SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 12 at 11:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
DING DING DING!!!

Exactly. If this team had a Rick Tocchet behind the bench, we'd be living the good life right now. Also now that I'm thinking about it, who is an Sheldon Keefe player? The only guys consistently producing in his system are the core 4 and the top line LW. Kinda seems like he gets the best out of no one

Nah any new HC in general dont have to be just Tocchett

Berube got the better resume anyway

As said before should have fired Keefe when he became available but they waited to long

Hopefully its cause they waiting for Brid'Amour but hey wont mine Berube summer either
Feb. 12 at 11:24 p.m.
DING DING DING!!!

Exactly. If this team had a Rick Tocchet behind the bench, we'd be living the good life right now. Also now that I'm thinking about it, who is an Sheldon Keefe player? The only guys consistently producing in his system are the core 4 and the top line LW. Kinda seems like he gets the best out of no one

Disagree tbh. I don’t think a new HC changes much as far as the actual end result. This team is just straight up flawed.
Feb. 12 at 11:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Disagree tbh. I don’t think a new HC changes much. This team is just straight up flawed.

Every team whose fired their HC but two has seen improvement

EDM was in the dumps fired Wood and won 16 in a row

And for those who say reg season stuff Evarson also had good reg seasons and he got fired
Feb. 12 at 11:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 12 at 11:41 p.m.
You’re the one who needs help dude. You’re one of the most consistently wrong and delusional people on this site.

No need to be toxic
Feb. 12 at 11:29 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Every team whose fired their HC but two has seen improvement

So… half?
Feb. 12 at 11:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So… half?

No LA also fired their HC its been 5 so far

Berube, Smith, Wood, Evason, and McLellan

Its been 3/2 so far need to check exact record but it may actually be 4/1
Feb. 12 at 11:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

K I found it

Since firing their HC

LA 1-0

EDM 27-8

MIN 18-13-1

OTT 10-10-2

STL 15-7-1

So will leave LA up to opinion as sample is to small but other than OTT seems teams have benefited from coaching changes
Feb. 12 at 11:37 p.m.

LA has played 1 game since then…
Feb. 12 at 11:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
LA has played 1 game since then…

I posted above will leave them for at least 9 more games but it seems every team but OTT has seen positive results

EDM being the craziest
Feb. 12 at 11:39 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Disagree tbh. I don’t think a new HC changes much as far as the actual end result. This team is just straight up flawed.

I meant more in regards to the production of the new signings. They don't mesh in Keefe's system whatsoever despite being historically productive players. The best coach in the world couldn't help us with our team defense haha
aadoyle and oneX liked this.
Feb. 12 at 11:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I meant more in regards to the production of the new signings. They don't mesh in Keefe's system whatsoever despite being historically productive players. The best coach in the world couldn't help us with our team defense haha

Honestly I wonder how Brid'Amour would do with them he knows our PK coach and both lead CAR to have one of the best PK's
Feb. 12 at 11:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
K I found it

Since firing their HC

LA 1-0

EDM 27-8

MIN 18-13-1

OTT 10-10-2

STL 15-7-1

So will leave LA up to opinion as sample is to small but other than OTT seems teams have benefited from coaching changes

In comparison to before firings team records under old guys

LA 23-15-10

EDM 3-9-1

MIN 5-10-4

OTT 11-15

STL 13-14-1

So there seems to be good evidence. LA will leave to 10 games but so far 3 of 4 teams have seen positive results
Feb. 12 at 11:55 p.m.

I mean Domi isn’t pacing that far behind his career average despite playing fewer minutes. Don’t think Keefe is struggling to get anything out of him tbh, he’s just not that great a player. He’s not much of a role player and has always been ABYSMAL defensively.

Bertuzzi hasn’t been great production wise outside of a hot playoff since the start of last year. And the line that he’s been on has been consistently winning their minutes but he’s not producing so…

I just don’t see how that’s on Keefe

And when you’ve got a coach who has gotten amazing seasons out of his best players and generally done a very good job since taking over, shouldn’t the more important thing be finding players that DO fit his system
oneX liked this.
Feb. 13 at 1:41 a.m.

And when you’ve got a coach who has gotten amazing seasons out of his best players and generally done a very good job since taking over, shouldn’t the more important thing be finding players that DO fit his system

I think you have to take into account the talent on this roster and how much they were/are going achieve certain successes based purely just on talent, regardless of who the coach is.

Also...the coach is supposed to maximize the talents and effort levels of the roster, not the other way around.

I thought Keefe should have been fired more than a year ago, nothing has changed because the same problems exist that were pointed out more than a year ago. The issue with firing Keefe right now is the choices for replacement are just not as appealing as when Bruce Cassidy was available for example.

How many games into this season? Keefe hasn't figured out which line he can send out blindly and be comfortable with said line settling things down. His words, not mine.
Feb. 13 at 2:08 a.m.
A question for all of you.

Would you want to see Nic Robertson under a new Leafs coach before deciding to trade him?

Or have some of you made up your mind about Robertson?

I would like to see how he would do with a new coach. Leafs won't get much for Robbie right now anyway, which is why I'd just hang onto him for now.
Feb. 13 at 6:26 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m absolutely down for flipping Domi, Bertuzzi, Brodie, Samsonov, Gio, Kämpf for actual hockey trades or using those assets for players that fit.

I've been thinking about this for awhile now - particularly when he looked terrible, but I'd give Sammy 1 more year around 2 aav. Seems better than most alternatives
Feb. 13 at 7:20 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
I think you have to take into account the talent on this roster and how much they were/are going achieve certain successes based purely just on talent, regardless of who the coach is.

Also...the coach is supposed to maximize the talents and effort levels of the roster, not the other way around.

I thought Keefe should have been fired more than a year ago, nothing has changed because the same problems exist that were pointed out more than a year ago. The issue with firing Keefe right now is the choices for replacement are just not as appealing as when Bruce Cassidy was available for example.

How many games into this season? Keefe hasn't figured out which line he can send out blindly and be comfortable with said line settling things down. His words, not mine.

I think he is maximizing the talents of the group. The roster just plain and simply isn't any good. I'm not saying that the roster is supposed to maximize his talents (actually yes I am, you should want a complimentary coach/roster pair, it goes both ways) but every coach/system is going to have players that aren't a great fit. Acquiring those players isn't ideal.

He hasn't figured out which line he can do that with because there isn't one that exists on this roster. The personnel isn't there.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 13 at 8:54 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Juice
Alre you able to take a step back and appreciate how absolutely ridiculous it is to get bent out of shape about the type of shot someone takes into an empty net?

I’m not even saying that I didn’t like Morgan going and showing the rookie what’s up….im just saying we’re all acting like a bunch of Karen’s if we think there’s any reason to be offended

It was a show of disrespect. Classless move. Not doing anything makes TO look like the chump everyone says they are. No heart and all soft. A cross check to the head is a bit much but going after the guy is warranted. You don't let people disrespect you. About time the team got mad at this display of disrespect
Feb. 13 at 8:59 a.m.
Rip
DING DING DING!!!

I think Tocchet would be a great coach for TO right now, but the defence still sucks. The reality is looking more and more to my eyes that Shanahan is a big problem. He meddles and gives directions and Treliving is a sham. Guy just hires name recognition and has no real idea where he's going. Keeping the core is wise but you need a coach who can get a full team rolling. Keefe just plays his stars into the ground and runs out of steam in the playoffs. Every year it's the same thing.
Feb. 13 at 9:01 a.m.
Rip

You are correct a coach doesn't fix all. The roster is flawed but Keefe does suck. Guy has no development skills, plays his favorites all the time. He isn't what the team needs.
Feb. 13 at 10:15 a.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
It was a show of disrespect. Classless move. Not doing anything makes TO look like the chump everyone says they are. No heart and all soft. A cross check to the head is a bit much but going after the guy is warranted. You don't let people disrespect you. About time the team got mad at this display of disrespect

mountains out of molehills. This isn't something dangerous or disrespectful done to a specific player...this is kind of like mouthing off to the bench as you go by.

There's been more than one former player come out and say....of all the things to take offense to...this was so incredibly insignificant and the only reason we're giving it any air time is due to Morgan's overreaction to it.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 13 at 10:23 a.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
I think Tocchet would be a great coach for TO right now, but the defence still sucks. The reality is looking more and more to my eyes that Shanahan is a big problem. He meddles and gives directions and Treliving is a sham. Guy just hires name recognition and has no real idea where he's going. Keeping the core is wise but you need a coach who can get a full team rolling. Keefe just plays his stars into the ground and runs out of steam in the playoffs. Every year it's the same thing.

I largely agree...but I think it's a combo of poor coaching and lack of depth. And it makes us way too easy to defend against in the playoffs. Would love an offseason where we re-shape this D-core and bring in a new coach that can put a better system in place (i'm still wishing upon a star for Brind'Amour)
Feb. 13 at 10:23 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Juice
mountains out of molehills. This isn't something dangerous or disrespectful done to a specific player...this is kind of like mouthing off to the bench as you go by.

There's been more than one former player come out and say....of all the things to take offense to...this was so incredibly insignificant and the only reason we're giving it any air time is due to Morgan's overreaction to it.

Exactly. The more I think about what Greig did, the more I think, WHO CARES. It’s the hockey equivalent of an exaggerated slam dunk. It’s a bit disrespectful but no one would be talking about it at all if Morgan hadn’t done anything.
Juice liked this.
Feb. 13 at 11:46 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
I've been thinking about this for awhile now - particularly when he looked terrible, but I'd give Sammy 1 more year around 2 aav. Seems better than most alternatives

Im debating between bringing him back or going and getting Desmith

As in general gonna probs need someone at 30+ games if Woll has injury woes
Feb. 13 at 11:50 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
A question for all of you.

Would you want to see Nic Robertson under a new Leafs coach before deciding to trade him?

Or have some of you made up your mind about Robertson?

I would like to see how he would do with a new coach. Leafs won't get much for Robbie right now anyway, which is why I'd just hang onto him for now.

Yes, same with Bertuzzi and Domi

Like remember under Babcock how bad Barrie was. Then Keefe came in and immediately remedied the issue

I think those 3 would heavily benifit from a new HC.

Cause rn im scared Domi and Bertuzzi go to new teams next year utterly dominate and were just still stuck with Keefe. Cause there is a history of Keefe doing this stuff to players before they go somewhere else and thrive

Barabanov
Kubel
Vesey
Lafferty

List just goes on and it blows. And while those aint big names we soon probs gonna be adding Domi and Bertuzzi come 2024-2025
oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll