SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Mar. 8 at 4:30 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
https://twitter.com/RinkRatReport/status/1766204395283255604

Holmberg-Kampf-Dewar is gonna be fun

Should be Dewar - Tavares - Jarnkrok
Mar. 8 at 4:43 p.m.
Amirov Forever
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT DMITRI OVCHINNIKOV
Mar. 8 at 4:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 8 at 5:09 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT DMITRI OVCHINNIKOV

He really wasnt impressing much with the Marlies if im being honest and frees up a spot for an NCAA or WHL/OHL FA. Gimmie Jacob Quillan

Like its better than losing Tverberg lets be real
Mar. 8 at 5:00 p.m.
Catching up on the trades cause I was at work...

Tyler Toffoli, who has scored at a >30 goal pace since 2020, went for a 2nd and 3rd at 50% retention...?
Mar. 8 at 5:16 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I know a lot of fans aren't particularly happy with that TDL, but I am very happy with how we approached it. We didn't go "all in" and spend a ton on the flashy targets, but we addressed areas of need for solid prices and acquired guys who aren't going to have one-off stints with the Leafs.

Lyubushkin was a guy I wasnt stoked about getting, but he has been pretty solid so far. Doubt he sticks around next season, but I have enjoyed his second stint with the Leafs in the very small sample size we've seen it.

Edmundson is an addition I really like. Cheap, veteran defenseman who keeps it simple and has a mean crosscheck in his repertoire. Fans will love him, especially in the playoffs.

Webber was a minor move, but I really liked that pickup. Huge, rangy defenseman who moves well and eats pucks. Great gamble and is the exact kind of trade Ive wanted to see us make for a while.

Dewar is my favourite addition of the TDL. He is what the Leafs wanted Gregor to be. He is a pending RFA, an excellent skater, a guy who that doesnt shy away from physicality, kills penalties very well, and has posted excellent results despite being given only ~10 minutes of ice time. Should be the PERFECT compliment to that Tavares and Jarnkrok 3rd line. Really hope he sticks around, he is going to be one of the best additions at this years TDL

I’m in full agreement with the results. Only thing that doesn’t sit well was how much we paid for Lyubushkin and edmundson compared to dumba.

It’s not that I care about those picks that much or really like dumba…just it seems either Tre hates dumba (he did give klingberg more money while dumba was still sitting in free agency) or we paid more for similar/lesser calibre d-men
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:26 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
One thing I hate is half-assed approaches... this was a pathetic deadline.

Except this wasn’t half assed. It was using low leverage assets to add low leverage depth. Sounds more like a conservative strategy that was executed.

Just because they didn’t go all in and make a splash doesn’t make it half assed.

If they used, say, Cowan to plug one hole while hanging on to a first and minten without plugging other holes…that would be half assed.

Regardless of the season Matthews is having, this wasn’t the year to empty the chamber
Saskleaf and aadoyle liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice
I’m in full agreement with the results. Only thing that doesn’t sit well was how much we paid for Lyubushkin and edmundson compared to dumba.

It’s not that I care about those picks that much or really like dumba…just it seems either Tre hates dumba (he did give klingberg more money while dumba was still sitting in free agency) or we paid more for similar/lesser calibre d-men

To be fair for Dumba there was no ret involved

If we went and got either guy with no ret then we would have no space for other moves

But with how Boosh has been with Rielly im good and im excited to see Edmunson as this is a Dman who is built for playoff hockey.

Like Craig Button ****ed on these guys but was then like 1st for Savard. Hes the ****ing same as these guys but a RD lul
Mar. 8 at 5:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Except this wasn’t half assed. It was using low leverage assets to add low leverage depth. Sounds more like a conservative strategy that was executed.

Just because they didn’t go all in and make a splash doesn’t make it half assed.

If they used, say, Cowan to plug one hole while hanging on to a first and minten without plugging other holes…that would be half assed.

Regardless of the season Matthews is having, this wasn’t the year to empty the chamber

I call it middle of the ground

Not all in and not do nothing stand pat

This was not the TDL to go crazy as nobody with term was available

Like I would rather wait till FA for a RD rn as look at the options

Demelo, Roy, Pesce, etc.

And then Dewar has 10 goals and only got 11mins of ice with MIN
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:36 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
To be fair for Dumba there was no ret involved

If we went and got either guy with no ret then we would have no space for other moves

But with how Boosh has been with Rielly im good and im excited to see Edmunson as this is a Dman who is built for playoff hockey.

Like Craig Button ****ed on these guys but was then like 1st for Savard. Hes the ****ing same as these guys but a RD lul

We paid more to get deals done earlier.

Tampa picked up a basement bargain price once zonas phone stopped ringing
Mar. 8 at 5:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 8 at 5:49 p.m.
We paid more to get deals done earlier.

Tampa picked up a basement bargain price once zonas phone stopped ringing

But who knows maybe the guys would have been gone as Edmunson had interest from a few teams. Gio's injury also sped things along and I have had 0 complaints with Boosh he and Rielly have been fine. Its not crazy high and ret often increases the price. Got a feeling if we went and got Dumba 50% ret even now still would have had to give a 3rd or something and with him being over a 1m even with that ret would not have been fun in terms of more moves

Like I got a feeling if there was no ret on either Boosh or Edmunson probs 4th + 5th would have happened but then no room for other moves.
Mar. 8 at 6:04 p.m.

That's just a fancy way to say half-assed. Can get pedantic about it if you want, but they did not commit to a direction and that pisses me off. It's a waste.

You say yourself that despite our franchise C having one of the greatest goal scoring seasons ever (and two other forwards in the top 12 of NHL scoring) that this isn't the year to empty the chamber... That's a pretty damning indictment on this group. One I agree with. I don't think they have it.

But why then are we spending not insignificant assets on bottom of the lineup rentals rather than addressing actual problems moving forward with this group, or saving those assets for future use.

I have no more faith in this groups ability to make a run now than I did before and we spent to get here.
Mar. 8 at 6:28 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
That's just a fancy way to say half-assed. Can get pedantic about it if you want, but they did not commit to a direction and that pisses me off. It's a waste.

You say yourself that despite our franchise C having one of the greatest goal scoring seasons ever (and two other forwards in the top 12 of NHL scoring) that this isn't the year to empty the chamber... That's a pretty damning indictment on this group. One I agree with. I don't think they have it.

But why then are we spending not insignificant assets on bottom of the lineup rentals rather than addressing actual problems moving forward with this group, or saving those assets for future use.

I have no more faith in this groups ability to make a run now than I did before and we spent to get here.

Nah. He just didn’t do what you wanted him to do.
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
As a whole im good with this TDL

There was some nice stuff available but we didnt have the assets due to last TDL (no 2nds) and not a tonne of cap

Got some good depth and guys who are made for playoffs gritty style of play so its a wait and see

As no matter who TOR got in the end its up to the big guys to do their job

Like sure I would have loved a RD with term but a 1st for Savard **** no. Wait till FA and sign one or two of Pesce, Roy, or Demelo. And sure there were nice forwards but we either didnt have the assets or cap.

We still have both our 1sts for 2024 and 2026 and Robertson, Liligren, Niemela, Knies, Minten, Cowen, Greybyokin, etc.

B-
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:34 p.m.
Nah. He just didn’t do what you wanted him to do.

Whatever you say man lol
Mar. 8 at 7:24 p.m.
McMann Season
This TDL pros and cons

Pros: got harder to play against
filled some holes that needed filling
better depth
never had to spend a 1st
never had to trade Liljegren, Robertson, Knies, Cowan, Minten or any other significant pieces/prospects
got a nice looking prospect

Cons:
lost a nice few late picks,
no game changers,
lost lagesson
Mar. 8 at 7:24 p.m.
McMann Season
for anyone wondering: Cowan's consecutive games with point streak is now at 30, going for 31 right now vs the sting.
Mar. 8 at 7:30 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: CameronSquires
for anyone wondering: Cowan's consecutive games with point streak is now at 30, going for 31 right now vs the sting.

If he doesn't score at least two points tonight, he's officially a bum. **** I stg he needs to hit 100 so bad
Mar. 8 at 7:38 p.m.
McMann Season
Cowan has been just throwing the body tonight
Mar. 8 at 7:39 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: CameronSquires
Cowan has been just throwing the body tonight

Just got an A, that's 31 (and better only be his first of the night)
Mar. 8 at 7:41 p.m.
McMann Season
Cowan feeds Halttunen on the PP to extend to 31 games, crazy stuff
Mar. 8 at 8:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 8 at 8:48 p.m.
Cowen being officially now 5th on his own in OHL point streak is cool

And from here its just taking tying or surpassing tiers
Mar. 8 at 9:37 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Random2152
If he doesn't score at least two points tonight, he's officially a bum. **** I stg he needs to hit 100 so bad

Officially a bum. Too bad, why won't they prioritize my prediction over the teams health???!?!?!?
Mar. 8 at 10:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Figuring out the Dpairings is gonna break the brain lul

As sure people can go take Liligren out. K but then who QB PP unit 2?

Like rn I'm kind of leaning to

Rielly-Boosh
Brodie-McCabe
Edmunson-Liligren
Mar. 8 at 10:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Hearing Brad's comments on Robertson seems he wants him in the lineup and feel hes part of this group going forward

Question is where he gonna play rn

But yea I like the rotatable pieces in the bottom 6. Robertson, Holmberg, McMann, Dewar, etc.
Mar. 9 at 10:03 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Maybe coping isn’t the right word but there sure are a lot of #LeafsForever fans who are ok with the lack of a big addition (RD, C) this team needed.

For those who wanted (me) this team to stand pat at the deadline because they just have too many holes and got criticized for, those same people are now saying “well it’s up to the core 4 anyways, it’s ok they made depth adds”

Tomato tomato 🤷‍♂️
Trickster and oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll