Team: 2023-24 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 21, 2024
Published: Feb. 21, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
CAR
  1. Mittelstadt, Casey
Additional Details:
Whether the Mitts trade rumours are true or false - it's just a mock trade. Looking to see how it'd look if he was being shopped.

Expiring RFA 60pt 2C would fit this team nicely.
BUF
  1. Drury, Jack
  2. Unger Sörum, Felix
  3. 2024 1st round pick (CAR)
  4. 2025 4th round pick (CAR)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$82,229,417$450,000$500,000$1,270,583
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,820,000$4,820,000
C
UFA - 7
$2,400,000$2,400,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,750,000$7,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,675,000$1,675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 21 at 12:29 p.m.
mattysmokes
Would love Casey but acquiring him would make this off season even more difficult. Would need to resign him, Jarvis, and Necas leaving no money to sign one of Skjei or Pesce most likely. And that doesn't even include Turbo, Noesen, and Chatfield.
BUFF742 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 12:29 p.m.
The one thing that is true, the Sabres can't trade mittelstadt for futures. They can do it for a defensive right shot d, at this point almost has to be physical too. A late first and some undersized forward prospects doesn't come close to what would make sense for buffalo.
Feb. 21 at 12:30 p.m.
Quoting: mskiko
Would love Casey but acquiring him would make this off season even more difficult. Would need to resign him, Jarvis, and Necas leaving no money to sign one of Skjei or Pesce most likely. And that doesn't even include Turbo, Noesen, and Chatfield.

I think you can risk losing Skjei with Nikishin ready to make the jump, bumping Orlov to top 4 minutes. Noesen and Chatfield are easy depth signings.

If the money wouldn't work, you can always just flip Mitts' RFA rights.
Feb. 21 at 12:31 p.m.
Quoting: sabres89
The one thing that is true, the Sabres can't trade mittelstadt for futures. They can do it for a defensive right shot d, at this point almost has to be physical too. A late first and some undersized forward prospects doesn't come close to what would make sense for buffalo.

See, this is what Buffalo fans have curated on the site, not what's REALLY happening. If Mitts is OTB and going to a contender, nobody is forking over a top 4 RHD. It'll have to be a package with some futures.

Even then, you could just take the futures you get and flip them in the offseason for an area of need.
Feb. 21 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: glaive
See, this is what Buffalo fans have curated on the site, not what's REALLY happening. If Mitts is OTB and going to a contender, nobody is forking over a top 4 RHD. It'll have to be a package with some futures.

Even then, you could just take the futures you get and flip them in the offseason for an area of need.

I agree with part of this, he won't be going to a contender, we don't need futures, we need help now. Or the Sabres just sign him.
Shibbal18 and AntiAnalytics liked this.
Feb. 21 at 12:35 p.m.
I agree with part of this, he won't be going to a contender, we don't need futures, we need help now. Or the Sabres just sign him.

If the Sabers need back end help, why not get let a team ship a haul at the TDL for Mitts then move some of those assets in the offseason for areas of need.

The package I proposed might be on the weaker side, I was mainly just seeing how he fit in the lines.
sabres89 and Lenny54 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 12:36 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
That would be an expensive mistake. FUS is more than likely untouchable. And spending all that on a C that isn’t a systematic fit is not smart asset management. If the Canes were targeting a C from Buffalo, as unrealistic as it is, it would be Cozens that would be the target, not Mittelstadt.
sabres89, BUFF36 and amullican liked this.
Feb. 21 at 12:40 p.m.
Quoting: evelutions2
That would be an expensive mistake. FUS is more than likely untouchable. And spending all that on a C that isn’t a systematic fit is not smart asset management. If the Canes were targeting a C from Buffalo, as unrealistic as it is, it would be Cozens that would be the target, not Mittelstadt.

Why...? Mitts has proved he's reached what Buffalo was expecting him to all this time, and is actually having a better performance than Cozens this season. AND might sign for cheaper, too. A 2C IS a systematic need. KK is too streaky and has never played a season with more than like 14 minutes TOI to be a contenders actual 2C, and Mitts is a 25 year old expiring RFA. Perfect fit. He's decent defensively too.
Feb. 21 at 12:40 p.m.
If the Sabers need back end help, why not get let a team ship a haul at the TDL for Mitts then move some of those assets in the offseason for areas of need.

The package I proposed might be on the weaker side, I was mainly just seeing how he fit in the lines.

Sabres have enough assets on their own to trade for a RHD, but there’s no one good available.
Shibbal18 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 12:44 p.m.

We would need a new gm for a two step. We have a team in a 13 year playoff drought, and his biggest move this year was trading a 7th for Eric robinson. Is that a guy that you would trust to trade a dollar for four quarters, and then send him to the right shot d store with four quarters? The Sabres have two more years of control over mittelstadt, there's no way he can move him for futures.
Lenny54 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 12:46 p.m.

True, if it's me, Thompson and cozens are completely off the table. Mittelstadt would be the guy I'd move.
Feb. 21 at 12:46 p.m.
We would need a new gm for a two step. We have a team in a 13 year playoff drought, and his biggest move this year was trading a 7th for Eric robinson. Is that a guy that you would trust to trade a dollar for four quarters, and then send him to the right shot d store with four quarters? The Sabres have two more years of control over mittelstadt, there's no way he can move him for futures.

I'll agree on the new gm part. Adams needs to go ASAP
sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 12:47 p.m.
Shibbal18
Sabres have no need for any of that. Sabres have the deepest offensive prospect pool in the league they don't need forwards prospects
sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 1:27 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Why...? Mitts has proved he's reached what Buffalo was expecting him to all this time, and is actually having a better performance than Cozens this season. AND might sign for cheaper, too. A 2C IS a systematic need. KK is too streaky and has never played a season with more than like 14 minutes TOI to be a contenders actual 2C, and Mitts is a 25 year old expiring RFA. Perfect fit. He's decent defensively too.

He has had success in an offensive based system in Buffalo. He has never been in a defensive based system, and is about as defensive as Necas. Slightly better than average, but not enough to where he will be actually used as a C in Rod’s defensive system. So aside from the unlikelihood that Mitts would even be played as a C under Rod, there is the problems of his next contract and the cap. Mitts is going to be asking for something along the lines of what Horvat and PLD have gone for. So the Canes can either keep and re-sign their RFAs and a couple of their UFAs, or they can overpay for Mittelstadt via trade and then either ship him off for pennies on the dollar or overpay him as an RFA and have to trade away their own players. And that is all assuming that Mittlestadt ends up actually being a fit.

Waddell has already said he is looking more for players with term, and is not looking at the rental market, which Mittelstadt would more than likely be a rental for the reasons I mentioned above. Cozens is exactly the type of player the Canes would target. Signed long term, at a reasonable cap hit, and is a good systematic fit as a 2-way 2C. It’s incredibly unlikely that Cozens would be moved, but all I am saying is that he would be a more likely target than Mittelstadt.
BUFF36 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 1:33 p.m.
He has had success in an offensive based system in Buffalo. He has never been in a defensive based system, and is about as defensive as Necas. Slightly better than average, but not enough to where he will be actually used as a C in Rod’s defensive system. So aside from the unlikelihood that Mitts would even be played as a C under Rod, there is the problems of his next contract and the cap. Mitts is going to be asking for something along the lines of what Horvat and PLD have gone for. So the Canes can either keep and re-sign their RFAs and a couple of their UFAs, or they can overpay for Mittelstadt via trade and then either ship him off for pennies on the dollar or overpay him as an RFA and have to trade away their own players. And that is all assuming that Mittlestadt ends up actually being a fit.

Waddell has already said he is looking more for players with term, and is not looking at the rental market, which Mittelstadt would more than likely be a rental for the reasons I mentioned above. Cozens is exactly the type of player the Canes would target. Signed long term, at a reasonable cap hit, and is a good systematic fit as a 2-way 2C. It’s incredibly unlikely that Cozens would be moved, but all I am saying is that he would be a more likely target than Mittelstadt.

People who call Cozens a "two-way" player forget his defensive numbers are terrible. Like, last season and this season, they are actually bad. He's as much of a 2-way player as Mitts is, only mitts actually performs decent defensively. Cozens has also been taken off the C and moved to the wing. I think suggesting Mitts wouldn't be good in a defensive system is a stretch, because he's already fine defensively. He has the offensive punch to add to the top 6 that Carolina needs to finally get over that hump.

In terms of his contract, we don't know what his asking price is. Does he want 6, 7? Does he want 8? If he wanted a contract that Carolina couldn't afford, you could easily just ship his RFA rights to a team that would pay him that, and there are plenty teams that need a 2C that would be willing to pay big money for one. It wouldn't be for pennies on the dollar, either. Could recoup most of the assets missing and try again.
BUFF36 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 1:41 p.m.
On the Rod Meal Plan
I would do this trade but I can't imagine Buffalo does.
glaive and sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 2:10 p.m.
Go-sabres

If that's correct at least Morrow should be beginning of trade
sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 2:33 p.m.

Mitts isn't a rental
sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 2:34 p.m.
No thank you from buffalo
sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 2:35 p.m.

We have no need to trade him. We can just move him in the offseason if no hockey trade is available
sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 2:41 p.m.
People who call Cozens a "two-way" player forget his defensive numbers are terrible. Like, last season and this season, they are actually bad. He's as much of a 2-way player as Mitts is, only mitts actually performs decent defensively. Cozens has also been taken off the C and moved to the wing. I think suggesting Mitts wouldn't be good in a defensive system is a stretch, because he's already fine defensively. He has the offensive punch to add to the top 6 that Carolina needs to finally get over that hump.

In terms of his contract, we don't know what his asking price is. Does he want 6, 7? Does he want 8? If he wanted a contract that Carolina couldn't afford, you could easily just ship his RFA rights to a team that would pay him that, and there are plenty teams that need a 2C that would be willing to pay big money for one. It wouldn't be for pennies on the dollar, either. Could recoup most of the assets missing and try again.

I will defend Cozens in that aspect, because the guy has played between every combo you can think of the last few years. It was nice when they finally settled with JJ Cozens Quinn but injuries have kept that line apart. Cozens gets jerked around a lot.
sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 2:42 p.m.
Quoting: BUFF36
I will defend Cozens in that aspect, because the guy has played between every combo you can think of the last few years. It was nice when they finally settled with JJ Cozens Quinn but injuries have kept that line apart. Cozens gets jerked around a lot.

Not saying he's a bad player by any means, he's just not the "2-way" player people think he is. He's not very good defensively and hasn't been.
BUFF36 and sabres89 liked this.
Feb. 21 at 2:56 p.m.
Not saying he's a bad player by any means, he's just not the "2-way" player people think he is. He's not very good defensively and hasn't been.

Yeah, I agree in some ways. I was just saying a lot has to do with the way he's been used IMO
Feb. 21 at 3:06 p.m.

Unger Sorum “likely untouchable”? Really?

He’s a nice prospect, but if you can turn him into a good NHL player NOW, you do it.
glaive liked this.
Feb. 21 at 3:16 p.m.
Banned

1- we aren’t trading Mitts

2- IF we did, why does it have to be to a “contender”

Your proposed package is horrible
But to answer your question….
We ALREADY HAVE a ton of assets we could use to trade for a RD
We don’t NEED to move Mitts for them in order to make a deal for what we want

So if we were gonna move Mitts (AGAIN, we aren’t),
it would have to be for a very specific player who we didn’t think we could get with all the other great trade pieces we have

Sorry, but your assumptions you made are WRONG
And while your logic makes sense in general- it really doesn’t work for our specific situation

It’s not happening
Sorry
sabres89 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll