton. Edmonton would have to compensate MTL (and in turn ANA) for this, as I said in the description I'm not sure what that value is.

Why is Zegras a fit with BOS, DET, NYR but not MTL? MTL needs scoring more than any of those teams.

Quoting: DH28Hockey
The package you put together is just a hair more than the price to dump Campbell alone. You'd need to add another 2 1sts + young roster player if you want Zegras coming back

I disagree that it would take another 2 1sts... Holloway and 3 1sts to dump Campbell? Let's get real...

Regardless, if you read the description:

"If I'm off on the cost to dump Campbell add it into the return for Matheson which is flipped for Zegras."

Quoting: F50marco
There isn't a chance ANA does that. They'd rather just keep Zegras than add Campbell to get that package with him.

"If I'm off on the cost to dump Campbell add it into the return for Matheson which is flipped for Zegras."
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 15 at 11:55 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Kudos for the creativity. 3-Team trades are always hard to do. Personally, I think the deal dies at the EDM-MTL part as Matheson is not the type of defenseman the Oilers should target - they need a Tanev or DeMelo type more IMO.
Shanesaw9, OldNYIfan and Billy316 liked this.
Jan. 15 at 12:09 p.m.
Habs 2010
Quoting: SevenLeg
Kudos for the creativity. 3-Team trades are always hard to do. Personally, I think the deal dies at the EDM-MTL part as Matheson is not the type of defenseman the Oilers should target - they need a Tanev or DeMelo type more IMO.

Indeed they are, 2 way trades are hard enough as it is!

The logic is that with Ekholm, Nurse, Ceci, Desharnais the Oilers have enough Tanev Demelo types. Matheson gives the Oilers an elite skating PMD, a sure upgrade over Kulak. There aren't many teams in the league that truly "need" Matheson, but there are a few teams that will be aggressive when it comes to pushing for a cup - I could see EDM being one of those teams.
SevenLeg liked this.
Jan. 15 at 12:16 p.m.
There isn't a chance ANA does that. They'd rather just keep Zegras than add Campbell to get that package with him.
Billy316 and HabsFan61 liked this.
Jan. 15 at 12:23 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
TBH i think its smarter for MTL to sell at TDL
Re-visit Zegras at the Draft and trade a top 10 pick for him with another piece
There's Quality in the Draft and if someone like Eiserman is left on the board they'll jump to get him

MTL should stockpile assets
Move out Matheson to EDM in a deal for Campbell, Holloway and a 1st
Cap works out about the same after they send a Goalie to the AHL its 250k difference roughly
MTL gets what it needs and can Bury Campbell in the AHL to back up Dobes which is actually a good fit for the next season and a half.
Then we can buy him out after that

The added 1st makes it easier to give up a top 10 pick and another piece.
Plus MTL will have assets from moving Monahan among others.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Jan. 15 at 12:28 p.m.
So Anaheim is trading away Zegras for free?

At least we get proper compensation for eating Campbell’s contract
Jan. 15 at 12:30 p.m.
Habs 2010
Quoting: F50marco

The concept here for me is that Matheson + CGY 2025 1st Round Pick is pretty close to fair value for Zegras from MTL's perspective, the caviet being that Anaheim has no interest in Matheson.

So if MTL can flip Matheson for assets that Anaheim would be interested in then their could be a match. I feel if the return isn't enough to take Campbell for Zegras then it likely isn't for Matheson either.

If I'm off on Matheson + CGY 1st = Zegras then that's where I'm missing it, in which case I would stay clear of Zegras and explore other options.
Jan. 15 at 12:38 p.m.
Habs 2010
Quoting: Billy316
TBH i think its smarter for MTL to sell at TDL
Re-visit Zegras at the Draft and trade a top 10 pick for him with another piece
There's Quality in the Draft and if someone like Eiserman is left on the board they'll jump to get him

MTL should stockpile assets
Move out Matheson to EDM in a deal for Campbell, Holloway and a 1st
Cap works out about the same after they send a Goalie to the AHL its 250k difference roughly
MTL gets what it needs and can Bury Campbell in the AHL to back up Dobes which is actually a good fit for the next season and a half.
Then we can buy him out after that

The added 1st makes it easier to give up a top 10 pick and another piece.
Plus MTL will have assets from moving Monahan among others.

The difference in salary is good until you add in Zegras $5M, in addition to Campbell's. Right now the recent rumors have sparked interest in habs fans regarding Zegras because we could see immediate impact. It's fun to look at these types of trades but honestly MTL should just sell like you said and I would keep that top 10 pick, that players window should align better with MTL's window of contention once the defense is developed and Gallagher, Price, Anderson contracts are over.

I do think they should try to trade a D for a top 6 forward, Zegras is one option but there are others.
Jan. 15 at 1:06 p.m.
Future Norris guy
laugh Anaheim has zero interest in Jack Cambell so they pass.

It would take Holloway+1st just to unload on Campbell's contract, So sorry one 1st isn't getting you Trevor Zegras. Unless Hughes wants to unload on one of Slafkovsky or Reinbacher. Montreal doesn't have the pieces for Zegras. Anything they'd offer would easily be beat.
Jan. 15 at 1:09 p.m.
Quoting: Shanesaw9
The concept here for me is that Matheson + CGY 2025 1st Round Pick is pretty close to fair value for Zegras from MTL's perspective, the caviet being that Anaheim has no interest in Matheson.

So if MTL can flip Matheson for assets that Anaheim would be interested in then their could be a match. I feel if the return isn't enough to take Campbell for Zegras then it likely isn't for Matheson either.

If I'm off on Matheson + CGY 1st = Zegras then that's where I'm missing it, in which case I would stay clear of Zegras and explore other options.

Yeah I get it. IMHO I think you are underestimating the cost of dumping Campbell. Either way, ANA isn't moving Zegras if Campbell has to be involved. That is counterintuitive. They can get good assets for him without having to be bootstrapped by one of the worst contracts in the league.

Simply trade Matheson to a team that doesn't have to send back a Campbell type contract and then use those assets (Plus others if need be) to acquire a Zegras type player. That way everyone is happy.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Jan. 15 at 1:28 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
The difference in salary is good until you add in Zegras $5M, in addition to Campbell's. Right now the recent rumors have sparked interest in habs fans regarding Zegras because we could see immediate impact. It's fun to look at these types of trades but honestly MTL should just sell like you said and I would keep that top 10 pick, that players window should align better with MTL's window of contention once the defense is developed and Gallagher, Price, Anderson contracts are over.

I do think they should try to trade a D for a top 6 forward, Zegras is one option but there are others.

Thats cause you're counting TDL cap
Ton of it will be gone as will other contracts this year
After that there's no cap issues
I had 9m left over by letting kids play and Veterans walk or trading them
That was with Campbell buried
Jan. 15 at 1:33 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DH28Hockey

Which goes two ways. The Habs would be giving away Matheson for nothing with that gorilla math.

Oilers can easily buy out Campbell at 1.5M AAV the next two years without the bonuses to be paid in all in window. Campbell aint worth close to a 1st round pick plus A prospect to be dumped. Chicago takes worse contracts for 2nd round picks.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Jan. 15 at 1:40 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Anaheim doesn't want Campbell. No one wants Campbell, but in this hypothetical 3-way trade it would be necessary to make the cap work for Edmonton. Edmonton would have to compensate MTL (and in turn ANA) for this, as I said in the description I'm not sure what that value is.

Why is Zegras a fit with BOS, DET, NYR but not MTL? MTL needs scoring more than any of those teams.

I disagree that it would take another 2 1sts... Holloway and 3 1sts to dump Campbell? Let's get real...

Regardless, if you read the description:

He fits those teams because they are either cup contenders or further along in the rebuild like Detroit is. We are no where near ready to be sending 1st rounder out the door.
Jan. 15 at 2:27 p.m.
Habs 2010
He fits those teams because they are either cup contenders or further along in the rebuild like Detroit is. We are no where near ready to be sending 1st rounder out the door.

When asked today if the habs would be willing to trade draft picks for young players that could help the habs right now (like they did with Dach and Newhook) Hughes answered "there is no question".
Jan. 15 at 2:30 p.m.
Banned
When asked today if the habs would be willing to trade draft picks for young players that could help the habs right now (like they did with Dach and Newhook) Hughes answered "there is no question".

That would be a nightmare to trade for Zegras with his question marks health wise, performance wise and needing another deal in a few years as opposed to a free agent even they can sign without the question marks while using their large available cap space.
HabsFan61 liked this.
Jan. 15 at 2:34 p.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s

That doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.
Jan. 15 at 3:00 p.m.
Habs 2010
Quoting: Andy_Dick
That would be a nightmare to trade for Zegras with his question marks health wise, performance wise and needing another deal in a few years as opposed to a free agent even they can sign without the question marks while using their large available cap space.

That doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.

Respectfully, I disagree. Zegras reminds me of Nylander who just cost $11.5M for the leafs to sign (UFA status, at age 28).

You say the habs can just sign free agents but they never do, and the ones that have the potential you hope Zegras has are going to cost you because you will be bidding with the entire NHL compared to acquiring Zegras' rights now and signing him when he is still an RFA at 25 years old, likely before he even hits his prime.

I would give up Matheson and a 1st round pick (ranged 20 - 32) for Zegras in a heartbeat. The truth is not all of these 1st round picks are going to play for the habs, if you have the opportunity to acquire an elite talent like Zegras by spending some of these assets (that you have plenty of already) you do it, because in 3 years Matheson will probably be replaced by Hutson and the 2025 1st round pick may or may not even be an NHL player, while Zegras could be playing 1st line with Dach and Caufield.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll