SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #4: Deadline is Approaching

Mar. 1 at 12:17 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Please don't ever compare Savard to Ilya, also put the pipe down.

My bad, Ilya's more mobile
Mar. 1 at 12:18 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Leafsfan98
My bad, Ilya's more mobile

Ilya is one of the worst defensemen in the league, but keep going, maybe you'll make it on that "Bad NHL takes" X page.
Mar. 1 at 12:20 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Ilya is one of the worst defensemen in the league, but keep going, maybe you'll make it on that "Bad NHL takes" X page.

I actually don't have an X account thank you very much
Mar. 1 at 12:23 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Is Addision hurt why he not running unit 1

I don't think so; he's been healthy scratched. Hurting them too much at ES I would guess.
Mar. 1 at 1:01 a.m.
mokumboi
Just found out Dreger said a day or two ago that he thinks Buch definitely gets traded soon. Of course, he said this literally 10 seconds after he said "Tanev is probably closer to a deadline deal" and that nothing was close on that front.

It's cute watching all these Canada-based insiders trying to pretend they have actual Army-level insight, which they almost never do. At least Seravalli had a solid take on Buch today. Broken clocks and all.
Mar. 1 at 1:19 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Remember though Benoits stats were not great coming out of Ana but look at him now

He's been pretty good. Lybushkin was good here last time and Rielly seems to do well with this type of player
Mar. 1 at 1:23 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Just found out Dreger said a day or two ago that he thinks Buch definitely gets traded soon. Of course, he said this literally 10 seconds after he said "Tanev is probably closer to a deadline deal" and that nothing was close on that front.

It's cute watching all these Canada-based insiders trying to pretend they have actual Army-level insight, which they almost never do. At least Seravalli had a solid take on Buch today. Broken clocks and all.

I think these guys have a few sources within GM's offices and are sometimes fed stuff strategically. Also they don't have sources in EVERY GM's office so anything that they state with certainty cannot be taken that way. They might have some insight as to how things stood at a single point of time, but it changes quickly.
Mar. 1 at 1:27 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I think these guys have a few sources within GM's offices and are sometimes fed stuff strategically. Also they don't have sources in EVERY GM's office so anything that they state with certainty cannot be taken that way. They might have some insight as to how things stood at a single point of time, but it changes quickly.

Right, but he said that mere hours, if not even minutes before Tanev was dealt. I agree with all you said, but I also know some of these guys are just blowing smoke or using wiggle words for clickbait. A lot.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Mar. 1 at 4:06 a.m.
WentWughes
Remember though Benoits stats were not great coming out of Ana but look at him now

He's been pretty good. Lybushkin was good here last time and Rielly seems to do well with this type of player

Benoit had a down year when he was traded, his previous year was half decent. Ilya hasn't had a good NHL season in many years.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Mar. 1 at 5:41 a.m.
Edited Mar. 1 at 6:54 a.m.
Is it just me or is it very, very odd that Carolina retained for Toronto?

They could meet in an early round?

Y help ur opposition?

Wouldn’t Carolina be better off if Toronto had to pay more or not get their guy? I can’t ever remember 1 contender facilitating another contender in the same conference.

Due to the above, the only logical thing I can think is that Carolina believes this makes the Leafs worse, which is kinda one of those things that seems like it can come back to bite you.
Mar. 1 at 8:45 a.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Is it just me or is it very, very odd that Carolina retained for Toronto?

They could meet in an early round?

Y help ur opposition?

Wouldn’t Carolina be better off if Toronto had to pay more or not get their guy? I can’t ever remember 1 contender facilitating another contender in the same conference.

Due to the above, the only logical thing I can think is that Carolina believes this makes the Leafs worse, which is kinda one of those things that seems like it can come back to bite you.

It's happened a few times, last I can recall was 2 years ago when Domi was traded to Carolina trade and Florida brokered with retained salary for a low pick.

I think that there is a separate market for retained salary that all the GM's share with each other in discussions; where they put out their price for $X dollars; or just state that they are NOT in the market of serving as cap broker. I don't think any of it is connected to particular deals; otherwise nobody could make deals fast enough. This way every team has a shortlist of cap brokers they can possibly utilize in any deals leading up to the TDL.

Then there is a call like hey, I've got a deal with a team and we need retention of $687,500 AAV is your price still a 6th round? Can I lock you in? OK great, I'll send over the trade confirmation.

I don't think GM's really care who it is that is being dealt between the other 2 teams, as long as their get their price for the retention.

These guys all operate in vaccuums for the most part and just try to improve their own team. We all might think that a 6th round pick is way too cheap for the retention of that amount but that GM doesn't.

If a team backed out and said oh wait nevermind we're not going to help team X; then their opportunity to deal in the future would be harmed with a lot of GM's.
Mar. 1 at 10:56 a.m.
torontos finest
i just remembered dubas traded a 3rd for david rittich, who played 4 games for toronto and was a 0.888

silver linings
Mar. 1 at 11:10 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: mondo
i just remembered dubas traded a 3rd for david rittich, who played 4 games for toronto and was a 0.888

silver linings

That entire TDL was a disaster. The 1st for Foligno, a 5th for Hutton, Suomela for Barabanov. Just a complete headscratcher all around (granted this year's TDL is off to a worryingly similar start)
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 1 at 1:10 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
I have to assume today is the opening day to sign un-owned CHL players to NHL contracts because we've already had 3 today
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 1 at 1:11 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I have to assume today is the opening day to sign un-owned CHL players to NHL contracts because we've already had 3 today

Mar. 1 at 1:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Benoit had a down year when he was traded, his previous year was half decent. Ilya hasn't had a good NHL season in many years.

Fresh stats were on a 3 year marker he didn't put up great numbers sof 2 years min

He's found a home and just does what they need nothing fancy it just works
Mar. 1 at 1:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo

silver linings

That's why u don't pay for goalies at TDL when u got 3 nice ones
Mar. 1 at 1:15 p.m.
SHL NJD GM

Who's the 4th, I'm only seeing Funk, Roelens and McCue so far
Mar. 1 at 1:24 p.m.
Amirov Forever
With the TDL being a week out, I figured I'd try to predict where some of the top trade targets land

1. Noah Hanifin ➡️ Boston
2. Jake Guentzel ➡️ Vegas
3. Henrique ➡️ Colorado
4. Mantha ➡️ Florida
5. Buchnevich ➡️ Carolina
6. Wennberg ➡️ New York (R)
7. Duclair ➡️ Toronto
8. Carrier ➡️ Edmonton
9. R. Smith ➡️ Tampa
10. Dumba ➡️ Edmonton

Not including Walker, Chychrun, Markstrom, Toffoli, or Laughton because I think they will all stay in their current team
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 1 at 1:30 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Who's the 4th, I'm only seeing Funk, Roelens and McCue so far

I thought Mackey was the other one... My bad
Mar. 1 at 1:31 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
With the TDL being a week out, I figured I'd try to predict where some of the top trade targets land

3. Henrique ➡️ Colorado
4. Mantha ➡️ Florida
7. Duclair ➡️ Toronto
8. Carrier ➡️ Edmonton
9. R. Smith ➡️ Tampa
10. Dumba ➡️ Edmonton

Not including Walker, Chychrun, Markstrom, Toffoli, or Laughton because I think they will all stay in their current team

Why would Toronto go after Duclair?
Mar. 1 at 1:32 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Supplementary scoring for only 1.5m half retained. He's fast and would be electric on a line with Marner. Could probably get him cheap or as part of a larger deal with a guy like Ferraro (who Tre apparently likes)

I think he'd be very solid for us
Mar. 1 at 1:35 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Supplementary scoring for only 1.5m half retained. He's fast and would be electric on a line with Marner. Could probably get him cheap or as part of a larger deal with a guy like Ferraro (who Tre apparently likes)

I think he'd be very solid for us

I see Tre going after Mangiapane... He's from Toronto... Roughly the same cap space works, can be put in a larger deal involving Hanifin or something else...
Mar. 1 at 1:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

3. Henrique ➡️ Colorado
4. Mantha ➡️ Florida
7. Duclair ➡️ Toronto
8. Carrier ➡️ Edmonton
9. R. Smith ➡️ Tampa
10. Dumba ➡️ Edmonton

I feel it's gonna be Mantha as he is a Brad guy
Mar. 1 at 1:36 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I feel it's gonna be Mantha as he is a Brad guy

Really? Never signed a contract with Tre though...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll