Forums/Armchair-GM

Trying something a little different in D and G

Created by: mcgruff16
Team: 2024-25 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 5, 2024
Published: Apr. 5, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lots of different stuff w/ this one. Big 3-way action w/ AZ and NYR. Wings get retained Trouba and RFA Durzi (couple local-ish boys) on RD, NYR gets picks/prospect and cap space, AZ gets good pick and prospects and a semi-$hit D for 2 years.

Another big 3-way w/ ANA and BOS. Anaheim helps w/ retention both ways on the goalie trades, so Boston ends up w/ an experienced, relatively cheap backup G plus prospect and picks, ANA ends up w/ 20 goals from Fabbri for a year. (maybe they need another pick but I'm not editing it now)

Wings sign Reinhart and Amadio for goals and depth, respectively. Call up a couple of kids and here we go for 24-25 playoffs.

Petry gets shot out of a cannon or bought out, whichever comes first.

What did I miss?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
3$5,750,000
8$8,700,000
2$1,250,000
2$850,000
4$4,750,000
2$795,000
2$795,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$775,000
1$875,000
2$1,350,000
1$950,000
7$8,700,000
Trades
DET
  1. Trouba, Jacob ($4,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
3-way w/ AZ; NYR get B- prospect and two picks.
NYR
  1. Lombardi, Amadeus
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (DET)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Durzi, Sean [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
+$4M retention for Trouba
AZ gets a cond 1st, NHL-ready F and A- D prospect, which should cover Durzi, paying to take Holls contract and Trouba retention.
DET
    3 way w/ ANA and BOS--Ana gets 20 NHL goals w/ injury history for a year for double retaining the goalies--retaining Husso to BOS and Ulmark to DRW, both for a year.
    DET
    1. Ullmark, Linus ($2,000,000 retained)
    Additional Details:
    BOS receives retained Husso (assumed healthy) plus B prospect, 2nd and 4th
    BOS
    1. Söderblom, Elmer
    2. 2024 2nd round pick (DET)
    3. 2026 4th round pick (DET)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the DET
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$87,700,000$86,900,973$0$1,850,000$799,027
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 7
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    RW
    UFA
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 4
    $5,100,000$5,100,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $7,875,000$7,875,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $905,833$905,833
    LW
    RFA - 2
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C, LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $918,333$918,333 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
    C
    RFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C
    RFA
    $1,350,000$1,350,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    RD
    RFA
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    LD/RD
    RFA
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 5 at 12:49 p.m.
    You're paying out the ass to add Durzi and Trouba when you could just throw $6M at Matt Roy...

Not to mention $8.7M per for Sam Reinhart is almost immediately regretted.
    FireLordZuk0 liked this.
    Apr. 5 at 12:53 p.m.
    Thats quite a lot to give up to acquire Durzi and Trouba while taking out Holl. I also dont see Reinhart going for that cheap
    Apr. 5 at 12:54 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    A rental who has never hit 20 goals in a season is not payment for eating 5 million bucks and two retention spots.

Anaheim would.be basically paying Fabbri 9 million dollars for a season, go offer this to Chicago or someone else who needs help reaching the cap floor (SJ can't because they're using all their retention spots)
    Apr. 5 at 1:03 p.m.
    Quoting: GiggywithGibby
    A rental who has never hit 20 goals in a season is not payment for eating 5 million bucks and two retention spots.

Anaheim would.be basically paying Fabbri 9 million dollars for a season, go offer this to Chicago or someone else who needs help reaching the cap floor (SJ can't because they're using all their retention spots)

For the record, I didn't specify 20 NHL goals, he did score 25 in 30 games w/ Guelph. He might score 20 this year but like I said in my comment above the Wings would need to add a pick to that trade I just didn't feel like editing it.
    Apr. 5 at 1:04 p.m.
    Quoting: RazorSeider53
    You're paying out the ass to add Durzi and Trouba when you could just throw $6M at Matt Roy...

Not to mention $8.7M per for Sam Reinhart is almost immediately regretted.

Yeah I've done that a few times already I wanted to try something different. I didn't say better, just different. Plus Roy is only one dude, they would still need another RD and Holl isn't it.

You're probably right about Reinhart but I thought about either him or Guentzal as a big FA addition.
    Apr. 5 at 1:10 p.m.
    Quoting: FireLordZuk0
    Thats quite a lot to give up to acquire Durzi and Trouba while taking out Holl. I also dont see Reinhart going for that cheap

I wouldn't be surprised if Reinhart stays on the Panthers
    Apr. 5 at 1:14 p.m.
    I’d be surprised if Boston would take that for Ullmark. Would rather just lose him outright in 2025 and get his play vs middling picks and a mediocre prospect.

Remove the 4th and change the prospect to one in the Willander/Mazur range. Probably Willander.
    Apr. 5 at 1:17 p.m.
    Quoting: Celtics21
    I’d be surprised if Boston would take that for Ullmark. Would rather just lose him outright in 2025 and get his play vs middling picks and a mediocre prospect.

Remove the 4th and change the prospect to one in the Willander/Mazur range. Probably Willander.

Well they'd be getting Husso for $2.5/year-ish too so that's something (if he's healthy) Swayman is getting paid this summer, so I was thinking that him at $6M+ plus Ulmark at $5M is a whole lot to spend in goal.
    Apr. 5 at 1:19 p.m.
    Quoting: mcgruff16
    Yeah I've done that a few times already I wanted to try something different. I didn't say better, just different. Plus Roy is only one dude, they would still need another RD and Holl isn't it.

You're probably right about Reinhart but I thought about either him or Guentzal as a big FA addition.

If you sign Roy, The other RD is likely Chiarot.
    Apr. 5 at 1:27 p.m.
    GM
    You had me at b-prospect...
    Boston declines. Quickly.
    Edited Apr. 5 at 1:54 p.m.
    Well they'd be getting Husso for $2.5/year-ish too so that's something (if he's healthy) Swayman is getting paid this summer, so I was thinking that him at $6M+ plus Ulmark at $5M is a whole lot to spend in goal.

Husso is not an asset he is a cap dump, even with retention,and we have to many goalies as is. They have a pair of top 10 goalies in AHL same age as Swayman, neither will be waiver exempt next year. They will compete for the backup role and the loser will be waived and hope he clears or traded.

You have underpaid us for Ullmark, a pick outside the top 40 in a shallow draft, and you want us to take an unwanted cap dump.

Way off.

2nd/Buium. If you want to push the pick to 25 hoping it’s a later pick than 24, i’m fine with that. Husso is your problem to figure out.
    Apr. 5 at 1:35 p.m.
    Future Ducks legend
    For the record, I didn't specify 20 NHL goals, he did score 25 in 30 games w/ Guelph. He might score 20 this year but like I said in my comment above the Wings would need to add a pick to that trade I just didn't feel like editing it.

"Would give Anaheim 20 goals" pretty clearly implies NHL goals, otherwise he's not giving them to Anaheim, he's giving them to San Diego.

And unless it's a first to eat 5 million in salary and Fabbri whom we don't want, we're not interested.
    Apr. 5 at 2:21 p.m.

That’s not a positive. The primary reason for trading Ullmark would be the presence of Brandon Bussi in the AHL. Husso would likely be buried, so he’s a loss of 1.5m in cap room just by taking him.

And there are a lot of teams with crappy goaltenders. Offering up a player who led the league in GSAx/60 last year and is in the top 3 this year among goalies with 30 starts this year shouldn’t be a hard sell.

With our cap position, keeping him is an easy decision if an offer isn’t good.

We will likely lose him as a pending fa next year, but I view that as our insurance policy rental and 5m coming off the cap in 2025 is actually a responsible thing when I look at cap position of the team if they sign one big dollar free agent this offseason
    Apr. 5 at 2:25 p.m.
    Bcarlo25

they've got internal options they like for backup goalie. i think to trade ullmark in division, they'll need a first.
    Apr. 5 at 2:33 p.m.
    Quoting: Bcarlo25
    they've got internal options they like for backup goalie. i think to trade ullmark in division, they'll need a first.

They have a couple prospects when paired with a second would be sufficient. William Wallinder or Carter Mazur (though I am not as big on him as others) are two prospects that paired with a second round pick would be interesting
    Apr. 5 at 2:55 p.m.
    Am Yisrael Chai
    Rangers pass. Not retaining for that return.
    Apr. 5 at 3:08 p.m.

Who in the world cites Junior stats negotiating an NHL player in their late 20s…..

In that case, two time 50 goal scorer Anthony Mantha is gonna demand $9M+ in UFA.
    Apr. 5 at 3:34 p.m.
    Quoting: RazorSeider53
    Who in the world cites Junior stats negotiating an NHL player in their late 20s…..

In that case, two time 50 goal scorer Anthony Mantha is gonna demand $9M+ in UFA.

Obviously I was kidding, c'mon. He will likely hit 20 this year anyway, he's pretty close and so streaky he should get there. I would be surprised if someone doesn't pay Mantha $5M+/year this summer which is crazy.
    Apr. 5 at 4:16 p.m.
    Joe
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but Detroit's paying:
    A 1st
    A young middle-6 forward,
    Two 3rds,
    Two solid prospects
    All for
    A UFA in Sean Durzi
    Notable defensive phenom Jacob Trouba (retained oh my god!),
    Dumping a contract that is a 1M AAV buyout,
    Dumping a contract that doesn't even affect the cap cause it's stuck on LTIR
    Dumping a slightly overpaid .5 PPG player

Jeez! How difficult!

In less of an asshole response, the Reinhart signing would undoubtedly age terribly. He has the 2nd highest shooting percentage in the league (unsustainable).
    Apr. 5 at 4:34 p.m.
    Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but Detroit's paying:
    A 1st
    A young middle-6 forward,
    Two 3rds,
    Two solid prospects
    All for
    A UFA in Sean Durzi
    Notable defensive phenom Jacob Trouba (retained oh my god!),
    Dumping a contract that is a 1M AAV buyout,
    Dumping a contract that doesn't even affect the cap cause it's stuck on LTIR
    Dumping a slightly overpaid .5 PPG player

Jeez! How difficult!

In less of an asshole response, the Reinhart signing would undoubtedly age terribly. He has the 2nd highest shooting percentage in the league (unsustainable).

I think you spent more time organizing this than I spent doing the entire ACGM but I can paraphrase even more: the wings improve and get younger on D, improve their ability to score goals on F while promoting two youngsters, and improve significantly in goal. All the moves as a whole are to free up cap and roster spots to sign their RFAs, (and possibly overpay for Reinhart)

I'm sure you noticed, but all the secondary scoring dried up when Larkin got hurt, and their D isn't good enough to win 1-0 games so they really need more dynamic players (younger than Kane) and I'm hoping Reinhart provides this along w/ Raymond and Kasper as he develops. The cost of all of that are bits and pieces unlikely to help the team now, if ever. Durzi's an RFA btw.
    Apr. 5 at 4:36 p.m.
    Quoting: Stanley_Cup_To_Manhattan
    Rangers pass. Not retaining for that return.

The Rangers aren't retaining, you missed most of the details of the trade; look at the AZ part.
    Apr. 5 at 4:43 p.m.
    Joe
    I think you spent more time organizing this than I spent doing the entire ACGM but I can paraphrase even more: the wings improve and get younger on D, improve their ability to score goals on F while promoting two youngsters, and improve significantly in goal. All the moves as a whole are to free up cap and roster spots to sign their RFAs, (and possibly overpay for Reinhart)

I'm sure you noticed, but all the secondary scoring dried up when Larkin got hurt, and their D isn't good enough to win 1-0 games so they really need more dynamic players (younger than Kane) and I'm hoping Reinhart provides this along w/ Raymond and Kasper as he develops. The cost of all of that are bits and pieces unlikely to help the team now, if ever. Durzi's an RFA btw.

Apologies for me looking at the value at which Detroit is paying to improve the defense (which should improve simply by removing the **** and having Edvinsson and Johansson be on the roster full time).

I'm also not sure we should be paying 9M for 8 years for a guy who, although is good, is scoring at an extremely unsustainable rate. That's how you end up with a Huberdeau contract.

As for goalies, I understand the desire to buy now, I'm personally in the boat of let Cossa and Augustine cook.
    Apr. 5 at 5:46 p.m.
    Am Yisrael Chai
    The Rangers aren't retaining, you missed most of the details of the trade; look at the AZ part.

Ok, still won’t accept anything short of a 1st and NYR would retain 50% to make that work.
    Apr. 5 at 11:28 p.m.
    AZ easy pass - no want for holl, no want to trade durzi, and take 2x 4m retention this is easy decline

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll