Forums/Armchair-GM

signing everyone and improving the team

Created by: sebski
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 14, 2018
Published: Oct. 14, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Gardiner trade is just because i believe he is going to walk. I also highly recommend the leafs trade nylander in pursuit of a RHD that is affordable. all in all the leafs fit under the cap in this situation and still look very good imo.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$12,500,000
8$9,000,000
3$1,250,000
2$2,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,000,000
2$700,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$900,000
2$700,000
Trades
TOR
    ltir
    BUF
      rights to william nylander
      TOR
      1. Stanley, Logan
      2. 2019 2nd round pick (WPG)
      WPG
        Jake gardiner at the deadline
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the EDM
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        Logo of the TOR
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        22$82,000,000$76,126,666$0$212,500$5,873,334
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
        $700,000$700,000
        LW, C
        UFA - 1
        $12,500,000$12,500,000
        C
        UFA - 5
        $2,500,000$2,500,000
        RW
        UFA - 3
        $2,250,000$2,250,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $11,000,000$11,000,000
        C, LW
        NMC
        UFA - 6
        $9,000,000$9,000,000
        RW
        UFA - 6
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 4
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $2,100,000$2,100,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $1,500,000$1,500,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 1
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        LW, C
        UFA - 2
        $925,000$925,000
        LW, RW
        RFA - 1
        $675,000$675,000
        C
        UFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        LD
        UFA - 3
        Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
        $5,400,000$5,400,000
        RD
        UFA - 3
        $5,000,000$5,000,000
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $863,333$863,333
        LD/RD
        UFA - 1
        $4,500,000$4,500,000
        RD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 5
        Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
        LD
        RFA - 2
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        RD
        UFA
        $1,250,000$1,250,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $900,000$900,000
        LD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Oct. 14, 2018 at 7:31 p.m.
        what are u offering anahiem for them to take horton? why would buffalo trade a d man, when they need d men as much as you do? the gardiner trade is a huge overpay for the jets as well.
        Oct. 14, 2018 at 8:00 p.m.
        Formerly Jamiepo
        Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
        what are u offering anahiem for them to take horton? why would buffalo trade a d man, when they need d men as much as you do? the gardiner trade is a huge overpay for the jets as well.

I think maybe that is his way of putting Horton on ltir, makes no sense for us to trade him.
        Price_is_the_goat liked this.
        Oct. 14, 2018 at 8:31 p.m.
        BeastMode5515
        Nylander is overrated (he’s still VERY good) but you just traded him for a terrible, even more overrated defender.
        Oct. 14, 2018 at 10:31 p.m.
        LongtimeLeafsufferer
        So teams should trade all their upcoming UFAs... Then why do the Jets make the trade?
        mikearky liked this.
        Oct. 14, 2018 at 11:17 p.m.
        Just Keep Swimming
        I think the others have made it quite well known their gripes with this, so I will attempt to take a more constructive approach.

I will start with what I like:
        I think you got the aav for Kapanen and Johnsson pretty much bang on. The only thing I would change is that for that aav, Kapanen gets 3 years. The rule (for both Kappy and Johnsson) would be as follows: 1-1.99 million = 2 years, 2-2.99 million = 3 years, 3-3.5 million = 4 years.

Just a tip when using the site, when you are trying to put a player on LTIR, instead of trading them, move them to the LTIR slot. It is in the 3rd blue bar, just below the goalies when you are building the ACGM.

On to the other things:
        I think you are off on some of the contracts here, by a decent amount too.
        Matthews needs to win at least 2 trophies to get that aav, and minimum 1 to get 12. He will likely get something like 8 years @ 11aav.
        Marner I cannot see going over 8 years @ 8aav. He is a damn good player, but woth his comparables and his production, that is roughly his max.
        Never give your backup goalie that much term and that much aav, it is a recipe for disaster. Sparks will get about 800k on a one or two year contract.
        As much as it pains me, I don't think Leivo is coming back, and even if he is, it won't be for that much. It will likely be just under 1 million, or somewhere around there.
        Ozhiganov and Lindholm have played well since coming over, and I hope we resign them. I think they get matching contracts: 2 years @ 1.5 aav, or somewhere around there.
        If Rosen makes this team next year, it will be as an extra, and he will accept his qualifying offer, as no one will offer anything else. While I do not know for sure what that would be, CapFriendly says his salary will be 0.925 aav should that happen.
        If we are bringing back Marincin, it will be as an extra, so only ever 1 year for the term.
        Ennis will not be back. Either he doesn't work out, and we don't want him, or he does and we cannot afford him. We have better guys on the Marlies anyway.

Edit: I will link some ACGM cap charts to help you with the big 3:
        https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/877874
        https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/884206 <-- Just a warning, this one is incomplete, but still has valuable information.

On the trades:
        Gardiner will likely get the same treatment as JVR and Bozak did last year. He will play out the end of his contract as we try to make a run, and will likely leave as a UFA. I think that if Dubas somehow makes it work, they want to re-sign him. I also think that you do not know who the prospect you traded him for is (he is good).
        On the Nylander trade, there are three big things. The first is that Ristolinen is a similar player to Jake Gardiner. If we wanted that, we would just keep Jake.
        The 2nd thing is that Nylander is worth much more than Risto, so you would be selling yourself short. This trade would look like Hall for Larsson very quickly.
        The third thing is that Buffalo, like Toronto, needs Dmen, and won't trade one of their more experienced ones. When making trades, you have to factor in what the receiving team needs as well.
        Oct. 18, 2018 at 6:22 p.m.
        sebski
        Quoting: palhal
        So teams should trade all their upcoming UFAs... Then why do the Jets make the trade?

jets lack LHD gardiner could slide onto the top pair with buf and turn their defense into a power house as they are going to be in worse cap trouble next year and should go for it all this year.
        Oct. 18, 2018 at 6:23 p.m.
        sebski
        Quoting: BeastMode5515
        Nylander is overrated (he’s still VERY good) but you just traded him for a terrible, even more overrated defender.

ristolainen is overrated but still a solid top 4 d man
        Oct. 18, 2018 at 6:24 p.m.
        sebski
        Quoting: Price_is_the_goat

how is that an overpayment for a 52 point defensman at the deadline? look at what mcdonagh got look at what other comparables got and that is a slight lowball. also i couldnt find the ltir
        Oct. 18, 2018 at 6:28 p.m.
        sebski
        Quoting: Random2152
        I think the others have made it quite well known their gripes with this, so I will attempt to take a more constructive approach.

I will start with what I like:
        I think you got the aav for Kapanen and Johnsson pretty much bang on. The only thing I would change is that for that aav, Kapanen gets 3 years. The rule (for both Kappy and Johnsson) would be as follows: 1-1.99 million = 2 years, 2-2.99 million = 3 years, 3-3.5 million = 4 years.

Just a tip when using the site, when you are trying to put a player on LTIR, instead of trading them, move them to the LTIR slot. It is in the 3rd blue bar, just below the goalies when you are building the ACGM.

On to the other things:
        I think you are off on some of the contracts here, by a decent amount too.
        Matthews needs to win at least 2 trophies to get that aav, and minimum 1 to get 12. He will likely get something like 8 years @ 11aav.
        Marner I cannot see going over 8 years @ 8aav. He is a damn good player, but woth his comparables and his production, that is roughly his max.
        Never give your backup goalie that much term and that much aav, it is a recipe for disaster. Sparks will get about 800k on a one or two year contract.
        As much as it pains me, I don't think Leivo is coming back, and even if he is, it won't be for that much. It will likely be just under 1 million, or somewhere around there.
        Ozhiganov and Lindholm have played well since coming over, and I hope we resign them. I think they get matching contracts: 2 years @ 1.5 aav, or somewhere around there.
        If Rosen makes this team next year, it will be as an extra, and he will accept his qualifying offer, as no one will offer anything else. While I do not know for sure what that would be, CapFriendly says his salary will be 0.925 aav should that happen.
        If we are bringing back Marincin, it will be as an extra, so only ever 1 year for the term.
        Ennis will not be back. Either he doesn't work out, and we don't want him, or he does and we cannot afford him. We have better guys on the Marlies anyway.

Edit: I will link some ACGM cap charts to help you with the big 3:
        https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/877874
        https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/884206 <-- Just a warning, this one is incomplete, but still has valuable information.

On the trades:
        Gardiner will likely get the same treatment as JVR and Bozak did last year. He will play out the end of his contract as we try to make a run, and will likely leave as a UFA. I think that if Dubas somehow makes it work, they want to re-sign him. I also think that you do not know who the prospect you traded him for is (he is good).
        On the Nylander trade, there are three big things. The first is that Ristolinen is a similar player to Jake Gardiner. If we wanted that, we would just keep Jake.
        The 2nd thing is that Nylander is worth much more than Risto, so you would be selling yourself short. This trade would look like Hall for Larsson very quickly.
        The third thing is that Buffalo, like Toronto, needs Dmen, and won't trade one of their more experienced ones. When making trades, you have to factor in what the receiving team needs as well.

I think your a little off with matthews contract. Im basing it off how dominant hes been and i believe he is going to win the rocket this year. Also trophies have nothing to do with anything there nice but does william karlson get 12 mil because he won something. Also matthews has a calder and if he wins the rocket will have 2 trophies. as for marner i anticipate a big year around 70+ points and if nylander thinks he can get 8 mil for his production then marner will probably want 10 as for what he gets i would say he deserves 8.5mil. personally i would like them at 19 mil combined but i cant see matthews looking at what eichel got and mcdavid got and not asking for close to if not mcdavids contract (which wasnt even the max).
        Oct. 18, 2018 at 7:02 p.m.
        Quoting: sebski
        how is that an overpayment for a 52 point defensman at the deadline? look at what mcdonagh got look at what other comparables got and that is a slight lowball. also i couldnt find the ltir

jake gardiner is a ufa next season. mcd still had 2 years on his deal. mcd is a top 25 d man in the league. gardiner isn't. thats a huge overpay for the jets. logan stanely is a 6'6 dman who is projected to be a top 4 D. and its not like the jets need gardiner. they have a pretty decent d-core.
        Oct. 18, 2018 at 7:50 p.m.
        Just Keep Swimming
        Quoting: sebski
        I think your a little off with matthews contract. Im basing it off how dominant hes been and i believe he is going to win the rocket this year. Also trophies have nothing to do with anything there nice but does william karlson get 12 mil because he won something. Also matthews has a calder and if he wins the rocket will have 2 trophies. as for marner i anticipate a big year around 70+ points and if nylander thinks he can get 8 mil for his production then marner will probably want 10 as for what he gets i would say he deserves 8.5mil. personally i would like them at 19 mil combined but i cant see matthews looking at what eichel got and mcdavid got and not asking for close to if not mcdavids contract (which wasnt even the max).

The Matthews number is based off McDavid right? The trophies thing is a comparison to McDavid because McDavid won 3 trophies in his contract year alone. What I am trying to point out in over simplified terms, is that Matthews needs to be the best player in the league to get anything near the McDavid number.

On Marner, 70 points gets you 7.5 if you look at comparable contracts. You say you base this off what Nylander wants, but remember that what the player wants is almost irrelevant. Nylander is not worth 7, let alone 8, and Marner, while better is not so much better that he gets 2-3 million more.

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll