Forums/Armchair-GM

Tom Wilson: Much Better Than You Think

Created by: ClockReads2113
Team: 2018-19 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 3, 2018
Published: Aug. 3, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Here's an article diving deep into Wilson's skill level and how we can live up to his new contract. Just skip to the video section of the article if you aren't convinced.

https://novacapsfans.com/2018/08/02/is-tom-wilson-worth-it-a-deep-dive-into-hockeys-most-controversial-player/
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$69,590,962$82,500$1,100,000$9,909,038
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LW
UFA - 1
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 5
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD
NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 3, 2018 at 11:43 a.m.
Jetsfan
As long as the Cap goes up by 3.5/4 Mill and Wilson plays as good as he did last year, its a great contract for both him and Wash. If the cap goes up slightly and he sucks next year, its a fail.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 11:50 a.m.
Banned
An article from a site called NovaCapsFans.com is definitely not a bias site that will use only objective information to get a point across that won't be heavily favouring a specific team.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 11:53 a.m.
Banned
here comes the penguin guy to troll on Wilson........... everyone thats a caps fan understands his value .....by making post like this its just going to annoy you with idiots making he had 35 points and ignore who he played with and his playoff performance and blah blah blah......love this and appreciate it but no o ne is reading the article and they'll make the same dumb comments

and this maple leafs d bag ........ who hates on Wilson but in reality is probably still mad he owed them in the playoffs
Aug. 3, 2018 at 11:53 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
An article from a site called NovaCapsFans.com is definitely not a bias site that will use only objective information to get a point across that won't be heavily favouring a specific team.

This just shows you didn't read a word of it. It has numbers and literal video showing his skill level. You know, things that aren't subjective. Take a read.
bags92 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 11:54 a.m.
Quoting: dcc94
As long as the Cap goes up by 3.5/4 Mill and Wilson plays as good as he did last year, its a great contract for both him and Wash. If the cap goes up slightly and he sucks next year, its a fail.

Definitely. I agree it was probably too big of a gamble that the Caps didn't need to take (should have just done a $4M bridge deal) but I think it shows just how good Tom Wilson is. The majority who hate him think he's some 4th line goon, when that isn't the case at all. He's very skilled and put up numbers last season to back it up.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 11:56 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: capsin9
here comes the penguin guy to troll on Wilson........... everyone thats a caps fan understands his value .....by making post like this its just going to annoy you with idiots making he had 35 points and ignore who he played with and his playoff performance and blah blah blah......love this and appreciate it but no o ne is reading the article and they'll make the same dumb comments

and this maple leafs d bag ........ who hates on Wilson but in reality is probably still mad he owed them in the playoffs

You're so obsessed with pittsburgh and their fans so much that literally the 1st sentence is about pittsburgh. Its really sad that pittsburgh is on your mind constantly. A Tom Wilson thread and you feel the need to bring up pittsburgh lmao
Aug. 3, 2018 at 11:57 a.m.
Jetsfan
Quoting: ClockReads2113
Definitely. I agree it was probably too big of a gamble that the Caps didn't need to take (should have just done a $4M bridge deal) but I think it shows just how good Tom Wilson is. The majority who hate him think he's some 4th line goon, when that isn't the case at all. He's very skilled and put up numbers last season to back it up.

I agree. He showed his worth in the playoffs. He just needs to keep his bad hits down(even more money into the NHL pot nowsmile)
ClockReads2113 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:01 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: hockeyfanatic05
You're so obsessed with pittsburgh and their fans so much that literally the 1st sentence is about pittsburgh. Its really sad that pittsburgh is on your mind constantly. A Tom Wilson thread and you feel the need to bring up pittsburgh lmao

hahaha right on time...look at your last 40 post they are all on caps threads ....just saying you can't control yourself you literally came here to troll then saw what I said and it temporally stopped you.....youre obsessed with the caps you are in another caps thread again........did tom Wilson bang your mom or wife.......boyfriend. you need to let it go man its getting sad
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:02 p.m.
Banned

again tho its only a 1m over payment you can make that case for 75% of the nhl....... also called it with that one pens fan who comments on everything tom Wilson
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
Banned
This just shows you didn't read a word of it. It has numbers and literal video showing his skill level. You know, things that aren't subjective. Take a read.

It has entirely bias numbers and a lot of gifs with basically captions saying "SEE?", they use numbers like look at his possession numbers but don't have the counter points of what the possession stats of those other lines without Wilson on the line. This is just a bunch of garbage info that takes the very small positive metrics from 1 half season and paints them in a way that this player has always been good. He's a 4th liner who found some chemistry with star players. He isn't a trash player but he's definitely not a top 6 forward. Leo Komarov scored 19 goals while playing on the top line in TO 3 seasons ago and no one in the world called him a top line player.

There is no rational argument that can be made to justify this contract and it will be an Albatross around the neck of the Caps as soon as November.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
Banned
I agree. He showed his worth in the playoffs. He just needs to keep his bad hits down(even more money into the NHL pot nowsmile)

I also wouldn't mind him taking the slot position on the 2nd power play
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:04 p.m.
Banned

dude I told you this guy and hockeyfanatic literally troll every caps thread and talk about Wilson and how bad he is....... they use 0 logic and resort to he's a goon/4th liner talks
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:05 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/tom-wilson-8801

which of these guys is worse than Tom Wilson?
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:10 p.m.
Banned

Hey man, just because I'm a fan of reality doesn't mean I'm a D bag and seriously this is a contract that is based of a moon shot of hope. Its a great contract if..... That is what I hear from all the Cap fans who love Wilson to death. He's not a trash player but Leo Komarov scored 19 goals when he played on the top line in TO with Kadri and (I honestly can't remember maybe JVR?) he also hit a tonne and apparently created a tonne of room for his linemates, was he a top 6 forward? You'll definitely say no and then talk about how much better Wilson is, which there is literally zero proof of that.

Then we'll argue about comparisons where you'll tell me there are none, not even Wilson himself can be compared to Tom Wilson. He's an enigma wrapped in a riddle and can't be explained but hes definitely worth more than half the players in the NHL because he hits a lot and played with star players better then the rest of the bottom 6 guys did. We also can't look at what he does without star players because that's apparently irrelevant.

Arguing about this contract is so much fun.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:10 p.m.
Banned

As long as we keep getting expansion team money entering the league the cap will rise 3.5/4 million. You are hanging a lot of hope on two things that don't look likely to happen.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:11 p.m.
Banned
Hey man, just because I'm a fan of reality doesn't mean I'm a D bag and seriously this is a contract that is based of a moon shot of hope. Its a great contract if..... That is what I hear from all the Cap fans who love Wilson to death. He's not a trash player but Leo Komarov scored 19 goals when he played on the top line in TO with Kadri and (I honestly can't remember maybe JVR?) he also hit a tonne and apparently created a tonne of room for his linemates, was he a top 6 forward? You'll definitely say no and then talk about how much better Wilson is, which there is literally zero proof of that.

Then we'll argue about comparisons where you'll tell me there are none, not even Wilson himself can be compared to Tom Wilson. He's an enigma wrapped in a riddle and can't be explained but hes definitely worth more than half the players in the NHL because he hits a lot and played with star players better then the rest of the bottom 6 guys did. We also can't look at what he does without star players because that's apparently irrelevant.

Lol hes so biased and has Wilsons dick so far down his throat its hilarious. If someone has a different opinion than him, he thinks its trolling. He's so stupid its actually sad
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Banned

no you're a dbag bc he took the time to post an article supporting his thoughts or opinion and you dismiss it without reading......you criticized the site and nothing else haha thats why... you have made it clear that you don't think he's good or worth 5 million we get it but instead you constantly regurgitate the same old stuff.... dismissing any evidence that is presented to you......

at the moment he's making about 1 million too much but if his numbers go up and caps have a great playoffs I'm not mad about it..... same people said Suzy was overpaid and look .....maybe wait and see before shooting off your mouth?
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:14 p.m.
Banned
Lol hes so biased and has Wilsons dick so far down his throat its hilarious. If someone has a different opinion than him, he thinks its trolling. He's so stupid its actually sad

I prefer to rationally just punch holes into this whole thing and watch the fire burn out of control. I'm not a fan of name calling on here, can't we all just be civil while sarcastically trolling each other? Why does the internet make us all so bitter?
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:19 p.m.
It has entirely bias numbers and a lot of gifs with basically captions saying "SEE?", they use numbers like look at his possession numbers but don't have the counter points of what the possession stats of those other lines without Wilson on the line. This is just a bunch of garbage info that takes the very small positive metrics from 1 half season and paints them in a way that this player has always been good. He's a 4th liner who found some chemistry with star players. He isn't a trash player but he's definitely not a top 6 forward. Leo Komarov scored 19 goals while playing on the top line in TO 3 seasons ago and no one in the world called him a top line player.

There's literal numbers and visuals showing his top 6 skill. How the hell are they bias? It doesn't matter what those other lines looked like without Wilson, the point is they all had positive impacts with him on it. The argument of "well Wilson away from them is bad" is just stupid, because when he's with them they are good to great. That is literally all that matters. If Wilson scores 50 points next season are you still just going to say "Well all he does is play with good players"? It doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter is he produces like a top 6 player. Komarov has never scored more than 22 5v5 points in a season. If anyone was saying he was top 6 then they are dumb.

Quote:
There is no rational argument that can be made to justify this contract and it will be an Albatross around the neck of the Caps as soon as November.

Yes there is a rational argument: this freakn article. Okay come November when Wilson already has 10+ 5v5 points we'll see what you have to say.
capsin9 liked this.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:19 p.m.
Banned
When someone sucks Wilsons dick that much, its funny to call them out on it.

nam one post you haven't talked about Wilson.....he is living rent free in your head..

I defend wilson bc hes on my team ..... you go out of your way to criticize him its weird and obsessive .....then you start talking bout sucking dick and them that adds a whole weird situation into it..... hahahaha you love him?
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:20 p.m.
Banned
nam one post you haven't talked about Wilson.....he is living rent free in your head..

I defend wilson bc hes on my team ..... you go out of your way to criticize him its weird and obsessive .....then you start talking bout sucking dick and them that adds a whole weird situation into it..... hahahaha you love him?

Pick out one bad thing I said about him on this thread then. Go for it
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:21 p.m.
Quoting: A_K
https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/tom-wilson-8801

which of these guys is worse than Tom Wilson?

Hard to say since you'd have to go through each of them individually and see when their contract was signed and how that reflected on their total cap value. Plus it's this season that will really prove Wilson's worth. We'll see.
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:22 p.m.
Banned
how does your mom normally clean up when he's done? or does she just swallow the evidence>?.....do you watch and cry from the closet?

So you call it weird when I say stuff like that, but then you go right ahead and say that stuff too lol thats why you're a hypocrite
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:24 p.m.
Banned
Pick out one bad thing I said about him on this thread then. Go for it

oh you didn't have to say anything negative bc I called you out before you could......hahaha its funny bc you def 100% came trolling around once you saw his name haha did you read dudes article? how do you feel after reading it?
Aug. 3, 2018 at 12:25 p.m.
Banned
no you're a dbag bc he took the time to post an article supporting his thoughts or opinion and you dismiss it without reading......you criticized the site and nothing else haha thats why... you have made it clear that you don't think he's good or worth 5 million we get it but instead you constantly regurgitate the same old stuff.... dismissing any evidence that is presented to you......

at the moment he's making about 1 million too much but if his numbers go up and caps have a great playoffs I'm not mad about it..... same people said Suzy was overpaid and look .....maybe wait and see before shooting off your mouth?

I read the whole article and I also explained why I called it a bias fan article that leaves out all counter points to the contrary and then listed the arguments I've already received in regards to the Wilson signing.

As for evidence given to me, again I'll reiterate the only evidence I've ever had presented to me is the following.

He scored the 96th amount of 5v5 points if you include the playoffs. Which no one should do because the reffing in the playoffs is non existent. Refs put away their whistles and let guys do basically anything as long as you don't shoot the puck over the glass, or break your stick over a guys body with a slash. That helps Wilson big time because he can really man handle people and get away with it. Half of what he did in the playoffs will get him a penalty in the regular season, which is why he has more PIMs than anyone else.

He produced as a top 6 forward when he played with top 6 player which makes him a top six winger. Leo Komarov out scored him when he was on the top line in TO and he's not worth the 3 million he's getting paid in New York.

Since I compared him lets talk about comparables because he definitely has comparables. Matt Martin, Cal Clutterbuck, Leo Komarov etc, 4th line guys who can skate, kill penalties and hit everything that moves. Only according to Caps fans we can't use those guys because.......the only real understandable reason that I can figure out on this one is this, you can't use those guys as comparables because it hurts our feelings because it might be true and that means our beloved Wilson is just the vest 4th line banger in the league.

The funniest part of this whole arguement is when I have tried to lay out his past production as an example as to why this crazy contract is to bad. Hilariously, caps fans tell me we can't use that because he scored points for 1 half season and a very good playoff run. So that's that, he's worth 5 million because...... we are using a super small sample size and going with it because it feels good and we won the cup. That's really all this is, Wilson was a playoff hero and is being rewarded.

Good luck watching this years Fernando Pisani be exactly what he is for the next 6 years, a 4th liner who had a huge playoff that one time.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll