SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 23 at 1:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
Lose 4 in a row and we all want the coach fired and to sell at the deadline

6 game winning streak and nobody is mentioning keefe and everyone is ready to buy

what a magical thing it is to be a fan

Keefe along with the team seem to have woke up after what Rielly did. He finally made some adjustments and they worked. As man it was looking ugly for a while and some of those losses u could kind of point to him for not adjusting or calming his team

Like the one sour game hes got out of the 6 is PHI where they blew a 3-1 lead

But the ARI game was good for him as notice when ARI was getting a bit to strong momentum wise he called a time out to settle things down and it kind of worked. Then whatever he said in the intermission also worked

Then against VGK almost the same but no need for a timeout. Team responded well

Now keep going
oneX liked this.
Feb. 23 at 1:39 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Keefe along with the team seem to have woke up after what Rielly did. He finally made some adjustments and they worked. As man it was looking ugly for a while and some of those losses u could kind of point to him for not adjusting or calming his team

But the ARI game was good for him as notice when ARI was getting a bit to strong momentum wise he called a time out to settle things down and it kind of worked. Then whatever he said in the intermission also worked

Now keep going

I think the flu bug hitting a few key guys gave him the excuse to move guys (ahem...JT)...out of his regular spot in the lineup and it's worked out well spreading some skill around.

That and getting competent goaltending while Matthews goes on a ridiculous scoring spree helps make everything look a little rosier.

I still think we're better off if we just find a Schenn/Lybushkin type partner for Rielly and a PK'ing bottom 6 forward...all without using our 1st our key prospects. Modestly enhance without any type of "all in".
Feb. 23 at 4:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 23 at 6:03 p.m.
So here's the puzzle we need to solve

Per Friedman

Leafs are eying a top 4 right shot Dman: So based on that rules out Hanifin and Chycrun (Chycrun can play right though but u get it)

Leafs dont want to trade their 1st for a rental: So unless he comes with an extension rules out Tanev

Well this be my guess

Adam_Larsson_closeup_2023.png

HM: Parayko (blues ret 1.5m), Rasmus Andersson, Nick Jensen, Dante Fabbro
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 23 at 5:14 p.m.
So here's the puzzle we need to solve

Per Friedman

Leafs are eying a top 4 right shot Dman: So based on that rules out Hanifin and Chycrun (Chycrun can play right though but u get it)

Leafs dont want to trade their 1st for a rental: So unless he comes with an extension rules out Tanev

Well this be my guess

Adam_Larsson_closeup_2023.png

HM: Parayko (blues ret 1.5m), Nick Jensen, Dante Fabbro

This is the time of year when every GM says what they "don't" want to trade away. And I'm sure it's true...it just means the value has to be there in order for them to move off that stance.

D that can play the right side and a PKing bottom 6 forward appears to be the wish list.

If we could attached a Poehling or Hathaway to a Walker or Seeler from Philly we'd be walking away with two of the leagues top PKers which would be worth moving the 1st + for.

For me...gotta plug 2 holes (with at least one of those pieces not on an expiring deal) if a first is going the other way.
Feb. 23 at 5:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 23 at 5:34 p.m.
This is the time of year when every GM says what they "don't" want to trade away. And I'm sure it's true...it just means the value has to be there in order for them to move off that stance.

D that can play the right side and a PKing bottom 6 forward appears to be the wish list.

If we could attached a Poehling or Hathaway to a Walker or Seeler from Philly we'd be walking away with two of the leagues top PKers which would be worth moving the 1st + for.

For me...gotta plug 2 holes (with at least one of those pieces not on an expiring deal) if a first is going the other way.

Honestly a SEA/TOR trade for Larsson and Tatar aint a bad move

Tatar at 50% ret is 750k and is not a bad 2-way wing

Basically come playoffs

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Tatar-JT-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Larsson
Brodie-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe

Extras: Gio, Reaves, Jones
Feb. 23 at 8:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Honestly a SEA/TOR trade for Larsson and Tatar aint a bad move

Tatar at 50% ret is 750k and is not a bad 2-way wing

Basically come playoffs

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Bertuzzi-Domi-Nylander
Tatar-JT-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-McMann

Rielly-Larsson
Brodie-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe

Extras: Gio, Reaves, Jones

Nah actually you know what figure out how to get SEA Tanev + Larsson
Feb. 23 at 11:12 p.m.
McMann Season
Easton Cowan has scored in 25 games straight, tying the London Knights record
Juice and Random2152 liked this.
Feb. 23 at 11:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 23 at 11:22 p.m.
Watched Woll with the Marlies dont think its gonna be long now

36/37 not bad
Feb. 23 at 11:34 p.m.

6 game winning streak and nobody is mentioning keefe and everyone is ready to buy

Now keep going

A 6 game winning streak hasn't really convinced me this team can figure it out in the playoffs.

If this current effort was consistent through most of the season, I'd be more optimistic about the playoffs but this team can lose 4 straight and we'll have some of the same complaints we've had all season.
Feb. 24 at 12:18 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: CameronSquires
Easton Cowan has scored in 25 games straight, tying the London Knights record

They play the 67s today at 3 if you guys want to find a (totally) legal stream 😉😉😉😉😉 to watch him break the record.

If you want a (totally) legal stream to watch it, DM me on twitter (same name)
CameronSquires liked this.
Feb. 24 at 3:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Mar 2, 2024

Reaves vs. Rempe

Gonna be interesting
Feb. 24 at 4:26 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Random2152
They play the 67s today at 3 if you guys want to find a (totally) legal stream 😉😉😉😉😉 to watch him break the record.

If you want a (totally) legal stream to watch it, DM me on twitter (same name)

Cowen scored. 26 game streak baby
CameronSquires liked this.
Feb. 24 at 4:37 p.m.
McMann Season
Cowan scores to make it 3-1. He has the new franchise record
Feb. 24 at 5:31 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Baffling to me how little discussion there is about Niemela outside of fans wanting to trade him. He's been so good this year with the Marlies and could be a real difference maker with the Leafs. That kid is so good and in my opinion he's our best prospect
palhal and Juice liked this.
Feb. 24 at 5:38 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Baffling to me how little discussion there is about Niemela outside of fans wanting to trade him. He's been so good this year with the Marlies and could be a real difference maker with the Leafs. That kid is so good and in my opinion he's our best prospect

One reason I don't want Niemela traded for a rental either. Brodie, Giordano are gone next year, McCabe the the following season.
Feb. 24 at 5:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 24 at 5:57 p.m.

Niemela is good but has got growing to do along with other things and when he comes will probs be a third pair guy for a few years.

Leafs be in win now not wait and see. I get the potential but there be some guys available I would heavily explore and hes gonna be needed to get em

If Niemela can help get you a Rasmus Andersson im taking that
Feb. 24 at 5:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
One reason I don't want Niemela traded for a rental either. Brodie, Giordano are gone next year, McCabe the the following season.

Niemela wont be here next season though and McCabe probs gets extended

In general hes probs trade bait. Not for a rental but if they eyeing Rasmus Andersson, Adam Larsson, or someone with term hes going the other way especially if Cowen and Minten be off limits
Feb. 24 at 6:01 p.m.
Rip

I still think Keefe is a problem. It is always more apparent in the playoffs when he doesn't adjust and the same things kill the team every series.
Juice liked this.
Feb. 24 at 6:03 p.m.
Rip
I think the flu bug hitting a few key guys gave him the excuse to move guys (ahem...JT)...out of his regular spot in the lineup and it's worked out well spreading some skill around.

That and getting competent goaltending while Matthews goes on a ridiculous scoring spree helps make everything look a little rosier.

I still think we're better off if we just find a Schenn/Lybushkin type partner for Rielly and a PK'ing bottom 6 forward...all without using our 1st our key prospects. Modestly enhance without any type of "all in".

That's entirely why Keefe looks like a good coach. He came here and basically just implemented a smarter system but also just gave the keys to Matthews and Marner and plays them as much as humanly possible. They are so good that they won a lot. Keefe hinders development all over the lineup and railroads guys and plays his favorites way too much. Sending Matthews over the boards isn't good coaching, it's just being super lucky to have such a player.
Feb. 24 at 6:04 p.m.
Rip
Niemela wont be here next season though and McCabe probs gets extended

In general hes probs trade bait. Not for a rental but if they eyeing Rasmus Andersson, Adam Larsson, or someone with term hes going the other way especially if Cowen and Minten be off limits

Niemela is going to be a solid NHLer, trading him will be a mistake. Unless you are getting a 25-27 year old top pair defenceman with grit. It's a waste of assets
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Feb. 24 at 6:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 24 at 6:24 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
Niemela is going to be a solid NHLer, trading him will be a mistake. Unless you are getting a 25-27 year old top pair defenceman with grit. It's a waste of assets

Im not overly concerned with grit we have that with some of the other guys here.

The goal should be just finding a partner for Rielly or a top 4 RD in general who can move the puck, play good defense, and contribute some offense. As come playoffs it cant just be Rielly.

Rasmus Andersson or Adam Larsson for instance would be welcomed additions and if the other team asks for Niemela pack your bags get er done

Cause

Rielly-Larsson
Brodie-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe

or

Rielly-Liligren
Brodie-Andersson
Benoit-McCabe

Would be nice pairings
Feb. 24 at 6:48 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Im not overly concerned with grit we have that with some of the other guys here.

The goal should be just finding a partner for Rielly or a top 4 RD in general who can move the puck, play good defense, and contribute some offense. As come playoffs it cant just be Rielly.

Rasmus Andersson or Adam Larsson for instance would be welcomed additions and if the other team asks for Niemela pack your bags get er done

Cause

Rielly-Larsson
Brodie-Liligren
Benoit-McCabe

or

Rielly-Liligren
Brodie-Andersson
Benoit-McCabe

Would be nice pairings

Give Niemela 2 years and that's what he will be. People miscast him as being a small offensive defenseman, but that could not be further from the truth. His defensive game, IQ, edge work, and transition ability are all at an NHL level. I can't remember the last time the Leafs drafted a defenseman that was a legit 2 way threat like Niemela. He's a special talent and no one gives him his flowers.

Our window will not be closed in 2 years time. Injecting a guy like that into the lineup will be hugely beneficial. There are not many defenseman that I'm trading Niemela for.
RipNasty liked this.
Feb. 24 at 6:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 24 at 7:02 p.m.
Give Niemela 2 years and that's what he will be. People miscast him as being a small offensive defenseman, but that could not be further from the truth. His defensive game, IQ, edge work, and transition ability are all at an NHL level. I can't remember the last time the Leafs drafted a defenseman that was a legit 2 way threat like Niemela. He's a special talent and no one gives him his flowers.

Our window will not be closed in 2 years time. Injecting a guy like that into the lineup will be hugely beneficial. There are not many defenseman that I'm trading Niemela for.

Team dont got a big window and there is little to no guarantee he will be a good partner for Rielly

There be to many unknowns and gambles. Get someone actually established in the role who we know can play 20+ mins a night, kill penalties, move the puck, and drive offense, not a rookie who Keefe will have to shelter and who may get outmuscled for the puck over and over.

Look at the Muzzin trade. Yes Muzzin went through injuries at the end but Leafs traded Durzi and never looked back. Muzzin was such a good Dman and it sucks his career ended the way it did as hes a guy we could use rn.

Were in win now not wait and see. As lets say we bring him up and he dont work with Rielly then what?

Remember Liligren how many years did it take him to finally get to where he is. We cant just assume Niemela gonna come and immediately be a top pair guy here with Rielly or even top 4. Its to many ifs ands or buts rn.

If Rasmus Andersson is available and CGY asks for 1st + 3rd and Niemela done.
Feb. 24 at 7:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Man our PK has become a problem again

Get the puck out lul
Feb. 24 at 7:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Were getting dummied by the Avs

That second goal just be ew as man Rielly and Brodie got embarrassed

Now like last time I hope this leads to what we saw when we faced them where we were up 3-0 then they came back. Do it to them

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll