SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 13 at 11:50 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I forgot about Skinner's 3 game suspension... The only where Guentzel, similar to Greig, broke a part of the "code" (don't poke check the goalie after the play is dead) and Skinner gave him 2 crosschecks (one to the shoulder and the other to the head) and 2 slashes (one knee and one ankle)...
Feb. 13 at 12:18 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I think he is maximizing the talents of the group. The roster just plain and simply isn't any good. I'm not saying that the roster is supposed to maximize his talents (actually yes I am, you should want a complimentary coach/roster pair, it goes both ways) but every coach/system is going to have players that aren't a great fit. Acquiring those players isn't ideal.

He hasn't figured out which line he can do that with because there isn't one that exists on this roster. The personnel isn't there.

Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I think he is maximizing the talents of the group. The roster just plain and simply isn't any good. I'm not saying that the roster is supposed to maximize his talents (actually yes I am, you should want a complimentary coach/roster pair, it goes both ways) but every coach/system is going to have players that aren't a great fit. Acquiring those players isn't ideal.

He hasn't figured out which line he can do that with because there isn't one that exists on this roster. The personnel isn't there.

The roster is flawed but you know what has nothing to do with flawed rosters? One thing I point to is how often this team has failed to show up on time this season and past seasons. That is on the coach, flawed roster or otherwise.

Remember Babcock? He was fired for many reasons but among them was not being able to make in game adjustments. Keefe suffers from this same issue and it's been glaring for a few seasons now.

Any coach was going to have decent to good record with the amount of talent on this roster but a very good coach finds ways to get the team to show up consistently on time and can make in game adjustments especially in the playoffs.

One last point. Holding players accountable is not something Keefe does well at all. If you can't keep the core 5-6 guys accountable, what does it matter if you healthy scratch Kampf or Reaves or any other bottom six player?

I can't remember who here mentioned that the Leafs get every team's best effort night in and night out....well, what do you expect? Especially in the playoffs.

Nobody is laying down for you just cause you're the Toronto Maple Leafs. Gotta go out and take it.
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 13 at 12:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
The roster is flawed but you know what has nothing to do with flawed rosters? One thing I point to is how often this team has failed to show up on time this season and past seasons. That is on the coach, flawed roster or otherwise.

Remember Babcock? He was fired for many reasons but among them was not being able to make in game adjustments. Keefe suffers from this same issue and it's been glaring for a few seasons now.

Any coach was going to have decent to good record with the amount of talent on this roster but a very good coach finds ways to get the team to show up consistently on time and can make in game adjustments especially in the playoffs.

One last point. Holding players accountable is not something Keefe does well at all. If you can't keep the core 5-6 guys accountable, what does it matter if you healthy scratch Kampf or Reaves or any other bottom six player?

I can't remember who here mentioned that the Leafs get every team's best effort night in and night out....well, what do you expect? Especially in the playoffs.

Nobody is laying down for you just cause you're the Toronto Maple Leafs. Gotta go out and take it.

In general Keefe's been HC since 2019 and has won 1 playoff series

Granted it was against a team who went to SCF 3 times in a row but thats not an impressive resume. And sure people will say what about reg season. Dean Evarson also had an impressive reg season record with wild and where he now...Fired

Keefe was gifted a team with 4 stars and was able to work with it. New GM comes adds 3-4 guys who arent fitting with his Keefe's system and now hes struggling?

Like if adding Bertuzzi, Domi, Gregor is causing this much confusion for the HC he should not be in the position. Good HC make adjustments to adapt their style to fit these guys

Brad should have fired the moment Berube became available but now its to late. This summer there is a real opportunity for a coaching change with Brid'Amour and Berube probs being available go get em. As I just dont see Keefe as a Tree guy nor does his system work with the guys Tree loves. He kept him to just keep things stable until better guys became available

Like I think this OS we gonna see 3 prime candidates for HC: Berube, Brid'Amour, Sullivan as I am in serious doubt Keefe makes it to 2024-2025 and if he does even with a roster fix with 2 new 4th liners, a top 4 Dman or two I wont have much confidence as he just gonna get outcoached again when it matters
oneX liked this.
Feb. 13 at 12:34 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Juice
I largely agree...but I think it's a combo of poor coaching and lack of depth. And it makes us way too easy to defend against in the playoffs. Would love an offseason where we re-shape this D-core and bring in a new coach that can put a better system in place (i'm still wishing upon a star for Brind'Amour)

I actually don't like Brind'Amour's offensive structure at all. It's chaos. Get in the zone and shoot from everywhere. When have guys like Nylander, Matthews and Marner, you want them to have the puck and keep it. Carolina just blasts away
Feb. 13 at 12:39 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I think you have to take into account the talent on this roster and how much they were/are going achieve certain successes based purely just on talent, regardless of who the coach is.

Also...the coach is supposed to maximize the talents and effort levels of the roster, not the other way around.

I thought Keefe should have been fired more than a year ago, nothing has changed because the same problems exist that were pointed out more than a year ago. The issue with firing Keefe right now is the choices for replacement are just not as appealing as when Bruce Cassidy was available for example.

How many games into this season? Keefe hasn't figured out which line he can send out blindly and be comfortable with said line settling things down. His words, not mine.

I would have taken a chance a few guys that got hired after Cassidy but your right.. Cassidy should have been target... #1

I'm convinced nothing is changing majorly here as long as Shanahan is in charge.
He will just veto a direction change and not let this organization take the next step.

Leafs should be selling off period, what we have right now is legitimately worse overall and the 1 year deals only spell that Treliving was trying to buy time on how to execute Shannys plan.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 13 at 4:49 p.m.
McMann Season
Any word on the DOPS hearing yet?
Feb. 13 at 5:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 13 at 8:11 p.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
Any word on the DOPS hearing yet?

5 games
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 13 at 5:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 13 at 5:45 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I would have taken a chance a few guys that got hired after Cassidy but your right.. Cassidy should have been target... #1

I'm convinced nothing is changing majorly here as long as Shanahan is in charge.
He will just veto a direction change and not let this organization take the next step.

Leafs should be selling off period, what we have right now is legitimately worse overall and the 1 year deals only spell that Treliving was trying to buy time on how to execute Shannys plan.

Heck even after Cassidy, there was Laviolette.

Rangers are 34-16-3 with him since the hiring. He also had a cup resume and lead NSH to SCF

And no the reason Brad did 1 year deals was due to the cap going up next year. Why sign long term at a lower price when they can get more next year

As 2024-2025 caps 87.7m more room for teams to spend thus more money for players. The plan probs was these guys play with the big boyz get a **** tonne of points then go make their money elsewhere or here the following year.

Smart on them to do it to bad Keefe be ruining things by hurting their numbers

I say keep everyone and just trade for term players or RFA's to build around

Brad wants 2 players if the 1st is involved so if he can swing a deal with CGY for both Hanifin and Tanev things gonna get interesting. Especially if he gets both extended

Rielly-Tanev
Hanifin-Brodie
McCabe-Liligren

Thats pretty good

Then next season

Rielly-Tanev
Hanifin-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe
Feb. 13 at 5:54 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Leafs shouldn't be trading for anyone.....But next year with Brodie, Giordano, Klingberg gone.....well surely the Leafs can spend 10m on get some quallity NHL Dmen (although with Treveling, I don't know if he is capable.
Domi, Bertuzzi probably gone....that another 8m to fill two spots. The salary cap increase covers Nylander and Matthews raises....somewhat...2m short
Feb. 13 at 6:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 13 at 6:13 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Leafs shouldn't be trading for anyone.....But next year with Brodie, Giordano, Klingberg gone.....well surely the Leafs can spend 10m on get some quallity NHL Dmen (although with Treveling, I don't know if he is capable.
Domi, Bertuzzi probably gone....that another 8m to fill two spots. The salary cap increase covers Nylander and Matthews raises....somewhat...2m short

Woulnt say that as lets say they traded for Hanifin then signed him to a 7m x 8 year extension thats not a bad use of a 1st

Or heck lets say they use the picks to get Jireck is that not a good trade. Top 10 prospect who aint happy in CBJ would try for that

This is the year to be smart. No rentals

Sure ROR + Acciari was cool but was rentals. Dubas should have tried to extend both

Brad has history with Hanifin so I believe he would be a guy who would extend here. Heck if u can pry Weegar out of CGY no need to worry as that guy got good chunk of term

And if we lookn at the Dcore before he left CGY if anyone can revamp the Leafs Dcore its Brad.

Weegar-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov (before traded)-Gilbert

But yea Leafs should look at what Van did. DET had an RFA Dman in Hronek traded a 1st added him and never looked back

Cause while some would say keep the picks and wait till FA. What if all the big names decide to sign elsewhere or we end up giving them way to big of a deal. As man this FA maybe have 3-4 good Dman choices then a bunch of gambles
Feb. 13 at 6:16 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Edited Feb. 13 at 6:54 p.m.
The Leafs "out" list:
- Rielly (Suspended)
- Timmins (Ilness)
- Woll (Ankle)
- Murray (Hip)
- Muzzin (Neck)
- Klingberg (Hip)
- Jones (Undisclosed)
- Jarnkrok (Hand)
- Marner (Ilness)
- Tavares (Ilness)

The leafs have a chance to win
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 13 at 6:27 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
The Leaf tax strikes again!
Feb. 13 at 7:22 p.m.
McMann Season
Anyone have the lineup combinations for tonight?
Feb. 13 at 8:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Man its hard to justify giving Liligren a long term deal

That kid is just confusing

One minute looks like a top 4 guy and another he looks like a third pair or AHL guy
Feb. 13 at 8:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
F in chat for McCabe's nose to lul
Feb. 13 at 8:14 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Yes, same with Bertuzzi and Domi

Like remember under Babcock how bad Barrie was. Then Keefe came in and immediately remedied the issue

I think those 3 would heavily benifit from a new HC.

Cause rn im scared Domi and Bertuzzi go to new teams next year utterly dominate and were just still stuck with Keefe. Cause there is a history of Keefe doing this stuff to players before they go somewhere else and thrive

Barabanov
Kubel
Vesey
Lafferty

List just goes on and it blows. And while those aint big names we soon probs gonna be adding Domi and Bertuzzi come 2024-2025

I think Bertuzzi is going to look for a term deal that pays him something that the Leafs can't afford. Domi could be back but also could sign elsewhere. The thing with Domi tho is that he grew up in that building and so does he pass up playing here vs possibly being a better fit somewhere else.
palhal and aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 13 at 8:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 13 at 8:33 p.m.
I think Bertuzzi is going to look for a term deal that pays him something that the Leafs can't afford. Domi could be back but also could sign elsewhere. The thing with Domi tho is that he grew up in that building and so does he pass up playing here vs possibly being a better fit somewhere else.

The one problem with Bertuzzi is idk with the season hes having whose gonna give him a lot of money. No joke he may just sign another 1 year deal this time in Boston at like 4m and go off again RIP us lul. Cause idk I think hes done here and it sucks as I felt he would be a solid piece but a combo of Keefe and luck seem to have hurt him

Like 3 solid grade A chances and no goals tonight for him lul. Kerfoot are you back lul

Domi I do see returning but its also up in the air based on ask. 3.5m sure anything highter no
oneX liked this.
Feb. 13 at 8:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Another reason why I think Domi is more needed is he plays centre. Leafs have no NHL depth after their top five. I haven't been impressed with Bertuzzi at all this year.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 13 at 8:19 p.m.
In general Keefe's been HC since 2019 and has won 1 playoff series

Granted it was against a team who went to SCF 3 times in a row but thats not an impressive resume. And sure people will say what about reg season. Dean Evarson also had an impressive reg season record with wild and where he now...Fired

Keefe was gifted a team with 4 stars and was able to work with it. New GM comes adds 3-4 guys who arent fitting with his Keefe's system and now hes struggling?

Like if adding Bertuzzi, Domi, Gregor is causing this much confusion for the HC he should not be in the position. Good HC make adjustments to adapt their style to fit these guys

Brad should have fired the moment Berube became available but now its to late. This summer there is a real opportunity for a coaching change with Brid'Amour and Berube probs being available go get em. As I just dont see Keefe as a Tree guy nor does his system work with the guys Tree loves. He kept him to just keep things stable until better guys became available

Like I think this OS we gonna see 3 prime candidates for HC: Berube, Brid'Amour, Sullivan as I am in serious doubt Keefe makes it to 2024-2025 and if he does even with a roster fix with 2 new 4th liners, a top 4 Dman or two I wont have much confidence as he just gonna get outcoached again when it matters

Brind'Amour and Sullivan are the interesting names but no guarantee either will be available as of right now.

Whoever takes over at whatever point has to sell the thought of showing up more nights on time than we've seen and more importantly raising your compete level especially in the playoffs.
Feb. 13 at 8:21 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Another reason why I think Domi is more needed is he plays centre. Leafs have no NHL depth after their top five. I haven't been impressed with Bertuzzi at all this year.

He plays C but not well enough. Might have to look at other players for the C position.
Trickster liked this.
Feb. 13 at 8:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Brind'Amour and Sullivan are the interesting names but no guarantee either will be available as of right now.

Whoever takes over at whatever point has to sell the thought of showing up more nights on time than we've seen and more importantly raising your compete level especially in the playoffs.

I think Leafs could pry Brind from CAR but its gonna be expensive. Hurricanes dont like spending alot and apparently dont want to pay him more than 2m

Offer 5m probs can get him
oneX liked this.
Feb. 13 at 8:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
He plays C but not well enough. Might have to look at other players for the C position.

Idk I think Domi has been fine at C. The moment he really showed his stuff was the Pitt game when he and Marner were fire
oneX liked this.
Feb. 13 at 8:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

True, but Leafs really have to find one for about 3m. Kampf and Holmberg round out the top 5.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 13 at 9:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Bobby McMann having himself a nice little game

Meanwhile Bertuzzi just cant buy a goal rn lul
Feb. 13 at 9:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Man its hard to justify giving Liligren a long term deal

That kid is just confusing

One minute looks like a top 4 guy and another he looks like a third pair or AHL guy

That's a bottom 4 guy - almost by definition lmao

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll