Forums/Armchair-GM

Offseason change up actually becomes competitive

Created by: Leafsfan98
Team: 2024-25 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 21, 2024
Published: Mar. 21, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is from a Leafs fan... So, I'm not being biased for Ottawa in any trade...

Mantha: Stop gap option on the right side until Boucher's ready

Brodie: Solid defensive depth option on that right side, can help JBB become even better and gives Ottawa flexibility on PK

Sammy: Has found his game, very solid option in net and is capable of running a tandem of him and Soogard

Lindholm: Can replace Norris at a lesser cap and won't get injured as much, can also play wing if they want to stack the lines

You're welcome Ottawa
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$1,500,000
2$4,500,000
2$775,000
2$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$3,500,000
2$2,500,000
3$2,500,000
6$7,500,000
Trades
OTT
  1. 2025 4th round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
PICK BECOMES A 2026 3RD IF NJD MAKES THE PLAYOFFS AND KORPI PLAYS 30 GAMES FOR THE REMAINDER OF HIS CONTRACT WITH NEW JERSEY
NJD
  1. Korpisalo, Joonas
Additional Details:
Korpi/Allen tandem could work...

It doesn't work in OTT based on the defence but Korpi backing up NJD's stacked defence gives them a chance to win
OTT
  1. Kurashev, Philipp
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (DAL)
  3. 2026 2nd round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
Chicago gets Chabot to line up with heir defensive core, they'll have one stinky year when Korchinski's contract become an RFA deal, but they could move Chabot as well

If CHI's on Chabot's M-NTC, he waives to play PP1 with Bedard
CHI
  1. Chabot, Thomas
Additional Details:
Trade Chabot to gain cap space to spend on the right side...

Kurashev provides cheap depth scoring
OTT
  1. Cernak, Erik
Additional Details:
Tampa gets Norris to have the best centre depth in the league and increases their draft capital

Point
Cerelli
Norris

is fantastic
TBL
  1. Norris, Joshua
  2. 2024 1st round pick (BOS)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
Ottawa goes after Cernak to significantly improve their right side and gain cap space
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$87,700,000$88,034,047$850,000$82,500-$334,047
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 4
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 7
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C, RW
UFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
RFA
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
UFA
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C
RFA - 2
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
RFA
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,050,000$8,050,000
LD
UFA - 8
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,200,000$5,200,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 7
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
RFA
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD, LW
RFA
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD/RD
UFA
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$805,000$805,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 21 at 10:50 a.m.
Kurashev has been stappled to Bedard for while now, and the Hawks like what they have at LD (for the future at least lol). I doubt they accept this.
Hawksguy81, SociallyHawkward, Garak and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:04 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: DangleCat
Kurashev has been stappled to Bedard for while now, and the Hawks like what they have at LD (for the future at least lol). I doubt they accept this.

Wyatt Kaiser can't be upgraded by Chabot?
Mar. 21 at 11:07 a.m.
Devils, Hawks and lightning all decline. Chabot is not a player the Hawks would target in a trade. They are loaded w/ young LD. All Chabot does does is block Kaiser and DelMastro from getting NHL ice time. And Tampa Bay has Nick Paul as their 3C. They aren't trading their best defensive D man, giving up a 1st and adding almost $3m in cap hit for a player who doesn't really fit in their lineup.
SociallyHawkward, Garak, DangleCat and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:11 a.m.
Hawks have zero interest in Chabot.
Garak, DangleCat, Jco5ta5 and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:12 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98

I did not say he wouldn't be an upgrade I said I don't want to give up Kurashev who is showing good chemistry with Bedard. I also said I like the hawks LD for the future: Korch, Vlassic, Del Maestro, and Allan, etc.
Hawksguy81 and Snowhawk18 liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:13 a.m.

Not with his 8 mil cap hit. Hawks are already overpaying jones. They don't need another overpayed defenseman.
Hawksguy81, Garak, Jco5ta5 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:16 a.m.
Even if the 2nd round picks were going to CHI, CHI declines. CHI isn't helping OTT clear cap space and simultaneously taking on the most expensive years of Chabot's contract, which also happens to be the first year his M-NTC kicks in, and more than likely will not age well. We're good. I'd bet CHI is one of the teams on that "No Trade List", anyway. Kurashev is worth more than Chabot in my opinion, for various reasons. Not to mention CHI has zero interest in LD, especially not an overpaid one.
LivingAnew, Jco5ta5, Hawksguy81 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:17 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Hawksguy81
Devils, Hawks and lightning all decline. Chabot is not a player the Hawks would target in a trade. They are loaded w/ young LD. All Chabot does does is block Kaiser and DelMastro from getting NHL ice time. And Tampa Bay has Nick Paul as their 3C. They aren't trading their best defensive D man, giving up a 1st and adding almost $3m in cap hit for a player who doesn't really fit in their lineup.

Hawks: IDK, Chabot-Jones seems like a good pairing, would all Chabot to have a better season for 2 years, makes the Hawks better which makes Bedard happy and can be trade with term at 4 mill 2 years from now

Tampa: They are trading Cernak FOR a 1st+3rd+Norris. Tampa could then put Point on the wing with Kuch and Cerelli or with Norris and could run Norris, Cirelli, Paul or could move Paul to the wing with Hagel or Stamkos in place of Sheary and do much better... They also receive a 1st to load up at TDL if they want to

IDK how you got Tampa sending a 1st, bc it's Ottawa who's sending the 1st
Hawksguy81 liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:18 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: SociallyHawkward
Not with his 8 mil cap hit. Hawks are already overpaying jones. They don't need another overpayed defenseman.

Quoting: Garak
Even if the 2nd round picks were going to CHI, CHI declines. CHI isn't helping OTT clear cap space and simultaneously taking on the most expensive years of Chabot's contract. Which, more than likely will not age well. We're good. Kurashev is worth more than Chabot in my opinion, for various reasons. Not to mention CHI has zero interest in LD, especially not an overpaid one.

So, your saying you wouldn't want to flip Kurashev and 2 2nds for the Potential of a bigger haul from Chabot increasing in value as he's likely to get better?
Mar. 21 at 11:20 a.m.
So, your saying you wouldn't want to flip Kurashev and 2 2nds for the Potential of a bigger haul from Chabot increasing in value as he's likely to get better?

Chabot isn't worth more. He is older, overpaid, has an M-NTC, on a contract that won't age well.
LivingAnew liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:22 a.m.

Also, if that is the case, how about OTT just sells their own player and then pays us straight up for Kurashev?
LivingAnew and Snowhawk18 liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:24 a.m.

No they're not going to gamble on Chabot magically playing better on a worse team.
LivingAnew and Snowhawk18 liked this.
Mar. 21 at 11:27 a.m.
Chabot is an excellent player, of course; he's just not a fit for the Hawks. He'd impede the development of our LD pipeline. The Hawks would be foolhardy to have a major part of this value as being "flippable" for a terrific return, too... All kinds of future, unforeseen things (injuries, etc) can change that consideration - in a hurry.

Now, if the Sens want to dump Zub, instead... Perhaps something could be worked out for him, but that'd be an entirely different deal.
Mar. 21 at 11:28 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Chabot isn't worth more. He is older, overpaid, has an M-NTC, on a contract that won't age well.

Chabot's what? 27? So the contract's until 31, when defensemen are in their prime?
Mar. 21 at 11:29 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
No they're not going to gamble on Chabot magically playing better on a worse team.

*Chabot playing better with more opportunity*
Mar. 21 at 11:32 a.m.
Hawks: IDK, Chabot-Jones seems like a good pairing, would all Chabot to have a better season for 2 years, makes the Hawks better which makes Bedard happy and can be trade with term at 4 mill 2 years from now

Tampa: They are trading Cernak FOR a 1st+3rd+Norris. Tampa could then put Point on the wing with Kuch and Cerelli or with Norris and could run Norris, Corelli, Paul or could move Paul to the wing with Hagel or Stamkos in place of Sheary and do much better... They also receive a 1st to load up at TDL if they want to

IDK how you got Tampa sending a 1st, bc it's Ottawa who's sending the 1st

Yep. I read that Tampa trade wrong. But they probably still decline. Can't see them wanting to add another $8m a year forward (who has legit health concerns by the way) while weakening their blue line at the same time. Cernak is the Bolts best defensive D man by a mile. Won't say he's untouchable, but trading him for another highly paid top 6 forward makes no sense.

As for Chabot, he and Jones on a pair together would be a trainwreck. Who's actually playing D on that pair? Vlasic seems like an excellent partner for Jones, and Vlasic is only going to get better. And Chabot isn't an $8m a year D man any more than Jones is a $9.5m a year D man. Two overpaid blue liners on the same roster? No thanks. I'm not sure Chabot half retained is any easier to trade than Jones half retained would be.
Mar. 21 at 11:34 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Yep. I read that Tampa trade wrong. But they probably still decline. Can't see them wanting to add another $8m a year forward (who has legit health concerns by the way) while weakening their blue line at the same time. Cernak is the Bolts best defensive D man by a mile. Won't say he's untouchable, but trading him for another highly paid top 6 forward makes no sense.

As for Chabot, he and Jones on a pair together would be a trainwreck. Who's actually playing D on that pair? Vlasic seems like an excellent partner for Jones, and Vlasic is only going to get better. And Chabot isn't an $8m a year D man any more than Jones is a $9.5m a year D man. Two overpaid blue liners on the same roster? No thanks. I'm not sure Chabot half retained is any easier to trade than Jones half retained would be.

They could go after a Cernak replacement with the assets they receive from the Norris trade... It could work and Tampa gets another chance at a cup

Isn't Jones good at defence?
Mar. 21 at 11:34 a.m.
Chabot's what? 27? So the contract's until 31, when defensemen are in their prime?

I said older, meaning older than Kurashev by a significant margin. And CHI will be rebuilding... during his so called "prime years". Also, that it is speaking way too generally to begin with. Also, you seemed to gloss over the rest of my original post. They are the most expensive years of his entire contract AND he has an M-NTC that kicks in next year which includes a 10 team no trade list... Nah. CHI is good. Pay for Kurashev if you want, but CHI isn't doing the whole "taker our guy and flip him" deal. If he was flippable, OTT could just move him to a team that is interested and has a need for LD.
Mar. 21 at 11:37 a.m.
*Chabot playing better with more opportunity*

Chabot wouldn't get anymore opportunity. Jones is still better than Chabot. Jones would get that pp1 time and Chabot would be 2nd or 3rd pair with either Murphy or whoever the hawks sign in free agency
Mar. 21 at 11:41 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I said older, meaning older than Kurashev by a significant margin. And CHI will be rebuilding... during his so called "prime years". Also, that it is speaking way too generally to begin with. Also, you seemed to gloss over the rest of my original post. They are the most expensive years of his entire contract AND he has an M-NTC that kicks in next year which includes a 10 team no trade list... Nah. CHI is good. Pay for Kurashev if you want, but CHI isn't doing the whole "taker our guy and flip him" deal. If he was flippable, OTT could just move him to a team that is interested and has a need for LD.

Ok then... IMO, would be smart to do that... But what do I know, guys like Sakic and Yzerman do that all the time
Mar. 21 at 11:42 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Chabot wouldn't get anymore opportunity. Jones is still better than Chabot. Jones would get that pp1 time and Chabot would be 2nd or 3rd pair with either Murphy or whoever the hawks sign in free agency

Chabot would be pair 1 with Jones and would be PP1 either with Jones or over Jones...
Mar. 21 at 11:51 a.m.
They could go after a Cernak replacement with the assets they receive from the Norris trade... It could work and Tampa gets another chance at a cup

Isn't Jones good at defence?

Go after a Cernak replacement with what cap space? Tampa is already adding $2.7m swapping Cernak for Norris. How many shutdown RD guys are going to be available for under $3m, which is likely all the cap space Tampa would have if they make this deal. Nope, Tampa just keeps Cernak.

I'd put Jones defensive abilities on the same level as Chabot's. Say average at best. They are the same player. Offensive D men who struggle at times in their own end. These two DO NOT make a good pair. Especially not a top pair!
Mar. 21 at 11:55 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Go after a Cernak replacement with what cap space? Tampa is already adding $2.7m swapping Cernak for Norris. How many shutdown RD guys are going to be available for under $3m, which is likely all the cap space Tampa would have if they make this deal. Nope, Tampa just keeps Cernak.

I'd put Jones defensive abilities on the same level as Chabot's. Say average at best. They are the same player. Offensive D men who struggle at times in their own end. These two DO NOT make a good pair. Especially not a top pair!

TDL... with double retention, allows them to load up and the cap should increase roughly to 92.5 which allows them to resign that replacement...

F-_lcozWYAALXOn.jpg:large

1k5xz7lb9swb1.jpg

Most recent JFresh cards I could find for free...

It looks like they would do well together IMO
Mar. 21 at 12:10 p.m.
TDL... with double retention, allows them to load up and the cap should increase roughly to 92.5 which allows them to resign that replacement...

F-_lcozWYAALXOn.jpg:large

1k5xz7lb9swb1.jpg

Most recent JFresh cards I could find for free...

It looks like they would do well together IMO

Those JFresh cards prove my point exactly! A Chabot/Jones pair is not good defensively. Very good offensively. Below average defensively.

Regardless of what you might think, you've had 4 other Hawks fans plus me tell you the Hawks aren't trading for Chabot. Chabot isn't a need nor is he a good fit for the Hawks. Time to accept that trade isn't a good one and move on.
SociallyHawkward liked this.
Mar. 21 at 12:14 p.m.
I’d rather keep Chabot over that package personally. He’s a bit overpaid but it’s not like he’s a 2m player @8m, more likely a 6.5mish guy. Chabot-Chychrun is an awful pairing, mainly because they both don’t play a lick of defence. Chabot needs a steady, stay at home guy who can move the puck to be at his best. Matt Roy, DeMelo etc. would be perfect partners for him. I’d rather move Chychrun to be honest! Lower cap hit is more appealing to teams so can likely get a better package!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll