SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

Apr. 28 at 3:54 p.m.
Rip
2 more days off will be good for the team. While I have no confidence, it would be nice to see them make a series out of this at least.
Apr. 28 at 3:54 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Berube's system won STL a cup lul

But a system alone is not enough these boyz actually have to try to lul

Babcock's system won Detroit a cup, let's bring him back.

You're giving Berube way too much credit. STL won the Cup on a miracle run. Huge PDO bender. They weren't some dominant team. And since then they've had about as much playoff success as the Leafs and even missed out last year. Got himself fired this season.
Apr. 28 at 3:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: RipNasty
Babs was a different time, they were all young players and were underdogs. You give Babs and Keefe a pass. You always give Sammy a pass and now everyone but the core is getting a pass.

I dont give them a pass but just blamming all the problems on the coach and ignoring the underperforming players is silly

Again this team goes no where if the big boyz do not perform

Does not matter who is in net
Does not matter who you surround them with
Does not matter the coach or assistants

If they do not score and or perform we go no where

For almost 9 years TOR has built around them added, let go of and traded away players to make room for these 4 guys and so far it has not worked

Enough is enough no more trimming along the edges its time to fix the issue at the core

MJ said it best

https://twitter.com/mike_p_johnson/status/1784433360258883785
Apr. 28 at 3:59 p.m.
Rip
I dont give them a pass but just blamming all the problems on the coach and ignoring the underperforming players is silly

Again this team goes no where if the big boyz do not perform

Does not matter who is in net
Does not matter who you surround them with
Does not matter the coach or assistants

If they do not score and or perform we go no where

For almost 9 years TOR has built around them added, let go of and traded away players to make room for these 4 guys and so far it has not worked

Enough is enough no more trimming along the edges its time to fix the issue at the core

MJ said it best

https://twitter.com/mike_p_johnson/status/1784433360258883785

The players do what the coach says and it's the same every playoffs. They are following Keefe's system and it doesn't work. Changing the coach makes a lot more sense than blowing it up and trading elite players for older worse players so we can what? Get 30 year old FA's to also not produce?
Apr. 28 at 4:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 28 at 4:18 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

You're giving Berube way too much credit. STL won the Cup on a miracle run. Huge PDO bender. They weren't some dominant team. And since then they've had about as much playoff success as the Leafs and even missed out last year. Got himself fired this season.

Babcock should be no where near a hockey rink with his off ice creepy antics and 1950's style especially with the stories that came out his late DET dayz. That guy should be banned from the NHL

I would argue for the blues the main issue was management not knowing how to replace the guys they lost/traded away even the fans felt the same when he was let go. Like letting Pietrangelo walk because you extended Faulk who yah traded for was a what yah doing moment. Plus Binnington did fall off the face of the earth for a few years before somewhat resurging. I remember that bubble team and they could not buy a save from either guy.

He's a guy I would not mind as maybe he can whip these boyz into shape and turn them into men. Make them play like they want it especially in playoffs.

Cause yea other than him options be Boudreau (pls no), Evason, Gallant, Woodcroft, McLellan, Smith, Lambert, Queneville (people gonna hate it but he's getting a job at some point)

Maybe they can steal Brid'Amour as CAR apparently are hesitating to pay him but yea its gonna be interesting who they decide on

But of all the resume's out there Berube's is the best right now unless MLSE go **** it and sign the other guy

Now that could change if Sullivan and the Penguins decide to part ways but idk if that happens
Apr. 28 at 4:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The players do what the coach says and it's the same every playoffs. They are following Keefe's system and it doesn't work. Changing the coach makes a lot more sense than blowing it up and trading elite players for older worse players so we can what? Get 30 year old FA's to also not produce?

Again your just excusing their underperformances blaming the coach when the fact of the matter is they also need to perform.

Starting 2024-2025 9 years these players have been here with 2 different head coaches and it has not worked

9 years is enough time to see what you have and know if its working or not. And so far what have we learned 3 or soon 4 guys in double digits is not a recipe for success
Apr. 28 at 4:16 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
And why do Bertuzzi and Domi have points? They play with Matthews. Don't give them credit for what he's done. After Matthews left the game yesterday, Bertuzzi and Domi were invisible.

Ok, and why would that be a bad thing? Not everyone can play with superstars. And I didn’t see the game Yesterday but I can’t really comment on that, but Marners been invisible most of the series so what’s your point?
Apr. 28 at 4:18 p.m.
Babcock should be no where near a hockey rink with his off ice creepy antics and 1950's style especially with the stories that came out his late DET dayz.

I would argue for the blues the main issue was management not knowing how to replace the guys they lost/traded away even the fans felt the same when he was let go. Like letting Pietrangelo walk because you extended Faulk who yah traded for was a what yah doing moment. Plus Binnington did fall off the face of the earth for a few years before somewhat resurging. I remember that bubble team and they could not buy a save from either guy.

He's a guy I would not mind as maybe he can whip these boyz into shape and turn them into men. Make them play like they want it especially in playoffs.

Cause yea other than him options be Boudreau (pls no), Evason, Gallant, Woodcroft, McLellan, Smith, Lambert

Maybe they can steal Brid'Amour as CAR apparently are hesitating to pay him but yea its gonna be interesting.

But of all the resume's out there Berube's is the best right now.

Now that could change if Sullivan and the Penguins decide to part ways but idk if that happens

It was very clearly sarcasm
aadoyle liked this.
Apr. 28 at 4:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
It was very clearly sarcasm

Figured just wanted to make my statement on that man as the stories coming out just give me the creeps lul

But yea whoever gets the coaching job I think we can all agree

Good luck to them as the media will be like Vultures and he/she got a lot of work to do

Yes I do think all options should be explored including a potential first female HC
Apr. 28 at 4:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited Apr. 28 at 7:02 p.m.
London scores on the empty net. They will be 10-0 in the playoffs, running something like a 17 game win streak starting prior to the playoffs.

Up 2-0 in the series over the memorial cup hosts.

****ing love it
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 28 at 4:41 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Bingo! The revisionist history surrounding that STL cup run is astounding. Berube sucks and hiring him would be a lateral move.
Apr. 28 at 5:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Bingo! The revisionist history surrounding that STL cup run is astounding. Berube sucks and hiring him would be a lateral move.

It really wouldnt be a lateral move considering he's a better coach than Keefe when it comes to getting playoff performances

A lateral move would be Evason, Gallant, Wood, etc.

In general there is nobody out there that would be a major step above Keefe come regular season performances, its playoffs we want. Unless Sullivan or Brind'Amour magically becomes available or MLSE goes **** it and hires he who shall not be named the majority of moves are either lateral or downgrades
Apr. 28 at 5:48 p.m.
Rip
Again your just excusing their underperformances blaming the coach when the fact of the matter is they also need to perform.

Starting 2024-2025 9 years these players have been here with 2 different head coaches and it has not worked

9 years is enough time to see what you have and know if its working or not. And so far what have we learned 3 or soon 4 guys in double digits is not a recipe for success

Of course everyone needs to perform. But when the gameplan is so obviously bad, how do you give the coach a pass?
Apr. 28 at 5:52 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf
Ok, and why would that be a bad thing? Not everyone can play with superstars. And I didn’t see the game Yesterday but I can’t really comment on that, but Marners been invisible most of the series so what’s your point?

Marner has been more noticeable than most. But he's everyone's whipping boy now so all anyone wants to see is flaws. The game plan doesn't work. For anyone, why do only 4 players (3 of which are or were or are hurt/sick) get all the blame and everyone else gets a pass or praise. Domi and Bert have been given clean passes and have done nothing. No one has done anything apart from Matthews when he wasn't sick. The coach's plan doesn't work and never has. He's the biggest problem on the team.
Apr. 28 at 6:06 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: CameronSquires
I can’t say Matthews doesn’t want it. Apparently according to reports Matthews had to be forced out of the game by doctors due to medical concerns.

Doesn’t sound like he wanted to stop

Sure... But that's 11.6/50+ million dollars that's being allocated to a star player that wants it...

That's not good enough IMO
Apr. 28 at 6:08 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I think they want to win. And personally I think they are doing what they are told and it's just not working. They do the same thing every year under Keefe. Every year it's the same thing, the team can't score and gets scored on too much. They are never prepared and they don't adjust. Keefe sucks.

Not buying it...

When Nylander's saying: "Stop whining, Marner, This isn't Junior anymore" and you have Matthews yelling at Marner and, potentially Nylander to wake up... It's the guys knowing their teammates aren't giving enough effort
Apr. 28 at 6:14 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Of course everyone needs to perform. But when the gameplan is so obviously bad, how do you give the coach a pass?

What does Keefe have to work with here:
Matthews: Sick
Marner: Casper
Nylander: Migraines
JT: 33, can't carry the team
Rielly: Been good, but not a game breaker
Bert and Domi: Solid complementary players, but not stars
Dcore: Not good enough
Sammy: Borderline unusable

Please, tell me why Keefe doesn't get a pass here
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 28 at 6:22 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Not buying it...

When Nylander's saying: "Stop whining, Marner, This isn't Junior anymore" and you have Matthews yelling at Marner and, potentially Nylander to wake up... It's the guys knowing their teammates aren't giving enough effort

You are bending that situation to fit your hatred of Marner.
Apr. 28 at 6:26 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
You are bending that situation to fit your hatred of Marner.

Watch the lips...

And which players on the Leafs played Junior and is a forward?
JT, Marner, Domi, Robertson come to mind...

Nylander turned right to, M. Marner, Bertuzzi and Matthews as he said it leaving Marner

He also said "Stop whining M___, this isn't junior anymore"

So, has Matthews played Junior? And would Willy insult a player playing sick or the one without intensity?

Very obvious
Apr. 28 at 6:34 p.m.
Rip
What does Keefe have to work with here:
Matthews: Sick
Marner: Casper
Nylander: Migraines
JT: 33, can't carry the team
Rielly: Been good, but not a game breaker
Bert and Domi: Solid complementary players, but not stars
Dcore: Not good enough
Sammy: Borderline unusable

Please, tell me why Keefe doesn't get a pass here

Because it has never mattered who is on the team. No one produces in the playoffs. Domi and Bertuzzi prove that without a shadow of a doubt. They disappeared after Matthews left the game. The game plan does not work. It doesn't matter who plays if the game plan sucks. Keefe's system gets exposed in the playoffs. Columbus shut him down. Montreal did next. Then Tampa and then Florida and now Boston. Keefe has been out coached every year in the playoffs. He's not a good coach.
Apr. 28 at 6:37 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Because it has never mattered who is on the team. No one produces in the playoffs. Domi and Bertuzzi prove that without a shadow of a doubt. They disappeared after Matthews left the game. The game plan does not work. It doesn't matter who plays if the game plan sucks. Keefe's system gets exposed in the playoffs. Columbus shut him down. Montreal did next. Then Tampa and then Florida and now Boston. Keefe has been out coached every year in the playoffs. He's not a good coach.

Bertuzzi had an assist, no? And they both helped with the following Willy chance...

If Matthews wasn't sick, they'd each have way more points already
Apr. 28 at 6:37 p.m.
Rip
Watch the lips...

And which players on the Leafs played Junior and is a forward?
JT, Marner, Domi, Robertson come to mind...

Nylander turned right to, M. Marner, Bertuzzi and Matthews as he said it leaving Marner

He also said "Stop whining M___, this isn't junior anymore"

So, has Matthews played Junior? And would Willy insult a player playing sick or the one without intensity?

Very obvious

Doesn't matter what he said, it's just another small moment among a whole game that is getting blown way out of proportion. All so the emotional fools can go off on it.

We get it, you hate Marner. Anything you say about him is so heavily biased towards the negative that none of it has any credibility. Marner will be blamed by you no matter what.

He could dominate game 5 and get 5 points and it'll be his fault they lose 6-5.
Apr. 28 at 6:39 p.m.
Rip
Bertuzzi had an assist, no? And they both helped with the following Willy chance...

If Matthews wasn't sick, they'd each have way more points already

Because of Matthews. This is the nonsense self justification that makes conversations with too many people impossible. Bertuzzi and Domi were brought in to be playoff difference makers. And they have not made a difference.

The gameplan is the same as it's been every year under Keefe and apart from a lucky series vs Tampa, he's been beat every time. The game plan does not work.

Let's get a proper coach and see what happens.
Apr. 28 at 8:49 p.m.
I am excusing no one.

I know you (like I) want Keefe fired and wanted him gone at least a year ago if not longer but the coach stuff aside, this core of players has NOT done enough over the 3-4 years. The coach stuff is what it is but need to expect more and better out of the core.

When you compare this core to other top players in the playoffs (McDavid, Draistl, MacKinnon, Makar, Zabinejad, Aho, the list can keep going) what the Leafs are getting out of these guys is not nearly enough.

It's okay to admit that, I promise.
aadoyle and Trickster liked this.
Apr. 28 at 9:17 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I have to say, as I watch more and more junior hockey I think its becoming very clear to me that the NHL needs to raise the draft age back to 19. I like Woolly for example, and the Hunters are trusting him as a rookie with fairly large minutes and NHLCSS has been bumping him up the rankings quickly, but at his age and usage its really hard to get a good grip on what a guy is going to be.

Look at Julien. Last year he played half the season on the 4th line, and was out of the lineup/in junior B the rest of the year and now he has 74 points after being drafted in the 5th round by the jets. If the age were 19 he would go so much higher. Same deal with guys like Cowen.

Raising the age would hurt like 2 guys a year tops (this year it would be Bedsy and Benson) and we both know that won't harm them long term.

The covid year where everything got cancelled was the year to do this and I'm a bit upset they didn't. Could have just pushed the entire draft and increased the age

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll