Forums/Armchair-GM

Nylander deal

Created by: noobmaster69
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 16, 2018
Published: Oct. 16, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I feel that trading Nylander for a single Defensemen would not be enough to help the teams defense as a whole. Which is why I think that Wild have the best trading partners with the leafs. Nino is an excellent defensive forward and would help the team have a true shut down line with Kadri and Nino on it. Spurgeon may be more offensive minded than what the team needs but is still an excellent upgrade, and can handle defensive duties.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
3$3,500,000
8$8,000,000
8$12,000,000
1$900,000
1$900,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Brown, Connor
  2. Grundström, Carl
  3. Sandin, Rasmus
  4. 2020 1st round pick (TOR)
  5. 2020 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Nylander - Trade happens in 2018 (just looking at cap implications going forward)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$75,864,166$0$400,000$6,635,834

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$12,000,000$12,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$5,187,500$5,187,500
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 16, 2018 at 9:21 a.m.
I don't get it there defense is fine. they dont need to stack it more when they already have the offence of powerhouse to look like 5 GF average when the defense averages like 2GA I think the defense is fine no need to worry.
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 16, 2018 at 9:34 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
I don't get it there defense is fine. they dont need to stack it more when they already have the offence of powerhouse to look like 5 GF average when the defense averages like 2GA I think the defense is fine no need to worry.

Honestly, the people who still think Toronto's D is **** aren't watching the games this year, or last year, or ever. In fact they are just getting their unsubstantiated opinions from talking heads in suits who need to drum up crap against Toronto for ratings. The D is young, and getting better every game, and they were average last year already, with an awful down year for Zaitzev, and a uncharacteristically bad year for Gards (D wise). Thats not to mention Dermott improving and Oz stepping up, oh and Rielly making a Norris attempt.

All Toronto needs to do is wait. Just sign everyone and let the core improve, all the issues will be fixed, at no cost of assets (aside from any cap considerations a few years down the road).
Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Oct. 16, 2018 at 9:51 a.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: Random2152
Honestly, the people who still think Toronto's D is **** aren't watching the games this year, or last year, or ever. In fact they are just getting their unsubstantiated opinions from talking heads in suits who need to drum up crap against Toronto for ratings. The D is young, and getting better every game, and they were average last year already, with an awful down year for Zaitzev, and a uncharacteristically bad year for Gards (D wise). Thats not to mention Dermott improving and Oz stepping up, oh and Rielly making a Norris attempt.

All Toronto needs to do is wait. Just sign everyone and let the core improve, all the issues will be fixed, at no cost of assets (aside from any cap considerations a few years down the road).

I've watched every game this season, and I can tell you, from my own perspective, the Leafs defence has been playing subpar when it comes to defending. Yes, they've been lucky, and yes, offensive possession certainly makes them look better because pressure is off of defending, but the amount of giveaways they let up, not to mention the shots they give up against, has already and will continue to bite them. Hainsey is a bottom pairing, yet he has been getting 1st pairing minutes - that's not a sign of a strong D group. This current group may get them through the season no problem based on the amount they score and control the puck, but it won't do them any favours come playoff time.
tatatavares liked this.
Oct. 16, 2018 at 9:57 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: MG1986
I've watched every game this season, and I can tell you, from my own perspective, the Leafs defence has been playing subpar when it comes to defending. Yes, they've been lucky, and yes, offensive possession certainly makes them look better because pressure is off of defending, but the amount of giveaways they let up, not to mention the shots they give up against, has already and will continue to bite them. Hainsey is a bottom pairing, yet he has been getting 1st pairing minutes - that's not a sign of a strong D group. This current group may get them through the season no problem based on the amount they score and control the puck, but it won't do them any favours come playoff time.

Hainsey is being transitioned away, as Dermott is still developing, and we don't want to ruin him. Also Babs is a firm believer in not giving anything to anyone, making you fully earn it before letting you go. By game 20-30 I expect the change to be mostly permanent. They have been more physical, and making smarter players all year. Zaitzev has looked very good, Rielly is a stud, and Gards is still Gards, although I have noticed him making some smarter plays and being physical this year. Oz has been great, Dermott is looking more and more like the guy we need, and Hainsey, while ageing has had a decent couple of games. Still needs to be moved to the third pair, but he hasn't been bad. Also, last night those 34 shots were against Sparks, so that tells me most were low danger scoring chances considering the 33/34 saves.
Oct. 16, 2018 at 10:04 a.m.
#LeafsFever
Quoting: Random2152
Hainsey is being transitioned away, as Dermott is still developing, and we don't want to ruin him. Also Babs is a firm believer in not giving anything to anyone, making you fully earn it before letting you go. By game 20-30 I expect the change to be mostly permanent. They have been more physical, and making smarter players all year. Zaitzev has looked very good, Rielly is a stud, and Gards is still Gards, although I have noticed him making some smarter plays and being physical this year. Oz has been great, Dermott is looking more and more like the guy we need, and Hainsey, while ageing has had a decent couple of games. Still needs to be moved to the third pair, but he hasn't been bad. Also, last night those 34 shots were against Sparks, so that tells me most were low danger scoring chances considering the 33/34 saves.

Any realistic hockey fan would point you to the games, specifically against Ottawa, Montreal and Chicago when it comes to painting a picture at our defense. I would say both Dermott and Ozhiganov, especially Ozhiganov being transition to the North American-style of hockey, are still developing. However, my issue is with our top-4 outside of Reilly. If Hainsey played 15 minutes a night against weaker competition, you wouldn't notice the holes. As for Gardiner, he's still giving up pucks like crazy. You can say Gards is still Gards, but the way that he plays hurts this team, they just have no better options. Zaitsev is a mixed bag, because he seems to have his better games and his worse games. What the Leafs need is a boost in their top-4 and especially on their defensive end and on their penalty kill. I am not saying replace the entire group, since that would be impossible, but I am certainly curious to what the Leafs may be able to acquire for Nylander. Our defense has been extremely mediocre defensively so far this season, some of that certainly falls on the forwards, who also give away the puck a fair bit.
tatatavares liked this.
Oct. 16, 2018 at 10:04 a.m.
Edited Oct. 16, 2018 at 10:25 a.m.
I would take that trade in a millisecond if I'm Fenton. I think it's an overpayment by the Leafs, though, if I'm being totally honest.

Edit: Also I think you're underrating Spurgeon's defensive ability, I would argue he's actually more of a two-way defenseman. He contributes offensively for sure but he is excellent defensively, too.
Oct. 16, 2018 at 10:14 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Any realistic hockey fan would point you to the games, specifically against Ottawa, Montreal and Chicago when it comes to painting a picture at our defense. I would say both Dermott and Ozhiganov, especially Ozhiganov being transition to the North American-style of hockey, are still developing. However, my issue is with our top-4 outside of Reilly. If Hainsey played 15 minutes a night against weaker competition, you wouldn't notice the holes. As for Gardiner, he's still giving up pucks like crazy. You can say Gards is still Gards, but the way that he plays hurts this team, they just have no better options. Zaitsev is a mixed bag, because he seems to have his better games and his worse games. What the Leafs need is a boost in their top-4 and especially on their defensive end and on their penalty kill. I am not saying replace the entire group, since that would be impossible, but I am certainly curious to what the Leafs may be able to acquire for Nylander. Our defense has been extremely mediocre defensively so far this season, some of that certainly falls on the forwards, who also give away the puck a fair bit.

Yeah Dermott and Oz are developing, but they are already fairly good. Yes, cherry pick the first 3 games of the year, where every teams defence is lacking. Continue to ignore us winning against the cup champs and LA (a team known for being string defensively, through both the F core and D core). On the way gards plays, he does much more help than harm, just look at the stats for any OFD like him, he is not even remotely the worst. Hell he had a similar amount of turn overs as Shea Weber in Weber's last full year, and he is known to be good defensively. And giving up pucks like crazy? he has 6 give-aways, which is low for his sort of Dman. Zaitzev has been really sound defensively this year, if you don't see that you are either blind or do not understand hockey. Leafs PK is top 10 in the League, and they have internal fixes to the top 4 guy that is needed as long as they are patient. No need to lose a trade for a guy you wont need in 2 years. The D has been good since they got rolling, the first few games are always like that for any team, The Leafs are about average if not better than the rest of the League (12th best last year).
Oct. 16, 2018 at 10:24 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Why point out two games where goaltending was clearly the issue? For me our worst game defensively was against the stars. The mixed bag that you are seeing from zaitsev is largely due to playing with gardiner. Yes I believe gardiner is looking good this year but he is still not the right partner for zaitsev who can be a great two way player.

All in all our defense looks great. Ozzy was the big what if and he has looked solid. As soon as he gets comfortable you are going to see his offensive game start to kick in. Yes hainsey is horrible... keeps putting in goals to perpetuate the myth that he has a pulse. This just goes to show how great and underrated Reilly is for tugging haisey’s Lifeless body around the rink while still being dominant.
Oct. 16, 2018 at 10:56 a.m.
TML1991
nino and spurgeon for 10+ no thanks.

Even if nylander comes in at $8mil. it's still a hard no.
Oct. 16, 2018 at 10:59 a.m.
Banned

Shots against is such a stupid thing to be worried about. NHL goalies can face 50 shots and be expected to post a shutout if all of those shots are from outside. Look at last night, TO was outshot but they had the best chances in the game and won. LA looked slow and couldn't defend against the Leafs speed. TO's offense focusses on getting the puck at the net with speed and it works. Defensively they did a great job of protecting the slot and almost all the shots came from outside and Sparks was equal to the task.

What people should focus on is quality of chances.
buds16 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll