SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Jan. 25 at 2:06 a.m.
Amirov Forever
If Samsonov actually is back from the dead (and Woll returns soon), I could definitely see the Leafs adding some strategic young players at the TDL. Nothing major, but I'd really like to try and get Kaliyev out of LA, and maybe Pospisil out of Calgary (although this would probably be apart of a larger package, ie Tanev)

Some other pieces to look at could include:
- Toropchenko 👀
- Lundestrom
- Soderstrom?
- Broberg?
- Texier 👀
- Hameenaho
- Novak (Pretty big stretch to suggest this, but you never know with Trotz)
- Glass
- Kartye? (Probably costs a ton)
- Tomasino
Jan. 25 at 8:46 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Random2152
Ehh id bet they go back to Jones. Same team twice and all

I guess you can wish for Sammy Saturday then?

Quoting: palhal
Get the call? if Sammy wins Saturday, he should be player of the week.

Agreed... But don't really think of the Jets as a test tbh...
Jan. 25 at 8:46 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.theleafsnation.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F4%2F2023%2F03%2FUSATSI_19172253-scaled.jpg&w=3840&q=75

First give this guy a chance

Photo isn’t loading up, who is it?

Sammy rebounding after a week to himself and the Marlies training staff pretty much confirm the saying

Goalies are Voodo

That or his dad got him back on track which in that case Vin Diesal right

I have to remember than when drafting my fantasy hockey team. This year, I’m in a small league and was able to draft Oettinger and Saros but neither of them are playing like the Vezina candidates they have been in years past. Probably going to avoid drafting any goalies until the late rounds of the draft.
Jan. 25 at 8:48 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
If Samsonov actually is back from the dead (and Woll returns soon), I could definitely see the Leafs adding some strategic young players at the TDL. Nothing major, but I'd really like to try and get Kaliyev out of LA, and maybe Pospisil out of Calgary (although this would probably be apart of a larger package, ie Tanev)

Some other pieces to look at could include:
- Toropchenko 👀
- Lundestrom
- Soderstrom?
- Broberg?
- Texier 👀
- Hameenaho
- Novak (Pretty big stretch to suggest this, but you never know with Trotz)
- Glass
- Kartye? (Probably costs a ton)
- Tomasino

I'd go after Zub from Ottawa, got some term, under 30... Especially if it's Chychrun+Zub... Brodie goes to a 3rd party:

Rielly-Zub
Chychrun-McCabe
Benoit-Lilly
Gio

this defensive core becomes the best in the NHL
Jan. 25 at 10:54 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: LeafsForLife

I have to remember than when drafting my fantasy hockey team. This year, I’m in a small league and was able to draft Oettinger and Saros but neither of them are playing like the Vezina candidates they have been in years past. Probably going to avoid drafting any goalies until the late rounds of the draft.

Steeves
Jan. 25 at 12:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsForLife

Alex Steeves
Jan. 25 at 2:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Man I know what I said about giving Steeves a shot and not claiming but its a bit tempting to see the NHL leader in blocked shots amonst forwards available and not take a chance.

As then maybe Matthews wont have to block so many lul

Cause for TOR forwards this be the blocked shots

Matthews = 55
Marner = 39
Tavares = 25
Saskleaf and palhal liked this.
Jan. 25 at 6:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Im starting to think Fox might have solved the whole Sammy thing on why he struggled and then potentially is turning things around

As the whole Arb thing might have really broke him then a couple of stinkers really may have messed him up

But then he went down to the AHL for a week worked privately with the dev staff and his father comes over and that can help

And then he comes back up Jones starts to struggle and rest is history. As last year when Murray struggled Sammy took the net and never looked back. May see history repeat itself.

Also Jones struggling be a blessing if u think about it as when Woll comes back we can waive him and less likely anyone want him lul
Jan. 25 at 6:39 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Random2152
Ruzika on waivers out of Calgary. Id pick him up in a heartbeat

God damn Arizona got him.
Jan. 25 at 11:12 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
For anyone who doesn't think Auston Matthews can't show up in the playoffs;

Matthews goals in 2023 playoffs: 5 in 11

Brayden Point, Nikita Kucherov, Steven Stamkos, Alexander Barkov and Matthew Tkachuk combined goals vs the Leafs: 6 in 11
Jan. 25 at 11:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 26 at 12:23 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
For anyone who doesn't think Auston Matthews can't show up in the playoffs;

Matthews goals in 2023 playoffs: 5 in 11

Brayden Point, Nikita Kucherov, Steven Stamkos, Alexander Barkov and Matthew Tkachuk combined goals vs the Leafs: 6 in 11

In general its not that the big 4 dont show up for playoffs at all its that often these guys go quiet at the wrong times and the depth cant save em

In the TBL series the big 4 were monsters with 2 going hot while the other 2 went cold then vice versa. That was fine it worked

Then in the FLA series they just were crickets and the funny thing was it was our depth that was scoring till at least game 4 when they finally woke up but by then the dmg was done

Basically at least 2 of these guys have to be going at all times otherwise we go no where thats how they are built. And unfortunatly till game 4 nobody showed up. Our depth and blue line couldn't compete with FLA's and Leafs basically got bullied (Bennett on Knies)

Now this year will be interesting as yes I know they havent had great regular seasons but Bertuzzi and Domi both have shown to be playoff performers. Bertuzzi's sample is a bit iffy but Domi not bad for a depth guy playing bottom 6 in Dallas and Carolina (3rd and 4th line mostly)
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 26 at 8:04 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
In general its not that the big 4 dont show up for playoffs at all its that often these guys go quiet at the wrong times and the depth cant save em

In the TBL series the big 4 were monsters with 2 going hot while the other 2 went cold then vice versa. That was fine it worked

Then in the FLA series they just were crickets and the funny thing was it was our depth that was scoring till at least game 4 when they finally woke up but by then the dmg was done

Basically at least 2 of these guys have to be going at all times otherwise we go no where thats how they are built. And unfortunatly till game 5 nobody showed up. Our depth and blue line couldn't compete with FLA's and Leafs basically got bullied (Bennett on Knies)

Now this year will be interesting as yes I know they havent had great regular seasons but Bertuzzi and Domi both have shown to be playoff performers. Bertuzzi's sample is a bit iffy but Domi not bad for a depth guy playing bottom 6 in Dallas and Carolina (3rd and 4th line mostly)

I know... But worst case, he outperformed Barkov, Tkachuk, Point, Kucherov and Stamkos...while leading RD 2 in shot attempts and shots on goals but .944 Bob...

That's my take though
Jan. 26 at 8:50 a.m.
Rip
I'd go after Zub from Ottawa, got some term, under 30... Especially if it's Chychrun+Zub... Brodie goes to a 3rd party:

Rielly-Zub
Chychrun-McCabe
Benoit-Lilly
Gio

this defensive core becomes the best in the NHL

Not sure I'd say best but it's pretty good
Jan. 26 at 8:52 a.m.
Rip
Im starting to think Fox might have solved the whole Sammy thing on why he struggled and then potentially is turning things around

As the whole Arb thing might have really broke him then a couple of stinkers really may have messed him up

But then he went down to the AHL for a week worked privately with the dev staff and his father comes over and that can help

And then he comes back up Jones starts to struggle and rest is history. As last year when Murray struggled Sammy took the net and never looked back. May see history repeat itself.

Also Jones struggling be a blessing if u think about it as when Woll comes back we can waive him and less likely anyone want him lul

Woll is still the starter once healthy. Sammy doesn't have the mental fortitude to handle the pressure of the playoffs.
Jan. 26 at 8:53 a.m.
Rip
Man I know what I said about giving Steeves a shot and not claiming but its a bit tempting to see the NHL leader in blocked shots amonst forwards available and not take a chance.

As then maybe Matthews wont have to block so many lul

Cause for TOR forwards this be the blocked shots

Matthews = 55
Marner = 39
Tavares = 25

Bonino blocks so many shots because he never has the puck. He also wouldn't be on the ice when the guys you listed are on the ice so he doesn't take any blocked shots away from them. Your logic is nonsense on this one
Jan. 26 at 8:58 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
Not sure I'd say best but it's pretty good

I could definitely argue it and the core pieces have term
Jan. 26 at 9:03 a.m.
Rip

Basically at least 2 of these guys have to be going at all times otherwise we go no where thats how they are built. And unfortunatly till game 5 nobody showed up. Our depth and blue line couldn't compete with FLA's and Leafs basically got bullied (Bennett on Knies)

That is all nonsense all of it. They didn't get bullied, they didn't see their depth get dominated. And their core did show up. Florida was Keefe's fault and Bobrovsky. Florida's entire game plan is pressure the puck carrier and look for turnovers for quick strike offence. It was kryptonite for Keefe's system and he didn't do anything to adjust until game 4 and then it was too late. TO should have won those game 1-0 or 2-1 and planned for those tight games but instead they did their thing, Bobrovsky stopped everything apart from the 5 times in that round Matthews or Nylander hit the post. The stars were going, they out shot, out chanced and actually held the vast majority of the play but had a goalie that stopped everything while Florida waited for their chances and scored on odd man rushes.

Keefe should have been fired after that series.
Jan. 26 at 9:22 a.m.
Rip
I could definitely argue it and the core pieces have term

A year and a half of term isn't really long term. McCabe and Chychrun are both FA's after next season.
Jan. 26 at 10:48 a.m.
so...6 weeks to the TDL and I suppose there's still a lot that can happen between now and then

I've heard it mentioned on various programs and across other sports about "rewarding the players" at the TDL when they're doing well and a GM showing a sign of faith in them by adding at the deadline.

I've also heard (and it may have been Freidman on 32 thoughts)...that a few years ago Dubas had a trade lined up for Bogosian but after an awful road trip he axed the deal because "the players didn't deserve it".

And I kind of agree with that philosophy. I think we all agree where the holes are on this team and we've all shared thoughts on what targets might be useful to help fill them....but a few of us are also in the camp that this team isn't quite good enough to justify spending assets at the deadline to make a push this year. And I'm definitely more in that camp because it feels to me like a lot of the losses are coming off of poor effort and mental mistakes vs lack of skill. Of course that's not every game...but of our "leaders"...I think Morgan might be the only guy where you feel he's giving you close to full effort every time he's out there.

So for me...it's not just about a pessimistic outlook for this team's chances to make a run...it's also about wanting to see if this group can dig themselves out...not giving them a new toy to help cover up their own deficiencies

6 weeks can maybe change my mind...and they may have somewhere between $2m-$4m in cap space depending on how they move players around...but I'd almost prefer them to be a 3rd party to a trade that is just used to facilitate another deal..and the leafs get a draft pick for eating 50% before shipping that player to his ultimate destination.

I also don't think they sell...just tip toe into the playoffs and see what this group can give you. I can't see them moving a guy like TJ with a NTC and all the personal stuff he has going on...as much as us fans may want them to treat things like a business....there's a very real human element and I think it would be pretty classless to ask him to waive
Jan. 26 at 11:51 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Bertuzzi comes back today, which means someone is getting sent down. I feel like the most realistic guy is going to be Holmberg purely because of his waiver exemption, but I'm also kind of curious about Reaves. He and the team seem to be in a bit of a disagreement in regards to his lack of play time, and he has just kind of been there for the most part. Maybe he gets axed?
Jan. 26 at 12:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Bertuzzi comes back today, which means someone is getting sent down. I feel like the most realistic guy is going to be Holmberg purely because of his waiver exemption, but I'm also kind of curious about Reaves. He and the team seem to be in a bit of a disagreement in regards to his lack of play time, and he has just kind of been there for the most part. Maybe he gets axed?

Lagesson has not played since dec 12. I liked him and the stats showed he was good on the PK but yea Keefe seems to not want to use him.

Waive him and see what happens and if u lose him hey got a contract spot open

Reaves has had this treatment before in VGK, MIN, and NYR so it shouldnt be new for him to sit, but then again its tempting for WPG.

They need to suffer lul
Jan. 26 at 12:15 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
A year and a half of term isn't really long term. McCabe and Chychrun are both FA's after next season.

A year and a half ago, Huberdeau was still in Florida
Jan. 26 at 12:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
so...6 weeks to the TDL and I suppose there's still a lot that can happen between now and then

I've heard it mentioned on various programs and across other sports about "rewarding the players" at the TDL when they're doing well and a GM showing a sign of faith in them by adding at the deadline.

I've also heard (and it may have been Freidman on 32 thoughts)...that a few years ago Dubas had a trade lined up for Bogosian but after an awful road trip he axed the deal because "the players didn't deserve it".

And I kind of agree with that philosophy. I think we all agree where the holes are on this team and we've all shared thoughts on what targets might be useful to help fill them....but a few of us are also in the camp that this team isn't quite good enough to justify spending assets at the deadline to make a push this year. And I'm definitely more in that camp because it feels to me like a lot of the losses are coming off of poor effort and mental mistakes vs lack of skill. Of course that's not every game...but of our "leaders"...I think Morgan might be the only guy where you feel he's giving you close to full effort every time he's out there.

So for me...it's not just about a pessimistic outlook for this team's chances to make a run...it's also about wanting to see if this group can dig themselves out...not giving them a new toy to help cover up their own deficiencies

6 weeks can maybe change my mind...and they may have somewhere between $2m-$4m in cap space depending on how they move players around...but I'd almost prefer them to be a 3rd party to a trade that is just used to facilitate another deal..and the leafs get a draft pick for eating 50% before shipping that player to his ultimate destination.

I also don't think they sell...just tip toe into the playoffs and see what this group can give you. I can't see them moving a guy like TJ with a NTC and all the personal stuff he has going on...as much as us fans may want them to treat things like a business....there's a very real human element and I think it would be pretty classless to ask him to waive

If I remember correctly on Bogo and he even said his signing was axed due to the Zamboni game

And I believe his deal got terminated by Buff and he was a FA choosing between TOR and TBL so I dont think it was a trade.

The deal I remember getting axed but this was Babcock was Jensen.
Jan. 26 at 12:22 p.m.

I'm with you as far as curiosity goes and probably hinges on what direction they want to go with on Reaves.

Have to think everyone is in agreement that just about everyone else is a better option that rolling Reaves out onto the ice...I'm just not sure if the club is ready to admit their mistake and put him on waivers. I hope they do...but I am doubtful.

Then the decision comes to...who do you rather have sit in the pressbox vs who do you actually want to get playing time with the Marlies. Lagesson has been sitting for a while it seems and doesn't seem like he's going to get a look over Gio or Timmins at this point....so while it makes sense for him to go down maybe the club feels better about having him sit out for a long stretch vs Holmberg or McMann...and it seems like prefer Holmberg to McMann so...I wonder their level of concern about McMann clearing waivers.

So ya...interesting to see what they do...Holmberg is the easiest transaction but they guy that deserves to stay the most.
Jan. 26 at 12:28 p.m.
If I remember correctly on Bogo and he even said his signing was axed due to the Zamboni game

And I believe his deal got terminated by Buff and he was a FA choosing between TOR and TBL so I dont think it was a trade.

The deal I remember getting axed but this was Babcock was Jensen.

you're right...it was the Zamboni game...for some reason I had it stuck in my head that it was a miserable western road trip that made Dubas pull the deal but the dates weren't adding up (both timing of the signing + the fact they had a successful western trip that year).

But the principle applies either way...we know Treliving isn't a big TDL guy so unless it's Shanny telling him to get something done I just don't see anything major.

I get the feeling they're going to keep 3 goalies up...maybe Jones gets traded for a late pick....but I'd definitely be on board for just being a middle man...take 50% of Guentzel for Vancouver or something

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll