Forums/Armchair-GM

Growing Pain

Created by: BrianCampbell
Team: 2023-24 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 7, 2024
Published: Feb. 9, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hawks decide to send young guns down to AHL. Make a deep playoff run, gain experience of winning games, playing games that matter. A few minor moves at the TDL. This is the lineup remaining.

These games would be PAINFUL. But I'm in it for the long haul and I think it would be best long term.
Trades
CHI
  1. Johansen, Ryan
  2. 2025 3rd round pick (COL)
  3. 2026 3rd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
Could be any cap dump with 1-2 years remaining
COL
CHI
  1. Jones, Caleb
Additional Details:
Could be any cap dump/depth D/8th defenseman teams are looking to move
COL
    FC
    CHI
    1. 2025 3rd round pick (LAK)
    Additional Details:
    Could be any team. Less than a 3rd and hawks probably keep him for remainder of the season.
    CHI
    1. Tarasenko, Vladimir
    Additional Details:
    Hawks are 3rd team in trade
    OTT
    CHI
    1. 2024 4th round pick (BOS)
    BOS
    1. Tarasenko, Vladimir ($2,500,000 retained)
    CHI
    1. 2026 3rd round pick (NYR)
    Additional Details:
    Could be any team, hear NYR often on X
    NYR
    1. Johnson, Tyler ($2,500,000 retained)
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$83,500,000$74,868,040$0$0$8,631,960
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,650,000$2,650,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,150,000$4,150,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $758,333$758,333
    LW
    RFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $758,333$758,333
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $3,800,000$3,800,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $883,750$883,750
    G
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $775,000$775,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 9 at 12:19 p.m.
    I don't see there being much of a trade market for Blackwell.
    Newgod77 liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 12:36 p.m.
    "Hawks decide to send young guns down to AHL. Make a deep playoff run, gain experience of winning games, playing games that matter. "

This never happens. Playing meaningless games in the AHL is not going to help their development. Playing games against actual NHL players willl.

Trades.
    1. Maybe this get's it done with 2 3rds. But I think it is gonna take at least a 2nd to make this happen for Hawks.
    2. No to Caleb Jones.
    3. Lucky if we are getting a 4th/5th for Blackwell.
    4/5. Not worth retaining for a 4th when we have other players we can retain on.
    6. This is a deal that I can see happening. Maybe not with NYR, but some team.
    Hawksguy81 liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 12:48 p.m.
    Avs won't likely be moving out any depth D unless they're bringing some in. Avs decline to move RyJo for that price.
    Feb. 9 at 1:17 p.m.
    Hawks aren't sending Vlasic back to Rockford. Bedard and Korchinski can't go to Rockford. They'd have to go back to the WHL. That ain't happening either. No chance Caleb Jones is coming back either.
    klassic liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 1:41 p.m.
    Quoting: klassic
    This never happens. Playing meaningless games in the AHL is not going to help their development. Playing games against actual NHL players willl.

I couldn't disagree with you more, on this.

Quoting: Hawksguy81
    Hawks aren't sending Vlasic back to Rockford. Bedard and Korchinski can't go to Rockford. They'd have to go back to the WHL. That ain't happening either. No chance Caleb Jones is coming back either.

They can play in Rockford if their Junior clubs seasons are over.
    BrianCampbell liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 2:17 p.m.
    Quoting: Garak

While that is true, the players in discussion here have NHL professional contracts. To play in the AHL after their Junior season ends they have to sign an Amateur contract with the AHL. A player cannot sign both an NHL ELC and an AHL contract. So Bedard and Korchinski cannot play in the AHL except on a conditioning stint.
    Hawksguy81 liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 2:26 p.m.

Pretty sure the WHL regular season doesn't conclude until late March. Well after the TDL. And to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, a guy has to be on the AHL roster on 3/1(?? I might be off a few days on this date).
    Feb. 9 at 2:32 p.m.
    Edited Feb. 9 at 2:42 p.m.
    While that is true, the players in discussion here have NHL professional contracts. To play in the AHL after their Junior season ends they have to sign an Amateur contract with the AHL. A player cannot sign both an NHL ELC and an AHL contract. So Bedard and Korchinski cannot play in the AHL except on a conditioning stint.

That's not a thing. Players with NHL ELC's can play in the AHL after their junior season is over. The AHL is a professional league. The only time they need an AHL tryout is when they don't have an ELC. And the only time it needs to be on a conditioning stint is during their junior clubs season to bypass their claim on the player for a set amount of games. But their junior club has no claim once their season is over. Which means there is nothing stopping an NHL club from sending players down there. Now, Bedard being only 18 might pose a problem. But Korchinski, at 19 years old, should be able to play in the AHL no problem once Seattles season is done.
    BrianCampbell liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 2:38 p.m.
    Edited Feb. 9 at 2:56 p.m.
    Pretty sure the WHL regular season doesn't conclude until late March. Well after the TDL. And to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, a guy has to be on the AHL roster on 3/1(?? I might be off a few days on this date).

As far as being on the roster by 3/1 for playoff eligibility, I did not know that. But it looks like you are correct. I guess I wasn't assuming everyone would be sent down before then, either. I wonder if a conditioning stint counts as "being on the roster by 2pm Central on 3/1". Edit: Also, it looks like it is 2pm on TDL day.

Either way, I don't think this rhetoric about players "Not being able to learn anything in the AHL or juniors" is true, at all. And honestly, in my opinion, players shouldn't even touch the NHL until they are ready and should be on a short leash to get sent back down, and a culture of positivity around playing in the AHL needs to be nurtured as to not make it seem like a bad thing, because it isn't a bad thing. The whole point of waiver exemption is for their development.
    Hawksguy81 and BrianCampbell liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 4:05 p.m.
    As far as being on the roster by 3/1 for playoff eligibility, I did not know that. But it looks like you are correct. I guess I wasn't assuming everyone would be sent down before then, either. I wonder if a conditioning stint counts as "being on the roster by 2pm Central on 3/1". Edit: Also, it looks like it is 2pm on TDL day.

Either way, I don't think this rhetoric about players "Not being able to learn anything in the AHL or juniors" is true, at all. And honestly, in my opinion, players shouldn't even touch the NHL until they are ready and should be on a short leash to get sent back down, and a culture of positivity around playing in the AHL needs to be nurtured as to not make it seem like a bad thing, because it isn't a bad thing. The whole point of waiver exemption is for their development.

I agree with what your saying in general. For players like Reichel, Phillips, Guttman, maybe even Soderblom, sure this approach could make some sense. I don't see any benefit for Bedsy, Korch and Vlasic though. Better for all 3 to play out the full season in the NHL.
    Feb. 9 at 5:27 p.m.
    That's not a thing. Players with NHL ELC's can play in the AHL after their junior season is over. The AHL is a professional league. The only time they need an AHL tryout is when they don't have an ELC. And the only time it needs to be on a conditioning stint is during their junior clubs season to bypass their claim on the player for a set amount of games. But their junior club has no claim once their season is over. Which means there is nothing stopping an NHL club from sending players down there. Now, Bedard being only 18 might pose a problem. But Korchinski, at 19 years old, should be able to play in the AHL no problem once Seattles season is done.

"Players who are restricted from playing in the minors during the season are allowed to play in the minors on an amateur contract after their junior team's season ends. The same rules still apply to the player the following season."
    https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2021/08/17/nhl-chl-transfer-agreement-faq-rules-penguins-tlh
    Garak liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 5:30 p.m.
    Reichel played 111 games in AHL and scored 108 points. How much more is there for him to learn there?
    Feb. 9 at 6:48 p.m.
    Reichel played 111 games in AHL and scored 108 points. How much more is there for him to learn there?

Points are not everything. He has been asked to add all sorts of new aspects to his game since the season began that he hasn't gotten the hang of. He obviously has a lot to work on. Also, he never got a chance to get used to the 10-15 lbs he put on over the summer. So, he could go down and regain some confidence, figure out how to work those new aspects into his game, and figure out how to do it all with the changes to his body. It could take enough pressure off for him to get his game back and work on those new skills. It is far from uncommon for waiver exempt players to get sent down to work on things. What makes Reichel's struggles any different from Kurashev's when he was sent down? This whole narrative that he can't learn anything is baseless and stems from fans and media members being impatient.

"Players who are restricted from playing in the minors during the season are allowed to play in the minors on an amateur contract after their junior team's season ends. The same rules still apply to the player the following season."
    https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2021/08/17/nhl-chl-transfer-agreement-faq-rules-penguins-tlh

Interesting. But, that part of the transfer agreement seems to pertain to drafted players who are playing in juniors and their season ends who do not already have an NHL contract. Either way, @Hawksguy81 pointed out that, in order for a player to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, they must be on the AHL roster by 2pm on the day of the trade deadline. Which is why a lot of teams will do a simple paper transaction "sending their young players down to the AHL" right around the deadline so those players can join the AHL club for their playoff run. One thing I am unclear on is if a conditioning stint counts toward that eligibility or not. Because, as we already discussed, the only way a U-20 CHL player can join the AHL club is on a conditioning stint.

Either way, I am still hoping the entire CHL agreement is revamped in their upcoming discussions. Teams would more than likely elect to send most down to junior anyway. Maybe a special circumstances amendment could be made to the rule, and/or a limit on how many CHL players a team can place on an AHL roster.
    klassic liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 6:52 p.m.
    I agree with what your saying in general. For players like Reichel, Phillips, Guttman, maybe even Soderblom, sure this approach could make some sense. I don't see any benefit for Bedsy, Korch and Vlasic though. Better for all 3 to play out the full season in the NHL.

I'm saying it'd be nice for them to join the AHL club when their NHL season is over and go play some meaningful games in a competitive environment. But even joining sooner wouldn't hurt, going and dominating and building chemistry and dominating and working on specific things can benefit any player. They aren't any different. They are human too. Plus, there aren't many players down there right now that we should be worried about taking ice time away from. More ice time is always better and it is still a top hockey league in the world. What could it hurt, is the better question.
    Feb. 9 at 7:35 p.m.
    Either way, I am still hoping the entire CHL agreement is revamped in their upcoming discussions. Teams would more than likely elect to send most down to junior anyway. Maybe a special circumstances amendment could be made to the rule, and/or a limit on how many CHL players a team can place on an AHL roster.

While it might be better for a handful of players: Bedard, Korchinski, Leo Carlsson, etc. The vast majority are better served with time in Juniors. But I don't think a revamp is going to happen.
    1. The CHL needs the best players it can get to market these teams.
    2. I think NHL would send more players to AHL for better control on their development.
    3. Better players in Juniors mean there is better competition to develop the mid-tier players.

I think this is why you are seeing an uptick in Canadian players opting for the NCAA route. To have more control over their future.
    Feb. 9 at 7:47 p.m.
    Interesting. But, that part of the transfer agreement seems to pertain to drafted players who are playing in juniors and their season ends who do not already have an NHL contract. Either way, Hawksguy81 pointed out that, in order for a player to be eligible for the AHL playoffs, they must be on the AHL roster by 2pm on the day of the trade deadline. Which is why a lot of teams will do a simple paper transaction "sending their young players down to the AHL" right around the deadline so those players can join the AHL club for their playoff run. One thing I am unclear on is if a conditioning stint counts toward that eligibility or not. Because, as we already discussed, the only way a U-20 CHL player can join the AHL club is on a conditioning stint.

I don't think you could do it with a conditioning stint. Teams make "paper" transactions at the deadline to give players AHL playoff eligibility. Send to AHL on paper at 2pm deadline. Recall to NHL at 2:01pm. You would have to have a CHL only eligible player that is injured, and only ready to make a comeback at the deadline. And then while you might be able to send them down for a conditioning stint (2 games typically). You would NOT be able to send them down later. They can't sign an amateur contract.
    Garak liked this.
    Feb. 9 at 9:00 p.m.
    I don't think you could do it with a conditioning stint. Teams make "paper" transactions at the deadline to give players AHL playoff eligibility. Send to AHL on paper at 2pm deadline. Recall to NHL at 2:01pm. You would have to have a CHL only eligible player that is injured, and only ready to make a comeback at the deadline. And then while you might be able to send them down for a conditioning stint (2 games typically). You would NOT be able to send them down later. They can't sign an amateur contract.

I understand what a paper transaction is, hence why I just explained it. The intention is to make the player part of the AHL roster at the deadline as a condition for eligibility to compete in the AHL playoffs. What I am wondering is if a conditioning stint counts as "part of the roster for eligibility in the playoffs". Which I can't find any specifics online about. But, If so, they could technically try to line up Bedard's return with a conditioning stint that overlaps with that eligibility deadline, presumably, making him eligible to join the Icehogs after Regina's season is over and/or when the Hawks season is over as well.

Regardless of Bedard and Korchinski, I am not necessarily arguing in favor of sending anyone down for the rest of the season. What I AM arguing is that, there is no reason not to do the paper transaction and give players like Soderblom, Reichel, Vlasic, Phillips, and others, the option to go play some playoff hockey in the AHL if they want to. Also, the the narrative of "they have nothing left to learn there" or "sending them down will do no good" is baseless and counterproductive. The only time any player should ever even begin to expect not to be sent down is after they become waiver eligible, and even then it isn't a given. There are always things to work on and something to be gained, and the AHL is never a bad place to do it.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll