SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Sabres fans Vegas fans Hockey world, fair?

Created by: Caniac2000
Team: 2018-19 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: May 15, 2018
Published: May 15, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$6,000,000
4$1,500,000
4$1,000,000
4$3,000,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Svechnikov, Andrei
3$925,000
Trades
CAR
  1. O'Reilly, Ryan
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
RFA rights to Robin Lehner
BUF
  1. Faulk, Justin
  2. Rask, Victor
  3. Roy, Nicolas
  4. 2019 1st round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Subban, Malcolm
  2. 2019 4th round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (BUF)
  2. 2019 6th round pick (CGY)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$80,000,000$55,833,333$0$1,782,500$24,166,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 1
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 5
$2,860,000$2,860,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,725,000$5,725,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
RW
RFA - 4
Svechnikov, Andrei
$925,000$925,000
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
$887,500$887,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
UFA - 7
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$745,000$745,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 15, 2018 at 5:20 a.m.
Sabres fan here...

Idk why we’d want Rask? We have plenty of “3rd line types”

I’m not a big fan of Faulk, so i personally wouldn’t like the trade... but i think the general framework is pretty reasonable for both sides

I think Buffalo would be gunning for something like
O’Reilly +
for that #2 overall
But idk if Carolina would even consider it ?
I’m guessing not

However,
Montreal might just be desperate enough that we can get #3 from them
Ppl are gonna lose jobs if they miss the playoffs again next year... so with their GM “on the hot seat” to win right away, I’m thinking (ok, I’m hoping- haha) that we’d have a shot at their #3 overall
May 15, 2018 at 8:03 a.m.
Yes from buffalo. Rask will play 2C until middelstadt is ready for a bigger role. Faulk is top 4 rhd.
May 15, 2018 at 8:17 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
As a Canes fan - I don’t mind the trades but why do we want Subban & Lehner? I think it makes sense to make a Goalie move but probably not two.
May 15, 2018 at 8:21 a.m.
Quoting: Jdfitz77
Sabres fan here...

I’m not a big fan of Faulk, so i personally wouldn’t like the trade... but i think the general framework is pretty reasonable for both sides

O’Reilly +
for that #2 overall
I’m guessing not

However,
Ppl are gonna lose jobs if they miss the playoffs again next year... so with their GM “on the hot seat” to win right away, I’m thinking (ok, I’m hoping- haha) that we’d have a shot at their #3 overall

Montreal doesnt have much of interest to get ror and the 3oa is too much. We would have to add, which is fine depending on the add. The trouble is, i dont want quantity for ror any more than the habs will want quantity for 3oa.
Jdfitz77 liked this.
May 15, 2018 at 8:33 a.m.
Subbanator
Your actually over paying for ROR here. Faulk is a good top four defenceman, Rask is a serviceable 2-3 center and Necas is their top prospect at center, plus a first round pick. Your giving two very good pieces in a trade that should have one of those pieces then be built around it.

If Buffalo looks at sending ROR to Carolina I’d be talking to them about their young dcore, Bean, Fluery, etc. If you could add another elite young dman, in a couple years your looking at a very good group on that back end.
GMTD liked this.
May 15, 2018 at 10:34 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: Subbanator7667
Your actually over paying for ROR here. Faulk is a good top four defenceman, Rask is a serviceable 2-3 center and Necas is their top prospect at center, plus a first round pick. Your giving two very good pieces in a trade that should have one of those pieces then be built around it.

If Buffalo looks at sending ROR to Carolina I’d be talking to them about their young dcore, Bean, Fluery, etc. If you could add another elite young dman, in a couple years your looking at a very good group on that back end.

Five stars for taking O'Reilly.
BTW this assessment is from a Sabre's fan. I am sure other Sabre fans will have a different point of view which great, and I welcome discussion
O'Reilly >= Faulk (a year younger than O'Reilly) so only need to make a small addition to make this a fair trade
Lehner =< Rask (a year younger than Lehner) so IMO O'Reilly this makes it a reasonably fair trade
2019 2nd << 2019 1st
Roy is >>>>> nothing
May 15, 2018 at 11:08 a.m.
Subbanator
Quoting: GMTD
Five stars for taking O'Reilly.
BTW this assessment is from a Sabre's fan. I am sure other Sabre fans will have a different point of view which great, and I welcome discussion
O'Reilly >= Faulk (a year younger than O'Reilly) so only need to make a small addition to make this a fair trade
Lehner =< Rask (a year younger than Lehner) so IMO O'Reilly this makes it a reasonably fair trade
2019 2nd << 2019 1st
Roy is >>>>> nothing

Ya I’m an idiot, I thought Roy was Necas for some reason, completely different player.
GMTD liked this.
May 15, 2018 at 11:14 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: Subbanator7667
Ya I’m an idiot, I thought Roy was Necas for some reason, completely different player.

BTW you do know that I was agreeing with you? Sometimes when I post, I get into a discussion that appears the responder thinks I am trying to make an opposite point. So yes I make this trade in less than a heart beat.
May 15, 2018 at 12:27 p.m.
Sabres fan here...

O’Reilly +
for that #2 overall
I’m guessing not

However,

The second overall pick for Ryan O'Reilly isn't a trade that is even close to fair value. Faulk is a top pairing guy on a team with 10 good defenceman (give or take). Rask would be a second line center to replace O'Reilly and is an NHL player. He's the next best center Buffalo have (after Eichel, unless I'm forgetting someone which I don't think I am). The prospects and 2019 first I think make fair value but thank you for your comment. I will evaluate this before I make another trade for ROR in armchair GM
May 15, 2018 at 12:31 p.m.
Quoting: Mikemathis555
As a Canes fan - I don’t mind the trades but why do we want Subban & Lehner? I think it makes sense to make a Goalie move but probably not two.

I'm just trying to find a goaltende dude. Darling and Ward are bad and out of contract respectively,Subban has proved he can be an NHL starter in vegas (I'll give you the fact William Karlsson also put 40 goals up in vegas, so it might be that agic but it's worth a shot). Lehner has decent numbers in buffalo and he's playing behind the worst defence in the league. No Risto cause he was injured. Putting him behind the best defensive team in terms of shots given up and puck possession, may just prove successful

I'm curious whom would you trade for if you are Don Waddell?
May 15, 2018 at 12:34 p.m.
Quoting: Mikemathis555

Ideally Lenher bridges until Nedeljkovic is ready from the minors. When youre getting out dueled by Alex Lyon you're not ready
May 15, 2018 at 4:27 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
The second overall pick for Ryan O'Reilly isn't a trade that is even close to fair value. Faulk is a top pairing guy on a team with 10 good defenceman (give or take). Rask would be a second line center to replace O'Reilly and is an NHL player. He's the next best center Buffalo have (after Eichel, unless I'm forgetting someone which I don't think I am). The prospects and 2019 first I think make fair value but thank you for your comment. I will evaluate this before I make another trade for ROR in armchair GM

As far as getting #2 goes,
i suggested “O’Reilly +”
Meaning we’d have to add additional parts to O’Reilly in order to get the 2nd pick
(But i doubt Carolina would even do that- it’s just my hope we could do that)

As for Rask, he’s in no way a 2nd line center, or even a 2nd line player
He had 31pts last year
Guys like that can be signed as UFAs without having to give up assets for them (or have them included as a trade piece)
Plus,
We (and most other teams too) have many forward prospects ready to step in that have 15goal potential
Rask just doesn’t make sense for us to want to acquire

As for Faulk,
i just think he’s overrated & not that great in his own end
There’s a reason Carolina fans keep suggesting him to trade instead of Slavin, Hanifin or Pesce...
I’m on to you guys! Hahaha
Not that he sucks, he just is t a “top pair” guy

All that said...
your trade proposal isn’t terrible
It’s probably pretty close to something that could happen
It’s just not a trade that i personally like
May 15, 2018 at 4:48 p.m.
Sabres fan here...

O’Reilly +
for that #2 overall
I’m guessing not

However,

MB is also at the point where everything he does is being checked under a microscope so he's allowed to make rash Subban for Weber moves anymore. The 3OA is wishful thinking. But we would absolutely be desperate to get ROR and could pay handsomly for him without using the 3OA.
May 15, 2018 at 6:08 p.m.
NYI AGM v3
4 stars because the trade was pretty well thought-out. Is Lehner only worth $3M, though? I would think he would sign a short-term contract for $3M, maybe one year, that way if he improves his numbers he can sign at longer term for more money.
May 16, 2018 at 1:17 a.m.
Quoting: OngoGablogian
4 stars because the trade was pretty well thought-out. Is Lehner only worth $3M, though? I would think he would sign a short-term contract for $3M, maybe one year, that way if he improves his numbers he can sign at longer term for more money.

If they trade for Lehner,
they’d have to give him a qualifying offer of at least 4mil to keep his rights
OngoGablogian liked this.
May 16, 2018 at 1:20 a.m.
Quoting: F50marco
MB is also at the point where everything he does is being checked under a microscope so he's allowed to make rash Subban for Weber moves anymore. The 3OA is wishful thinking. But we would absolutely be desperate to get ROR and could pay handsomly for him without using the 3OA.

That makes sense...
but what kind of offer are u thinking?
Offers that include “parts” just aren’t gonna cut it-
we’ve got plenty of that
It’s gonna take tip end prospects
I don’t even think that we’d be interested in 1st round picks unless they’re top10
May 16, 2018 at 3:55 a.m.
Quoting: OngoGablogian

What I tried to do was use Lehner as a bridge for 2-3 years until Alex Nedeljkovic is ready from the prospects. 3 mil for 2-3 years should be fine for him. Plus he's playing behind the defence that allowed the fewest shots against in the league last season, spent the least amount of time in their own zone. This could improve his numbers and when he eaves, he could be a goaltender in demand.
May 16, 2018 at 4:03 a.m.
As far as getting #2 goes,
i suggested “O’Reilly +”
Meaning we’d have to add additional parts to O’Reilly in order to get the 2nd pick
(But i doubt Carolina would even do that- it’s just my hope we could do that)

As for Rask, he’s in no way a 2nd line center, or even a 2nd line player
He had 31pts last year
Guys like that can be signed as UFAs without having to give up assets for them (or have them included as a trade piece)
Plus,
We (and most other teams too) have many forward prospects ready to step in that have 15goal potential
Rask just doesn’t make sense for us to want to acquire

As for Faulk,
i just think he’s overrated & not that great in his own end
There’s a reason Carolina fans keep suggesting him to trade instead of Slavin, Hanifin or Pesce...
I’m on to you guys! Hahaha
Not that he sucks, he just is t a “top pair” guy

All that said...
your trade proposal isn’t terrible
It’s probably pretty close to something that could happen
It’s just not a trade that i personally like

Rask had 31 points playing with Joakim Nordstrom and Lee Stempniak on the fourth line because Bill Peters didn't want him higher. Give him ice time and he'll put up points. Buffalo gives him that opportunity.
quart
Faulk is the most underrated defenceman in the National Hockey League. He had a bad season last year but he is easily a top to rhd. he's an offensive dynamo playing on the second pair in Carolina because of the emergence of Jacob Slavin and Brett Pesce. He's sound in his own end as well. He's shut down players like Ovechkin and Crosby on 1-on-1s and is capable of quarterbacking a powerplay. He's a much more impressive defenceman then people give him credit for. He's also an experienced guy who can lead a team. He was a co-captain for a reason. He's mentored Noah Hanafin, Haydn Fleury and has even spent time training with blue chip prospect Jake Bean.

Buffalo are in a position right now where the just need NHL players. Right now if that team was in the AHL, they couldn't beat Philadelphia's farm team or Toronto's farm team. Faulk an improvement on any top 4 in the league. Rask can score, hit and assist. Rask is still young though, he's perfect for what buffalo need.
May 16, 2018 at 4:09 a.m.
Rask had 31 points playing with Joakim Nordstrom and Lee Stempniak on the fourth line because Bill Peters didn't want him higher. Give him ice time and he'll put up points. Buffalo gives him that opportunity.
quart
Faulk is the most underrated defenceman in the National Hockey League. He had a bad season last year but he is easily a top to rhd. he's an offensive dynamo playing on the second pair in Carolina because of the emergence of Jacob Slavin and Brett Pesce. He's sound in his own end as well. He's shut down players like Ovechkin and Crosby on 1-on-1s and is capable of quarterbacking a powerplay. He's a much more impressive defenceman then people give him credit for. He's also an experienced guy who can lead a team. He was a co-captain for a reason. He's mentored Noah Hanafin, Haydn Fleury and has even spent time training with blue chip prospect Jake Bean.

Buffalo are in a position right now where the just need NHL players. Right now if that team was in the AHL, they couldn't beat Philadelphia's farm team or Toronto's farm team. Faulk an improvement on any top 4 in the league. Rask can score, hit and assist. Rask is still young though, he's perfect for what buffalo need.

If Rask & Faulk were that good,
you wouldn’t be trading them

You sound like a “homer” sir

My opinion on the trade...
no thanks
May 16, 2018 at 4:13 a.m.
If Rask & Faulk were that good,
you wouldn’t be trading them

You sound like a “homer” sir

My opinion on the trade...
no thanks

Ok it's your opinion. Faulk is a spare guy because the canes have a solid top 6 and even more defensive products in the pipeline. Rask I was trying to sell a little but he's still serviceable.
May 16, 2018 at 4:22 a.m.
Ok it's your opinion. Faulk is a spare guy because the canes have a solid top 6 and even more defensive products in the pipeline. Rask I was trying to sell a little but he's still serviceable.

Not saying either guy sucks,
just not a good fit for Buffalo

Even if Faulk is a top pair guy,
he’s an offensive defenseman
And he’s not “great” in his own zone
He’s ok, but not the right style player to pair with Dahlin imo

And as far as Rask goes,
we have a bunch of “serviceable” guys...
so i just don’t see the value he’d add to a trade,
or why we’d want him when we have 4-5 young forwards about to break into our lineup

I do think your trade was fair in terms of value
Just not the right “fit” for the Sabres
U gotta consider both sides my dude
May 16, 2018 at 4:28 a.m.
Not saying either guy sucks,
just not a good fit for Buffalo

Even if Faulk is a top pair guy,
he’s an offensive defenseman
And he’s not “great” in his own zone
He’s ok, but not the right style player to pair with Dahlin imo

And as far as Rask goes,
we have a bunch of “serviceable” guys...
so i just don’t see the value he’d add to a trade,
or why we’d want him when we have 4-5 young forwards about to break into our lineup

I do think your trade was fair in terms of value
Just not the right “fit” for the Sabres
U gotta consider both sides my dude

I was trying to. Zengus Gergensins is just not an NHL player. His name sounds like the sound people make when they sneeze. Was just who I was thinking could go into that lineup now. He's still young. Faulk won't play with Dahlin but I'd be kinda surprised if Dahlin was top pair right away. I'd give him a year on the second pairing so he's not the guy everyone looks to immediately to get them out of trouble. They do that with Eichel and look how he's turned out. He's a good player don't get me wrong but he's still below where he was predicted to be in this stage of his career. Faulk to go with Ristolainen (I know I butchered the spelling and I apologise) for one year on the top line before his contract runs out and Buffalo could ship him out as a rental and get even more for him. That's what I thought but I understand why you wouldn't want Faulk and Rask. There was just no one else I could justify giving up.
May 16, 2018 at 4:58 a.m.
I was trying to. Zengus Gergensins is just not an NHL player. His name sounds like the sound people make when they sneeze. Was just who I was thinking could go into that lineup now. He's still young. Faulk won't play with Dahlin but I'd be kinda surprised if Dahlin was top pair right away. I'd give him a year on the second pairing so he's not the guy everyone looks to immediately to get them out of trouble. They do that with Eichel and look how he's turned out. He's a good player don't get me wrong but he's still below where he was predicted to be in this stage of his career. Faulk to go with Ristolainen (I know I butchered the spelling and I apologise) for one year on the top line before his contract runs out and Buffalo could ship him out as a rental and get even more for him. That's what I thought but I understand why you wouldn't want Faulk and Rask. There was just no one else I could justify giving up.

Faulk doesn’t fit with Ristolainen bc they’re both RH defensemen
And if we are trading O’Reilly for a defenseman,
we can just be trading him for a good one...
we have to make sure we are trading home for the “right” one
So while i agree that Dahlin shouldn’t be on the top pair right away, he will be for years
So we need to trade for a guy that will fit with him
We aren’t gonna be in the playoffs next year,
so we need to be thinking ahead

To that end, we have a bunch of young forwards breaking into the lineup next year & the year after
So we need to give them their shots & see who will be keepers, and who will be “another Girgenson”
It only makes sense for us to acquire a forward if he can be a top6 wing, and Rask just isn’t that guy imo

So like i said...
not bad players at all
Just not the right fit for what the Sabres need

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll