SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(OTT/FLA) - Tarasenko for 2024 4th (FLA), 2025 3rd (FLA)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 7 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Generally less things being available raises the price, not lowers it.

In a world of endless demand for a product, sure. That isn't the NHL. Finite cap space, finite picks and prospects, finite roster spots and the most important is finite amount of teams he'd waive to go to. If those teams all go out and spend on other options today, they are now going to spend more for Tarasenko tomorrow for some reason because why?
Mar. 7 at 12:44 p.m.
WentWughes
Vladimir Tarasenko confirmed that the Florida Panthers were the only team he was willing to waive his no-trade clause for.

“This was the only place I was thinking about.”
A_Habs_fan and Rolfadinho liked this.
Mar. 7 at 1:01 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: F50marco
In a world of endless demand for a product, sure. That isn't the NHL. Finite cap space, finite picks and prospects, finite roster spots and the most important is finite amount of teams he'd waive to go to. If those teams all go out and spend on other options today, they are now going to spend more for Tarasenko tomorrow for some reason because why?

And what of the team(s?) that wasn't able to pick up one of those options? You covered all the finites except supply. Which it could be argued is the most important finite of all in such a scenario, economically speaking.

We're not talking about two 1sts in value more. We're talking about one or two rounds higher on one pick. I'm pretty confident they could hold out just a little bit longer. It's not like the quick trigger helped their return any.
Mar. 7 at 3:03 p.m.
And what of the team(s?) that wasn't able to pick up one of those options? You covered all the finites except supply. Which it could be argued is the most important finite of all in such a scenario, economically speaking.

We're not talking about two 1sts in value more. We're talking about one or two rounds higher on one pick. I'm pretty confident they could hold out just a little bit longer. It's not like the quick trigger helped their return any.

I mean, what, moving a 4th to a 3rd instead? Maybe instead of both picks, one 2nd was given instead? Yeah I guess. In the grand scheme of things its small bananas with some risk. Considering there is also a chance they get less then they got because they are the ones that are desperate. Yeah they could have gotten slightly better. They also could have gotten even worse. They hedged their bet early and didn't risk losing him for a 5th rounder right before the deadline when Florida says take it or leave it. Which they would have had to take no questions asked.

Tarasenko's NMC makes it impossible to know. For all we know, Florida was the only team he wanted to go to that also wanted him. (And potentially could fit him in under the cap). I can only guess that the reason Ott moved him asap was because the teams that fit all the criterion, I previously mentioned was equal to 1. Maybe 2.

There was definitely more supply than there were Tarasenko destination options. Once again based on what we can assume was a pretty specific amount of teams he'd go to.
Mar. 8 at 12:03 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Vladimir Tarasenko confirmed that the Florida Panthers were the only team he was willing to waive his no-trade clause for.

“This was the only place I was thinking about.”

So how does that GM conversation go?

Staios: Hey, Bill. It's Steve Staios.
Zito: Who?
Staios: Steve Staios, in Ottawa. You interested in Tarasenko?
Zito: Not really. We’re looking for more of a Barclay Goodrow type.
Staios: Goodrow’s got 6 career playoff goals. Tarasenko has 44. He’s a clutch player.
Zito: I don’t know. We’re happy with our top 6.
Staios: You can put him on the third line. Don’t you need depth scoring in the playoffs?
Zito: Why don’t you try Carolina? They need a goal scorer, and they’ve got two second round picks.
Staios: He doesn’t want go there. He’s got a no-move.
Zito: You’re kidding. I thought he almost signed there last summer.
Staios: He wants to play in Florida. He’s working with the Tkachuks’ uncle or something.
Zito: We don’t need him.
Staios: Everybody can use another scorer. What if somebody gets hurt? Make me an offer.
Zito: Oh, I don’t know. Ah… a 3rd and a 4th. I gotta go. I’ve got a meeting with Forsling’s agent.
Staios: Come on, Bill. I just started this job. Don’t make me look like a stooge.
Zito: Two thirds if we win the cup. That’s the best I can do. And you have to retain 50%. I don’t want to spend the rest of the week trying to clear cap space for a guy I don’t even need.
Staios: Can you give me a 2nd if I throw in Kubalik?
Zito: Go away.
Staios: Ok, we’ve got a deal.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 8 at 10:11 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: F50marco
I mean, what, moving a 4th to a 3rd instead? Maybe instead of both picks, one 2nd was given instead? Yeah I guess. In the grand scheme of things its small bananas with some risk. Considering there is also a chance they get less then they got because they are the ones that are desperate. Yeah they could have gotten slightly better. They also could have gotten even worse. They hedged their bet early and didn't risk losing him for a 5th rounder right before the deadline when Florida says take it or leave it. Which they would have had to take no questions asked.

Tarasenko's NMC makes it impossible to know. For all we know, Florida was the only team he wanted to go to that also wanted him. (And potentially could fit him in under the cap). I can only guess that the reason Ott moved him asap was because the teams that fit all the criterion, I previously mentioned was equal to 1. Maybe 2.

There was definitely more supply than there were Tarasenko destination options. Once again based on what we can assume was a pretty specific amount of teams he'd go to.

Look at the supply today vs the supply when they traded him. Huge difference. And yes, I am saying he should have absolutely netted them a 2nd, which I do not consider a small difference from the 3rd or 4th round. It's a sizable difference.
Mar. 8 at 10:48 a.m.
Banned
Kuznetsov, a player waived this week with 17 points and half retained is getting the same return as Tarasenko. Let that sink it.
Mar. 8 at 8:54 p.m.
Look at the supply today vs the supply when they traded him. Huge difference. And yes, I am saying he should have absolutely netted them a 2nd, which I do not consider a small difference from the 3rd or 4th round. It's a sizable difference.

That 2nd is looking like an early 3rd at this point with the way Florida is playing. Late 2nd this year vs an unknown 3rd next year and a potential late 3rd this year, if not 4th. I don't think its that big at all. Ultimately, there's no way to know if you or I are right. Its all just feeling. They got what they got. Maybe it could have been better, maybe not. Both are very possible.
Mar. 8 at 10:41 p.m.
Quoting: Andy_Dick
Kuznetsov, a player waived this week with 17 points and half retained is getting the same return as Tarasenko. Let that sink it.

How do you figure one Carolina 3rd is the same return as two Florida 3rds? Even if Florida doesn't win the cup and it's a 3rd and a 4th, that still sounds like more to me. (Don't tell me the Carolina pick is going to be higher, because when you get to that point in the draft, a few places don't matter much.)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit