SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 12 at 12:08 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
If its a hockey play why nobody else slapshotting at empty nets with space?

Easy cause its not. He broke the rules pucked around and got what was coming to him

Doesn't make sense. Its basically a celly and it's objectively not against the rules. It just makes the leafs look soft and frustrated.
Feb. 12 at 12:12 p.m.
If its a hockey play why nobody else slapshotting at empty nets with that amount of space?

Easy cause its not. He broke the unwritten rules pucked around and got what was coming to him. As mentioned before its like in the NBA with shooting final 30 seconds in a blowout game where your teams up 20-30

Now not saying for anyone to get hurt but if he did it would be a lesson for him to never do it again. He would learn k I cant do that **** as look where it got me. Its like when rookies try to embellish for penalty calls then finally get caught and penalized. Ask Stutzle guy dove left right and center then one day started getting penalized

What Rielly did was a response that got a little out of hand but hey to teach a guy he cant do that you can argue it was warranted. Thats all there is to it.

In the end Greig now knows not to do that **** as this is what will happen. Giroux probs also told him hey u cant do that despite the win. Thats how it should be viewed, both did something wrong and the rookie learned a valuable lesson

Only a Leafs fan would want Grieg to play like an absolute drone an tap it in with no emotion.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BDHockey
Doesn't make sense. Its basically a celly and it's objectively not against the rules. It just makes the leafs look soft and frustrated.

Seem to not understand. So will end it with this what Greig did was not a hockey play. Was not a celly was him pucking around with the ENG. Everyone agrees what he did was dumb and so the response was warranted. Went to high but if he was expecting nothing oh boy he got his lesson.

And it does not make the Leafs look soft at all do you even know what your talking about. If the leafs didnt respond it would have made them look soft. Now teams know they cant puck around as then they gonna get a response.
Hakuna Matata
Only a Leafs fan would want Grieg to play like an absolute drone an tap it in with no emotion.

Thats what everyone in the NHL does no matter the result. Nobody does what he did for a reason. There are unwritten rules but clearly you seem to have missed that

As hes the only guy to do it and now he knows never to do it again.
Feb. 12 at 12:16 p.m.
Thats what everyone in the NHL does no matter the result. Nobody does what he did for a reason. There are unwritten rules but clearly you seem to have missed that

As hes the only guy to do it and now he knows never to do it again.

I hope he does it again.
Feb. 12 at 12:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 12:22 p.m.
I hope he does it again.

Then sadly your hoping for the same thing to happen which could result in an injury and thats not good

Should never be wanting more of this as then it will ruin the game. As this will just cause more scrums and Pinto's career could be cut short especially if he does this against teams who are tougher. Hopefully Giroux told him knock it off in the lockerroom as he knows the code

There is a reason for unwritten rules in all sports to prevent this nonsense. Cant see it cant help yah
Feb. 12 at 12:22 p.m.
Then your hoping for the same thing to happen which could result in an injury and thats not good

Should never be wanting more of this as then it will ruin the game. As this will just cause more scrums and Pinto's career could be cut short especially if he does this against teams who are tougher

There is a reason for unwritten rules in all sports to prevent this nonsense. Cant see it cant help yah

Hey I wouldn't call for someone to cross check someone in the head. There is only one fanbase condoning that. It would however bring a smile to my face if another team slapshotted an ENG against the leafs though.
Feb. 12 at 12:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 12:32 p.m.
Hey I wouldn't call for someone to cross check someone in the head. There is only one fanbase condoning that. It would however bring a smile to my face if another team slapshotted an ENG against the leafs though.

Seem to have missed when report said principal contact was in the shoulder and it rose to the head. It was not a direct hit to the head lul. There's a big difference between deliberate contact with the head and when a hit rises. If it was a direct headshot Friedman would not have mentioned principal contact was shoulder and rose.

And no other fanbases have discussed what Greig did has 0 place in hockey its not just TML

In the end no team is gonna slapshot an ENG vs. TOR or any team for that matter as it seems everyone but Greig knew the unwritten rules of hockey. They saw the repercussions from both angles and know why the rules there. Well now Greig knows that its wrong and for his sake should never do it again

As said before cant see it cant help yah end of discussion
Feb. 12 at 12:57 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

I heard great analogy on this.

If you go to the park and are sitting on bench, see a water fountain and decide you want a drink of water but you leave you wallet on the park bench.

Comeback to the park bench only to discover that your wallet is gone.

What did you think was gonna happen.
Feb. 12 at 1:05 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Messier99
Spezza went to make a hit and Pionk then bend down to glove the puck (also not much of a hockey play). Spezza went down as well to try to make the body check.

No, he didn't... It was a clear attempt to injure Pionk
Feb. 12 at 1:06 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I heard great analogy on this.

If you go to the park and are sitting on bench, see a water fountain and decide you want a drink of water but you leave you wallet on the park bench.

Comeback to the park bench only to discover that your wallet is gone.

What did you think was gonna happen.

I wouldn't cry and moan that society was unfair if the thief was arrested.
Feb. 12 at 1:17 p.m.
torontos finest

wonder what pronger would've done
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 12 at 1:42 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
wonder what pronger would've done

Same thing and get suspended.
Feb. 12 at 2:07 p.m.
So whats he supposed to do... nothing?

What Greig did was not a hockey play and knowing him he would have been to ***** to drop the gloves with Rielly. Basically there was gonna be a response like that unless he had the ballz to drop but we all know Greig would scamper away like a rat. Its like when u shoot at the final seconds of a blowout game in basketball there is gonna be a response.

Its a lose/lose situation

If Rielly did nothing people would say team has no spark or heart. He does something oh no need for that. So what we want people. Yes should have aimed lower but what can you do

No team would have allowed Greig to get away with what he did and he would have been lying on the ice anyway

Greig is lucky this was not BOS, FLA, or any of the other more vicious teams as they would have sent him to the ER as if u dont think Marchand or Bennett wouldnt take a suspension to make a point oh boy.

Anyways Greig learned a valuable lesson and knows if he does that again there gonna be a response from other teams.

I really don't think, of all the crap the leafs showed Saturday night....that anyone would pay attention to a lack of reaction to the empty net slap shot.

That being said, I like the emotion...wish it wasn't to the head....but I think it's also silly to think there HAD to be a response there.
BDHockey liked this.
Feb. 12 at 2:14 p.m.
Matthew Barnaby was on The Fan this morning and I think he put it best....\

said there's no such thing as "the code" or "unwritten rules"....in almost 1,000 games he said that type of conversation never once came up in the dressing room.

Said it's guys doing sh*t to rile and get under the skin of the opponent...and doing things they know will get a reaction. Greig knew what he was doing..Morgan...you can say he took the bait or stood up for team honour...or whatever...but we need to stop pretending that what Greig did was disrespectful or against some code.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 12 at 2:34 p.m.
average joe
Quoting: Juice

said there's no such thing as "the code" or "unwritten rules"....in almost 1,000 games he said that type of conversation never once came up in the dressing room.

Said it's guys doing sh*t to rile and get under the skin of the opponent...and doing things they know will get a reaction. Greig knew what he was doing..Morgan...you can say he took the bait or stood up for team honour...or whatever...but we need to stop pretending that what Greig did was disrespectful or against some code.

Shooting the puck off the boards is a normal play. If the puck gets a bit high and goes in the bench, is that a normal play. Now how about if you are perpendicular to the bench and shoot it?
I don't think you violated any rules. Likely only unsportsmanlike conduct - which really means going against the unwritten rules (sort of like Sean Avery).
Feb. 12 at 3:01 p.m.
Shooting the puck off the boards is a normal play. If the puck gets a bit high and goes in the bench, is that a normal play. Now how about if you are perpendicular to the bench and shoot it?
I don't think you violated any rules. Likely only unsportsmanlike conduct - which really means going against the unwritten rules (sort of like Sean Avery).

sorry...that analogy doesn't make any sense to me....if you intentionally tee the puck up and fire it at a player(s) with intent to injure then that would be in the rule book as a match penalty.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 12 at 3:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 3:25 p.m.
I really don't think, of all the crap the leafs showed Saturday night....that anyone would pay attention to a lack of reaction to the empty net slap shot.

That being said, I like the emotion...wish it wasn't to the head....but I think it's also silly to think there HAD to be a response there.

If they didnt respond people would have celled them soft and had no emotion. We see it with others respose has to be made

Look at the playoffs last year. Leafs blowout loss vs. TBL game 1 nothing. Game 2 TBL got chippy left right and center after they were getting blown out. Cant go away quietly

Moving back to this situation think of it like Basketball there's a reason nobody shoots final 30seconds in a blowout game or a game you know your gonna win and they just dribble final min. Now some guys forget or still decide **** it but theres often a response even by their own coach sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/00ebOe2fQL0

In the NHL the unwritten rule is basically dont puck around with ENG. As notice nobody but him did it. Well now he knows lul.

But yea there be some intriguing unwritten rules some even I forgot about

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1458266-the-15-unwritten-rules-of-the-nhl
Feb. 12 at 3:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 3:32 p.m.

The thing with unwritten rules is they are expected to be know or taught or learned. Every sport has them

We have seen them enforced just the ENG one was a rare sight as nobody before was dumb enough to do what Greig did

Well know he knows

Post above has most of the rules and yea a lot we have seen enforced before. The dont cross the line is a pretty known thing in warmups. Some guys forget but often get reminded. Others include the helmet stuff
Feb. 12 at 3:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

In general every sport has its unwritten rules: traditions, customs or codes of conduct that are followed by players, coaches and referees even if they're not officially in the rule book.

Greig learned it the hard way but hey sometimes thats needed. Sucks but hey he now knows never to do it again. As hes lucky it was TOR and not BOS, TBL, or FLA
Feb. 12 at 3:56 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Honestly whether it was aimed at the shoulder or not he threw a crosscheck well after whistle that unquestionably hit his head. Intent really shouldn't matter because he really didn't have to crosscheck him.

We have about 400 examples of that not getting suspended for more than 1 game in the parros era.

Mo did nothing wrong
aadoyle and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 12 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
We have about 400 examples of that not getting suspended for more than 1 game in the parros era.

Mo did nothing wrong

I agree that there should be more consistency in suspensions, but Reilly still deserves 6+ game suspension.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 12 at 4:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152

Mo did nothing wrong

Funny enough Dangle been on a role with stuff we have seen get 1 games and was arguably worse than what Rielly did

Remember Engvall on Moore that got 1 game

Heck I forgot the Vesey incident which was a crosscheck end of game and that also got 1 game
Feb. 12 at 4:35 p.m.
If they didnt respond people would have celled them soft and had no emotion. We see it with others respose has to be made

Look at the playoffs last year. Leafs blowout loss vs. TBL game 1 nothing. Game 2 TBL got chippy left right and center after they were getting blown out. Cant go away quietly

Moving back to this situation think of it like Basketball there's a reason nobody shoots final 30seconds in a blowout game or a game you know your gonna win and they just dribble final min. Now some guys forget or still decide **** it but theres often a response even by their own coach sometimes

In the NHL the unwritten rule is basically dont puck around with ENG. As notice nobody but him did it. Well now he knows lul.

If they didn't respond to a guy taking a slap shot on an open net I doubt most of us would have noticed or cared.
Feb. 12 at 4:39 p.m.

Forgive me if I take the word of a 15year vet over this dumb article

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll