SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Coaches Challenge Rule

Sep. 7, 2017 at 11:31 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
If a coach challenges the play and the call on the ice stands, now that they get the penalty, they get to keep their timeout, correct?
Sep. 7, 2017 at 11:43 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
I don't believe so
Sep. 7, 2017 at 11:49 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz
I don't believe so

where did you read that?
Sep. 8, 2017 at 3:22 a.m.
Oh God, say it ain't so........
Sep. 8, 2017 at 7:19 a.m.
From my understanding if you have an unsuccessful off-sides challenge (the only challenge this affects) you lose your timeout and get a 2 minute penalty.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 11:08 a.m.
This rule change is placed into the fate of human error. Teams can now get punished for the offical(s)/Toronto getting the change wrong (Forsberg "offside" goal).

Personally, the "perfect game" is a game with human error. Just do away with the challenges in all sports
Sep. 8, 2017 at 11:33 a.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
This rule change is placed into the fate of human error. Teams can now get punished for the offical(s)/Toronto getting the change wrong (Forsberg "offside" goal).

Personally, the "perfect game" is a game with human error. Just do away with the challenges in all sports

100% agree. I get that they want to get it right, but challenges kill the flow of a game.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 11:57 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
This rule change is sponsored by the Pittsburgh Penguins Association of Referees to Keep Nashville Away From the Cup (PPAoRtKNAFtC).

I think this is a good rule; other than that this puts even more of the game in the refs hands. All we can do is hope is that the refs and Pittsburgh have contract disputes so they won't be signed in time for the season.
Pasta88Sauce liked this.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 12:19 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: ON3M4N
From my understanding if you have an unsuccessful off-sides challenge (the only challenge this affects) you lose your timeout and get a 2 minute penalty.

ok, though i do believe it's only for offsides.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 1:18 p.m.
From my understanding, they are wanting to stop coaches from challenging an offside play unless the see a definitive view that shows it is indeed offsides. A lot of coaches were using their challenge on a play even if they didn't think it would be overturned, to get the long time out for their team and allow them to regroup after the goal. This should prevent that from happening, but still allow a team to challenge if a goal is obviously scored on an offside play.
Sep. 8, 2017 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Quoting: ON3M4N

ok, though i do believe it's only for offsides.

Right, which is what I said
Sep. 8, 2017 at 6:41 p.m.
Philly Sports Fan
too much money involved in pro sports to not make an effort to get the calls right. I'd rather sit for a minute or 2 and get it right. The NFL has so many commercial breaks, who would notice when a play is under review? I like how the NFL has copied NHL with the "war room" and tablet.

my idea - review last for 90 seconds, otherwise inconclusive. 2 minutes for delay of game or loss of time out if wrong.
Sep. 9, 2017 at 2:56 a.m.
Quoting: Munsen88
too much money involved in pro sports to not make an effort to get the calls right. I'd rather sit for a minute or 2 and get it right. The NFL has so many commercial breaks, who would notice when a play is under review? I like how the NFL has copied NHL with the "war room" and tablet.

my idea - review last for 90 seconds, otherwise inconclusive. 2 minutes for delay of game or loss of time out if wrong.

Not a bad idea, but 90 seconds is too long. Once referees have the tablet in their hand, 30 seconds. If they can't determine in 30, inconclusive. Also I think you have to make a clear choice for incorrect challenge, and I'm ok with 2 min penalty AND loss of timeout. It will hugely decrease the number of challenges....
Sep. 9, 2017 at 9:49 a.m.
If everyone wants 100% accuracy, then eliminate all human error. But you can't do that because the players have human error.

Reviews in sports should be done away with. I want to see sports, not some official I yell at during the game to see if the call is right.
Sep. 10, 2017 at 2:26 a.m.
If everyone wants 100% accuracy, then eliminate all human error. But you can't do that because the players have human error.

Reviews in sports should be done away with. I want to see sports, not some official I yell at during the game to see if the call is right.

But when it gets specific and the Flyers are in the cup game don't you want them to get it right?
Sep. 10, 2017 at 10:28 a.m.
Quoting: PaulDunnill

But when it gets specific and the Flyers are in the cup game don't you want them to get it right?

The circumstance doesn't change the thesis of the idea. The idea is that there should be no reviews in sports. The perfect game in my mind is one that involves human error, not robotic perfection. I don't care if its game seven, 5OT in the Stanley Cup; the review should be eliminated.
Sep. 10, 2017 at 10:39 a.m.

The circumstance doesn't change the thesis of the idea. The idea is that there should be no reviews in sports. The perfect game in my mind is one that involves human error, not robotic perfection. I don't care if its game seven, 5OT in the Stanley Cup; the review should be eliminated.

No such thing as "The Perfect Game", just another dumb saying (from south of the border) that people WANT to believe.
Sep. 10, 2017 at 10:44 a.m.

No such thing as "The Perfect Game", just another dumb saying (from south of the border) that people WANT to believe.

South of what border? The ideal/perfect game is the game with imperfections, in my opinion. There is no 100% accuracy game, nor should there be.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll