Forums/Armchair-GM

If Georgiev blows it

Created by: GiggywithGibby
Team: 2024-25 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 22, 2024
Published: Apr. 22, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Visual for what a Georgiev/Gibson swap could look like with Landeskog's return.

I was adamant earlier in the year that mitts was going to cost 7, but the guys fumbled the bag since he got to Denver, even 6 might be rich at this point, or maybe he gets a one year bridge to see if he can actually adapt to Colorado's system.

Yes, I'm aware the roster isn't complete, I don't know the Avs depth well, so I left the roster incomplete to shows there's just shy of $5M to finish it out.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
6$6,000,000
Trades
COL
  1. Gibson, John ($1,400,000 retained)
  2. Lundeström, Isac [RFA Rights]
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (BOS)
ANA
  1. Colton, Ross
  2. Georgiev, Alexandar
  3. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the COL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$87,700,000$82,887,500$0$0$4,812,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$12,600,000$12,600,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$9,250,000$9,250,000
RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
RFA
$6,125,000$6,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, LW
RFA
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$837,500$837,500
G
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 22 at 2:07 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
@Cub19 thoughts?
Apr. 22 at 2:11 p.m.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Cub19 thoughts?

I wouldn't mind that trade except idk about 1st rd.

But colton has been underwhelming this year and he could be replaced with trenin.
Apr. 22 at 2:14 p.m.
"If" HAHAHAHA
Andy_Dick liked this.
Apr. 22 at 2:15 p.m.
Quoting: Cub19
I wouldn't mind that trade except idk about 1st rd.

But colton has been underwhelming this year and he could be replaced with trenin.

How on earth do you view Colton as being underwhelming? Confused
Apr. 22 at 2:19 p.m.
Quoting: TJTwolf
How on earth do you view Colton as being underwhelming? Confused

Being paid 4 million he's been underwhelming.
Apr. 22 at 2:24 p.m.
Edited Apr. 22 at 2:29 p.m.
I don't think there's any question the Avs are going to have to look to fix the goalie issue, but maybe they bank on him fixing whatever is wrong with him in the off season, who knows at this point. It isn't that Georgie has been really bad, just average, as has been the defensive play in front of him and average doesn't win cups, and I've been defending him for much of the season (more than his actual D have!) He just never looks like he's going to steal one for you which is what you need from any goalie at some point during the season. When you put 6 past Hellebuyck, you have to expect the goalie to pull off one or two of the big stops that give you the win, not just be average. Can't see CH having another game like that (and it's not like he actually played badly either) in the series and it could be a 4-0 whitewash.

As for the trade, not sure about the Avs giving up that first round pick tbh. The parts may make sense in some respects but I think the Avs decline.
Apr. 22 at 2:27 p.m.
Is John Gibson the answer? I’m not sold
TJTwolf liked this.
Apr. 22 at 2:28 p.m.
Quoting: Cub19
Being paid 4 million he's been underwhelming.

You've been watching a different Colton to me then.
Apr. 22 at 2:33 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
I don't think there's any question the Avs are going to have look to fix the goalie issue, but maybe they bank on him fixing whatever is wrong with him in the off season, who knows at this point. It isn't that Georgie has been really bad, just average, as has been the defensive play in front of him and average doesn't win cups, and I've been defending him for much of the season (more than his actual D have!) He just never looks like he's going to steal one for you which is what you need from any goalie at some point during the season. When you put 6 past Hellebuyck, you have to expect the goalie to pull off one or two of the big stops that give you the win, not just be average. Can't see CH having another game like that (and it's not like he actually played badly either) in the series and it could be a 4-0 whitewash.

As for the trade, not sure about the Avs giving up that first round pick tbh. The parts may make sense in some respects but I think the Avs decline.

I watched last night's replays as well, 6/7 goals were glove side high. Winnipeg's scouting report on him clearly drilled down on that weakness. Not saying all of them were his fault, but the poor guy looks completely cooked out there.

For as bad as Gibsons stats have been the last few years, I believe he would have fared a lot better in that game, he's much more active/aggressive with his stick to prevent cross crease passes (Georgiev got burner 2 or 3 times by this) and he usually gets the first save buying his defense time to bail him out (Anaheims just hasn't) which isn't what Georgiev was able to do last night. Yeah, the defense was sloppy, but he needs to be making that first save and he just isn't.

With regards to the trade, you guys don't have much in the way of assets to work with, and a 2nd round pick is coming back. If Ritchie is off limits then you're talking about 1sts, and I don't think any team who has a goalie is going to be interested in waiting three seasons for that pick to come through. Behrens and Gulyayev are of no interest to us, and other prospects like Olausson etc just don't look like they're going to do anything at the NHL level.

Plus, you guys aren't the only ones in the market, NJ, Buffalo, maybe Ottawa, LA are all looking for goalies this off-season.
TJTwolf liked this.
Apr. 22 at 2:50 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: turtlemountain
Is John Gibson the answer? I’m not sold

Georgiev clearly isn't. The UFA market is paper thin this season and even if there was a good option, you guys don't have the cap space to go hunting. This years headliners are Talbot, Nedeljkovic, and Samsonov.

Gibson, Markstrom, and maybe Ullmark are available on the market, but neither Boston or Calgary are likely interested in taking Georgiev the other way. Boston can't retain any salary and Calgary notoriously won't retain salary if there's term remaining.

And you guys aren't the only ones looking. New Jersey, Buffalo, Ottawa, Los Angeles, Toronto are all going to be trying to figure out their goaltending this off season.

Maybe you can convince someone to give you back one of your old goalies on the cheap in Grubauer or Kuemper since they've apparently lost their starting spots in their new homes.
Apr. 22 at 2:50 p.m.
I watched last night's replays as well, 6/7 goals were glove side high. Winnipeg's scouting report on him clearly drilled down on that weakness. Not saying all of them were his fault, but the poor guy looks completely cooked out there.

For as bad as Gibsons stats have been the last few years, I believe he would have fared a lot better in that game, he's much more active/aggressive with his stick to prevent cross crease passes (Georgiev got burner 2 or 3 times by this) and he usually gets the first save buying his defense time to bail him out (Anaheims just hasn't) which isn't what Georgiev was able to do last night. Yeah, the defense was sloppy, but he needs to be making that first save and he just isn't.

With regards to the trade, you guys don't have much in the way of assets to work with, and a 2nd round pick is coming back. If Ritchie is off limits then you're talking about 1sts, and I don't think any team who has a goalie is going to be interested in waiting three seasons for that pick to come through. Behrens and Gulyayev are of no interest to us, and other prospects like Olausson etc just don't look like they're going to do anything at the NHL level.

Plus, you guys aren't the only ones in the market, NJ, Buffalo, maybe Ottawa, LA are all looking for goalies this off-season.

Saying Gibson would have been better than Georgiev last night isn’t saying much.

I wouldn’t be paying premium assets to pay John Gibson $5M for the next 3 seasons.
TJTwolf liked this.
Apr. 22 at 2:53 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: turtlemountain
Saying Gibson would have been better than Georgiev last night isn’t saying much.

I wouldn’t be paying premium assets to pay John Gibson $5M for the next 3 seasons.

You don't exactly have any other assets outside of 1st round picks to use, and again, that's why a second is coming back your way. Goalie market is going to be unpalatable expensive this off-season, you best come to grips with paying a price you're not going to want to stomach, or somehow pray you guys don't have to send Georgiev to the glue factory next season.
Apr. 22 at 2:58 p.m.
Georgiev clearly isn't. The UFA market is paper thin this season and even if there was a good option, you guys don't have the cap space to go hunting. This years headliners are Talbot, Nedeljkovic, and Samsonov.

Gibson, Markstrom, and maybe Ullmark are available on the market, but neither Boston or Calgary are likely interested in taking Georgiev the other way. Boston can't retain any salary and Calgary notoriously won't retain salary if there's term remaining.

And you guys aren't the only ones looking. New Jersey, Buffalo, Ottawa, Los Angeles, Toronto are all going to be trying to figure out their goaltending this off season.

Maybe you can convince someone to give you back one of your old goalies on the cheap in Grubauer or Kuemper since they've apparently lost their starting spots in their new homes.

You don't exactly have any other assets outside of 1st round picks to use, and again, that's why a second is coming back your way. Goalie market is going to be unpalatable expensive this off-season, you best come to grips with paying a price you're not going to want to stomach, or somehow pray you guys don't have to send Georgiev to the glue factory next season.

Replying to both comments at once.

Probably all 3 of those headline guys come in less than $5M. But this is all part of the problem: lay people (and NHL teams lol) don’t really know how to evaluate goalies. Kuemper and Grub were both solid in Colorado. They both left for $5M+ contracts and now lost their starting jobs. Same thing happened with Jack Campbell and countless other goalies.

It’s easy to freak out about Georgiev after that trash showing. But it’d also be bad to spend a bunch of money on netminders and still not have a true #1. That’s the bet the Avs took. It looked fine last year, it looked awful last night.
Apr. 22 at 3:45 p.m.
I like this trade from the ANA pov. Reasonable retention, addresses a need for a defensive 3C who has some scoring potential and has decent value with the 1st being added

Can’t speak for COL though
Apr. 22 at 4:52 p.m.

I think the second rounder being late and making it basically a full round step down is probably too much. If it were the Anaheim 2nd rounder then I'd probably consider it, with it being much of a muchness this year after Celebrini and maybe a handful of others) from probably 15 through to about pick 40. They'd maybe still have a shot at drafting Sennecke (my personal choice - seems to be ranked anywhere from about 19th to not in the top 40 so obviously pretty divisive) to keep building on his chemistry with Ritchie (and yes he'd definitely be off limits in most scenarios including this one) or at least a higher chance guy who might come through in the future. Looking at Sundestrom having arb rights is also possibly an issue. Not sure he'll be as low as 1.5 when currently on 1.8 even though he's regressed somewhat statistically. Even after all that I'm still not sure Gibson is the answer.

On the subject of the Mitts deal I think he may get lower term, lower cap hit and bank on himself adapting to the Avs game and earning a better deal later. Might also allow them to keep Trenin and/or Drouin somehow.
Apr. 22 at 5:45 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
I think the second rounder being late and making it basically a full round step down is probably too much. If it were the Anaheim 2nd rounder then I'd probably consider it, with it being much of a muchness this year after Celebrini and maybe a handful of others) from probably 15 through to about pick 40. They'd maybe still have a shot at drafting Sennecke (my personal choice - seems to be ranked anywhere from about 19th to not in the top 40 so obviously pretty divisive) to keep building on his chemistry with Ritchie (and yes he'd definitely be off limits in most scenarios including this one) or at least a higher chance guy who might come through in the future. Looking at Sundestrom having arb rights is also possibly an issue. Not sure he'll be as low as 1.5 when currently on 1.8 even though he's regressed somewhat statistically. Even after all that I'm still not sure Gibson is the answer.

On the subject of the Mitts deal I think he may get lower term, lower cap hit and bank on himself adapting to the Avs game and earning a better deal later. Might also allow them to keep Trenin and/or Drouin somehow.

If it's the Anaheim 2nd then there is no reason for Anaheim to consider the trade as only moving up ~10 spots isn't even worth the retention on Gibson for three seasons.
TJTwolf liked this.
Apr. 22 at 8:58 p.m.
If it's the Anaheim 2nd then there is no reason for Anaheim to consider the trade as only moving up ~10 spots isn't even worth the retention on Gibson for three seasons.

Yeah I don't think it works for either team then.
Apr. 22 at 9:03 p.m.
Banned
Mitts is getting 7M with the rising cap and arbitration rights. The Avs also wont walk him to free agency, its long term or they deal him (most likely) unless they stash Landeskog on LTIR and that is only a temp solution, regardless.
Apr. 23 at 3:39 p.m.
You've been watching a different Colton to me then.

Colton did EXACTLY what they paid him to do -- career high in points with 40, won 51% of faceoffs for a team that's never over 50%, added grit and solidified 3C.
TJTwolf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll