Who would you rather
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 24, 2018 at 8:56 a.m.
get ur corsi up
Keep contract and age in mind.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.
PAUL STASTNY OR ADAM HENRIQUE

Jokes aside, honestly I'd go ROR. He's signed at a better contract than Toews, produces better than Toews, and he's just as defensively responsible. I'm not paying Toews an extra $4M to give me some more leadership squinty smile
Daryl and palhal liked this.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 5:47 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
It's a common, "Take may overpaid player because he provides leadership." " Take my overpaid player, he has won a Cup"
Mar. 24, 2018 at 9:16 p.m.
HawksFan28
I don't know how anyone could choose O'Rielly. lol

Of course resume's don't matter - they prove nuffin' lol..

Toews is superior in every way. Toews is a player you build a team around - Toews IS a guy a team was built around and look how that turned out..

I don't even know how this is a legitimate poll.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 9:20 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: palhal
It's a common, "Take may overpaid player because he provides leadership." " Take my overpaid player, he has won a Cup"

You're damn right!

The funny thing is Toews has 3 Cup rings and O'Reilly has 0 and will always have 0.

I don't even understand how someone can just throw a resume out the window and pretend it doesn't exist....
Mar. 24, 2018 at 9:27 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: HawksFan28
You're damn right!

The funny thing is Toews has 3 Cup rings and O'Reilly has 0 and will always have 0.

I don't even understand how someone can just throw a resume out the window and pretend it doesn't exist....

I wasn't talking even talking about this trade specifically. But thanks for reminding me about a 3 Cup rings. By that logic Henri Richard is the greatest player of all time with 11 rings.
nobody and Zach liked this.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 9:41 p.m.
I would take Ryan O'Reilly and this is why. It's all about the allocation of funds that best positions my team to maximize results.

Ryan O'Reilly sits at a cap hit of 7.5M compared to Jonathan Toews who has a 10.5M cap hit. The question is this: does Toews provide more overall value to team relative to the excess in cap (3M)?

No. Instead, I can allocates those 3M to players like Michael Grabner (1.65M) or Jason Zucker (2M). Or I can get Jacob Trouba (2.8125M) or Ryan Ellis (2.5M). Ryan O'Reilly also has an easier contract to move relative to Jonathan Toews and will have a better market return than Toews, further maximizing my teams results.

While Toews has the resume of being a Stanley Cup champion, that factor isn't going to tip the scale to make him more valuable than Ryan O'Reilly and an additional 3M to spend.
Daryl, ON3M4N, Kotkaniemi15 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 24, 2018 at 10:05 p.m.
You're damn right!

Remind me how O'Reilly was supposed to win the cup playing for Colorado and Buffalo?
Daryl and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:18 a.m.
HawksFan28
I wasn't talking even talking about this trade specifically. But thanks for reminding me about a 3 Cup rings. By that logic Henri Richard is the greatest player of all time with 11 rings.

Are you seriously trying to compare the o6 era to the present?

lol..
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:20 a.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: DavidBooth7
Remind me how O'Reilly was supposed to win the cup playing for Colorado and Buffalo?

How was Toews supposed to do it in Chicago circa 2007?
Mar. 25, 2018 at 8:17 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Are you seriously trying to compare the o6 era to the present?

lol..

No, I am critiquing when fools can't come make a logical argument always mention Stanley Cup wins, and such terms as leadership. Stanley Cups have more to do with what team a player is on, rather than the individual.
According some Hawks fans(s)In three years, the value of Toews and Seabrook and all those Hawks who won three Cups are going to more than McDavid and Karlsson, because McDavid and Karlsson haven't won three Cups and therefore don't show leadership.
Daryl and LicMysak liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 4:26 p.m.
HawksFan28
No, I am critiquing when fools can't come make a logical argument always mention Stanley Cup wins, and such terms as leadership. Stanley Cups have more to do with what team a player is on, rather than the individual.
According some Hawks fans(s)In three years, the value of Toews and Seabrook and all those Hawks who won three Cups are going to more than McDavid and Karlsson, because McDavid and Karlsson haven't won three Cups and therefore don't show leadership.

Sorry, when you're the reason WHY YOUR TEAM WON CUPS then that matters!!!

Toews has a Conn Smythe

Go watch the last 5 minutes of game 6 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals.....

Sorry, but if the Hawks don't have Toews for the last decade - they don't win Cups, they certainly don't win game 6 in 2013 but I would bet my left nut that the Hawks have ZERO cups without Toews..

I mean to suggest that Toews is along for the ride or riding the coattails of some Juggernaut known as the Chicago Blackhawks is absolutely asinine.

If you had the choice between Toews at 20 years old and O'Reilly at 20 years old - you take Toews EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I mean, Toews was already a member of the Triple Gold Club at 20-years-old.... lol... Oh right, according to you winning means absolutely nothing, because according to you Toews played ZERO role in any of his teams winning anything and was merely just along for the ride.....HAHA....

I can tell you haven't been a hockey fan for very long and you clearly are not a fan of a team that has one a Cup in your lifetime.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 4:34 p.m.
get ur corsi up

Toews has a Conn Smythe

Sorry, but if the Hawks don't have Toews for the last decade - they don't win Cups, they certainly don't win game 6 in 2013 but I would bet my left nut that the Hawks have ZERO cups without Toews..

I mean to suggest that Toews is along for the ride or riding the coattails of some Juggernaut known as the Chicago Blackhawks is absolutely asinine.

If you had the choice between Toews at 20 years old and O'Reilly at 20 years old - you take Toews EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I mean, Toews was already a member of the Triple Gold Club at 20-years-old.... lol... Oh right, according to you winning means absolutely nothing, because according to you Toews played ZERO role in any of his teams winning anything and was merely just along for the ride.....HAHA....

I can tell you haven't been a hockey fan for very long and you clearly are not a fan of a team that has one a Cup in your lifetime.

Sure Toews did that, but he isn't doing any of that for the Blackhawks right now is he? In this present time, O'Reilly is the better choice because while he may boast less skill, his contract is cheaper, and in my opinion the cheaper salary is worth the less skill.
palhal liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 4:41 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
\

Toews has a Conn Smythe

As I said before, we are talking about players and their value going forward. You seem to stuck on the old value of Toews, so be it, it's the only game you know. You conveniently ignore values of other players past and present just to justify your losing argument. I don't know why you say my teams haven't won Cups. I clearly see you aren't a hockey fan, but you might be a Hawks fan. That's OK, but it certainly limits your knowledge of the NHL if all you know are Hawks players. Clearly you think that what the Hawks achieved in three seasons supersedes another other teams success. But I congratulate you on your developing maturity. You've gone three posts without trading Hossa.
wojme liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 4:48 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Daryl
Sure Toews did that, but he isn't doing any of that for the Blackhawks right now is he? In this present time, O'Reilly is the better choice because while he may boast less skill, his contract is cheaper, and in my opinion the cheaper salary is worth the less skill.

I didn't even question who was better ROR or Toews, but a certain HawksFans. only has knowledge of one team. Actually the last previous three Hawk Cup winners. No other teams of players matter. Four years from now, when Seabrook has slowed to a marginal player, I'm guessing a Seabrook for McAvoy will a good trade cause Seabrook has won three Cups to McAvoy's one.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 4:59 p.m.
Quoting: phillyjabroni
I would take Ryan O'Reilly and this is why. It's all about the allocation of funds that best positions my team to maximize results.

Ryan O'Reilly sits at a cap hit of 7.5M compared to Jonathan Toews who has a 10.5M cap hit. The question is this: does Toews provide more overall value to team relative to the excess in cap (3M)?

No. Instead, I can allocates those 3M to players like Michael Grabner (1.65M) or Jason Zucker (2M). Or I can get Jacob Trouba (2.8125M) or Ryan Ellis (2.5M). Ryan O'Reilly also has an easier contract to move relative to Jonathan Toews and will have a better market return than Toews, further maximizing my teams results.

While Toews has the resume of being a Stanley Cup champion, that factor isn't going to tip the scale to make him more valuable than Ryan O'Reilly and an additional 3M to spend.

@HawksFan28
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
HawksFan28

Even now I go with the veteran captain with 3 Cup rings.. Heck, a year ago to this day no one would argue with me if I claimed Toews was on the verge of winning his 4th ring, but the Hawks didn't because even the best teams cant win every single year, and pointing to this season is disingenuous - this season merely shows that teams need depth to win - that they cant win based purely on their cores alone.....

I digress, look at Mark Messier, when he got older and slowed down he went on to the Rangers and won there, and there are many examples of known leaders winning on different teams - Mark Recchi is another example, er Matt Cullen... There are leaders out there that know how to win and THAT within itself is a skill..

Leaders that have won Cups as leaders - as captains - have proven they can win anywhere they go...

I'd take Toews because he has already proven he can win and did it immediately upon entering the NHL.

We'll see next season how great ROR is after Buffalo gets another franchise player.... As it is Buffalo is in a similar position the Hawks were in back in 200)-10 yet Buffalo is still bottom feeding......

Until Buffalo takes a step forward it would be misguided to try to put ROR on Toews' level considering Toews has actually won Cups and ROR hasn't even gotten his team to the playoffs.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:02 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Even now I go with the veteran captain with 3 Cup rings.. Heck, a year ago to this day no one would argue with me if I claimed Toews was on the verge of winning his 4th ring, but the Hawks didn't because even the best teams cant win every single year, and pointing to this season is disingenuous - this season merely shows that teams need depth to win - that they cant win based purely on their cores alone.....

I digress, look at Mark Messier, when he got older and slowed down he went on to the Rangers and won there, and there are many examples of known leaders winning on different teams - Mark Recchi is another example, er Matt Cullen... There are leaders out there that know how to win and THAT within itself is a skill..

Leaders that have won Cups as leaders - as captains - have proven they can win anywhere they go...

I'd take Toews because he has already proven he can win and did it immediately upon entering the NHL.

We'll see next season how great ROR is after Buffalo gets another franchise player.... As it is Buffalo is in a similar position the Hawks were in back in 200)-10 yet Buffalo is still bottom feeding......

Until Buffalo takes a step forward it would be misguided to try to put ROR on Toews' level considering Toews has actually won Cups and ROR hasn't even gotten his team to the playoffs.

You are completely disregarding the contracts of these two. Nobody is saying ROR is a better player, but he is a cheaper player, that allows for his teams to acquire others assets with the added cap space he provides.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:03 p.m.
HawksFan28

I can read, I don't need someone to point out a post I'm aware of..

A post I rebuked with my last.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:06 p.m.
HawksFan28
You are completely disregarding the contracts of these two. Nobody is saying ROR is a better player, but he is a cheaper player, that allows for his teams to acquire others assets with the added cap space he provides.

How much is a championship worth to you? lol

Would you rather have championships and a subjectively "overpaid" captain or no championships and bargain on contracts????

Yes, when you win you have proven you're worth lots of $$$$$ and you're going to be rewarded for it, lol... That's how it works... I'm sure of ROR won Cups and played a significant role in winning cups he would be making 10 million too, lol...

You generally get rewarded for being successful - that's how capitalism works, ha.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:06 p.m.
I can read, I don't need someone to point out a post I'm aware of..

A post I rebuked with my last.

You seemed to gloss over what I would call a solid assessment of this question.

Your contention is that the leadership that Toews brings is so intangilbe that it is worth over 3M. Why can't you have a leader like PE Bellemare? Or Matt Cullen while still adding the players I mentioned in my post?
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:08 p.m.
HawksFan28
Sure, if my goal is to slap together a bargain bin team with zero expectations I would take ROR...lol
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:09 p.m.
get ur corsi up
How much is a championship worth to you? lol

Would you rather have championships and a subjectively "overpaid" captain or no championships and bargain on contracts????

Yes, when you win you have proven you're worth lots of $$$$$ and you're going to be rewarded for it, lol... That's how it works... I'm sure of ROR won Cups and played a significant role in winning cups he would be making 10 million too, lol...

You generally get rewarded for being successful - that's how capitalism works, ha.

Well look where his contract has got you guys now. At the bottom of the league tanking for Dahlin.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:15 p.m.
HawksFan28
You seemed to gloss over what I would call a solid assessment of this question.

Your contention is that the leadership that Toews brings is so intangilbe that it is worth over 3M. Why can't you have a leader like PE Bellemare? Or Matt Cullen while still adding the players I mentioned in my post?

Because Toews is the captain of the Blackhawks for a reason, he was made the captain before they won their first Cup - he's the face of the franchise... I don't know what you don't understand about that...

Guys you're bringing up are role players - Toews is the complete package and I cant even believe you're asking that question....

You ever hear of the old saying "lead by example?" yea well Toews leads by example and when he's determined he's better than Crosby...

Seriously, Toews makes what he does because of what he done!

When you captain your team to 3 Cups and 5 Conference finals in 8 years you're going to be rewarded for that.... I mean I get the feeling you believe players should be paid by the point and everything they do outside of scoring points should be completely disregarded, lol...

C'mon.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:19 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Because Toews is the captain of the Blackhawks for a reason, he was made the captain before they won their first Cup - he's the face of the franchise... I don't know what you don't understand about that...

Guys you're bringing up are role players - Toews is the complete package and I cant even believe you're asking that question....

You ever hear of the old saying "lead by example?" yea well Toews leads by example and when he's determined he's better than Crosby...

Seriously, Toews makes what he does because of what he done!

When you captain your team to 3 Cups and 5 Conference finals in 8 years you're going to be rewarded for that.... I mean I get the feeling you believe players should be paid by the point and everything they do outside of scoring points should be completely disregarded, lol...

C'mon.

Dude nobody is saying Toews isn't worth what he makes, he has earned that money for sure. We're saying ROR is more team friendly because he's cheaper and not all that much less good.
nobody liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit