Forums/Armchair-GM

Flyers unrealistic offseason

Created by: flyersflock
Team: 2024-25 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 6, 2024
Published: Feb. 6, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
For the DeMelo contract, that could definitely age poorly but man is he good. He's playing some tough minutes too, he's a guy I could see being underpaid by a lot for sure. Instead of forcing Risto into 2nd pairing minutes, why not stick with what's worked? Good news is even if he's overpaid (i don't believe he is) it's not going to matter for the Michkov years since he'd be on an ELC. I'd consider paying more if his market value is greater (I'm not exactly sure what it should be, but as a 30yo I think that's about fair)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,400,000
2$1,300,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
3$5,100,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Buium, Zeev
3$950,000
Parekh, Zayne
3$950,000
Trades
PHI
  1. 2025 1st round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Laughton, Scott
Additional Details:
Flyers reportedly looking for a 1st. With Monahan deal just happening plus term we're just assuming the reports are correct
PHI
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
Dallas used 7D last playoff (all 10+ GP). I could see them doing that again, plus Seeler is fantastic as a low-end 2nd high end 3rd pairing D. All for league min
DAL
    Seeler
    PHI
    1. Zegras, Trevor
    Additional Details:
    I'm aware they just traded Drysdale, but I think this can work for both teams. 3OA pick (Lindstrom/Eiserman/Demidov I'm guessing), Carlsson, Gauthier, McTavish, Terry is already a scary top six. Plus Vatrano is pretty good too. To me Zegras becomes a luxury

Instead they get someone who projects to be a top four D with picks along with it. Is this fair?
    ANA
    1. Bonk, Oliver
    2. 2025 1st round pick (VGK)
    3. 2025 3rd round pick (DAL)
    Additional Details:
    The Flyers are getting someone comparable to Tippett with better offensive upside and one who (can) play center. No defense, all offense is what the Flyers need.

With these other trades, you'll see why that makes sense
    PHI
    1. 2025 3rd round pick (MIN)
    Additional Details:
    Good PKer, good net-front guy at this point but not much else. Admittedly I'd be a bit surprised if the Flyers can get anything for him but for a third it's not going to kill Minnesota, I guess. IMO their bottom six is atrocious so Atkinson could maybe even move up to 2nd line
    MIN
    1. Atkinson, Cam ($2,937,500 retained)
    PHI
    1. 2026 3rd round pick (VAN)
    Additional Details:
    Again let me know if I'm wrong, but I could see Calgary wanting to get tougher this offseason. To me they just look like a four line team now. They have a bit of a 2020-2021 isles look to them. They could be a good team next season if Coleman, Zary continue doing what they're doing and Kuzmenko bounces back

I'd be surprised if the Flames are blowing it up. Especially since it's something they didn't do in the Iginla era
    PHI
    1. 2024 1st round pick (BUF)
    Additional Details:
    This is eighth overall right now

Flyers take Zeev Buium
    BUF
    1. Bjarnason, Carson
    2. 2024 1st round pick (PHI)
    3. 2024 2nd round pick (CBJ)
    4. 2026 3rd round pick (VAN)
    Additional Details:
    For what is 18th overall right now but likely goes up. Buffalo getting more prospects could help them. I don't really think they need to land an elite D in this year's class so this just makes sense to me. Likely an early second, a 3rd AND Bjarnason to trade up maybe 10 spots at most? Not bad for Buffalo, but lmk if there should be more
    PHI
    1. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
    Additional Details:
    There's your Ceci replacement! The first round pick rumors for Walker should be that way. He's playing 2nd line d minutes and competition and playing very well in that role. No brainer for Edmonton IMO especially since Tampa is reportedly interested, but let me know if this is too much
    EDM
      Walker
      PHI
      1. 2024 1st round pick (ARI)
      Additional Details:
      You can definitely debate this one. This pick is 10OA for two picks likely to be late firsts and a third. But Arizona loves reaching for players, anyway. I think a second in this one (especially the Anaheim one) makes it an absolute yes but I don't think that's needed, this is just fair to me. Is it too little?

Also, Flyers take Zayne Parekh
      ARI
      1. 2024 1st round pick (FLA)
      2. 2024 1st round pick (EDM)
      3. 2025 3rd round pick (MIN)
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the BUF
      Logo of the ARI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the LAK
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the ANA
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the CAR
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      Logo of the PHI
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$87,700,000$87,714,761$245,000$32,500-$14,761

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 4
      Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
      $5,750,000$5,750,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 2
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $6,200,000$6,200,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 8
      $7,750,000$7,750,000
      C
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $830,833$830,833 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
      RW
      RFA - 2
      $863,333$863,333
      RW
      RFA - 1
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      C
      RFA - 1
      $2,400,000$2,400,000
      RW
      RFA
      $1,900,000$1,900,000
      C, LW
      UFA - 2
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C, RW
      UFA
      $2,625,000$2,625,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $6,250,000$6,250,000
      LD/RD
      NTC
      UFA - 7
      $2,300,000$2,300,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $1,450,000$1,450,000
      G
      RFA - 2
      $1,600,000$1,600,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      $5,100,000$5,100,000
      RD
      UFA
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $1,300,000$1,300,000
      LD/RD
      RFA
      $5,100,000$5,100,000
      RD
      UFA - 3
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $1,750,000$1,750,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $6,250,000$6,250,000
      RD
      UFA - 3
      $775,000$775,000
      RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Feb. 6 at 4:25 p.m.
      18 lotteries, 0 wins
      i would love zegras in the metro. beef beef beef. but torts won't like him
      Feb. 6 at 4:29 p.m.
      0 interest from ANA
      GiggywithGibby and flyersflock liked this.
      Feb. 6 at 4:31 p.m.
      Quoting: AndrewPawlack
      i would love zegras in the metro. beef beef beef. but torts won't like him

Torts cooled off the Zegras hate train a little while back. I'm sure he wouldn't love it at times but Torts gets say in trades to my knowledge, he's basically a GM
      AndrewPawlack liked this.
      Feb. 6 at 4:32 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Vatrano doesn't make Zegras a luxury, he was a FA signing and while extremely likeable and fitting well in the system, is not a long term piece of this roster.

If we're trading Zegras to Philly, we're extracting Bonk, Foerster, and Philly's first.
      flyersflock liked this.
      Feb. 6 at 4:33 p.m.
      Quoting: Jded
      0 interest from ANA

just so i know is there a specific reason why? obviously he's a good player but if their top six is something like:

Gauthier-Carlsson-Demidov
      X-McTavish-Terry

down the line, is Zegras that vital to the team? that's just what i was thinking. if it's the value i totally get that
      Feb. 6 at 4:35 p.m.
      Quoting: GiggywithGibby
      Vatrano doesn't make Zegras a luxury, he was a FA signing and while extremely likeable and fitting well in the system, is not a long term piece of this roster.

If we're trading Zegras to Philly, we're extracting Bonk, Foerster, and Philly's first.

maybe i worded it poorly but i was more so thinking Demidov/Eiserman and Gauthier made him a luxury

that package makes sense but to be honest if I'm anaheim i stay away from foerster. i don't see him as a first line forward ever but that's what the trade value would be
      Feb. 6 at 4:39 p.m.
      Found Fletchers burner account /s
      Feb. 6 at 5:08 p.m.
      See you space cowboy
      All offense no defense sounds terrible. Look how well its worked our for Edmonton.
      Feb. 6 at 5:17 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Quoting: flyersflock
      maybe i worded it poorly but i was more so thinking Demidov/Eiserman and Gauthier made him a luxury

that package makes sense but to be honest if I'm anaheim i stay away from foerster. i don't see him as a first line forward ever but that's what the trade value would be

I view him as potential second line guy, I'd prefer Tippet but that sweetheart deal he just signed jumped his value and I would assume he's untouchable after that.
      Feb. 6 at 5:37 p.m.
      just so i know is there a specific reason why? obviously he's a good player but if their top six is something like:

X-McTavish-Terry

down the line, is Zegras that vital to the team? that's just what i was thinking. if it's the value i totally get that

He’s absolutely vital. We have a dearth of scoring wingers, and he was one of our best the last 2 years as a 20 and 21 year old. We’d be unloading one of the things we need most.

Even in your example top 6 where you assume we take Demidov and that he pans out, we have a gap exactly where Z fits as a top 6 LW (and on top of that my expectation/hope is that we take Levshunov). Without Demidov, we have 2 huge holes.

On top of that, the value is also short. To be enticing for Z it’d need to be closer to a ~7ishOA ‘24 pick and Bonk. Not a late ‘25 1st and a 3rd.
      flyersflock liked this.
      Feb. 6 at 5:48 p.m.

X-McTavish-Terry

For one, there is no reason to think they'll take Demidov. It's more likely they take Levshunov or Silayev IMO.

As to the value, Bonk is a fine piece for Zegras but trying to push the pick to Vegas' 2025 1st is just not appealing. The pick is a year too late and in the wrong half of the round (25+ likely). Philly's first in 2024 would be a must.
      flyersflock liked this.
      Feb. 6 at 6:36 p.m.
      Quoting: CHAR
      For one, there is no reason to think they'll take Demidov. It's more likely they take Levshunov or Silayev IMO.

As to the value, Bonk is a fine piece for Zegras but trying to push the pick to Vegas' 2025 1st is just not appealing. The pick is a year too late and in the wrong half of the round (25+ likely). Philly's first in 2024 would be a must.

Why'd they trade Drysdale if they're just going to draft another D over the high upside forwards at that spot? Verbeek confuses me if he's taking Levshunov, ESPECIALLY Silayev since he's another LHD
      Feb. 6 at 6:37 p.m.
      Quoting: Jded
      He’s absolutely vital. We have a dearth of scoring wingers, and he was one of our best the last 2 years as a 20 and 21 year old. We’d be unloading one of the things we need most.

Even in your example top 6 where you assume we take Demidov and that he pans out, we have a gap exactly where Z fits as a top 6 LW (and on top of that my expectation/hope is that we take Levshunov). Without Demidov, we have 2 huge holes.

On top of that, the value is also short. To be enticing for Z it’d need to be closer to a ~7ishOA ‘24 pick and Bonk. Not a late ‘25 1st and a 3rd.

I might have to rethink Konecny's value I suppose. That's the value for him in this economy? Sheesh, they could get so much for Konecny
      Feb. 6 at 6:40 p.m.
      Quoting: GiggywithGibby
      I view him as potential second line guy, I'd prefer Tippet but that sweetheart deal he just signed jumped his value and I would assume he's untouchable after that.

i'd assume the same. honestly i see zegras as a slightly better version of tippett which is why i offered so little (i thought it was too much, actually but i still went that high)

at that point the ducks would hang onto him because no team but the flyers would ever think about giving that up, just because of the unique position of their rebuild
      Feb. 6 at 7:32 p.m.
      I might have to rethink Konecny's value I suppose. That's the value for him in this economy? Sheesh, they could get so much for Konecny

He’s a 22 year old back-to-back 60pt scorer on a reasonable RFA controlled contract. When UFA veterans like Monahan and Lindholm net 1st + ‘meh’ prospect, the value doesn’t seem outlandish at all. Blue chip pieces for blue chip pieces (just like the Drysdale Gauthier trade)
      Feb. 6 at 7:39 p.m.
      Why'd they trade Drysdale if they're just going to draft another D over the high upside forwards at that spot? Verbeek confuses me if he's taking Levshunov, ESPECIALLY Silayev since he's another LHD

In the NHL you draft BPA if you are smart. It's easy to assume that Verbeek likes one or the other defender better than Drysdale and Gauthier better than the forwards. Remember that Drysdale wasn't a Verbeek pick nor does he fit the physical profile the GMPV covets.

WRT to Silayev. If you think he's in the same caliber as Hedman or Makar (ie a true #1 capable of winning the Norris) you draft him regardless of left or right. I'm not claiming he's that good but if the Ducks draft him it's a sure sign that they do think that. The Ducks have lots of good left D but nobody in that range. Fowler has been the Ducks top LHD for a long time and I don't think any one would argue with me saying he's a #2 or even a #3 guy at best. Mintyukov and Zellweger I think will both top out like Fowler.

The best path to winning a cup includes having a #1 D. Or two. Nothing was better than the Ducks cup winning team with Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger on it.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll