SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

Apr. 29 at 11:56 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
Biz is looking for clicks. It's nonsense and so so on brand for your type to ignore McCabe's stupid hit attempt that sort of took Matthews out of the play as well. McCabe gets into scrums so that means he's good eh?

Keefe getting a pass as well from you is just crazy. He's literally talking to the media saying he's not worried about urgency, he's optimistic. Are you serious Keefe? He's a passenger. I think he suggests stuff to players never demands it. He has no urgency, and neither do his players. B

Matthews was so sick, he could barely move... so IDK what you are talking about... Don't make a lazy play, then make a lazy line change...

Keefe has to be optimistic... There's nothing else he can do at this point
Apr. 29 at 12:10 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Matthews was so sick, he could barely move... so IDK what you are talking about... Don't make a lazy play, then make a lazy line change...

Keefe has to be optimistic... There's nothing else he can do at this point

You are hopeless
Apr. 29 at 12:30 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Why are people surprised that we lost because we couldn't score enough?
Not me, I called it before the season started that we lost alot of goal scoring but people argued we have the scoring and needed other things to help the scoring come alive.

Proof is in the pudding

I'll admit Domi, Bertuzzi, and Reaves all played better than I thought they might in the regular season however not enough went it matters.

Yes our core group failed to show up yet again but that is not new

Fire Keefe
Trade Marner
Move on from Samsonov

Add new bodies and hope the new additions are enough to spark change, the only other option is to rebuild and gift some other teams some amazing players.

The sell on the Marner trade to me is simple.
Tell him we can't afford you on a new deal give us chance recoup something for you while we can and you can start over somewhere else
oneX and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 12:56 p.m.
McDavid is the best player in the world. He can make something out of nothing more than anyone else. However they also have the luxury of playing in a much weaker division. LA is not Boston, Tampa or Florida.

Comparing Edmonton and TO is a bad comparison. Because Edmonton goes as far as McDavid takes them and eventually they will take on a team with a defenceman who can slow McDavid down and then the Oilers lose. Happens every year.

The Edmonton/Toronto thing was comparing coaching which I pointed out but you ignored that anyway..cool, whatever.

Marner gets paid like a top player in this league so will and should be compared to other top players as well. It comes with the territory.
Apr. 29 at 12:57 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
Why are people surprised that we lost because we couldn't score enough?
Not me, I called it before the season started that we lost alot of goal scoring but people argued we have the scoring and needed other things to help the scoring come alive.

Proof is in the pudding

I'll admit Domi, Bertuzzi, and Reaves all played better than I thought they might in the regular season however not enough went it matters.

Yes our core group failed to show up yet again but that is not new

Fire Keefe
Trade Marner
Move on from Samsonov

Add new bodies and hope the new additions are enough to spark change, the only other option is to rebuild and gift some other teams some amazing players.

The sell on the Marner trade to me is simple.
Tell him we can't afford you on a new deal give us chance recoup something for you while we can and you can start over somewhere else

What player(s) are you thinking of here? In the Marner trade that is.
Apr. 29 at 1:01 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: oneX
The Edmonton/Toronto thing was comparing coaching which I pointed out but you ignored that anyway..cool, whatever.

Marner gets paid like a top player in this league so will and should be compared to other top players as well. It comes with the territory.

Edmonton's coaching hasn't worked either
oneX liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:11 p.m.
Edmonton's coaching hasn't worked either

Yes...it hasn't but McDavid and Draisaitl still show up every game. That was the point. Your coaching is whatever it is but you still control your effort and your smarts but it doesn't seem like that's been the case with our core.
Apr. 29 at 1:19 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
You are hopeless

Another ironic comment... You are so good at this irony thing
Apr. 29 at 1:35 p.m.
Rip
Another ironic comment... You are so good at this irony thing

The irony is you are just wrong but too stubborn to admit it. You also won't even consider anything that doesn't fit your exact feelings on the topic.
Apr. 29 at 1:41 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
The irony is you are just wrong but too stubborn to admit it. You also won't even consider anything that doesn't fit your exact feelings on the topic.

The irony is you are just wrong but too stubborn to admit it. You also won't even consider anything that doesn't fit your exact feelings on the topic is more-so for you... You refuse to look at anything other than player x=good
coach y=bad
Apr. 29 at 1:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 29 at 2:00 p.m.
Yes...it hasn't but McDavid and Draisaitl still show up every game. That was the point. Your coaching is whatever it is but you still control your effort and your smarts but it doesn't seem like that's been the case with our core.

In general we have seen those two be hungry heck NSH vs. Van

Van has lost both their goalies and now are on their #3 but rallied a comeback final 2mins than won in OT why

They hungry and their stars showed up specifically Boeser scoring 2 goals to tie it

Matthews, Marner, and JT have now shown a hunger yet. Nylander I cant say as he was out till game 4 and we dont know what % of him were getting. Game 5 is do or die lets see if we get hungry big 4 or whiney bench boyz
oneX liked this.
Apr. 29 at 1:54 p.m.
Rip
The irony is you are just wrong but too stubborn to admit it. You also won't even consider anything that doesn't fit your exact feelings on the topic is more-so for you... You refuse to look at anything other than player x=good
coach y=bad

I am not the one blaming a guy for everything, including goals scored when he's not even on the ice.
Apr. 29 at 1:54 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
In general we have seen those two be hungry heck NSH vs. Van

Van has lost both their goalies and now are on their #3 but rallied a comeback final 2mins than won in OT why

They hungry and their stars showed up specifically Boeser scoring 2 goals to tie it

Matthews, Marner, and JT have now shown a hunger yet. Nylander I cant say as he was out till game 4 and we dont know what % of him were getting. Game 5 is do or die lets see if we get hungry big 4 or whiney bench boyz

I would be pretty happy facing Nashville over Boston right now.
Apr. 29 at 3:20 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: palhal
Would be funny (though maybe not realistic) if the Leafs win game 5. Back on the bandwagon.

Buddy this is 100% going to 7 games
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 3:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
Buddy this is 100% going to 7 games

Yea I could see 6 or 7

Game 5 in BOS I can see

Game 6 in TOR is a toss up as this team for some reason has lost 6 in a row at home
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 3:51 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
What player(s) are you thinking of here? In the Marner trade that is.

Well unsurprisingly my focus will to upgrade the D.

I'd target Roy at 5 if possible but go to 6 if necessary and Montour about the same, maybe a tad more.

To trade Marner I can see Utah being fit with Keller coming OR package (Crowse, Doan,etc...) return however I have this image in my mind of Marner in Flyers uniform, not sure what it it takes but say Konecny and Frost would awesome.

I think there would be alot interest in Marner IMO but he will drive where he goes no question.

For a goalie solution, KK seems like the obvious choice from agency but about the same as we have had.

For trade scenario I like Gustavsson from Minny, maybe they bite and give their young guy the ropes more.
Apr. 29 at 4:09 p.m.
Rip
Keefe refusing to name a starter for game 5 could very well mean he's going back to Sammy. He has to be fired in the off season.
Apr. 29 at 4:10 p.m.
Rip
I think we all need to try to be positive now. Let's push everything else away and just see what happens. Teams have come back from 3-1 deficits. This core needs to do something special sometime why not now.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 4:17 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Keefe refusing to name a starter for game 5 could very well mean he's going back to Sammy. He has to be fired in the off season.

Yup, there’s no justification for starting Sammy in game 5. None at all

As for firing Keefe, I really don’t see any downside to that. Shanahan too
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 29 at 4:20 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
I think we all need to try to be positive now. Let's push everything else away and just see what happens. Teams have come back from 3-1 deficits. This core needs to do something special sometime why not now.

Whats the definition of insanity again lol?

All jokes aside, I agree the door isn’t completely closed on a comeback. But there’s no reason to expect it in the slightest. Best to go into it expecting a loss and if they can give us 3 wins, then great!
RipNasty liked this.
Apr. 29 at 4:21 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yup, there’s no justification for starting Sammy in game 5. None at all

As for firing Keefe, I really don’t see any downside to that. Shanahan too

Gonna go out on a limb here and say that Sammy hasn't been the issue. Him getting pulled last game was more a reflection of the team than it was of him. I don't think its gonna matter whether it is Sammy or Woll in net. If the skaters don't figure their **** out quickly we're gonna lose
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 4:26 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Looking a bit ahead, the Leafs are currently likely to have the 22nd draft pick this year (23 if Vegas doesn't make the 3rd round).
I'm really hoping MBN falls to us there. How often do you get a chance to draft a Norwegian?
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Apr. 29 at 4:26 p.m.
Looking a bit ahead, the Leafs are currently likely to have the 22nd draft pick this year (23 if Vegas doesn't make the 3rd round).
I'm really hoping MBN falls to us there. How often do you get a chance to draft a Norwegian?

I doubt he does tbh, but yeah that'd be a great pickup in that spot.
Apr. 29 at 4:38 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Saskleaf
Whats the definition of insanity again lol?

All jokes aside, I agree the door isn’t completely closed on a comeback. But there’s no reason to expect it in the slightest. Best to go into it expecting a loss and if they can give us 3 wins, then great!

I am as guilty as anyone for being negative on this team. But today I woke up and decided to be positive. I think the game plan just won't ever work and really 3 of the core 4 are sick/hurt and how far does any team go with 3 of their stars hurt? Would Edmonton survive McDavid and Draisaitl hurt? Nope. How would Colorado do if MacKinnon, Makar and Rantanen were out?

Maybe Matthews gets healthy, Willy gets up to speed and Marner has a big game? That could swing some momentum towards to.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 29 at 4:39 p.m.
Rip
Gonna go out on a limb here and say that Sammy hasn't been the issue. Him getting pulled last game was more a reflection of the team than it was of him. I don't think its gonna matter whether it is Sammy or Woll in net. If the skaters don't figure their **** out quickly we're gonna lose

Sammy allows 3 goals a playoff game. That's his entire career and none of the goals against in game 3 looked great. He absolutely is a problem.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll