Published: Feb. 22, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Accurate/Prorated
LTIR Enabled: Yes
Season Days: 192
Days Remaining: 56
Season Remaining: 29%
Projected Cap Hit Prior To Days Remaining Tooltip : $97,734,141
Description
Trade 1. Arizona has a plethora of 2nd round picks but only one 1st pick this year (theirs). The Leafs give away their 1st away in exchange for a late second (FLA, 2nd in the entire league). They will also acquire a semi-early second (WSH, 20th in the league). This WSH pick will be a bit more appealing to CGY compared to FLAs second. The 5th is to sweeten the deal.

Trade 2. I've been told from numerous fans of teams (NYR, CHI, etc.) that dumping Kampf's contract would require a 2nd rounder. CBJ is a rebuilding team missing a second rounder in this year's draft that might make it more appealing to take on Kampf's contract; that is not out of the realm of being bought out by CBJ.

Trade 3. CGY reportedly wants a 1st for Tanev but will most likely find themselves getting a 2nd at best for an aging Top-4 DFD on his last serviceable years and has 1 year left on his contract. CGY will receive a decent 2nd rounder (WSH) but will also receive Niemela and a 3rd rounder to seal the deal. Retaining half of Tanev's salary should be no problem in regards to what they are receiving plus the fact Tanev just has 1 year left on the contract.
Trades
TOR
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (WSH)
ARI
  1. 2024 1st round pick (TOR)
  2. 2024 5th round pick (CGY)
TOR
    Future Considerations
    CBJ
    1. Kämpf, David
    2. 2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
    TOR
    1. Tanev, Christopher ($2,250,000 retained)
    CGY
    1. Niemelä, Topi
    2. 2024 2nd round pick (WSH)
    3. 2024 3rd round pick (NYI)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$83,500,000$78,614,783$0$0$4,885,217
    Prorated Cap Hit

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $925,000$269,792
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $11,640,250$3,395,073
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $10,903,000$3,180,042
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $796,667$232,361
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $11,000,000$3,208,333
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $6,962,366$2,030,690
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$1,604,167
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$875,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $762,500$222,396
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$226,042
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $800,000$233,333
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $1,350,000$393,750
    RW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $7,500,000$2,187,500
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    -$1,125,000-$328,125
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,550,000$1,035,417
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$583,333
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,400,000$408,333
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $875,000$255,208
    G
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$233,333
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$1,458,333
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$226,042
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$226,042
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$226,042
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$226,042
    LD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,100,000$320,833
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $5,625,000$1,640,625
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,687,500$1,367,188
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,150,000$1,210,417
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,100,000$612,500
    RW, C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $766,667$223,611
    G
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 22 at 1:31 a.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Just FYI: pick numbers 44 and 59 (assuming Florida doesn't win two rounds) don't get you any pick in the first round, so this would be a very poor idea for the Maple Leafs.
    kash and GenXHockey liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 1:40 a.m.
    Marner rocks
    So in the end the leafs give up 1,3,5 Nielema and Kampf for tanev. Idk if that makes sense.
    kash liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 1:43 a.m.
    GO LEAFS GO
    Quoting: jaok3
    So in the end the leafs give up 1,3,5 Nielema and Kampf for tanev. Idk if that makes sense.

That's a fair assessment. However, in my eyes - the Leafs give up a semi-late 1st, a mid-round 3rd, a 5th for Tanev and Kampf's contract gone which is a plus. I think in the prime years of Matthews, Marner, Willy, and Rielly there is no room to waste their talent - I believe sacrificing this year's draft for a potential Cup run is worth it. Even if it doesn't pan out; we need to aim for the cup and not be too conservative to the point where Matthews is scoring 70 goals a season to get knocked out in the first/second round.
    Feb. 22 at 1:44 a.m.
    GO LEAFS GO
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    Just FYI: pick numbers 44 and 59 (assuming Florida doesn't win two rounds) don't get you any pick in the first round, so this would be a very poor idea for the Maple Leafs.

I'm sorry; can you elaborate on this? Not because I disagree but my dumb ass is failing to comprehend - that's my bad.
    Feb. 22 at 1:46 a.m.
    Marner rocks
    Quoting: kash
    That's a fair assessment. However, in my eyes - the Leafs give up a semi-late 1st, a mid-round 3rd, a 5th for Tanev and Kampf's contract gone which is a plus.

I like moving on from Kampf because l think Holmberg can fill that role sooner than later. I just don't see Tanev being the difference maker for the leafs going deep into the playoffs.
    kash liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 1:49 a.m.
    GO LEAFS GO
    Quoting: jaok3
    I like moving on from Kampf because l think Holmberg can fill that role sooner than later. I just don't see Tanev being the difference maker for the leafs going deep into the playoffs.

I respect that; it's a fair assessment - one I will disagree on though as in my honest opinion Tanev is still a top-10 DFD in this league currently. He is aging and he can potentially fall off; but he's still got it this year at least.
    jaok3 liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 2:10 a.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    Seems like a lot of malarkey for no reason. Give Calgary the 1st and keep the rest of the assets. I don't think kampf costs anything to move. Defensive bottom 6C with term.

If he does use the islanders 3rd. Leafs are up a 5th and Topi.
    kash and CaptainTavares liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 2:13 a.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    That's a fair assessment. However, in my eyes - the Leafs give up a semi-late 1st, a mid-round 3rd, a 5th for Tanev and Kampf's contract gone which is a plus. I think in the prime years of Matthews, Marner, Willy, and Rielly there is no room to waste their talent - I believe sacrificing this year's draft for a potential Cup run is worth it. Even if it doesn't pan out; we need to aim for the cup and not be too conservative to the point where Matthews is scoring 70 goals a season to get knocked out in the first/second round.

It's very fair and spot on. You got yourself all convoluted with the needless trades. Far too much to add tanev.
    kash and CaptainTavares liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 2:17 a.m.
    GO LEAFS GO
    Quoting: GenXHockey
    Seems like a lot of malarkey for no reason. Give Calgary the 1st and keep the rest of the assets. I don't think kampf costs anything to move. Defensive bottom 6C with term.

If he does use the islanders 3rd. Leafs are up a 5th and Topi.

I would give up the first for Tanev but in order to acquire him someone has to go to clear cap space. Kampf has been horrible this season and I've done these Kampf dump trades in previous threads and I always get the same feedback; teams are not willing to take on Kampf's contract unless offered a decent draft pick as incentive.
    Feb. 22 at 2:44 a.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    Edited Feb. 22 at 2:53 a.m.
    I would give up the first for Tanev but in order to acquire him someone has to go to clear cap space. Kampf has been horrible this season and I've done these Kampf dump trades in previous threads and I always get the same feedback; teams are not willing to take on Kampf's contract unless offered a decent draft pick as incentive.

Ahhhh... I see you've bought into the capfriendly bull****. Maybe he does cost something to move. Maybe it's more than a 3rd. Maybe leafs add a mid prospect. Leafs don't need to make whacky trades.

What if I told you leafs can afford to add tanev at 50% retained carrying 3 goalies and a 23 man roster and 500k left over while still having kampf at 4c?... zero trades other than tanev for a 1st.
    CaptainTavares liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 3:26 a.m.
    GO LEAFS GO
    Ahhhh... I see you've bought into the capfriendly bull****. Maybe he does cost something to move. Maybe it's more than a 3rd. Maybe leafs add a mid prospect. Leafs don't need to make whacky trades.

What if I told you leafs can afford to add tanev at 50% retained carrying 3 goalies and a 23 man roster and 500k left over while still having kampf at 4c?... zero trades other than tanev for a 1st.

Well that is certainly an option. However, I don’t think getting rid of a terrible contract for a 4th line TWF that is struggling immensely to the point of being scratched is a “wacky trade”. Do I think Kampf is worth $2.4M? Hell no. Do I think he’s good enough to make our bottom 6? Still, hell no. But to his credit, there aren’t much better options for our depth when we have Gregor and Reaves included as well. The whole bottom-six is a mess and you know it! Now, if Kampf can turn it around this latter half of the season, I can see the Leafs keeping him; but that’s an if.
    CaseyFlyman liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 3:46 a.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    Well that is certainly an option. However, I don’t think getting rid of a terrible contract for a 4th line TWF that is struggling immensely to the point of being scratched is a “wacky trade”. Do I think Kampf is worth $2.4M? Hell no. Do I think he’s good enough to make our bottom 6? Still, hell no. But to his credit, there aren’t much better options for our depth when we have Gregor and Reaves included as well. The whole bottom-six is a mess and you know it! Now, if Kampf can turn it around this latter half of the season, I can see the Leafs keeping him; but that’s an if.

No, trading a 1st for two 2nds before the TDL is a whacky trade. The bottom 6 is not a mess at all. Kampf was scratched for 1 game as an example. He is not a two way forward. He is a defensive centre. Apparently Dowd is worth a 1st. I don't think the million in cap is the difference between getting a 1st and giving a 2nd. Not that I think dowd is worth a first, but the point stands.

Personally I think you move kampf in a trade for a 3c. Teams are willing to take money back in trades. Defensive bottom 6 centre making 2.4m is nothing. In fact a team like the sabres could use his services.

Long story short, this place is full of people that undervalue leafs players as much as leafs fans overvalue them.
    CaptainTavares liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 6:50 a.m.
    not a he )
    Columbus absolutely does have their second. It just has conditions, which are Columbus gets to pick if they send it to Philly this year or if they 2025 second instead. As this year is likely to be 35-37, they will almost certainly keep it. The Florida second is basically a third, ownership would never agree to this use of assets, and there also simply isn’t room for Kämpf on the roster. Find someone else to take him.
    BoomerTheHero and benjgc liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 8:09 a.m.
    Kampf would not cost a 2024 2nd to move, don't listen to unhinged people on this site. He is overpaid relative to his production yes, but there is no way the leafs pay to dump him at the deadline, he is still an important piece defensively and on the PK. I can see them moving him in the offseason when teams have more space, he would have positive value at that point and could bring back at mid round pick at least, especially considering the cap is going up a reported 4+ mil.
    kash liked this.
    Feb. 22 at 10:01 a.m.
    The bottom 6 is not a mess at all. Kampf was scratched for 1 game as an example. He is not a two way forward. He is a defensive centre. Apparently Dowd is worth a 1st. I don't think the million in cap is the difference between getting a 1st and giving a 2nd. Not that I think dowd is worth a first, but the point stands.

Personally I think you move kampf in a trade for a 3c. Teams are willing to take money back in trades. Defensive bottom 6 centre making 2.4m is nothing. In fact a team like the sabres could use his services.

Long story short, this place is full of people that undervalue leafs players as much as leafs fans overvalue them.

$1M in cap space is traditionally between a 5th and 6th, Dowd has had more success than Kampf this year despite an even heavier defensive workload, but I agree: he's not worth a 1st.

Kampf more likely costs a 3rd or 4th to move unless he is part of a trade with money in ~= money out. A 2nd is rich. I could absolutely see Columbus doing something like this...next season, at the TDL, with a Kuraly move out and Kampf coming back to fill that 4C role. With no new GM and only one significant UFA, we're probably just going to stand pat for the most part. Anyone with term coming in or going out will have to wait for the offseason once a new GM is hired.

This place is full of so many Leafs fans, the "Leafs overvalue" crowd typically drowns out the "Leafs are undervalued" crowd, which is exhausting when you have cap space or a player that's a perceived fit. I'm just glad we can have a discussion from the other end of the spectrum for once.
    benjgc and GenXHockey liked this.
    Feb. 23 at 3:43 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    I'm sorry; can you elaborate on this? Not because I disagree but my dumb ass is failing to comprehend - that's my bad.

Sure.

{Sorry for the delay in responding . . . it was not out of discourtesy; I was a victim of the brief Cookiegate problem and locked out of my account.}

Your premise is that Washington ends up 20th in the league, which is the 12th slot in the draft (except perhaps for the first round due to the lotteries). That translates to the 44th pick this June.

Florida will either win their division (pick 27 most likely) or be a Conference finalist (pick 29 or 30) or a Cup finalist (pick 31 or 32) or finish second in their division, which will probably be pick 24. I chose division winner but losing in round 1 or 2 as a reasonable scenario for your premise. That translates to pick 59 in the second round.

There are four draft-pick-value charts in common circulation; I chose the most recent one. They all come to the same basic conclusion: picks 44 and 59 don't get you into the first round. This may surprise you, but in fact, in order for it to make sense to the team surrendering the first-round pick, Arizona would have to give up their own third rounder, rather than receive a fifth-rounder.

You'll find that some of us CF veterans are experts in arcana.

I enjoy reading your comments!
    kash and GenXHockey liked this.
    Feb. 23 at 10:14 p.m.
    GO LEAFS GO
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    Sure.

{Sorry for the delay in responding . . . it was not out of discourtesy; I was a victim of the brief Cookiegate problem and locked out of my account.}

Your premise is that Washington ends up 20th in the league, which is the 12th slot in the draft (except perhaps for the first round due to the lotteries). That translates to the 44th pick this June.

Florida will either win their division (pick 27 most likely) or be a Conference finalist (pick 29 or 30) or a Cup finalist (pick 31 or 32) or finish second in their division, which will probably be pick 24. I chose division winner but losing in round 1 or 2 as a reasonable scenario for your premise. That translates to pick 59 in the second round.

There are four draft-pick-value charts in common circulation; I chose the most recent one. They all come to the same basic conclusion: picks 44 and 59 don't get you into the first round. This may surprise you, but in fact, in order for it to make sense to the team surrendering the first-round pick, Arizona would have to give up their own third rounder, rather than receive a fifth-rounder.

You'll find that some of us CF veterans are experts in arcana.

I enjoy reading your comments!

Wow, I was completely clueless about that; I genuinely didn't know. Thanks for educating me as always mate - I appreciate it!
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 24 at 1:04 p.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    Quoting: squashmaple
    Columbus absolutely does have their second. It just has conditions, which are Columbus gets to pick if they send it to Philly this year or if they 2025 second instead. As this year is likely to be 35-37, they will almost certainly keep it. The Florida second is basically a third, ownership would never agree to this use of assets, and there also simply isn’t room for Kämpf on the roster. Find someone else to take him.

You mean money wise? Because the jackets aren't giving up any assets in this trade.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll