SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Potential blockbuster draft trade

Team: 2023-24 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2024
Published: Mar. 17, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think this is a hot take but I’ll try it.
I think the next GM in Columbus should explore a trade for Werenski to Detroit. I feel like he doesn’t fit the CBJ style anymore and a trade could both help fix a weak defense in Cbus and give Z the chance he has always looked for, to play with Larkin again.
Trades
CBJ
  1. Edvinsson, Simon
Additional Details:
Option 1.) A deal centered around Edvinsson.
DET
    Werenski?
    CBJ
    1. Sandin Pellikka, Axel [Reserve List]
    Additional Details:
    Option 2.) Deal centered around Sandin Pellikka.
    DET
      Werenski?
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the LAK
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the NYR
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the CBJ
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      27$83,500,000$78,237,500$0$7,600,000$5,262,500
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
      $9,750,000$9,750,000
      LW
      NMC
      UFA - 6
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $775,000$775,000
      RW
      RFA - 2
      $1,525,000$1,525,000
      LW, C, RW
      RFA - 1
      $2,500,000$2,500,000
      C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      RW
      RFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000
      LW, C, RW
      RFA - 2
      $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,200,000$3M)
      C
      RFA - 3
      $800,000$800,000
      RW, LW
      RFA - 1
      $762,500$762,500
      LW, C
      UFA - 1
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      C
      RFA - 1
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $897,500$897,500
      C
      RFA - 2
      $975,000$975,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 1
      $8,700,000$8,700,000
      C, RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $775,000$775,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $775,000$775,000
      RW, LW
      RFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $9,583,333$9,583,333
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 5
      $6,250,000$6,250,000
      RD
      NTC
      UFA - 8
      $5,400,000$5,400,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $4,725,000$4,725,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $1,050,000$1,050,000
      G
      RFA - 2
      $2,333,333$2,333,333
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      $2,600,000$2,600,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $775,000$775,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
      $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
      LD
      RFA - 3
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
      LW, C
      RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Mar. 17 at 10:52 p.m.
      Option 3. No chance for either for multiple reasons.

Reason 1. Both players are developing very well and would be considered untouchable.

Reason 2. Detroit can't afford Werenki's cap hit next season.

Reason 3. Werenski have has a full season logged in quite a few years now. If we are going to pay that hefty price, payment and real dollars, we are going to need a guy that can put together at least a few full pulls out close to.
      JoeROFLCOPTER liked this.
      Mar. 17 at 11:05 p.m.
      Werenski is the best player on the jackets when healthy and it’s not really close. Neither of those guys have the ceiling to be what werenski is. He’s still young enough that he will still be good when the jackets are ready to compete so there’s no need to trade him.
      Viqsi and PantsOffnJacket liked this.
      Mar. 17 at 11:07 p.m.
      Z is not going anywhere.
      SK101 and PantsOffnJacket liked this.
      Mar. 17 at 11:18 p.m.
      That's a spicy take. I don't know how trading the guy who's probably next in line to be captain, fits the timeline, is clearly the best defenseman on the roster (and likely franchise history), and on many nights is the team's best player, does you any good. That's a player you change the team play style for, not one you ship out because he doesn't fit the team's style.

Honestly, it makes about as much sense as...Detroit moving Larkin to Columbus.
      Viqsi and PantsOffnJacket liked this.
      Mar. 18 at 12:35 a.m.
      Joe
      I think neither team does this smile
      Mar. 18 at 3:44 a.m.
      mokumboi
      Quoting: SK101
      Werenski is the best player on the jackets when healthy and it’s not really close. Neither of those guys have the ceiling to be what werenski is. He’s still young enough that he will still be good when the jackets are ready to compete so there’s no need to trade him.

Ehh Edvinsson absolutely has the ceiling to be as good as Werenski is. And as noted, Werenski has missed like 150 games over the last five seasons. "When healthy" is a rather sizable condition.
      Mar. 18 at 8:07 a.m.
      Quoting: mokumboi
      Ehh Edvinsson absolutely has the ceiling to be as good as Werenski is. And as noted, Werenski has missed like 150 games over the last five seasons. "When healthy" is a rather sizable condition.

I think you are underrating werenski. His even strength point production is behind Hughes, Hedman, and Makar. If the jackets didn’t have the worst PP in the league he’d be getting Norris votes this year even with missing some games. His defensive analytics are great as well. He’s a legit 1D. He’s a +4 playing top minutes on one of the worst teams in the league with some of the hardest deployment out of any defenseman in the entire league.
      Mar. 18 at 9:55 a.m.

Even if he has the ceiling, teams don't trade an established star that fits their timeline one-for-one for a similar player with an equal ceiling. The mystery box could be anything, even a boat!

It only makes sense if Werenski was on a deal expiring soon and didn't want to re-sign (which the opposite is true) or if Columbus decided to start another full rebuild right now (which, why would one of the youngest teams in the league with one of the best prospect pools already decide that's the best course of action?). Not knocking Edvinsson, it's just a matter of team construction.

If Columbus is purely looking for a stylistic and leadership change, it makes far more sense to move Jenner (who's older, on less term, the captain, and plays a slower, more physical style), but the team isn't even willing to have that conversation.
      CoachCoach liked this.
      Mar. 18 at 11:22 a.m.
      mokumboi
      I think you are underrating werenski. His even strength point production is behind Hughes, Hedman, and Makar. If the jackets didn’t have the worst PP in the league he’d be getting Norris votes this year even with missing some games. His defensive analytics are great as well. He’s a legit 1D. He’s a +4 playing top minutes on one of the worst teams in the league with some of the hardest deployment out of any defenseman in the entire league.

I know how good Werenski is. I think you're underestimating Edvinsson. And again, Werenski has only been fit about 60% of the last five seasons. That's a big chunk missing and a big concern.
      Mar. 18 at 11:25 a.m.
      mokumboi
      Quoting: CaseyFlyman
      Even if he has the ceiling, teams don't trade an established star that fits their timeline one-for-one for a similar player with an equal ceiling. The mystery box could be anything, even a boat!

It only makes sense if Werenski was on a deal expiring soon and didn't want to re-sign (which the opposite is true) or if Columbus decided to start another full rebuild right now (which, why would one of the youngest teams in the league with one of the best prospect pools already decide that's the best course of action?). Not knocking Edvinsson, it's just a matter of team construction.

If Columbus is purely looking for a stylistic and leadership change, it makes far more sense to move Jenner (who's older, on less term, the captain, and plays a slower, more physical style), but the team isn't even willing to have that conversation.

That's all fine and all, but I did not suggest Columbus would or should make the trade. I only commented that Edvinsson definitely has a ceiling to match or even top Werenski. Which he definitely does. He's not a "mystery box" by any stretch.
      CaseyFlyman liked this.
      Mar. 18 at 12:06 p.m.
      I know how good Werenski is. I think you're underestimating Edvinsson. And again, Werenski has only been fit about 60% of the last five seasons. That's a big chunk missing and a big concern.

Werenski definitely has some injury concerns but has been decently healthy outside of last year where he missed most of the season. Missing last season definitely skews his numbers. Also when werenski was edvinssons age he already had 3 seasons of NHL play averaging over 40 points. Werenski was outproducing edvinsson in the NHL compared to the AHL. Edvinsson will probably be very good and even a future top pair guy but I don’t think he has top 15-20 defenseman in the league potential. It doesn’t make sense for either team to make this trade.
      Mar. 18 at 12:28 p.m.
      mokumboi
      Werenski definitely has some injury concerns but has been decently healthy outside of last year where he missed most of the season. Missing last season definitely skews his numbers. Also when werenski was edvinssons age he already had 3 seasons of NHL play averaging over 40 points. Werenski was outproducing edvinsson in the NHL compared to the AHL. Edvinsson will probably be very good and even a future top pair guy but I don’t think he has top 15-20 defenseman in the league potential. It doesn’t make sense for either team to make this trade.

He was also limited to 35 games in 20-21. And who got to the NHL first is irrelevant when discussing ceiling. Look, man, it's not a putdown to say Edvinsson has a similar ceiling. He's a monster. He definitely has top 15-20 D in the league potential, if not top 10.

And again, I never remarked on the trade. I only noted Edvinsson's high ceiling.
      Mar. 18 at 1:54 p.m.
      He was also limited to 35 games in 20-21. And who got to the NHL first is irrelevant when discussing ceiling. Look, man, it's not a putdown to say Edvinsson has a similar ceiling. He's a monster. He definitely has top 15-20 D in the league potential, if not top 10.

And again, I never remarked on the trade. I only noted Edvinsson's high ceiling.

NHL season was only 56 games during the Covid year. So yes he missed a third of the season but not two thirds.

Fair enough. I’m just not as high on edvinsson. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree
      mokumboi liked this.
      Mar. 18 at 4:05 p.m.

Your other points are good ones but I would argue Werenski is part of the PP problem. While he's easily a top5 dman in the league in the offensive zone he's a terrible QB on the power play.
      Mar. 18 at 4:30 p.m.
      Quoting: tleaf28
      Your other points are good ones but I would argue Werenski is part of the PP problem. While he's easily a top5 dman in the league in the offensive zone he's a terrible QB on the power play.

My point on that was that his production suffers because the jackets powerplay is terrible. It’s hard to tell who is at fault for the PP but I wouldn’t put it all on werenski. I would say it’s partly because laine has been out almost the whole year and the coaching staff. Nobody has looked good on the PP

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll