Even if he did that's not a great return when we consider our position

We're in win now not get prospects and be patient

We got a 5 year window got 3 guys in their primes best not to waste
Jan. 19 at 3:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 19 at 4:02 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Woll needs to get back soon

He was having a rough stretches to lul. And with how defense is playing yea he may end up on ir again

As in that Ott game left him out to dry but he busted his ass to keep em in and got hurt

Goalies have been giving them a chance these games I'm more concerned for defensive plays in front and inability to score third periods
Jan. 19 at 4:03 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I mean to be fair every goalie be having issues with sharp angle this season lul

I think you've seen Matthews score a few from sharp angles and Jones giving up some the past week and a half and that equates to every goalie.

It goes back to comments on this forum with Sammy....all goalies are going to let a bad goal in every now and then. It can't be a rate of one bad goal/gm....and I'm talking the awful ones where you're scratching your head trying to figure out how it went in. That Edmonton game got completely turned on that Draisaitl goal.

I don't think it's fair for us to assume 1A level tending from Jones...he's holding the fort...but some of the shine has come off for sure
Jan. 19 at 4:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 19 at 4:17 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Not really, it's pretty tough to try and contend in the first year of bringing in a new GM whose ideologies on roster construction are the polar opposite of the former GM. Look at the Leafs under Dubas in the early years post Lou. That's exactly what is happening now

Look what Van did

Hronek traded for even when team was gonna miss and look at the outcome the following season

They now got a solid top pair guy.

Leafs trade for Chychrun whose got another year left got someone to build around and use this and next year. Heck extend him in the summer also good
Jan. 19 at 4:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
I think you've seen Matthews score a few from sharp angles and Jones giving up some the past week and a half and that equates to every goalie.

It goes back to comments on this forum with Sammy....all goalies are going to let a bad goal in every now and then. It can't be a rate of one bad goal/gm....and I'm talking the awful ones where you're scratching your head trying to figure out how it went in. That Edmonton game got completely turned on that Draisaitl goal.

I don't think it's fair for us to assume 1A level tending from Jones...he's holding the fort...but some of the shine has come off for sure

Even before those. Like in highlights so many goalies seem to be allowing impossible angle goals lul

It just be an odd season

Jones has been better than league avg and really that's what we need rn. As nobody goalies besides a select few been fun
Jan. 19 at 4:34 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Look what Van did

Hronek traded for even when team was gonna miss and look at the outcome the following season

They now got a solid top pair guy.

Leafs trade for Chychrun whose got another year left got someone to build around and use this and next year. Heck extend him in the summer also good

I have to disagree with this, Vancouver was a team that knew they were close and gave up the later of their 2 first round picks to address a positional need. Toronto only has 1 first round pick, and that alone will not be nearly enough to pry away a top 2 defenseman from a divisional rival. I'd feel much better adding another 1st and using that on a defenseman, there are tons of good blueliners this year.

Trade Brodie and Bertuzzi to Vancouver for something like Kuzmenko (who would certainly contribute in a big way next year), Silovs (who is an incredible young goalie), and a 1st to give us more flexibility at the draft. Trade Domi to the Rangers for a guy like Sykora and late picks. Then just stand pat and let Treliving mold this roster to his liking in the offseason. That's when you can go out and get an impact defenseman like Hanifin, shore up the defensive depth with a guy like Desharnais, and round out the forward group. There was simply too much going on for Treliving to fully make this roster to his liking this past offseason. This isn't new, we saw it was Dubas taking the reigns from Lou, it was just less obvious at that point because the Leafs already sucked when Dubas took over.

Im going to assume the reason we saw so many 1 year deals in Free Agency was because management didn't know whether to buy or stand pat. Its now being abundantly clear what needs to be done. Just sell the assets we don't need, it's not a hard concept lmao
Jan. 19 at 4:39 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Actually hang on, my original idea from last year was to grab another 1st and trade up for Sam Dickinson. If we do that I'd be happy with picks.

Maybe New Jersey?

You mean trade up to New Jersey's pick with the other one we acquire or trade our player(s) for their 1st? Cause it's not looking like they're gonna be buying
Jan. 19 at 4:44 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
You mean trade up to New Jersey's pick with the other one we acquire or trade our player(s) for their 1st? Cause it's not looking like they're gonna be buying

Sell to new jersey for their 1st, trade up to 6 or 7.
Dicky is the #1 NA D in this draft he might even go top 5
Jan. 19 at 4:50 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Just want to float this out there. Having 2 first round picks in a draft class with the following defensemen available would be huge:

Sam Dickinson
Artyom Levshunov
Zeev Buium
Anton Silayev
Zayne Parekh
Adam Jiricek
Aaron Kiviharju
Carter Yakemchuk
Cole Hutson
Henry Mews
Anthony Cristoforo

Sure, most of them would be out of our pick range, but if someone does slip, then having 2 firsts to work with would be great. The guys I've italicized are players I think the Leafs could get (and want them to get)
Jan. 19 at 4:50 p.m.
Sell to new jersey for their 1st, trade up to 6 or 7.
Dicky is the #1 NA D in this draft he might even go top 5

I don't see Jersey trading their 1st tbh. Been a bit of a lackluster season for them.
Jan. 19 at 5:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I don't see Jersey trading their 1st tbh. Been a bit of a lackluster season for them.

They're too good to not be in the playoffs. I'd bet they are looking to buy
Jan. 19 at 5:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I have to disagree with this, Vancouver was a team that knew they were close and gave up the later of their 2 first round picks to address a positional need. Toronto only has 1 first round pick, and that alone will not be nearly enough to pry away a top 2 defenseman from a divisional rival. I'd feel much better adding another 1st and using that on a defenseman, there are tons of good blueliners this year.

Trade Brodie and Bertuzzi to Vancouver for something like Kuzmenko (who would certainly contribute in a big way next year), Silovs (who is an incredible young goalie), and a 1st to give us more flexibility at the draft. Trade Domi to the Rangers for a guy like Sykora and late picks. Then just stand pat and let Treliving mold this roster to his liking in the offseason. That's when you can go out and get an impact defenseman like Hanifin, shore up the defensive depth with a guy like Desharnais, and round out the forward group. There was simply too much going on for Treliving to fully make this roster to his liking this past offseason. This isn't new, we saw it was Dubas taking the reigns from Lou, it was just less obvious at that point because the Leafs already sucked when Dubas took over.

Im going to assume the reason we saw so many 1 year deals in Free Agency was because management didn't know whether to buy or stand pat. Its now being abundantly clear what needs to be done. Just sell the assets we don't need, it's not a hard concept lmao

The dumbest thing for TOR to do is sell

They are a playoff team, they had a rough stretch but they aint missing they have games in hand over DET and TBL

If Brad's not gonna fire Keefe then the next thing is try and make a trade to improve things

We saw him try to add Zadorov + Tanev

TOR had a 5 year window for a cup. We should not be sitting and thinking about prospects that can help in 3 years when they should be thinking about the now

Who cares if its a new GM. Add a guy with term see what happens in the playoffs then u got someone to build around for next season to

Chycrun is 25 years old and has 1.5 years left go get him and see what happens

As we dont need to concern ourselves with prospects and drafting up lul thats going backwards not forwards
Jan. 19 at 5:15 p.m.
Amirov Forever
The dumbest thing for TOR to do is sell

In what conceivable way would it be stupid for Toronto to sell pending UFAs who won't be Leafs in a few months time anyways? Buying would be 100x stupider IMO
Jan. 19 at 5:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
In what conceivable way would it be stupid for Toronto to sell pending UFAs who won't be Leafs in a few months time anyways? Buying would be 100x stupider IMO

No competing team sells pending UFA's

TBL may miss but they aint looking to move Stamkos

Same with Pitt and Guentzel

TOR is gonna make the playoffs they are to good not to as they got games in hand and TBL has been big meh. Matthews also gonna carry em when he has to.

Wait for Woll to get back. Go get a Dman who has term at the TDL like Van did with Hronek and or OTT did with Chycrun and just see what happens. It works out this season great. If not you got someone to build around for next season

As the window is short its time to win now
Jan. 19 at 5:18 p.m.
They're too good to not be in the playoffs. I'd bet they are looking to buy

To an extent perhaps, but if they’re still in a battle for a WC spot come the deadline, I doubt the 1st moves - unless it’s a bigger deal that requires it and they put protection on it
Jan. 19 at 5:19 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
To an extent perhaps, but if they’re still in a battle for a WC spot come the deadline, I doubt the 1st moves - unless it’s a bigger deal that requires it and they put protection on it

I mentioned I'd look at McCleod as well. Good bottom 6 centre. Right handed too.

Michael at 3C and Ryan at 2LW would be awesome. Very fast players
Jan. 19 at 5:22 p.m.
I mentioned I'd look at McCleod as well. Good bottom 6 centre. Right handed too

Yeah, I thought we were just referencing your plan for Dickinson.

McLeod would be nice so long as he’s clean of the 2018 WJC incident. It bugs me that he’s one of the only players who has not commented (or at least not outright denied involvement)
Jan. 19 at 5:22 p.m.
Amirov Forever
No competing team sells pending UFA's

TBL may miss but they aint looking to move Stamkos

Same with Pitt and Guentzel

TOR is gonna make the playoffs they are to good not to as they got games in hand and TBL has been big meh. Matthews also gonna carry em when he has to.

Wait for Woll to get back. Go get a Dman who has term at the TDL like Van did with Hronek and or OTT did with Chycrun and just see what happens. It works out this season great. If not you got someone to build around for next season

As the window is short its time to win now

Hate to break it to you but Toronto is not a competing team. Our starter has been out for a while and our blue line is no where near Stanley Cup contender status. Why invest in a team that isn't even fully Brad's yet? Also, Im sure that the Leafs would make the playoffs even without Bertuzzi, Domi, and Brodie lmao. The main goal is to get assets back for UFAs, we arent winning anything this season
Jan. 19 at 5:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Yeah, I thought we were just referencing your plan for Dickinson.

McLeod would be nice so long as he’s clean of the 2018 WJC incident. It bugs me that he’s one of the only players who has not commented (or at least not outright denied involvement)

Didn't realise that he was one of the guys involved. Yeah as long as he is clean I'm cool with it. Both him and his brother on this team would be awesome
Jan. 19 at 5:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 19 at 5:31 p.m.
Hate to break it to you but Toronto is not a competing team. Our starter has been out for a while and our blue line is no where near Stanley Cup contender status. Why invest in a team that isn't even fully Brad's yet? Also, Im sure that the Leafs would make the playoffs even without Bertuzzi, Domi, and Brodie lmao. The main goal is to get assets back for UFAs, we arent winning anything this season

Is Tor not in a playoff spot?

Do they not have Matthews, Marner and Nylander

Do they not make the playoffs every year

That sounds like competing lul

And dont be calling Woll the starter. TOR has not had anyone be considered the legit starter this whole season

At times its been Jones, Sammy, and Woll. Nobody has grabbed the position and ran with it. But hey as we showed 2 years ago we can make the playoffs even with dog **** goaltending. Heck they went past TBL with Sammy being meh. We dont even know how Woll's gonna be when he gets back

Critics agree the main issue rn is this blue line.

Add a blueliner to this team to allow for some guys to be shifted down and move around and they are better

Rielly-Liligren
Chycrun-McCabe
Benoit-Brodie

Cause wasting this teams prime window is not good for anyone. Should not be thinking about drafting top prospects not in the slightest

They got Cowen, Minten, Knies, Niemela, etc for that

Matthews, Marner, and Willy be in their primes lets not waste it shall we.

Go get Chycrun and see what happens that should be the only mindset not ooo this top 10 prospect looks good for the draft lets trade up.

Heck Cinderalla be a thing. She smiles on us for once we could go on a run like DAL, MTL, and FLA did
Jan. 19 at 5:25 p.m.

I’m not sure we would make it after selling. I’m not even sure we would if we didn’t - and I’d be perfectly fine if we missed after sending guys out the door.
Jan. 19 at 5:52 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952to7dscurvz9dkuf88zwen2reas1gbot9w0i8cbwc&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g
Jan. 19 at 6:17 p.m.
average joe

My guess is Leafs brass realizes this is not the year. Maybe Keefe needs to win to keep his job, but Treveling has time. I think they want to make the playoffs, but don't expect to go far. If they are close to missing at Trade Deadline, I see less chance of a sale. If they are sort of comfortably in, I could see trading pieces, especially UFA's.
Their goal is probably to improve next year and truly compete to be an elite team the year after.
So trading those pieces and retaining (in order to maximize returns) makes perfect sense.
Jan. 19 at 6:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 19 at 6:55 p.m.
Quoting: Messier99
My guess is Leafs brass realizes this is not the year. Maybe Keefe needs to win to keep his job, but Treveling has time. I think they want to make the playoffs, but don't expect to go far. If they are close to missing at Trade Deadline, I see less chance of a sale. If they are sort of comfortably in, I could see trading pieces, especially UFA's.
Their goal is probably to improve next year and truly compete to be an elite team the year after.
So trading those pieces and retaining (in order to maximize returns) makes perfect sense.

In general for those who say stay pat its not how it works

Zito fired his coach and brought in Maurice

So him staying pat at TDL was viewed as fine

Heck in 2019-2020 Dubas used his fire bullet on Babcock then had a quiet TDL.

If your not gonna fire Keefe then u got to make a move to help him out and not stand pat.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll