Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Db1899
IMG-1559">

I don't see the Leafs having a good enough package for Nelson
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 26 at 10:48 a.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I mean, I do think it’s reasonable to expect a high package for Buchnevich, he is a good 1st liner, I’d peg his value around 2 1sts too, just maybe separated into like a 1st and good prospect or a 1st, and 2 lower valued assets that combined roughly make up another 1st

If they do some heavy retention sure, but at 5.8M thats a lot for a contender to take on right now unless it is Vegas who probably has Stone on LTIR until the playoffs. If they want to move him I am guessing it is a summer deal. They are trying to tell me he is worth more than Jake because of the extra year but Jake is the best winger available at the deadline in over a decade. You pay heavy for that even if he can't be resigned.
Feb. 26 at 10:50 a.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I’m a blues fan.

The best Buchnevich deal I’ve found is Detroit for Perron, B level nhl ready prospect, pick depending on prospect quality.

I suggest berggren and a 1st with protection, but I’m no scout and I’m sure there’s a viable target in the org.

Blues fans think that’s way too low for a return on Buchnevich .

I think it’s wishful thinking to get that much, specifically the first of a wildcard/bubble team. (Even tho I’m bullish on the wings, that pick is much more valuable than teams projected to win cup.) I wouldn’t be surprised if Yzerman refused to move it. So in my mind the return is Perron, berggren, 2nd, perhaps future 2nd conditioned to resign. Stl likely won’t get either a super premium pick OR a super premium prospect for Buchnevich. Best case is retain and send to Canada, but buch has trade protection and I’m guessing he isn’t into pay cuts. I almost think this deal won’t be possible because stl will demand the 1st and Detroit will refuse, and the clock will do the rest.

I see a ton of proposals or chats where blues fans are adding like multiple top shelf prospects ontop of picks and I just shake my head and move along. I think there’s going to be a lot of disappointment.

But in blues fans defense: there aren’t many comparable deals for them to lean on, and I’m wrong more than I’m right. Armstrong could have an established bidding war with retention, but so many clubs are depleted that I don’t see the market. How do you get a bidding war if 3 of the teams bidding don’t have any draft picks for years due to previous decisions. What’s Tampa, Boston, other florida, Toronto going to give you? A 2027 first lol? The buyers all know this.

Worst case for stl they keep him and get a late first next deadline, as long as he’s injury free he’s going to be among the premium rentals if not the premium rental. I’d personally rather get a larger return right now, even if that return isn’t massive itself. It would be nice for the retool to dip down low once and snag a monster pick. I’d suggest ship Parayko to Edmonton for Ceci along with moving Buchnevich and get that top 5 pick next season, preparing to contend at the bubble the next season, window fully open the next, propped up for about 5 years.

Good to see some reality here! Look he is a fine player and you may just want to extend him in the offseason anyway. It is insane though when I have multiple Blues fans arguing with me that he is better than Guentzel. I get the extra year helps trade values but they are just flat out arguing he is a better winger.
Feb. 26 at 11:19 a.m.
Quoting: edeangel84
If they do some heavy retention sure, but at 5.8M thats a lot for a contender to take on right now unless it is Vegas who probably has Stone on LTIR until the playoffs. If they want to move him I am guessing it is a summer deal. They are trying to tell me he is worth more than Jake because of the extra year but Jake is the best winger available at the deadline in over a decade. You pay heavy for that even if he can't be resigned.

If Buchnevich had proven he could be a 2C then I think he might be in the mix for top forward on the market over Guentzel; but I think that will go to Nelson if he is truly available on the market.

There is a different set of teams looking for a Center and another group looking for a sniper. Nelson will be on both teams radar.

I would argue that Tarasenko would slot in right behind Guentzel for the sniper market for many teams ahead of Buchnevich. Buchnevich is a solid guy but he isn't an elite sniper because he doesn't get a ton of shots on goal like the other guys do (this year in Ottawa being the outlier for Vlad). The ability to actual shoot on goal 3-4 times a game consistently is part of a skill that teams need, not to mention having a high volume power play shooter makes it more dangerous.

But then it also comes down to guys that fit into a playing style/system and Pavel probably is more flexible in that regard.
edeangel84 liked this.
Feb. 26 at 1:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I don't see the Leafs having a good enough package for Nelson

Oh no they do just have 0 need for him

At this point the goal should be Rielly partner
Feb. 26 at 1:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Man this TDL might be either a dam breaker or snooze fest

2023: 10 days before Mar 3 TDL: 34 trades occurred

2024: 7 trades have occurred league wide with 2 being in the last 26 days. Were almost a week away from TDL

Either the dam is about to break or this might be a not many traded TDL or year as a whole.
Feb. 26 at 1:29 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
Oh no they do just have 0 need for him

At this point the goal should be Rielly partner

I meant within reason... Obviously their 24 1st, Cowan and Minten would get it done, but they don't want to trade any of them
Feb. 26 at 2:00 p.m.

2024: 7 trades have occurred league wide with 2 being in the last 26 days. Were almost a week away from TDL

Either the dam is about to break or this might be a not many traded TDL or year as a whole.

I feel like the Mark Stone injury is one that forces VGK to break the dam. Boston with Ullmark and NYI putting Nelson; along with Guentzel on the market are huge motivations for teams. I think Lindgren would be another one
Feb. 26 at 2:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I feel like the Mark Stone injury is one that forces VGK to break the dam. Boston with Ullmark and NYI putting Nelson; along with Guentzel on the market are huge motivations for teams. I think Lindgren would be another one

VGK for sure is gonna make a move but man I fee like Lindholm things still gonna be quiet or at least not as chaotic as before

There will be moves but I just dont know how many. Might be the lowest in a while
Feb. 26 at 2:21 p.m.
VGK for sure is gonna make a move but man I fee like Lindholm things still gonna be quiet or at least not as chaotic as before

There will be moves but I just dont know how many. Might be the lowest in a while

I know several teams like Edmonton need every day towards the deadline to accrue cap space
Feb. 26 at 2:46 p.m.

More parity it seems this year…lot of teams in the “could go either way” category.
Feb. 26 at 3:10 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: edeangel84
Good to see some reality here! Look he is a fine player and you may just want to extend him in the offseason anyway. It is insane though when I have multiple Blues fans arguing with me that he is better than Guentzel. I get the extra year helps trade values but they are just flat out arguing he is a better winger.

Last three seasons, 5v5 P/60

Guentzel

Buch

And Buch is superior defensively, allowing him to play top matchups in all situations, unlike non PK-er Guentzel. And he does not play with a generational HoF set-up man. So I'm not at all sure how Guentzel is so obviously, so signifcantly better than Buch. Or how arguing that Buch is preferable is some sort of wacky thing. Had Buch not started the season playing hurt, it might be venturing toward Cpt. Obvious territory.
Feb. 26 at 3:14 p.m.
Cade Webber, 6’7” physical dman at Boston University and former Carolina 4th rounder will go to free agency. Leads NCAA in blocked shots. Imagine it’s coming out now to allow CAR to trade his rights.

Until they get an AHL team, signability questions about Carolina’s NCAA picks will continue. And they have some good ones. There has already been a lot of talk about Scott Morrow, a junior RHD at UMass, and Jackson Blake, a sophomore at North Dakota (likely Hobey Baker finalist and Jason Blake’s son). Blake has a couple years. But Canes tried to sign Morrow last summer. If he spurns them again and returns to UMass for senior year, he is probably walking.
pinslack and zk97 liked this.
Feb. 26 at 3:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NHLfan10506
More parity it seems this year…lot of teams in the “could go either way” category.

I feel its either being a wait and see or because so many teams spent a tonne in TDL's before they dont got the assets to do much now and so thats why things be slower

Also besides select names there arent many wow guys

As once Monahan, Lindholm went its basically

Guentzel, Tanev, Hanifin, Henrique, Tarasenko then a big drop off

Maybe this is the TDL we see more trades on the actual date lul
Feb. 26 at 3:45 p.m.
Edited Feb. 27 at 6:24 a.m.
[Jeremy Rutherford] I’d give it a 50%-60% chance that Jordan Kyrou gets traded before his no-trade clause kicks in (July 1st 2025), and that might be a little low. I would be shocked if Kyrou finishes his 8-year contract with St. Louis

Per hockey subreddit.

Podcast link

Post edit:

Reddit commenters point out that despite being the athletics reporter for stl, Rutherford’s track record is, wait for it, worse than -mine-, which is hard to achieve. It would seemingly take active and substantial effort to be as wrong as he has been historically.
pinslack liked this.
Feb. 26 at 4:17 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Hard to believe next Friday is trade deadline day. Easily the biggest name on the market is Guentzel, so where does everyone think he winds up?

Vegas makes wayyyyy too much sense in my opinion. They have a need for scoring now with the amount of injuries they have, would only be ~1.4m over the cap with a fully healthy roster (which isn't a huge deal seeing as though they won't be healthy until the playoffs at which point it doesn't matter anymore), and could easily afford to extend him at somewhere around 9mil.

Something around Brisson, another young player (Denisenko maybe?), a 1st, and a 2nd for Guentzel at 50% retained seems like an fair trade. I don't think there are many contenders who have assets they can part with, and the cap flexibility to extend Guentzel if there is a trade. The only 2 that come to mind are Vegas and Vancouver, and I personally think Vegas would be the better fit. Vancouver has bigger fish to fry this offseason with Petey needing a new deal.

I think Guentzel is Vegas Bound
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 26 at 4:18 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
[Jeremy Rutherford] I’d give it a 50%-60% chance that Jordan Kyrou gets traded before his no-trade clause kicks in (July 1st 2025), and that might be a little low. I would be shocked if Kyrou finishes his 8-year contract with St. Louis

Per hockey subreddit.

Podcast link

Sounds like a load of BS to me. Would be a tremendous mistake on St. Louis' part
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Feb. 26 at 4:59 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Sounds like a load of BS to me. Would be a tremendous mistake on St. Louis' part

Clayton Kellers don’t come cheap!

I do want one of the stl guys to eventually make it to town, whether it be a Tkachuk, Keller, Frederic, or even Kunin. Unfortunately brown didn’t make it. I’d have to guess Kyrou kinda has to be in a deal for one of them. I’d be okay with that.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Feb. 26 at 5:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The amount of people who think Dumba's got good value this TDL is mind boggling

Hes a good buy low candidate but man even then hes a secondary move to a bigger one like Schenn was after McCabe

Most I would pay for Dumba at 50% ret is a 4th
Feb. 26 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Last three seasons, 5v5 P/60

Guentzel

Buch

And Buch is superior defensively, allowing him to play top matchups in all situations, unlike non PK-er Guentzel. And he does not play with a generational HoF set-up man. So I'm not at all sure how Guentzel is so obviously, so signifcantly better than Buch. Or how arguing that Buch is preferable is some sort of wacky thing. Had Buch not started the season playing hurt, it might be venturing toward Cpt. Obvious territory.

On a 60 minute basis, Guentzel shoots 20% more and scores 20% more goals. That is the main difference why he is more highly coveted. Goal Scoring will always command a premium (just like size for defenseman seems to come TDL).

It doesn't mean Buchnevich isn't good or that some teams might rank him higher depending on their need. He clearly is a top 6 guy on any contender.
edeangel84 liked this.
Feb. 26 at 5:31 p.m.
The amount of people who think Dumba's got good value this TDL is mind boggling

Hes a good buy low candidate but man even then hes a secondary move to a bigger one like Schenn was after McCabe

Most I would pay for Dumba at 50% ret is a 4th

past NHL TDLs proves that big, physical, RHD will have an artificially high market value. Whether people think he is "good" or not; it could just be recognizing the market.
Feb. 26 at 5:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
past NHL TDLs proves that big, physical, RHD will have an artificially high market value. Whether people think he is "good" or not; it could just be recognizing the market.

I mean Schenn got a third mainly due to the cap hit as he was playing top pair in Van and costed under 1m

Rental depth Dman really didnt get stupendous returns

The offseason though they got overpaid lul
Feb. 26 at 5:37 p.m.
I mean Schenn got a third mainly due to the cap hit as he was playing top pair in Van and costed under 1m

Rental depth Dman really didnt get stupendous returns

The offseason though they got overpaid lul

Yeah it's a hard market to figure right now. But with Toronto, Dallas, Edmonton, Tampa, Jersey, Buffalo, Ottawa, and maybe Vancouver all in the buyer side of the market and maybe half a dozen decent options; this is looking like a seller's market.
Feb. 26 at 5:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yeah it's a hard market to figure right now. But with Toronto, Dallas, Edmonton, Tampa, Jersey, Buffalo, Ottawa, and maybe Vancouver all in the buyer side of the market and maybe half a dozen decent options; this is looking like a seller's market.

I really dont feel it is. I feel last year was. This year besides a select few options arent great

I feel guys like Tanev will go for great value while for Dumba its a 4th going back

Cause teams have scouts and analytics departments they know whose got the value and there be a good chunk of RD available this TDL

Tanev, Walker, Carrier, Lybushkin, EJ, Jokiharju, Peeke, Dumba, Boqvist, Barrie, etc.
Feb. 26 at 5:51 p.m.
I really dont feel it is. I feel last year was. This year besides a select few options arent great

I feel guys like Tanev will go for great value while for Dumba its a 4th going back

Cause teams have scouts and analytics departments they know whose got the value and there be a good chunk of RD available this TDL

Tanev, Walker, Carrier, Lybushkin, EJ, Jokiharju, Peeke, Dumba, Boqvist, Barrie, etc.

I think it comes to specific styles/fits just as much as anything else. So I don't see it as a big "RHD market", I see it is 3 different markets:

Tanev, Walker are good two-way guys: Tanev more defensive, Walker more offensive: but they are good in all zones: not overly physical or PP QB types either. Alex Carrier is in this category but further down the tiers than those guys: same for EJ. Colton Parayko would be at (or near) the top depending upon if St. Louis would put him on the market and with retention.

The guys that add grit/sandpaper sometimes get valued more come playoff time: Savard, Lyubushkin, Dumba, Peeke. Especially if there is a team that feels they need that specific role player.

Jokiharju, Boqvist, Barrie (and Justin Schultz) fit a specific category of need: offensive puckmovers/PPQB types.

I've also wondered about Matt Roy in LAK; who I think they love but it is a position of strength and they need cap $ to add a goalie.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll