Created by: TML_GM
Team: 2018-19 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 19, 2018
Published: Nov. 19, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
In my opinion...

Leafs are dealing from the stronger position:
- Have proven they can still score in bunches without Nylander (through a quarter of the season)
- They retain his RFA rights if he sits the whole season
- Have a long window of being a contender ahead (with or without Nylander)

Canes are dealing from the weaker position:
- Franchise in a weak market that hasn't seen the playoffs in 9 years
- Lacks scoring from their forward group

The Basics:
The Leafs need a top 4 D in return, but all top 4 D are not created equally. Hence the 4 trade options below for 4 different D from Carolina. Ranked in order of value (highest to lowest) of the D coming back to Toronto.

Option 1: Slavin
- The most valuable D on the Canes
- 24 years old
- Top end talent, solid 2 way game
- Signed through 2024-25 at 5.3M AAV (longest term)
- Plays LD rather than RD, but given his talent level the Leafs simply plan around him replacing Gardiner in future seasons, use the Gardiner money to bring in a RD.

Option 2: Hamilton+
- Top pair RHD, but less of a two-way D and more of an offensive D
- 25 years old
- Signed through 2020-21 at 5.75M AAV (3rd longest term)
- Questionable fit with the Toronto group due to his quirky personality
- Some baggage given he is on his 3rd team already, Toronto would be his 4th
- (+Foegele) A 22 y/o LW with good pedigree and speed

Option 3: Pesce++
- 3/4 steady RHD, good puck mover but less offensive upside than Slavin/Hamilton
- 24 years old
- Signed through 2023-24 at 4.025M AAV (2nd longest term)
- Probably an ideal partner for Rielly, but not someone who can carry a top 4 pair on his own
- (+Ferlund) A 26 year old pending UFA LW power forward who can put up points that fills a need for Toronto come playoff time
- (+ 2nd round draft pick, with condition) A pick as insurance on a pending UFA contract that increases in value significantly if the Leafs can't/choose not to resign Ferlund.

Option 4: Faulk+ (Really should be Svechnikov+)
- A second pairing offensive D that has declined in value the past 2 seasons
- 26 years old
- Signed through 2019-20 at 4.833M AAV (shortest term)
- Given his play style he is not an ideal fit on the right side to play with Rielly or Gardiner, adds depth and options on the D and pushes Oz out of the lineup. Could fill the Gardiner void next season if he walks.
-(+Svechnikov) - last year's #2 overall pick, still 18 years old, first year of his ELC. Could eventually replace or exceed Nylander's goal totals, but is a step back in production, pedigree, 2 way abilities for the immediate.

Yes, yes... It's all an overpay to Toronto... blah, blah... But like I said, they don't have to trade him, so if Carolina wants him, here are the options on my value menu. The question is which one makes the most sense from them *IF* they were to pull the trigger on one of the 4 options presented.

Leafs are likely okay with sending B/C prospect (Timashov/Borgman type) back or a Leivo/Ennis as well to balance contracts or if Carolina wants a small add.
Trades
CAR
    Nylander (Option 1)

Straight up 1-for-1 deal along the lines of Jones for Johansen
    CAR
      Nylander (Option 2)
      CAR
        Nylander (Option 3)
        TOR
        1. Ferland, Micheal
        2. Pesce, Brett
        3. 2020 2nd round pick (CAR)
        Additional Details:
        Conditional Pick: Becomes a 2020 unprotected 1st if the Leafs don't resign Ferlund.
        CAR
          Nylander (Option 4)
          Buyouts
          Retained Salary Transactions
          DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the BUF
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CGY
          Logo of the BOS
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the BUF
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the BUF
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          Logo of the CAR
          ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
          17$79,500,000$38,622,499$0$1,700,000$40,877,501
          Left WingCentreRight Wing
          Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
          $1,800,000$1,800,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 1
          $6,000,000$6,000,000
          C, LW
          NMC
          UFA - 5
          $4,500,000$4,500,000
          RW
          M-NTC
          UFA - 1
          $2,000,000$2,000,000
          C
          UFA - 4
          $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          C
          UFA - 1
          $2,860,000$2,860,000
          LW, RW
          UFA - 1
          $887,500$887,500
          LW, RW
          UFA - 1
          $695,000$695,000
          C, LW
          UFA - 1
          $750,000$750,000
          LW
          UFA - 1
          $675,000$675,000
          C
          UFA - 2
          $675,000$675,000
          LW
          UFA - 2
          Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
          $4,150,000$4,150,000
          G
          M-NTC
          UFA - 3
          $4,550,000$4,550,000
          LD/RD
          UFA - 4
          $1,500,000$1,500,000
          G
          UFA - 1
          $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
          LD/RD
          UFA - 1
          $850,000$850,000
          G
          UFA - 1
          $2,300,000$2,300,000
          RD
          UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
          • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 2:46 p.m.
          Ya carolina wouldn't trade svech straight up for nylander so option 4 is terrible.
          Lenny7 liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 2:52 p.m.
          Armchair GM Addict
          Quoting: wojme
          Ya carolina wouldn't trade svech straight up for nylander so option 4 is terrible.

I doubt that as well, though I threw it up as an option anyway to gauge opinion. It is possible that Carolina see Nylander as a C and place more value on him due to that. Of the other 3 options, which makes the most sense for Carolina in your opinion? (If they were to pull the trigger on one the options presented.)
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 2:54 p.m.
          Dubas for Prez
          Quoting: TML_GM
          they don't have to trade him, so if Carolina wants him, here are the options on my value menu.

Well put
          OldNYIfan liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 2:54 p.m.
          tomato
          I would probably do anyone of those trades except the Hamilton trade. The canes probably aren't desperate enough to do most of them though. They are definitely not giving up Svechnikov anytime soon, and hes the only real reason i would accept any deal revolving around Faulk.
          OldNYIfan liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 2:56 p.m.
          Quoting: TML_GM
          I doubt that as well, though I threw it up as an option anyway to gauge opinion. It is possible that Carolina see Nylander as a C and place more value on him due to that. Of the other 3 options, which makes the most sense for Carolina in your opinion? (If they were to pull the trigger on one the options presented.)

They would get an actual center capable of playing the top line role, aka someone like draisatl. Of the other three, option three would probably be the closest imo, but we all know how Carolina fans feel about adding to pesce for nylander
          Lenny7 and OldNYIfan liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
          Armchair GM Addict
          Quoting: wojme
          They would get an actual center capable of playing the top line role, aka someone like draisatl. Of the other three, option three would probably be the closest imo, but we all know how Carolina fans feel about adding to pesce for nylander

Sure, though the Oilers aren't likely open to moving Draisatl, unless Carolina is willing to take back a big money contract like Lucic with the Canes still paying that premium price. Highly unlikely given the Carolina budget.

Carolina fans aside, I think something like 3 is the most likely result as well. Or some bastardized version of 3 and 2 with Pesce being the D coming back to Toronto.
          wojme and OldNYIfan liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 3:03 p.m.
          Lenny7
          You really cherry picked the points on your "dealing from strength/weakness" list.

-New owner in Carolina. I'm sure making the playoffs would be great, but one would have to assume that he has no intention of overpaying to get a player.
          -Sure they can score in bunches right now. Nobody has any doubt that the Leafs can score. Heck, they've even kept the puck out of their own net really well this year. The big question you should ask yourself though: "Am I comfortable with my D core when we hit the playoffs?" or, better yet, "Am I comfortable with the D that I have when it's the 3rd period of game 7 against Boston?".
          -Carolina needs a center. They NEED a center. If I'm throwing a d-man out the door, I'm making sure it's for an impact player that plays up the middle.

You say Toronto doesn't NEED to trade Nylander, and you're spot on. But you're forgetting that the Canes also don't NEED to trade any of Pesce, Slavin, Hamilton or Faulk. And if they chose to move any of those guys, there'd be 25+ teams lined up to deal with them. Heck, one of them might even give them a guy that already signed.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 3:15 p.m.
          Armchair GM Addict
          Quoting: Lenny7
          You really cherry picked the points on your "dealing from strength/weakness" list.

-New owner in Carolina. I'm sure making the playoffs would be great, but one would have to assume that he has no intention of overpaying to get a player.
          -Sure they can score in bunches right now. Nobody has any doubt that the Leafs can score. Heck, they've even kept the puck out of their own net really well this year. The big question you should ask yourself though: "Am I comfortable with my D core when we hit the playoffs?" or, better yet, "Am I comfortable with the D that I have when it's the 3rd period of game 7 against Boston?".
          -Carolina needs a center. They NEED a center. If I'm throwing a d-man out the door, I'm making sure it's for an impact player that plays up the middle.

You say Toronto doesn't NEED to trade Nylander, and you're spot on. But you're forgetting that the Canes also don't NEED to trade any of Pesce, Slavin, Hamilton or Faulk. And if they chose to move any of those guys, there'd be 25+ teams lined up to deal with them. Heck, one of them might even give them a guy that already signed.

I wouldn't say I cherry picked those strengths/weaknesses, though you're welcome to expand the list or come up with your own.
          Some of what you have listed here can also be turned around:
          - New owner who promised results and a commitment to the team, rich dudes hate being embarrassed while losing money
          - Leafs D has looked far better than past years to this point, even Gardiner isn't giving me panic attacks every game. Is it the ideal D, no. Is it something I sweat at playoff time? Not really, especially with Rielly's emergence and Dermott's growth. I'm more concerned with their lack of physical push back as a team than their D come playoff time.
          - Not exactly a line up of teams offering high end young centers at this point of the season, that's more of a draft deal sort of play usually (if any are available)

And again, the point of this is that *IF* Carolina wants to trade Nylander, which of these options makes the most sense for them. I didn't say they needed him, it is if they think they need him and want to pull the trigger.
          OldNYIfan liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 3:21 p.m.
          STH
          As a Canes fan, who lives in Raleigh and has attended almost every single home game since our last playoff run. I can't see the team making any of these trades. We have a young team and we are in no rush. This was year 1 of the new path which everyone here tends to think is headed in a much better direction than the previous ownership/coach. We have the best AHL team in the league right now (13-3-1) with a ton of young guys who have potential. Let Svech keep developing, sign our core guys to long term deals and fix the ******* goaltending for god sakes. Everyone likes to say we need a C, which isnt completely wrong but we have Necas coming up, Aho has broken out as a legit C. J Staal is as steady as they come and Rask had an unfortunate injury that has really put us in a hard position to start the year at C. What we really need a is a damn reliable goaltender. Can Willy play G? If so Id propose Slavs, Aho and the ghosts of Brindy and Williams from 2006.
          Lenny7 and OldNYIfan liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 3:25 p.m.
          Bcarlo25
          oh dear god. I like how you posted this for the canes, like you're a cans fan.

All these trades are straight up robbery. Horrible. Awful. As is your premise that the leafs would be dealing from a position of strength in trade negotiations. Nylander is not signed, they would presumably be trading for signed, hockey playing NHL assets. that is not a position of strength.

These deals are the kind of thing that make leafs fans look like maniacs
          Lenny7 liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
          Lenny7
          Quoting: Rcsherwo
          As a Canes fan, who lives in Raleigh and has attended almost every single home game since our last playoff run. I can't see the team making any of these trades. We have a young team and we are in no rush. This was year 1 of the new path which everyone here tends to think is headed in a much better direction than the previous ownership/coach. We have the best AHL team in the league right now (13-3-1) with a ton of young guys who have potential. Let Svech keep developing, sign our core guys to long term deals and fix the ******* goaltending for god sakes. Everyone likes to say we need a C, which isnt completely wrong but we have Necas coming up, Aho has broken out as a legit C. J Staal is as steady as they come and Rask had an unfortunate injury that has really put us in a hard position to start the year at C. What we really need a is a damn reliable goaltender. Can Willy play G? If so Id propose Slavs, Aho and the ghosts of Brindy and Williams from 2006.

Agree with all of these points though. Necas looks like he's going to be a stud.

Haven't been watching Aho has a C yet, but he was already doing everything really well, so it doesn't surprise me that he's seen success.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 3:41 p.m.
          Once a Kings Fan Too
          Really nice for you to lay out various options. Unlike the dimwits who gave you one star, I actually read your Team Explanation and realized that you weren't offering your own opinion but soliciting others'. Now which one of the two of us is going to be brave enough to offer the other alternatives: forwards and prospects and picks (i.e., no defenseman)?
          NucksFanForLife liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 4:08 p.m.
          Lenny7
          Quoting: OldNYIfan
          Really nice for you to lay out various options. Unlike the dimwits who gave you one star, I actually read your Team Explanation and realized that you weren't offering your own opinion but soliciting others'. Now which one of the two of us is going to be brave enough to offer the other alternatives: forwards and prospects and picks (i.e., no defenseman)?

Let's leave the name calling at the door. No reason to call anyone here "dimwits" or anything else for that matter.

Here's my brave alternative: Skip this garbage and offer sheet Nylander. 8 year, $7.5 mil. Give up the 1st, 2nd and 3rd and move on. If the Leafs match, great! We can all move on to arguing about Shea Weber's value again. If they don't, the Canes end up ultimately giving away less than EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE TRADES.

Here's why:
          -Pesce is a RH top 4 dman who's on a great contract. His value around the league is likely a 1st, 2nd and something.
          -Slavin is even better. Let's say a couple of 1sts +++
          -Faulk is likely the cheapest of the three, given that he's only under contract through next season. Probably a 1st + prospect.
          -Svech was just picked 2nd overall.
          -Hamilton just netted Calgary an elite young dman + a 3rd line C. Gotta think he's valuable.

So yeah, there's my brave alternative.
          NucksFanForLife liked this.
          Nov. 19, 2018 at 4:22 p.m.
          If I was the Canes, then I'd offer Pesce, Foegele, Ferland, and a second as max value if nothing else worked. Svech, Slavin, and Hamilton are not worth trading unless a top goalie is the return. Pesce will eventually be expendable, the Canes have tons of forward prospects Foegele leaving would hardly be felt. This type of player is rarely available and the Canes need scoring and should capitalize on the opportunity. I love the work and explanation, though I tend to think that they're overpayments as you said at the end.

To create a post please Login or Register
          Question:
          Options:
          Add Option
          Submit Poll