Initial Creation Date: Mar. 12, 2024
Published: Mar. 12, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Best

1. 2nd Rd (R. Andersson) for Baetschi
2. Huberdeau, Weegar and 1st Rd for Tkachuck
3. Lucic, 3rd Rd for Neal
4. Hamilton for 1st, 2nd, 2nd (all Drafted players were busts)
5. Zadorov for 3rd (bust)

Worst

1. 2nd (Kyrou) 3rd for Elliott
2. 1st (Dobson), 2nd, 2nd (busts) for Hamonic
3. 1st Rd (Mesar), Pitlick, 4th, 5th for Toffoli
4. Lafferty for 5th Rd
5. Granlund for Shinkaruk
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
12$83,500,000$55,030,833$0$500,000$28,469,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 8
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the New York Islanders
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
RFA - 2
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$918,333$918,333
RW, C
RFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the New York Rangers
$787,500$787,500
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 12 at 2:30 p.m.
ht42
The worst Trevling trade is giving a 1st round pick to give up on Monahan...........
NucksnOilers liked this.
Mar. 12 at 2:38 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: ht42
The worst Trevling trade is giving a 1st round pick to give up on Monahan...........

You could argue the the trade was best he could do under the circumstances. But Trevling had put Flames in such a poor cap situation...that was the issue.
Just by going by the Flames record under Trevling. And his terrible resigning of Huberdeau to eight years. Why do ever get another GM job? Of course the Leafs have had a habit of signing poor GMs this century.
CD282 liked this.
Mar. 12 at 2:39 p.m.

It was a bad but necessary forced trade, that's why I didn't include it in my list. Also we don't know if Mon will Draft a Nhl, Ahl or bust with the pick.
Mar. 12 at 2:40 p.m.
Save Mcdavid
The Huby trade was a terrible trade from the start, he only made that move to buy himself time

He was forced to sign two guys to long-term deals who had both already peaked as a return for Tkachuck

The Lucic for Neal trade solved nothing for either team (not a win either)

Hamilton for those picks turned out to be fair value, those picks could have easily all been roster players and turned out bad for BT, he just got lucky that those picks were all busts

The Zadorov and SB deals were both good tho.

A lot of his "bad" trades aren't really his fault, you can't blame him that the other team made good selections with those picks either. That's out of his control entirely, the Elliot and Toffoli trades are hard to blame on him though the Hamonic one was downright disgusting from the start. The leafs picking him over Dubas may be the reason they don't win in the AM34 era
Mar. 12 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
You could argue the the trade was best he could do under the circumstances. But Trevling had put Flames in such a poor cap situation...that was the issue.
Just by going by the Flames record under Trevling. And his terrible resigning of Huberdeau to eight years. Why do ever get another GM job? Of course the Leafs have had a habit of signing poor GMs this century.

I guess I should do a Part 2 and look at Trev's best and worst signings.... Huberdeau makes the best trade list and worst signing lists...lol
palhal liked this.
Mar. 12 at 2:43 p.m.
ht42
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
It was a bad but necessary forced trade, that's why I didn't include it in my list. Also we don't know if Mon will Draft a Nhl, Ahl or bust with the pick.

They signed Kadri, and they traded Monahan two hours later. That's why.
Mar. 12 at 2:47 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I guess I should do a Part 2 and look at Trev's best and worst signings.... Huberdeau makes the best trade list and worst signing lists...lol

For sure. GMs do this all the time. They make a trade for an upcoming RFA or UFA and to justify the trade, they resign the player, often unwisely. I wonder if the Canucks are going to do the same with Lindholm this summer, He hasn't been that effective for the Canucks so far.
Imagine the TDL of 2023, the Flames who were out of the playoffs had traded upcoming UFAs Huberdeau and Weager, let's say for a first each
In effective three first rounders for Tkachuk and come the summer of 2023, the Flames would have had 16.75m in cap instead of Huberdeau and Weager.
Mar. 12 at 2:47 p.m.
Edited Mar. 12 at 2:54 p.m.
Quoting: NucksnOilers
The Huby trade was a terrible trade from the start, he only made that move to buy himself time

He was forced to sign two guys to long-term deals who had both already peaked as a return for Tkachuck

Hamilton for those picks turned out to be fair value, those picks could have easily all been roster players and turned out bad for BT, he just got lucky that those picks were all busts

A lot of his "bad" trades aren't really his fault, you can't blame him that the other team made good selections with those picks either. That's out of his control entirely, the Elliot and Toffoli trades are hard to blame on him though the Hamonic one was downright disgusting from the start. The leafs picking him over Dubas may be the reason they don't win in the AM34 era

Lucic trade was a win, at least he finished his contract, Neal was buyout and has been retired for 2 years now.

The Tkachuck situation was he was hell bent to get his UFA early and leave, so that trade was a big win, Trev's resigning of those 2 players only turned the trade into a loss, but trades, signings and Drafts are all 3 different categories with different inputs/factors to consider.
Mar. 12 at 2:48 p.m.
They signed Kadri, and they traded Monahan two hours later. That's why.

Kadri > Monahan
Mar. 12 at 2:48 p.m.
mokumboi
Wait... you think the Matty trade was his second best trade?
Mar. 12 at 2:49 p.m.
But the Flames lost the tkachuk trade badly
mokumboi and CD282 liked this.
Mar. 12 at 2:50 p.m.

But the contracts matter for the trade. He made the trade knowing they'd need contracts and knowing he'd have little leverage
mokumboi liked this.
Mar. 12 at 2:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: NucksnOilers

Disagree with you that Tkachuk trade was bad. Trevling didn't have to resign Huberdeau and Weager. Could have traded them the 2023 TDL for good assets and had 16.75m in cap space for those two players.
Leafs likely won't win under Trevling, but likely they weren't going to under Dubas either.
Mar. 12 at 2:51 p.m.
mokumboi
The Tkachuck situation was he was hell bent to his UFA and leave, so that trade was a big win, Trev's resigning of those 2 players only turned the trade into a loss, but trades, signings and Drafts are all 3 different categories with different inputs/factors to consider.

Hold on a minute... when you trade for a player and immediately extend him full bore, that's part of the trade conversation. Otherwise, you need to judge the trade on the return being two UFAs, a 1st that will be deferred four drafts by the time Calgary uses it and Schwindt. You can't have it both ways.
NucksnOilers and CD282 liked this.
Mar. 12 at 2:56 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
But the contracts matter for the trade. He made the trade knowing they'd need contracts and knowing he'd have little leverage

Why did they need new contracts? They were signed for one year and they would have been UFAs.

Remember Tkachuk was hell bent to be a UFA in a year. So the trade was Flames getting Huberdeau and Weager for a year and a first. Good trade for the Flames
Flames if they wanted could have got a good return for upcoming UFAs Huberdeau and Weager at the 2023 TDL.
Maybe the Flames would have got in effect three firsts for Tkachuk, and by not signing Huberdeau and Weager, 16.75m in cap the summer of 2023.
Mar. 12 at 3:01 p.m.
thats the wrong granlund.
Mar. 12 at 3:02 p.m.
Why did they need new contracts? They were signed for one year and they would have been UFAs.

Remember Tkachuk was hell bent to be a UFA in a year. So the trade was Flames getting Huberdeau and Weager for a year and a first. Good trade for the Flames
Flames if they wanted could have got a good return for upcoming UFAs Huberdeau and Weager at the 2023 TDL.
Maybe the Flames would have got in effect three firsts for Tkachuk, and by not signing Huberdeau and Weager, 16.75m in cap the summer of 2023.

But his motivation was to resign them.

Also, huberdeaus play would likely not have earned a 1st. Not sure about weegars either.
Mar. 12 at 3:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: mokumboi
Hold on a minute... when you trade for a player and immediately extend him full bore, that's part of the trade conversation. Otherwise, you need to judge the trade on the return being two UFAs, a 1st that will be deferred four drafts by the time Calgary uses it and Schwindt. You can't have it both ways.

Why? Huberdeau and Weager did not have any trade restrictions.

Don't you think one year of Tkachuk. for one year of Huberdeau, one year of Weager and first was good deal for the Flames?
I'm saying it shouldn't and maybe wasn't part of the trade discussion.
Flames foolishly rushed in to sign those two players to put on a public image of "Look what we got for Tkachuk"
A GM has to look down the road. Having 16.75m in cap space in summer of 2023 would have been a heck of better than having 14 years of Huberdeau and Weager. Plus if the Flames had decided to trade Huberdeau and Weager at TDL 2023 (they were upcoming UFAs), there are more assets from the trade.
I
Mar. 12 at 3:05 p.m.

Like I said every category gets different input from within the team management. Player contracts to not come down to an one on one with Trev and Huberdeau, those contracts had dozens of other people involved. Same goes for trades and drafting. Pridham in the Leafs organization gets more credit than Dubas during his time as a Leaf GM. Yet Dubas takes all the fame and blame yet it's the people behind the scenes who are the true heroes or scapegoats.
Mar. 12 at 3:07 p.m.
Quoting: drambui
thats the wrong granlund.

Yea, I just noticed afterwards there are 2 Granlunds... I thought Trev traded away the signing rights to the good Granlund.
drambui liked this.
Mar. 12 at 3:15 p.m.
Go Habs Go

I would agree to this but it made space for Kadri and the HABS traded Monahan for another 1st.

Basically HABS got 2x 1st RD picks for nothing but taking on Monahan`s cap.
Mar. 12 at 3:28 p.m.
mokumboi
Like I said every category gets different input from within the team management. Player contracts to not come down to an one on one with Trev and Huberdeau, those contracts had dozens of other people involved. Same goes for trades and drafting. Pridham in the Leafs organization gets more credit than Dubas during his time as a Leaf GM. Yet Dubas takes all the fame and blame yet it's the people behind the scenes who are the true heroes or scapegoats.

Ehh okaaaay. I do not think drafting and extended UFAs you traded for are alike as you suggest, but that's really neither here nor there. If the GM makes a trade like this and gets back two UFAs who must either be re-signed or let go, it should very much be included in the trade's judgement of quality. It's quite a reach to try separating those things.
Mar. 12 at 3:33 p.m.
mokumboi
Why? Huberdeau and Weager did not have any trade restrictions.

Don't you think one year of Tkachuk. for one year of Huberdeau, one year of Weager and first was good deal for the Flames?

I'm saying it shouldn't and maybe wasn't part of the trade discussion.

Plus if the Flames had decided to trade Huberdeau and Weager at TDL 2023 (they were upcoming UFAs), there are more assets from the trade.
I

1 - Okay, but neither did Tkachuk. Not at all sure why this is relevant. Not only was Tkachuk RFA, but his ability to refuse to re-sign with a team is the same thing as Hubie/Weehar having the ability to not sign with a team. So yeah, I don't know what the point is supposed to be here.

2 - No, I do not. I'm confused as to how anyone could think it was.

3 - Oh, it absolutely was and should be.

4 - Yes, more assets from a pair of TDL trades, which though not enough to justify trading Tkachuk, might have been better than what Calgary ended up with.
Mar. 12 at 4:50 p.m.
Edited Mar. 12 at 5:01 p.m.
Ehh okaaaay. I do not think drafting and extended UFAs you traded for are alike as you suggest, but that's really neither here nor there. If the GM makes a trade like this and gets back two UFAs who must either be re-signed or let go, it should very much be included in the trade's judgement of quality. It's quite a reach to try separating those things.

Forget the players ages, Flames thought they were in a win now mode, they traded a 100+ point winger with 1 yr remaining for a 100+ point winger and a top 4 dman both with 1 yr remaining and a 1st Rd pick.

That is a win.
Mar. 12 at 6:17 p.m.
mokumboi
Forget the players ages, Flames thought they were in a win now mode, they traded a 100+ point winger with 1 yr remaining for a 100+ point winger and a top 4 dman both with 1 yr remaining and a 1st Rd pick.

That is a win.

Sorry, but you cannot describe a guy who's had 100 points once and only gone over 78 twice in 11 seasons as a "100+ point winger". And like I said, they'll wait four years for the 1st. To top it all off, the main piece coming back was a hug flop and a main reason they did not go anywhere near winning now.
CD282 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll